PDA

View Full Version : Hardy ready by TC?

Slim
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
According to DJ's press confrence today, it sounds like theres a good chance it will happen.

Here's CB's blog about it.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/02/19/hardy-to-be-ready-early-in-training-camp/

This makes going after a wide out in free agnecy (toomer, washington) not as much of a need. Although everyone is aware of Hardy's struggles. We have Lee, Reed, Parrish, Hardy, Jenkins, and Steve Johnson all under contract. Thats 6 wrs heading into TC. Although its possible for the bills to carry seven i highly doubt it. Especially since Steve Johnson had a nice catch or two at the end of the season.

PECKERWOOD
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I still would like a WR maybe in the 3rd...

Brian Robiskie or Louis Murphy, maybe?

FlyingDutchman
02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
If he comes back that quickly, I worry about his long term health. Ive torn knee ligaments, youre not the same until at least a year. You can manage on it, but wont be the same and he may be vulnerable to another injury.

Mudflap1
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Are you people serious? We need another, bonafide, legitimate, wide receiver. Hardy sucked last year. Maybe he'll pan out, but blowing out his ACL certainly didn't help the possibility of him not sucking get any better.

We need to stop coddling the ass clowns on this roster. There needs to be major upgrades at the receiver position.

Jon

more cowbell
02-19-2009, 05:17 PM
james hardy did nothing to warrant him any playing time next season. He made one nice catch for a TD against jacksonville and thats it.

with or without him we still need to add a recieving threat

FlyingDutchman
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
why is everyone so quick to discount Hardy? sure he didnt do what we were hoping, but neither did the Bills in general. Its not like he was dropping balls. We just didnt get it to him. Hell what did Evans really do?

Slim
02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Are you people serious? We need another, bonafide, legitimate, wide receiver. Hardy sucked last year. Maybe he'll pan out, but blowing out his ACL certainly didn't help the possibility of him not sucking get any better.

We need to stop coddling the ass clowns on this roster. There needs to be major upgrades at the receiver position.

Jon
Everyone on this board would love to have a stud wr lined up opposite Evans. But thats not going to happen this year. The BEST case scenario is Toomer. Unless we do well in FA and Maclins on the board at 11. I'm just saying with Hardy healthy we have 6 WR's. Not to mention we have alot of money tied up in Parrish, Evans, and Reed.

Mudflap1
02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Everyone on this board would love to have a stud wr lined up opposite Evans. But thats not going to happen this year. The BEST case scenario is Toomer. Unless we do well in FA and Maclins on the board at 11. I'm just saying with Hardy healthy we have 6 WR's. Not to mention we have alot of money tied up in Parrish, Evans, and Reed.

It's not going to happen becuase the Bills are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. Houshmandzadeh, Charles Johnson, and even gun-toting Plaxico Burress would be major upgrades to this offense. Will the Bills go after someone like that? Nooooooooooooooo. Makes too much sense, costs too much money, and the Bills have the reputation of being bottom feeders and a second rate franchise.

As for Hardy, he didn't get passes thrown his way because he couldn't run an f'n pattern other than a fade route, and when the ball was thrown his way, he couldn't use his mammoth frame to box out 5-9 defensive backs. The guy sucked. Maybe he'll pan out eventually, but a real football team wouldn't wait around to find out. They'd go out and find someone who can play, and see if this guy can develop along the way. Won't happen though. Makes too much sense and actually means the team has out outbid and outhustle other franchises for a difference-making playmaker.

Get yer heads out of the sand.

Jon

Slim
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
It's not going to happen becuase the Bills are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. Houshmandzadeh, Charles Johnson, and even gun-toting Plaxico Burress would be major upgrades to this offense. Will the Bills go after someone like that? Nooooooooooooooo. Makes too much sense, costs too much money, and the Bills have the reputation of being bottom feeders and a second rate franchise.

As for Hardy, he didn't get passes thrown his way because he couldn't run an f'n pattern other than a fade route, and when the ball was thrown his way, he couldn't use his mammoth frame to box out 5-9 defensive backs. The guy sucked. Maybe he'll pan out eventually, but a real football team wouldn't wait around to find out. They'd go out and find someone who can play, and see if this guy can develop along the way. Won't happen though. Makes too much sense and actually means the team has out outbid and outhustle other franchises for a difference-making playmaker.

Get yer heads out of the sand.

Jon

I'm not agianst you Jon. I'm right with you in agreeing that Hardy sucked last year. And I dont beleive Steve Johnson will be the answer either. We just have more pressing needs. Reed is servicable. A pass catching tight end is a bigger need than a #2 Wr at this point. We need a DE, OLB or MLB, TE, C, more than we need a 7th WR on this team. Although, i agree, withing the next few years (if Hardy doesn't pan out, which isn't looking to good at the moment), we need to adress the position.

Akhippo
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I think going after Mile Austin/Reggie Williams/Michael Jenkins or a SOLID #3 would be more beneficial. Then add a receiving tight end and we would be alot more potent.

Unless we are going to trade Lee for a #1 like Fitgerald or the such, we have to live with him as the go to. Add in Reed as security and clutch, that leaves a spot for a RELIABLE go to third. Parrish is to small and inconsistent and Hardy was a rookie and Johson may make the push.

I just hope Hardy doesnt turn into the Dolphins Yatil Green. High hopes until a torn knee; then nothing.

TigerJ
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I suspect that when a dedicated athlete rehabs a knee reconstruction, it's different from the way an average Joe does it. I think they have the time and the motivation to do a lot more of the exercises that strengthen the joint. That plus the advances made in knee reconstruction surgery make that timetable believeable to me. However, a healthy James Hardy is still something of an enigma. He was a disappointment last season. Lots of receivers take some time to get acclimated to the NFL and don't do much their first season, but there are no guarantees that even as a healthy player he's going to get a lot better. Buffalo has more obvious needs that they have to address. They'll need to focus on those first, but if they can do that AND hedge their bet on Hardy, that would be a good thing.

OpIv37
02-19-2009, 11:02 PM
According to DJ's press confrence today, it sounds like theres a good chance it will happen.

Here's CB's blog about it.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/02/19/hardy-to-be-ready-early-in-training-camp/

This makes going after a wide out in free agnecy (toomer, washington) not as much of a need. Although everyone is aware of Hardy's struggles. We have Lee, Reed, Parrish, Hardy, Jenkins, and Steve Johnson all under contract. Thats 6 wrs heading into TC. Although its possible for the bills to carry seven i highly doubt it. Especially since Steve Johnson had a nice catch or two at the end of the season.

In terms of quantity, that's plenty of WR's.

In terms of quality, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I could see Johnson moving up to #2 on the depth chart because Parrish sucks as WR and Reed is best suited for the #3 position.

Yasgur's Farm
02-20-2009, 07:35 AM
1) Yes... Hardy had a less than stellar rookie season. But I have no doubt he will grow into a very capable #2.

2) The only reason anyone's surprised by his availability at TC... They believed the haters who tried to make his injury sound career threatening. It's always been 6 to 9 months to 100%.

3) Yes... We need to address WR this offseason.
:historian: a) Either bring in a vet #2 Holt, Harrison, Toomer, etc to allow Hardy and Johnson
to mature. Or...
:historian: b) Trade for Boldin, Edwards or some other stud. Or...
:historian: c) Draft Jeremy Maclin at #11

jamze132
02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
1) Yes... Hardy had a less than stellar rookie season. But I have no doubt he will grow into a very capable #2.

2) The only reason anyone's surprised by his availability at TC... They believed the haters who tried to make his injury sound career threatening. It's always been 6 to 9 months to 100%.

3) Yes... We need to address WR this offseason.
:historian: a) Either bring in a vet #2 Holt, Harrison, Toomer, etc to allow Hardy and Johnson
to mature. Or...
:historian: b) Trade for Boldin, Edwards or some other stud. Or...
:historian: c) Draft Jeremy Maclin at #11
3a,b,and c are not going to happen.

If Buffalo wants to improve there offense, they must first improve the C position, then the TE position. We have enough receivers under contract that we aren't bringing in a stud muffin.

TedMock
02-20-2009, 08:07 AM
If he comes back that quickly, I worry about his long term health. Ive torn knee ligaments, youre not the same until at least a year. You can manage on it, but wont be the same and he may be vulnerable to another injury.

If he comes back that fast I worry about steroid suspensions.

Yasgur's Farm
02-20-2009, 09:15 AM
3a,b,and c are not going to happen.

If Buffalo wants to improve there offense, they must first improve the C position, then the TE position. We have enough receivers under contract that we aren't bringing in a stud muffin.I understand your priorities... Mine are actually DE, OLB, C.

But I'm hoping that some of these are addressed through free agency or trade. Making it possible to draft BPA rounds 1 and 2... DE, DT, OT, WR, TE whatever. Furthermore, I don't see it being practical to pick a C at #11... Way too much of a reach IMO. If we're forced to draft need at #11 it will be Curry, Raji or 1 of the other DE's or OLB's ranked top 15 or so.

We'll just have to wait it out to see who we acquire between February 27th and the draft.

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM
I think going after Mile Austin/Reggie Williams/Michael Jenkins or a SOLID #3 would be more beneficial. Then add a receiving tight end and we would be alot more potent.

Unless we are going to trade Lee for a #1 like Fitgerald or the such, we have to live with him as the go to. Add in Reed as security and clutch, that leaves a spot for a RELIABLE go to third. Parrish is to small and inconsistent and Hardy was a rookie and Johson may make the push.

I just hope Hardy doesnt turn into the Dolphins Yatil Green. High hopes until a torn knee; then nothing.

no. Thats all we have is solid #3's, aside from Lee. Reggie Williams is just a slower James Hardy who actually knows how to use his size, and not much else. Jenkins would be good but he signed an extension with Atl at the seasons's end, if i'm not mistaken. And Miles Austin? He only looked good because he had TO, Jason Witten, Patrick Crayton, Marion, Felix Jones, etc on the field with him.

If we are going to get a WR at all, we need to get a LEGIT #2, and make Reed our #3.

justasportsfan
02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
yup, Hardy will have his gun ready by training camp.

Maybe he and Lynch can go to a shooting range.

madness
02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this is their way of telling us they aren't thinking about signing a vet #2 in FA?

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this is their way of telling us they aren't thinking about signing a vet #2 in FA?
:err:

Mahdi
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM

Jon
I would wait till our QB actually throws towards Hardy before I blame Hardy for playing badly. I would actually wait till our QB actually throws further than 10 yards before I blame any receiver on the Bills.

justasportsfan
02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I would wait till our QB actually throws towards Hardy before I blame Hardy for playing badly. I would actually wait till our QB actually throws further than 10 yards before I blame any receiver on the Bills.
I agree. Our coaches are conservative and love to conservatively ease players into the field. We also shouldn't care who was drafted where and just plug people in there like the saints did with Colston. IMO Steve Johnson would've contributed more if we just stuck him in there sooner than later.

madness
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Our QB is waiting for Hardy to run the right routes and line up on the correct side of the field and actually have a WR or a TE competent enough to get open 10 yards down the field before the pocket breaks down. Behind Evans and Reed, Fred Jackson is our next best receiving option and there is obviously something wrong with that.

It's called a two-way street. Hardy obviously has a lot to learn just as does Trent and to expect an immediate return from either would be unrealistic. There's also way to many holes on this offense to lay blame on just any single player. Every offensive player besides maybe F. Jackson needs to step up their game this year.

Mahdi
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Our QB is waiting for Hardy to run the right routes and line up on the correct side of the field and actually have a WR or a TE competent enough to get open 10 yards down the field before the pocket breaks down. Behind Evans and Reed, Fred Jackson is our next best receiving option and there is obviously something wrong with that.

It's called a two-way street. Hardy obviously has a lot to learn just as does Trent and to expect an immediate return from either would be unrealistic. There's also way to many holes on this offense to lay blame on just any single player. Every offensive player besides maybe F. Jackson needs to step up their game this year.
For the record im not knocking Trent. He is young and does have a lot to learn but he or the offense maybe is VERY conservative in their approach towards execution, play-calling and use of young players. Steve Johnson being a good example.

madness
02-20-2009, 12:31 PM
For the record im not knocking Trent. He is young and does have a lot to learn but he or the offense maybe is VERY conservative in their approach towards execution, play-calling and use of young players. Steve Johnson being a good example.

This offense is just as young and we need consistent execution of even the basic stuff before we start taking more aggressive shots. This whole team is plagued with inconsistent play which is a big part of what's holding it back from winning... consistently. :D

I certainly would have loved to see more of Steve Johnson and there is a good chance we will see that happen this year but I don't see any fault with how his situation was handled. He was very raw coming into camp but was one of the hardest working rookies getting the playbook down and polishing his route running during the season. Being on the field does help at a certain point but there's a lot of study and prep that goes into getting ready for a game each week and I'd rather have my rookies focusing on getting walking down pat before I make them run. I think Steve Johnson got in the game when he was finally ready. Should he have gotten more work once the season was lost? Now that's definitely debatable.

Akhippo
02-20-2009, 02:35 PM
We dont have a solid #3. We have our #1 and #2. If we add a capable TE, thats our 3rd. Then the backs out of the backfield. We need a #3 that will be were he is suppose to be and is consistent.

Toomer and Holt and the such; old wideouts, dont do the trick for what we are in need of. They just remind me of Moulds in Houston. He was a veteran #1 who couldnt pull his weight. Give me a three or four year vet who could possibly push for a second, but is darn good as a third.

IUbills
02-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Hardy will be a Stud-----Maybe for another team but he will be a stud in the NFL

acehole
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
James aim for the stars and you may hit your Dad...