PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Multiple Coles threads.

Michael82
03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
According to this other website that I was reading, (The guy who writes for them has actually scooped other writers a few times last offseason.) Coles does have a deadline. Check it out.....

Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/safety_jim_leonard_visits_new.html) that the Bills are the team pursuing WR Laveranues Coles hardest. Hutchinson also mentions that two teams thought to be interested in bidding on Coles' services, the Dolphins and Browns, have already dropped out of the running. Teams like Cincinnati may enter the bidding (depending on what happens today with T.J. Houshmandzadeh), but right now, it's "Buffalo or wait" for Coles.

The Bills, however, are playing their cards correctly on this. Obviously the team wants him here, but they're not going to leave an offer dangling out there forever so that Coles can use it as leverage if a new team enters the bidding. We felt sure, and it was confirmed to us by a source close to the team, that the Bills have an end date on their offer to Coles. They'll pull the offer and move on before getting into a bidding war with him, and that's the smart play. It's on Coles' shoulders from here.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/

Mski
03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
good find mikey.... seems like the right move, currently we are only bidding against ourselves

jimbohastle51
03-02-2009, 12:46 PM
no one is going to bid against us. cincy has chad and 2 second round picks from a year ago! andre caldwell and jerome simpson, not too mention chris henry is either still in the fold or could be brought right back and already knows there system. they have zero need for coles. he is not the same type of receiver they are losing in housh so they will not bid against us. they may make a small offer (kinda of a take it or leave it low ball) just to see if he signs it but i dont see anyone having the kind of interest the bills are reported to have. from what i understand free agency is on hold pretty much for the bills until they see if coles signs, so obviously it must be a handsome contract. i mean the bills havnt even scheduled a visit for today?? obviously they want this guy bad!

FlyingDutchman
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
this has to be a tough spot for Coles. Im sure he wants to go to a team that is a serious contender and get paid at the same time. Looks like hes gonna have to take one or the other but cant have em both. This may be his last contract.

psubills62
03-02-2009, 12:55 PM
no one is going to bid against us. cincy has chad and 2 second round picks from a year ago! andre caldwell and jerome simpson, not too mention chris henry is either still in the fold or could be brought right back and already knows there system. they have zero need for coles. he is not the same type of receiver they are losing in housh so they will not bid against us. they may make a small offer (kinda of a take it or leave it low ball) just to see if he signs it but i dont see anyone having the kind of interest the bills are reported to have. from what i understand free agency is on hold pretty much for the bills until they see if coles signs, so obviously it must be a handsome contract. i mean the bills havnt even scheduled a visit for today?? obviously they want this guy bad!

Not to mention that they are in decent position to pick either Crabtree or Maclin, two of the best receivers in a deep WR draft class.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but rotoworld is reporting that Cincy is becoming the front-runner for Housh. The only problem is...will this mean Minnesota or Seattle are going to be interested in Coles?

Mr. Pink
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm gonna laugh when he ends up back as a Jet making even less money than he was originally scheduled to make this season.

don137
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
this has to be a tough spot for Coles. Im sure he wants to go to a team that is a serious contender and get paid at the same time. Looks like hes gonna have to take one or the other but cant have em both. This may be his last contract.
I think right now Coles wants to go to the highest bidder. If everyone backs out (i.e. the Bills deadline comes and they pull the offer, Cinci signs TJ, etc) then he will have to lower his demands drastically and then choose a team that has championship asprations but right now Coles realizes this may be his last big signing bonus.

Pinkerton Security
03-02-2009, 01:02 PM

uh the poor soab, the Bills, Bengals, Browns were bidding for him? If he is looking for a contender out of those 3 its crazy to say that even at this point we're in the best shape, IMO. Browns have some problems, and I think last year was no fluke for them.

Mitchell55
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
uh the poor soab, the Bills, Bengals, Miami were bidding for him? If he is looking for a contender out of those 3 its crazy to say that even at this point we're in the best shape, IMO. Browns have some problems, and I think last year was no fluke for them.

fixed

Pinkerton Security
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
fixed

thanks buckaroo, but the browns were also in there.

jimbohastle51
03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Not to mention that they are in decent position to pick either Crabtree or Maclin, two of the best receivers in a deep WR draft class.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but rotoworld is reporting that Cincy is becoming the front-runner for Housh. The only problem is...will this mean Minnesota or Seattle are going to be interested in Coles?

no way, seattle has HUGE money in deon branch, and minnesota has berrian that already gets about 8 million a year and sidney rice who they draft in the 2nd round 2 years ago. they wanted housh to be a #1 not a complement. they would have no use for him. if seattle losses out on housh they know they shouldnt have a problem getting crabtree either so they are not going to pay crabtree, branch, and give coles 5-6 million a year. now i wouldnt be surprised to see hackett end up back in seattle, that would be a nice signing for them.

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Dont count Seattle out for Coles if they dont get TJ.

Mitchell55
03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Dont count Seattle out for Coles if they dont get TJ.

They need a bigger WR

Mr. Pink
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
They need a bigger WR

You do realize that Coles is an extremely physical WR right?

And plays much bigger than his 5'11" 195 size.

Mski
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
They need a bigger WR

yes size is nice.. but its not required... i think we all got too tied up on the ""small receiver"" kick last year because we didnt have one on the team... but coles is a very physical reciever, who out plays his smallish size

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
They don’t need a “bigger” WR.. They need a WR who can catch the ball.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
There is little doubt after TJ is gone, that Coles is the next best possession WR left in FA. I wouldn’t be surprised if <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Minnesota</st1:State> or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle</st1:place></st1:City> makes a play for him.<o:p></o:p>
Not to say Coles doesn’t sign with <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>, I’m saying things change in an instant.<o:p></o:p>

in the 30 minutes this thread has been open, Roosevelt Barnes, his agent, has probably talked to four teams; just like all agents do before their client is signed.<o:p></o:p>

Raptor
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
They need a bigger WR

They need a WR who will be healthy and talented, Coles fits both those

Michael82
03-02-2009, 02:09 PM
They don’t need a “bigger” WR.. They need a WR who can catch the ball.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
There is little doubt after TJ is gone, that Coles is the next best possession WR left in FA. I wouldn’t be surprised if <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Minnesota</st1:State> or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle</st1:place></st1:City> makes a play for him.<o:p></o:p>
Not to say Coles doesn’t sign with <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>, I’m saying things change in an instant.<o:p></o:p>

in the 30 minutes this thread has been open, Roosevelt Barnes, his agent, has probably talked to four teams; just like all agents do before their client is signed.<o:p></o:p>
****! This isn't what we need. Come on Buffalo! Just up the damn offer and get him to sign on the dotted line.... :nervous:

mybills
03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
:pray:

X-Era
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7537

Read down a ways:

A league source said that the Bengals have reached out to Coles but they couldn't get him into Cincinnati Monday because of the bad weather back East but he's expected Tuesday.

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Ya got the exclamation point up on thread title like this is a good thing? Unless you don't want Coles?

There is a good chance we're not landing him now. And I don't care what stage of a Bills fan you are, if we lose a guy that clearly covet to the Bengals, it means one of two things.

1- Wilson is no longer willing to pay the money, after feeling burned by the Dockery deal, the same as he refuses to hire an actual real GM, after being burned by Donahoe.

2- This franchise is seeking to a new level of pathetic.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Ya got the exclamation point up on thread title like this is a good thing? Unless you don't want Coles?

There is a good chance we're not landing him now. And I don't care what stage of a Bills fan you are, if we lose a guy that clearly covet to the Bengals, it means one of two things.

1- Wilson is no longer willing to pay the money, after feeling burned by the Dockery deal, the same as he refuses to hire an actual real GM, after being burned by Donahoe.

There fixed it.

Anwyas, this is not good.

I can honestly say Im sickened by the Bills right now.

I hope we still land him but Im pretty ticked right now.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

You go from doing so well in reporting facts to pure speculation and back to bias. How can this be any fault of the Bills? It was clear Coles was not in love with Buffalo and was going to look around more no matter what Buffalo did.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
You go from doing so well in reporting facts to pure speculation and back to bias. How can this be any fault of the Bills? It was clear Coles was not in love with Buffalo and was going to look around more no matter what Buffalo did.
Why cant the Bills stick it to him?

Why cant the Bills say that if he visits with Cinnci our offer if off the table!

Tell him, if he goes there, our deal no longer exists.

It seems dick-ish, but the guy is clearly jerking our chain and thats not right either. Hes sitting on our money and waiting for anyone to make an offer.

Night Train
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
We need to find a Guard ! A WR is way down the priority list.

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm here on this board, and have been for several years, because it is a forum to express my opinon and openly be biased at times. That's the primary reason I like it so much. When I'm writing a piece or reporting something I'm not allowed that luxury.

If I have a report out or a thread with updates, then it's a total different story. I enjoy having two entirely different personna's on BZ

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm here on this board, and have been for several years, because it is a forum to express my opinon and openly be biased at times. That's the primary reason I like it so much. When I'm writing a piece or reporting something I'm not allowed that luxury.

If I have a report out or a thread with updates, then it's a total different story. I enjoy having two entirely different personna's on BZ

But your opinion is based on nothing and is completely contrary to everything you've reported thus far basically. In no way have the Bills been cheap in any regard towards Coles. As you reported he was highly coveted by the Bills brass, so where does your claim of being cheap come from exactly?

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Because you and everybody else on this board do the same thing...what's your problem with it? This is a message board and a place for people to express their opinions...you do it, I do it, why shouldn't he be able to do it? Can we stop judging people on their opinions already? I mean seriously?

X-Era
03-02-2009, 05:45 PM
But your opinion is based on nothing and is completely contrary to everything you've reported thus far basically. In no way have the Bills been cheap in any regard towards Coles. As you reported he was highly coveted by the Bills brass, so where does your claim of being cheap come from exactly?

Are we blowing him away with an offer that his agent knows no one else will pay? No were not.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Why cant the Bills say that if he visits with Cinnci our offer if off the table!

It seems dick-ish, but the guy is clearly jerking our chain and thats not right either. Hes sitting on our money and waiting for anyone to make an offer.

They are welcome to, it would be stupid imo, but they are welcome to do it.

Coles has every right to get the biggest contract he can, for anybody to try and say he doesnt deserve that is crap and just being bias. In no way is he "dicking" us around. He never once made any comment towards committing to Buffalo.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Are we blowing him away with an offer that his agent knows no one else will pay? No were not.

And you know this because, you've seen the figures yourself? I never said we are blowing him away, but nobody has made any comment towards us being cheap in any way. You guys are overreacting because your upset we MAY lose him, since nothing is done yet.

Dujek
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, well Chris Brown has been pushing the idea that Torry Holt is a viable option. No doubt we'll waste valuable picks on a guy even older than Coles rather than pony up the cash to make him ignore other offers.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/03/02/wr-holt-still-being-shopped/

He's also pimping Amani Toomer.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/03/02/toomer-waiting-for-the-phone-to-ring/

I think those two entries tell us all we need to know about Coles and the Bills. He's as good as a Bengal, and we're going to end up with a dinosaur at WR.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Because you and everybody else on this board do the same thing...what's your problem with it? This is a message board and a place for people to express their opinions...you do it, I do it, why shouldn't he be able to do it? Can we stop judging people on their opinions already? I mean seriously?

Of for christ sakes, take your violin and whine to somebody who actually cares. My point to Pat was that his "opinion" was based on no facts at all and contrary to what he himself had been reporting. That the Bills do in fact covet Coles, there has been not one word breathed about the Bills being cheap. I have no issue with opinions unless they are baseless in which I will make a comment. You should know that by now.

jimbohastle51
03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
no way we can loose coles to cinci. nothing against there city but our team is 10 times better. besides carson palmer and chad johnson they have NO ONE PERIOD! THATS IT NO TALENT AT ALL! even the LT they gave the big extension to levi jones, is even horrible since he got paid. they have NO running game at all, and no defense at all. i mean this would be all time low. this is not over reacting and its not even about getting coles, its about pride at this point. we cannot start losing players to the smallest other smallest market team in football for no reason, other than a bad front office.

Nighthawk
Holt would be good addition...but it all depends on the compensation.

DraftBoy
Yeah, well Chris Brown has been pushing the idea that Torry Holt is a viable option. No doubt we'll waste valuable picks on a guy even older than Coles rather than pony up the cash to make him ignore other offers.

I think those two entries tell us all we need to know about Coles and the Bills. He's as good as a Bengal, and we're going to end up with a dinosaur at WR.

Now that truly sucks, because it means the Spin Machine is in full gear right now.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
They are welcome to, it would be stupid imo, but they are welcome to do it.

Coles has every right to get the biggest contract he can, for anybody to try and say he doesnt deserve that is crap and just being bias. In no way is he "dicking" us around. He never once made any comment towards committing to Buffalo.

So, he can just sit on our offer for days waiting for some other team to make an offer?

I guess he can do that.

I just think that it shows he has little to no real interest in us. That makes him a bit of a "player"

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Of for christ sakes, take your violin and whine to somebody who actually cares. My point to Pat was that his "opinion" was based on no facts at all and contrary to what he himself had been reporting. That the Bills do in fact covet Coles, there has been not one word breathed about the Bills being cheap. I have no issue with opinions unless they are baseless in which I will make a comment. You should know that by now.

Honestly, everybody's opininion on this message board are baseless. None of have a connection to what we are coming on here to discuss. That's all I'm saying...nobody's opinion is better or worse then any others. Hell, I don't agree with a lot of things you say, but it's your opinion....which is cool and the reason I come on here to debate back and forth. What Pat reports and how he feels are two different things and not necessarily going to be related.

Bulldog
03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Good luck selling tickets this year. This team is going to be terrible.

DBrown77
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM

No offense but.........

X-Era
And you know this because, you've seen the figures yourself? I never said we are blowing him away, but nobody has made any comment towards us being cheap in any way. You guys are overreacting because your upset we MAY lose him, since nothing is done yet.

Your right, I am upset... and I can see his side as well.

I want this team to get better and I want it as soon as possible. Right now, I honestly think we are worse than we were prior to FA. And thats for a 7-9 team.

Like I said, its not over yet.

But if he goes there and sign with them tomorrow before he leaves Cinnci, will you be ticked? I know I will.

DraftBoy
So, he can just sit on our offer for days waiting for some other team to make an offer?

I guess he can do that.

I just think that it shows he has little to no real interest in us. That makes him a bit of a "player"

I never said he had genuine interest, in fact I commented earlier in agreement with T that his actions thus far did not equal an amicable feeling towards the team as we did towards him. He is a FA, and his goal should be to get the most money possible in the best situation possible. Seattle is not a bad situation being in a weak division and having a stable QB and OL.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Honestly, everybody's opininion on this message board are baseless. None of have a connection to what we are coming on here to discuss. That's all I'm saying...nobody's opinion is better or worse then any others. Hell, I don't agree with a lot of things you say, but it's your opinion....which is cool and the reason I come on here to debate back and forth. What Pat reports and how he feels are two different things and not necessarily going to be related.

But when its contradictory, he better expect to get called on it. I get called on it, you get called on it. When I report draft news which is contrary to my own opinion, I get nailed for it. So because its his opinion suddenly it doesnt need to be based around facts and what has happened?

That makes no sense, Im sorry. And I didnt even trash him for it, I simply said that his opinion does not correlate with his own reporting of the facts. And that his actions had shown some indication that he was not in love with Buffalo. So while yes this 1000% sucks and stings, its not a complete shock either.

Mr. Pink
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm not upset.

I never thought we had a chance on Coles anyways.

I even said as such on another thread.

patmoran2006

How is my opinion contradictory to what I reported? I reported that the Bills very much covet Coles (and I've seen a report in the NJ Star Ledger state the same), and that's true.

But does that mean that my opinion is a contradiction? Who has Wilson hired as GM since Donahoe? A mouthpiece in Levy,and a guy with ZERO GM experience in Brandon, actually a guy who has more a pedigree in marketing than football operations. .THose are opinions, those are facts.

And as far as my other statement.. Yes, Fact the Bills do covet Coles. And I think it's a pretty fair assumption to say if you take that into account, and we lose him to the Bengals of all teams.. It truly does show that either we're too cheap to pay this player we covet, or that we've sunk to a really pathetic level of a franchise.

If we didn't care about Coles one way or the other that wouldn't be the case.. But we most definitely do want him here,and I'm shocked he hasn't been wrapped up.

We operate cash to cap, so our actual salary cap means nothing.. We saved $26.5 million on Dockery, which is likely going to guarenteed money to Peters. THat leaves us with all the cash to cap room to make a few moves (Hangartner and Fitpatrick weren't that expensive) and we're not aggressive with a WR we covet?

DraftBoy
Your right, I am upset... and I can see his side as well.

I want this team to get better and I want it as soon as possible. Right now, I honestly think we are worse than we were prior to FA. And thats for a 7-9 team.

Like I said, its not over yet.

But if he goes there and sign with them tomorrow before he leaves Cinnci, will you be ticked? I know I will.

Ticked? Yes, Surprised? No

And Ill be over it 20 seconds after I hear the news too. That's the NFL, this league is a business and it gets cut throat. **** happens, lets move on to whose next.

Maybe now we can target a S like Phillips or Jones.

gggbills
03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7537

Read down a ways:

A league source said that the Bengals have reached out to Coles but they couldn't get him into Cincinnati Monday because of the bad weather back East but he's expected Tuesday.

I would pull the offer off the table right now. I know that might seem like a knee-jerk reaction to some of you, but it is very clear he is now using our offer as leverage to get a better deal somewhere, (anywhere), else. I would pull the offer and move on our next desireed #2 WR...whoever that might be.

And I would do it TONIGHT!!!

X-Era
03-02-2009, 05:58 PM
If I were the Bills, I would bring in Marvin Harrison tomorrow whether we really want to sign him or not.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
How is my opinion contradictory to what I reported? I reported that the Bills very much covet Coles (and I've seen a report in the NJ Star Ledger state the same), and that's true.

But does that mean that my opinion is a contradiction? Who has Wilson hired as GM since Donahoe? A mouthpiece in Levy,and a guy with ZERO GM experience in Brandon, actually a guy who has more a pedigree in marketing than football operations. .THose are opinions, those are facts.

And as far as my other statement.. Yes, Fact the Bills do covet Coles. And I think it's a pretty fair assumption to say if you take that into account, and we lose him to the Bengals of all teams.. It truly does show that either we're too cheap to pay this player we covet, or that we've sunk to a really pathetic level of a franchise.

If we didn't care about Coles one way or the other that wouldn't be the case.. But we most definitely do want him here,and I'm shocked he hasn't been wrapped up.

We operate cash to cap, so our actual salary cap means nothing.. We saved $26.5 million on Dockery, which is likely going to guarenteed money to Peters. THat leaves us with all the cash to cap room to make a few moves (Hangartner and Fitpatrick weren't that expensive) and we're not aggressive with a WR we covet?

Show me ounce of evidence to support your claim that we either were cheap, which you can't because you've yourself tried over and over to get some kind of figures on him, or that it was all about team prestige. Which by the way the Bengals could easily be better than us next season. With some defensive improvements they could be a WC challenger. They still have Palmer and that's going to be a huge draw for them and CJ is obviously still going to be around which would help Coles out a lot too. Its not as cut and dry as the Bills suck and the Bengals don't its all a matter of perception at this point. Just because we lose him, doesnt mean either and you cannot provide any thing to support your opinion that it does. Sometimes guys just prefer somewhere else. Hell maybe it was because he thought Buffalo smelled (thank Doc!), who knows the real reason and we may never know. My point is, Im not going to get all bent out of shape because we didnt make a huge splash, yes Im pissed, yes Im frustrated, and no I dont have any faith in the FO. But I also can't just forget the facts as they have been presented to come up with an illogical opinion on what happened.

Dujek
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Now that truly sucks, because it means the Spin Machine is in full gear right now.

That's what I thought the instant I saw the Holt post earlier today. Now with the addition of Toomer to the CB blog it's obvious that they're trying to sell us one of those guys as a viable option.

Sickening.

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
No offense but.........

Wrong...I may not agree with your opinion, but I won't judge you, so please don't try to spin it. Me disagreeing with somebody is not judging them.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Wrong...I may not agree with your opinion, but I won't judge you, so please don't try to spin it. Me disagreeing with somebody is not judging them.

Ah but others doing it, is judging...got it! :up:

FYI, I didnt judge Pat, I like Pat, I respect Pat and he knows that. However he also is well aware that Ill call him out if I feel like he's wrong and I know he'll do the same to me. Id do the same to you or any other poster.

I dont judge any of you guys, I think you're all idiots already. :respect:

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Ticked? Yes, Surprised? No

And Ill be over it 20 seconds after I hear the news too. That's the NFL, this league is a business and it gets cut throat. **** happens, lets move on to whose next.

Maybe now we can target a S like Phillips or Jones.

That's the problem, this organization will miss out on somebody and then not have a backup plan or it seems that way. We'll see...I wouldn't mind one of those two guys.

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Ah but others doing it, is judging...got it! :up:

FYI, I didnt judge Pat, I like Pat, I respect Pat and he knows that. However he also is well aware that Ill call him out if I feel like he's wrong and I know he'll do the same to me. Id do the same to you or any other poster.

I dont judge any of you guys, I think you're all idiots already. :respect:
Dont have any problem with anything you said..

and for the record, I'd much rather have PHILLIPS OR JONES before Coles, in fact it's not even close.

However, I have not heard a single thing about either of them, or any SS for that matter linked to a Buffalo visit or contract offer. As of now anyway

X-Era
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Id rather trade for Holt than Harrison... Holt is more game ready and is only 32

http://www.nfl.com/players/torryholt/profile?id=HOL771651

http://www.nfl.com/players/marvinharrison/profile?id=HAR608874

X-Era
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM

and for the record, I'd much rather have PHILLIPS OR JONES before Coles, in fact it's not even close.

However, I have not heard a single thing about either of them, or any SS for that matter linked to a Buffalo visit or contract offer. As of now anyway

Have you heard anything at all about trading for Holt?

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 06:15 PM

As would I as I think #2 WR can be addressed at #11 via Crabtree and Maclin.

If we go into the Draft with no significant moves, that will bother me more than just losing out on Coles.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM

If we go into the Draft with no significant moves, that will bother me more than just losing out on Coles.

Why does either help us more than Holt for example?

Holt starts day one as #2, immediately demands coverage, and makes us better right away.

The other two (who I like by the way) cant make that promise.

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Before we say that Brown is in spin machine mode, remember how he talked down Stroud last year too.

I don't think he knows as much as others think he does. Half of the stuff he speculates on ends up being not true.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
I gotta believe Holt is very much an option if Harrison is but that both are under Coles on their FA board.

Holt because it will take a pick
Harrison because his knees are questionable and hes 36

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Why does either help us more than Holt for example?

Holt starts day one as #2, immediately demands coverage, and makes us better right away.

The other two (who I like by the way) cant make that promise.

Short term? They don't, but I stopped thinking short term about 5 years ago. This team is not making the playoffs next season, imo. The only reason you add stop gap vets is if you need the leadership for a playoff run. We aren't there so I dont see how adding Holt or Harrison helps us any.

LtFinFan66
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
I am sure TJ signing with Seattle doesn't help

guy
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
guys listen, the bills put an offer on the table, coles waites to see what tj does. He signs w/seatle, so now coles has the leverage to make some more money. the bills are not going to get into a bidding war w/seatle for coles, as nice as the signing would have been. it's not the end of FA. Besides it's not a done deal.

Goobylal
03-02-2009, 06:28 PM
The Bills don't "covet" Coles. If they did, they'd have given him what they wanted and already signed him by now. And reportedly they have a deadline by which he has to sign with them, or he's out of their plans. Frankly, I don't care either way. I'd much rather have Torry Holt, but don't like giving-up a draft pick (plus Holt's salary is huge).

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
It's not them losing Coles that pisses me off, it's them not working on getting other FA in here to sign. I don't need top shelf players, but I would like guys who are better then what we have and they are out there. It just doesn't seem this organization is making an effort to get better.

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
The Bills don't "covet" Coles. If they did, they'd have given him what they wanted and already signed him by now. And reportedly they have a deadline by which he has to sign with them, or he's out of their plans. Frankly, I don't care either way. I'd much rather have Torry Holt, but don't like giving-up a draft pick (plus Holt's salary is huge).
You're wrong. The BIlls do "covet" him.

The problem, or maybe it isn't a problem, is they are only willing to go so high for a 31-year old WR.

So from our end, its hard to blame us. We're not going to give him 4-5 years and 25-30 million.

And from Coles end, he wants to see if he can get a better deal.. Cinci may be wiling to pay that kind of money to him.

So nobody is really at fault per say, but that doesnt mean we don't "covet" him.

patmoran2006
03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
BTW.

WE're spending too much speculating and bickering about a WR when we should really be focused on other positions first.

Im dying to get some news about other positions players, but I have struck out all day long.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
It's not them losing Coles that pisses me off, it's them not working on getting other FA in here to sign. I don't need top shelf players, but I would like guys who are better then what we have and they are out there. It just doesn't seem this organization is making an effort to get better.

Now you see this pissed me off more than anything else. We seemed to put all our eggs into this one basket.

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Now you see this pissed me off more than anything else. We seemed to put all our eggs into this one basket.

I know...that is the most frustrating part of this entire thing.

B-DON
03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
well i guess the one good thing is that the bengals owner might be just as cheap as ralph is

don137
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Being 31 years old Coles probably wants as much guaranteed or up front money as he can get. I also feel he is using the Bills. I agree they should pull the offer at midnight tonight.
Move on and go to plan B. Their is enough free agents out there and enough holes that the Bills can address before the free agent well goes dry...

X-Era
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Chris seems to be saying they are willing to wait... also, Coles iis doing just what we are saying hes doing.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/03/03/coles-now-hoping-more-offers-surface/

jimbohastle51
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM

The problem, or maybe it isn't a problem, is they are only willing to go so high for a 31-year old WR.

So from our end, its hard to blame us. We're not going to give him 4-5 years and 25-30 million.

And from Coles end, he wants to see if he can get a better deal.. Cinci may be wiling to pay that kind of money to him.

So nobody is really at fault per say, but that doesnt mean we don't "covet" him.

another thing is guys, it isnt like cinci always pay high priced vets. they extend there draft players, they do not bring in high priced stud vets, or getting into bidding wars. there was an emotional attachment to Housh. buffalo is still very much alive in those talks if they want to be. what i want more understanding on is why are we not setting up visits with other players. and honestly if we do not sign coles i do not want to see an amani toomer signing unless they sign him quietly. the last thing i want is for the bills to sign the 35 year old receiver and have a press conference and try to sell the fans (and act like we are all idiots) that he is the guy that will get it done for us and so on. we all know if it comes to that it is because he would except peanuts. and coles wouldnt take 4million a year instead of the 6 he wanted.

Goobylal
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Our definitions of "covet" must be very different. When I hear "covet," I think "do whatever it takes to get him/her/it." The Bills "coveted" Dockery and as such paid him too much money. Likewise in this case, if they really "coveted" Coles, they would have met his demands of $6M/year and at least a 3 year deal. The fact that they have a deadline for him is even more telling.

I don't blame Coles for trying to get the most money he can. But he already made a huge mistake turning down the Jets' $6M 1-year deal. But if he thinks that going to Cincy and being the difference for that team, when they had Housh and didn't go anywhere, he's deluded as well.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Our definitions of "covet" must be very different. When I hear "covet," I think "do whatever it takes to get him/her/it." The Bills "coveted" Dockery and as such paid him too much money. Likewise in this case, if they really "coveted" Coles, they would have met his demands of $6M/year and at least a 3 year deal. The fact that they have a deadline for him is even more telling.

I don't blame Coles for trying to get the most money he can. But he already made a huge mistake turning down the Jets' $6M 1-year deal. But if he thinks that going to Cincy and being the difference for that team, when they had Housh and didn't go anywhere, he's deluded as well.

Ya know, just because we paid top dollar for Dockery and then he digressed, doesnt mean it will always go that way.

The Juice Is Loose
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Whats the point in having this whole youth movement if your going to bring in a wide receiver who

Was never anything special

Is barely bigger than Roscoe Parrish and clearly slower

Thinks he's worth about 3X what he actually is.

Thinks he's worth about 3X what he EVER was!

Is a whiney cry baby who, the second the coach or mngt does one thing he dissagree's with, will be crying to the TV cameras in two seconds.

I, for one, have been praying we don't sign this scrub since I heard his name

Keeping Greer would be ten times better for the team.

Seriously, the Jets have Cotchery and nobody else, and they felt, we don't want him anymore. WHY WOULD WE THEN WANT HIM?!?

Doesn't the fact that NOBODY IN THE WHOLE LEAGUE share's our interest? Bill Parcells, has less wide receiver depth, and Chad Pennington, and he doesn't want Coles.

If there's one opinion about football I value, its Parcells'. And he doesn't want Coles. So what's that say?

Thank GOD WE DIDN'T WASTE MONEY ON THE SEQUEL TO PEERLESS PRICE!!

superbills
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Let's put this word play to bed, shall we?

Covet transitive verb 1 : to wish for earnestly <covet an award> 2 : to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpably intransitive verb : to feel inordinate desire for what belongs to another

So, the Bills wish earnestly that Coles will accept their offer and be on the Bills. I also wish earnestly that I'l be able to run out tomorrow and buy the new truck I've been hoping for. Can the Bills afford Coles? Yes. Then can have what they covet if they are willing to pay the price, perhaps forcing them to sacrifice other things. Can I afford the SUV I want? Yes, if I'm willing to take on the payments and perhaps sacrifice other things. It's a matter of what is more important to you. Coveting something does not automatically mean it's the best idea nor does it mean you should drop everything and do "whatever it takes" to make it happen. Did I clarify adequately?

The Juice Is Loose
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
MATTER OF FACT

The mere fact that The Bengals and the Bills are the only two teams interested in this scrub, validates that this front office is CLUELESS!!!

gil
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
You make your point so much more convincingly when you use ALL CAPS!

Mahdi
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Who cares about Coles.... Develop Johnson.

The Spaz
03-02-2009, 07:00 PM
A lot of these new posters from BB.com are great....:monkeyp:

superbills
03-02-2009, 07:01 PM
From TFA linked to above:

"Coles isn’t all that different a receiver than Housh, though he is a bit more physical."
Coles is everything we hoped Josh Reed would be. His ability and consistency are supreme to Reed in every way which is why I'll be bummed if we don't get this guy. Combine Coles' ability with his physical play and you've got the perfect compliment to Evans. He will surely draw attention away from Evans and vice versa. That gives Trent more options and if our coaches are more competent than we give them credit for they'll be able to help Trent take advantage of this.

TacklingDummy
03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Frig Coles.

This team needs more than another midget receiver.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
This thread makes no sense at all given Coles production in recent years. And the Caps don't make your point anymore emphatically no matter how many times you use them.

Romes
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
WHY ARE WE YELLING!?

BleedinGreenNC
03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Whats the point in having this whole youth movement if your going to bring in a wide receiver who

Was never anything special

Is barely bigger than Roscoe Parrish and clearly slower

Thinks he's worth about 3X what he actually is.

Thinks he's worth about 3X what he EVER was!

Is a whiney cry baby who, the second the coach or mngt does one thing he dissagree's with, will be crying to the TV cameras in two seconds.

I, for one, have been praying we don't sign this scrub since I heard his name

Keeping Greer would be ten times better for the team.

Seriously, the Jets have Cotchery and nobody else, and they felt, we don't want him anymore. WHY WOULD WE THEN WANT HIM?!?

Doesn't the fact that NOBODY IN THE WHOLE LEAGUE share's our interest? Bill Parcells, has less wide receiver depth, and Chad Pennington, and he doesn't want Coles.

If there's one opinion about football I value, its Parcells'. And he doesn't want Coles. So what's that say?

Thank GOD WE DIDN'T WASTE MONEY ON THE SEQUEL TO PEERLESS PRICE!!

LOL!! nYou keep thinking that!! Coles was let go due to the roster bonus, not a speedster like he used to be, but a clutch receiver.

The Juice Is Loose
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
yeah he was so clutch for the jets over the years remember that game when he

or remember that one big play, oh wait, nevermind

he's never done squat.

raphael120
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
yeah he was so clutch for the jets over the years remember that game when he

or remember that one big play, oh wait, nevermind

he's never done squat.

check out what he doesn against the bills alone. he lit us UP every game.

Lone Stranger
03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
One day ago he was our hero.

Pinkerton Security
03-02-2009, 07:34 PM
barely bigger than roscoe doesnt mean s***. and for what its worth 5'11 189 is a hell of a lot bigger than 5'7 160. And if you knew anything abut football you'd see he plays much bigger than Parrish as well.

please go back to bb.com or wherever you came from.

bflobarry
03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Coles is rock solid, tough, good over the middle and after the catch. He would instantly make us better. I hope we get him.

jpdex12
03-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Show me ounce of evidence to support your claim that we either were cheap, which you can't because you've yourself tried over and over to get some kind of figures on him, or that it was all about team prestige. Which by the way the Bengals could easily be better than us next season. With some defensive improvements they could be a WC challenger. They still have Palmer and that's going to be a huge draw for them and CJ is obviously still going to be around which would help Coles out a lot too. Its not as cut and dry as the Bills suck and the Bengals don't its all a matter of perception at this point. Just because we lose him, doesnt mean either and you cannot provide any thing to support your opinion that it does. Sometimes guys just prefer somewhere else. Hell maybe it was because he thought Buffalo smelled (thank Doc!), who knows the real reason and we may never know. My point is, Im not going to get all bent out of shape because we didnt make a huge splash, yes Im pissed, yes Im frustrated, and no I dont have any faith in the FO. But I also can't just forget the facts as they have been presented to come up with an illogical opinion on what happened.

Why does Pat needs facts to prove that this organization's front office is cheap? Even if you are a poor fan of this team and hardly pay attention, that is enough to know that year in and year out this team does not break the bank on signing FA's and unfortunately the higher paid FA's that we do sign end up sucking because they find poor coaching and poor talent around them. Where are you going with this?

The Juice Is Loose
03-02-2009, 07:48 PM
barely bigger than roscoe doesnt mean s***. and for what its worth 5'11 189 is a hell of a lot bigger than 5'7 160. And if you knew anything abut football you'd see he plays much bigger than Parrish as well.

please go back to bb.com or wherever you came from.
lol. um how about no scott? just keep attacking me because of your love for laveurneus coles. the guy who has 2 teams, the bills and bengals, pretty much the two most pathetic franchises on earth, interested in him.

so the bills and bengals agree with you.

the rest of the nfl agrees with me.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Why does Pat needs facts to prove that this organization's front office is cheap? Even if you are a poor fan of this team and hardly pay attention, that is enough to know that year in and year out this team does not break the bank on signing FA's and unfortunately the higher paid FA's that we do sign end up sucking because they find poor coaching and poor talent around them. Where are you going with this?

Please don't question my fandom for this team. You have no idea about me, or my belief in this team. You are talking out of your own ass here.

As for your characterization of the Bills being cheap that has been proven inaccurate countless times over and over again and even Pat knows that, so I guess my questions is where are you going?

X-Era
03-02-2009, 08:03 PM

You used my favorite term...SIGNIFICANT

That term should be key to what we should be doing.

Fitz- insignificant signing... Note that I sisnt say bad signing, only that its a marginal upgrade to JP if an upgrade at all

Hangartner- insignificant upgrade... at this point. Until Preston had his late game meltdown, people around here thought he was just fine as our C. He screwed up in one game and fell out of favor around here. Can Hangartner be all that the Bills are trying to convince us that he is? Maybe, but show me.

And thats it at this point.

Add in losing a solid, but too expensive LG, and our starting, albeit marginal TE and we are actually a worse team than on last Thursday.

My problem is finding solutions for all these holes from the draft.

I was having atough time before FA, finding solutions at both OLB and DE that represent at least a marginal upgrade.

Now, with a need for a new LG, TE, OLB, and DE )and thats just the starting holes), I find no way for us to get marginal starters. I cant believe we cant get all of that from our draft, even in the best year, I cant see that being likely

SeatownBillsFan21
03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Well we tried i guess thats all this FO can do. players dont want to come to buffalo that's just the reality of it.

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
You used my favorite term...SIGNIFICANT

That term should be key to what we should be doing.

Fitz- insignificant signing... Note that I sisnt say bad signing, only that its a marginal upgrade to JP if an upgrade at all

Hangartner- insignificant upgrade... at this point. Until Preston had his late game meltdown, people around here thought he was just fine as our C. He screwed up in one game and fell out of favor around here. Can Hangartner be all that the Bills are trying to convince us that he is? Maybe, but show me.

And thats it at this point.

Add in losing a solid, but too expensive LG, and our starting, albeit marginal TE and we are actually a worse team than on last Thursday.

My problem is finding solutions for all these holes from the draft.

I was having atough time before FA, finding solutions at both OLB and DE that represent at least a marginal upgrade.

Now, with a need for a new LG, TE, OLB, and DE )and thats just the starting holes), I find no way for us to get marginal starters. I cant believe we cant get all of that from our draft, even in the best year, I cant see that being likely
I think Han was a better signing than you are giving him credit for, I think he's the starting OC for the next 4 years here at least.

X-Era
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I think Han was a better signing than you are giving him credit for, I think he's the starting OC for the next 4 years here at least.

I didnt say hes crap... or at least I didnt mean that. Let me rephrase. He is no more proven at this point than Preston was. Is he better? I think he probably is, but we dont know that yet.

Pinkerton Security
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
lol. um how about no scott? just keep attacking me because of your love for laveurneus coles. the guy who has 2 teams, the bills and bengals, pretty much the two most pathetic franchises on earth, interested in him.

so the bills and bengals agree with you.

the rest of the nfl agrees with me.

what exactly are you saying no to? the fact that hes 5'11 189 while parrish is 5'7 160? the fact that he plays bigger than his height? and what do they agree with you about? did i ever say coles is some sort of jerry rice clone? go troll somewhere else

psubills62
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM

And then after that Cincy knows they can have him for a cheap price. They'd sign him for a lowball amount and everyone would complain "we could have gotten him for that, why on earth would they be dumb and take away their offer?"

nateodoms'bff
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey, I'm a transfer from BB.com, and I think I'm okay.

I can at least substantiate my dislike for bringing Coles here with facts, like:

He is not good after the catch. 12.4 yards per catch is not a high YAC total.

70 catches for 854, with 7 TD's (6 of which were in the red zone, which is the only plus), not really a clutch guy, or the game changer that this team needs.

Sorry. That's the truth. If you look past his name, and at what he actually did against the league, not just the Bills, you'll see he isn't much of a talent.

justasportsfan
03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Could it be that teams don't want him because of his asking price. He's not as good as before but he's an upgrade over guys like Jenkins

raphael120
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Who has more cap room? Bills or Bengals? And it'd also be interesting to know who has more money tied up in WRs. Most likely the Bills. The Bengals only have Chad Johnson. Chris Henry is a bum and gone. They also pay a hell of a lot more for Carson Palmer.

Mahdi
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
There's no doubt that Coles is an upgrade but if he wants to go to the Bungles for an extra Mil a season then so be it. I dont want the Bills to overpay for an aging receiver. The Steelers won the Superbowl with Holmes, Ward and Washington. Im certain that out of Evans, Reed, Hardy, Johnson, Parrish and a less expensive FA receiver or draft pick we can come up with an equal or better WR corps than that.

Tatonka
03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
didnt a guy named JUICE get booted from here once?

and didnt that same JUICE LIKE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS?????

:snicker:

tat2dmike77
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm begining to think that this guy is here too just piss people off.

Oh look i know everything because i won a bunch of super bowls on madden.

B-DON
03-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Frig Coles.

Intelligent post. thanks for the contribution

psubills62
03-02-2009, 10:08 PM
These probably aren't original, and they're meant to instigate a discussion among those who, for the most part, want us to sign Coles.

I'm not entirely convinced that Coles doesn't want to come here. Right now, he's only taking the logical approach to getting his last contract.

First, put yourself in the Bills' position. At the time they made the contract offer (according to pat and his source, who I trust by now), there was NO interest from other teams. The Bills were his only option. So why would the Bills try to hand him a mega-deal? Even if Buffalo is very interested, they don't want to tip their hand and just offer Coles whatever he wants. If there's no interest, Coles has very little leverage and Buffalo could possibly get a good deal.

So obviously they didn't blow him away with their offer. That's fine, because we know how Bills fans complain about overpaying players.

Now put yourself in Coles' shoes. On Sunday, he had almost zero leverage. Miami specifically called to say they weren't interested. Everyone was after Housh. So he did the perfectly logical thing - he waited.

Obviously, if he wanted to gain leverage in his talks with the Bills (or any other team), he would have to get other teams interested. What does that mean? That means he needs to schedule visits. At this point, especially after Miami specifically said they didn't want him, his agent can't just put out reports saying teams are interested. They've already been embarrassed enough. So Coles has to wait for teams to be interested.

To me, just because he's waiting to visit other teams doesn't necessarily means he really doesn't want to play for the Bills. At this point, he's probably just looking for leverage in whatever contract discussions he has, whether it's with Cincy or Buffalo. If he can get a bidding war going over his services, he'll be in prime position to recoup the money he turned down from the Jets.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I think he'll sign with Buffalo. I'm actually expecting him not to (mostly so I'm not disappointed). But I don't think that the waiting automatically means he wants to reject Buffalo. I think part of it is that he's trying to drum up more market value for himself. He could prefer Buffalo to Cincy, who knows that he won't just get an offer from Cincy and bring it back to Buffalo?

I mean, seriously - what do the Bengals have that is that much better? Yes, I know they have Palmer, but what else do they have? So what if Palmer is throwing to him if the rest of the team sucks? The Bengals couldn't get anywhere with Housh at WR, you think they're going to the playoffs with Coles then? And it's not like Coles wants to get his stats pumped up for his next contract - this is his last. Honestly, despite what some people say, I believe that Buffalo is closer to being contenders than Cincy. One fluke season for the Bengals doesn't take away years of wallowing at the bottom of the league.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Those are my thoughts on the matter. I had to say something because it seemed everyone viewed Coles' hesitation to mean he hates Buffalo, which it doesn't seem that way to me necessarily. Could it be true? Sure. Is it the only possibility? Of course not.

psubills62
03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Frig Coles.

Yeah, who the heck needs productive WR's anyway??

I'm sure you'd be the first to turn down Wes Welker, Eddie Royal, Donnie Avery, Desean Jackson, etc., if the Bills ever seemed interested in any of those guys?

Who cares if they're a "midget" receiver if they can produce? Get rid of the midgets who can't produce (ahem, Parrish), and replace them with midgets who can.

TacklingDummy
03-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Please don't question my fandom for this team. You have no idea about me, or my belief in this team. You are talking out of your own ass here.

I didn't see where he questioned your fandom. There's no reason for this kind of response.

feldspar
03-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Lee Evans did the same thing when Losman was benched.

And guess what? The Juice ain't loose.

jimbohastle51
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
we're here for you bro! you make some good points, i dont think he is going to just go to cinci and sign anyways. he will want to give buffalo one more chance no matter what because he will want to see if buffalo raises there offer based on a cinci offer (if they do give him an offer) so it will inevitably be in buffalos hands and they'll turn it down over a 500k difference LOL!

DraftBoy
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I didn't see where he questioned your fandom. There's no reason for this kind of response.

I disagree;

Even if you are a poor fan of this team and hardly pay attention

Id say that's a rather bold statement about another persons fandom without having ever met them.

TacklingDummy
03-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey, I'm a transfer from BB.com, and I think I'm okay.

I can at least substantiate my dislike for bringing Coles here with facts, like:

He is not good after the catch. 12.4 yards per catch is not a high YAC total.

70 catches for 854, with 7 TD's (6 of which were in the red zone, which is the only plus), not really a clutch guy, or the game changer that this team needs.

Sorry. That's the truth. If you look past his name, and at what he actually did against the league, not just the Bills, you'll see he isn't much of a talent.

Another fact

Brett Favre >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Trent Edwards

TacklingDummy
03-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Id say that's a rather bold statement about another persons fandom without having ever met them.

I don't think he was calling you a poor fan.

justasportsfan
03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Another fact

Brett Favre >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Trent Edwards
and Mangini >>>>>> Jauron

feldspar
03-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Say what you want about Coles and even make stuff up, but he'd be a huge improvement at the #2 receiver position for the Bills. That's what Coles is, a #2 receiver.

He would improve our team.

justasportsfan
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Say what you want about Coles and even make stuff up, but he'd be a huge improvement at the #2 receiver position for the Bills. That's what Coles is, a #2 receiver.

He would improve our team.
Agreed. Good enough to overcome our stupid coaching staff? I don't think so. Ihope Coles can block against 3-4 defenses.

psubills62
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
we're here for you bro! you make some good points, i dont think he is going to just go to cinci and sign anyways. he will want to give buffalo one more chance no matter what because he will want to see if buffalo raises there offer based on a cinci offer (if they do give him an offer) so it will inevitably be in buffalos hands and they'll turn it down over a 500k difference LOL!

Thanks for the reply jimbo! I too often make my most thoughtful threads around midnight, haha, not the best time for people to view them :crap:

I really think he's hoping to get into a bidding war. My only hesitation is if Cincy offers him the same deal they offered TJ...in which case he might just sign right away.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting Buffalo to raise their offer. But if their interest is as much as the reports say it is, they might try depending on how much they have to raise it.

We'll see, I'd bet Coles is signed by late Wednesday, unless several other teams start showing interest.

Michael82
03-02-2009, 11:52 PM
The key is....Mike Brown is known for being as cheap as Ralph. I don't see the Bengals outbidding us for Coles. I predict that he will be a Buffalo Bill tomorrow night. :pray:

jimbohastle51
03-02-2009, 11:58 PM
honestly man, i think he will be a bill. there is no way he can want to go to cinci. palmer hasnt been heathy in over 2 years, and now with fitz gone they dont even have a backup QB! he is trying to use them as leverage against us. there is now way if those are his 2 choices he doesnt want to play on the team with a RB tandem that had over 1600 yards between the 2 of them, a LT that is a 2 time pro bowler and first team all pro, and play accross from lee evans who is one of the best receivers in the NFL and the second best in our whole division behind randy moss.

Dujek
03-03-2009, 03:42 AM
The key is....Mike Brown is known for being as cheap as Ralph. I don't see the Bengals outbidding us for Coles. I predict that he will be a Buffalo Bill tomorrow night. :pray:

Mikey, you know you've just guaranteed he'll sign with the Bengals, right?

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 05:47 AM

Except Ralph is not cheap - with players.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Except Ralph is not cheap - with players.
Disagree.

I love this little gem from Chris Brown:

If a new offer for Coles doesn’t surface in the next day or so the Bills should have the inside track.

So were only able to land free agents that no one else bids on?

But were not cheap?

Langston Walker and Dockery are the only examples that were not cheap. And one failed horribly. Unfortunately, blowing free agents away is the only way to get them here... hence why Coles is still out there (our offer wasnt anything special).

I dont consider resigning our own like Evans spending big money. He resigned with his current team, they almost always take less to stay with their own teams. Not impressive.

That said, I dont mind the way the Bills are playing this, only that they are likely to lose. And that we have no plans to do much else after that. Thats not being committed to getting better.

mybills
03-03-2009, 06:39 AM

From a temporary fix standpoint, we can't go wrong with any of them. Holt, Coles, Toomer or TJ would help out a ton for 1-2 years, so I don't have a problem with them being "dinosaurs"...although, I don't think a 33 year old is considered one. :idunno:

Dujek
03-03-2009, 06:45 AM
From a temporary fix standpoint, we can't go wrong with any of them. Holt, Coles, Toomer or TJ would help out a ton for 1-2 years, so I don't have a problem with them being "dinosaurs"...although, I don't think a 33 year old is considered one. :idunno:

OK, Holt may not be a dinosaur, but he'll cost picks, and we'll have to eat his salary, which is likely more than the Bills would like to pay.

don137
03-03-2009, 06:51 AM
While Ralph will never be in the top 10 in spending he has shown he is not afraid to dole out the cash. The problem is the money has not been spent wisely. Think how much money went to Dockery and Kelsey last year and what kind of production did they get out of them.
The Bills need to not only spend the cash but spend it wisely. They have not received a good return on their investments.

mybills
03-03-2009, 06:55 AM
spending some of it on a Veteran receiver is a good investment because it'll be one less thing to worry about for now. They'll still have enough left over for the real need signings.

mybills
03-03-2009, 06:57 AM
OK, Holt may not be a dinosaur, but he'll cost picks, and we'll have to eat his salary, which is likely more than the Bills would like to pay.
But they made Coles an offer. They wouldn't offer it if they thought it was more than they would like to pay.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Disagree.

If a new offer for Coles doesn’t surface in the next day or so the Bills should have the inside track.

But were not cheap?

Langston Walker and Dockery are the only examples that were not cheap. And one failed horribly. Unfortunately, blowing free agents away is the only way to get them here... hence why Coles is still out there (our offer wasnt anything special).

I dont consider resigning our own like Evans spending big money. He resigned with his current team, they almost always take less to stay with their own teams. Not impressive.

That said, I dont mind the way the Bills are playing this, only that they are likely to lose. And that we have no plans to do much else after that. Thats not being committed to getting better.

Nowhere in what CB says does it indicate that its about the dollar amount. You guys are so fixated on the perception of being cheap that its all you can think about. As bad as the Bungels are they have a few things we don't right now, mainly a bonafide franchise QB to throw him the ball.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Nowhere in what CB says does it indicate that its about the dollar amount. You guys are so fixated on the perception of being cheap that its all you can think about. As bad as the Bungels are they have a few things we don't right now, mainly a bonafide franchise QB to throw him the ball.

No, thats very much what he said

"if A NEW OFFER FOR COLES DOESNT SURFACE"

So if no new offer surfaces, we have the inside track. Thats what he said, and thats what I read.

The way we have an inside track is if no one else bids. Thats what he said. The term NO ONE is also troubling. He didnt say if the Bengals dont make an offer, he said NO ONE.

Im taking it literally, he probably should rephrase it, but thats what it says.

What IM saying, is if we made an offer that Coles cant refuse, he never would have left Buffalo. Then, Im taking it the next step and saying that making big offers is about the only way we get playersa to pick us over other teams... which is something we arent likely to do. Hence, why we continue to not be major players in FA.

Look, we arent winning in this phase of the game and we havent been for a long time.

The Coles situation just makes the point. Even if he signs, and he very much could, we still allowed a FA we covet to sit out there shopping himself.

If he signs we win, if he doesnt, we failed on this FA. If we go and get Holt, Im happy, if we do nothing, we continue to fail.

DraftBoy
03-03-2009, 07:13 AM
No, thats very much what he said

"if A NEW OFFER FOR COLES DOESNT SURFACE"

So if no new offer surfaces, we have the inside track. Thats what he said, and thats what I read.

The way we have an inside track is if no one else bids. Thats what he said.

Im taking it literally, he probably should rephrase it, but thats what it says.

What IM saying, is if we made an offer that Coles cant refuse, he never would have left Buffalo. Then, Im taking it the next step and saying that making big offers is about the only way we get playersa to pick us over other teams... which is something we arent likely to do. Hence, why we continue to not be major players in FA.

Look, we arent winning in this phase of the game and we havent been for a long time.

The Coles situation just makes the point. Even if he signs, and he very much could, we still allowed a FA we covet to sit out there shopping himself.

If he signs we win, if he doesnt, we failed on this FA. If we go and get Holt, Im happy, if we do nothing, we continue to fail.

You can't just go around making every player an offer they can't reufse. If thats what you want, then you want what the Redskins have. Cap hell every three years and still nothing of substance. In no way did CB say that it was about cash though, thats your interpretation of it because you have this perception (no matter how many times its been disproven) that the Bills are somehow cheap towards players. I dont get it, or where it comes from.

Just because you covet a guy doesnt mean you stop at nothing to sign him, you must have self imposed limits for the sake of your own franchise. I highly coveted Haynesworth but no way in hell would I pay over 100 million dollars to play for my team. I have no issue with the Bills not giving Coles everything he wanted as long as the offer was of fair market value. Now we can both debate that till we are blue in the face but right now neither of us know for a fact what the numbers were.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Disagree.

But were not cheap?

There are numerous other examples:

Milloy
Adams
Fletcher
Spikes
Schobel
Kelsay
Royal

And you can't say that Evans does not count - you can't have it both ways.

Ralph spends on players. Not the right players, mind you - but he does spend on them.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
The key is....Mike Brown is known for being as cheap as Ralph. I don't see the Bengals outbidding us for Coles. I predict that he will be a Buffalo Bill tomorrow night.

That is an excellent point.

soapman
03-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Yeah I know it's getting old but everybody is hating on the man. I think he would be a good fit here I honestly do. HOWEVER, just because he's in Cincy doesn't mean that he just doesn't want to play for the Bills. He does have a family and why not try to get the most money for what is likely to be his final contract? If I were him I'd do the same thing. He kinda has both teams over the barrel being arguably the best WR prospect available in FA. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up right back here. Cincy may be one of the few teams worse of then us. More incomplete and they're FO is notoriously just as cheap. IMO

X-Era
03-03-2009, 07:46 AM
There are numerous other examples:

Milloy
Adams
Fletcher
Spikes
Schobel
Kelsay
Royal

And you can't say that Evans does not count - you can't have it both ways.

Ralph spends on players. Not the right players, mind you - but he does spend on them.

And theres the flip side signings

Anderson
Reyes
Fowler
James
Webster
Scott
Peerless (part 2)
Bryan
Whittle

None are big names or were high priced at the time.

I think a more accurate statement is that he spends money on SOME players, and I agree not the right ones. The list above all cost money and did very little for us... This year we are again running the same style offseason.

My plan is simple:

If you want to spend less, trade more so that you can still get very good players (Stroud, who we didnt resign by the way to a new "proper" deal), because we wont spend what it takes if they hit the market.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 07:50 AM
You can't just go around making every player an offer they can't reufse. If thats what you want, then you want what the Redskins have. Cap hell every three years and still nothing of substance. In no way did CB say that it was about cash though, thats your interpretation of it because you have this perception (no matter how many times its been disproven) that the Bills are somehow cheap towards players. I dont get it, or where it comes from.

Just because you covet a guy doesnt mean you stop at nothing to sign him, you must have self imposed limits for the sake of your own franchise. I highly coveted Haynesworth but no way in hell would I pay over 100 million dollars to play for my team. I have no issue with the Bills not giving Coles everything he wanted as long as the offer was of fair market value. Now we can both debate that till we are blue in the face but right now neither of us know for a fact what the numbers were.

I dont want the Skins, I want the Patriots... Thomas, Harrison, a trade for Moss... quality vets who, like Coles, can easily come in and start at a decent level for a few years. They didnt pay Randy until he proved he was worth top dollar. And no, I wouldnt pay Jason Brown that much either... but Birk is still out there... Holt can be had... Those are Pat moves to me

psubills62
03-03-2009, 08:09 AM
honestly man, i think he will be a bill. there is no way he can want to go to cinci. palmer hasnt been heathy in over 2 years, and now with fitz gone they dont even have a backup QB! he is trying to use them as leverage against us. there is now way if those are his 2 choices he doesnt want to play on the team with a RB tandem that had over 1600 yards between the 2 of them, a LT that is a 2 time pro bowler and first team all pro, and play accross from lee evans who is one of the best receivers in the NFL and the second best in our whole division behind randy moss.

Yeah, I'm not as confident as you, but I like the enthusiasm! Haha, I sure hope he sees it that way. And it's not like Cincy is much warmer and sunnier than Buffalo.

kelly2reed4six
03-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Honestly, I don't think it matters if we bring him in either way! I see it as a lose-lose situation! If we bring him in, Dick doesn't even try to develop the possible young talent that we could have at wide out in hardy and johnson, if we don't bring him in, Dick still won't try to develop our possible young talent at wide out and we will have the exact same worthless offense that we had last year.

kelly2reed4six
03-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Not to mention that coles will likely only cause more problems with his notorious whiny attitude.

Yasgur's Farm
03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
These probably aren't original, and they're meant to instigate a discussion among those who, for the most part, want us to sign Coles.

I'm not entirely convinced that Coles doesn't want to come here. Right now, he's only taking the logical approach to getting his last contract.

First, put yourself in the Bills' position. At the time they made the contract offer (according to pat and his source, who I trust by now), there was NO interest from other teams. The Bills were his only option. So why would the Bills try to hand him a mega-deal? Even if Buffalo is very interested, they don't want to tip their hand and just offer Coles whatever he wants. If there's no interest, Coles has very little leverage and Buffalo could possibly get a good deal.

So obviously they didn't blow him away with their offer. That's fine, because we know how Bills fans complain about overpaying players.

Now put yourself in Coles' shoes. On Sunday, he had almost zero leverage. Miami specifically called to say they weren't interested. Everyone was after Housh. So he did the perfectly logical thing - he waited.

Obviously, if he wanted to gain leverage in his talks with the Bills (or any other team), he would have to get other teams interested. What does that mean? That means he needs to schedule visits. At this point, especially after Miami specifically said they didn't want him, his agent can't just put out reports saying teams are interested. They've already been embarrassed enough. So Coles has to wait for teams to be interested.

To me, just because he's waiting to visit other teams doesn't necessarily means he really doesn't want to play for the Bills. At this point, he's probably just looking for leverage in whatever contract discussions he has, whether it's with Cincy or Buffalo. If he can get a bidding war going over his services, he'll be in prime position to recoup the money he turned down from the Jets.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I think he'll sign with Buffalo. I'm actually expecting him not to (mostly so I'm not disappointed). But I don't think that the waiting automatically means he wants to reject Buffalo. I think part of it is that he's trying to drum up more market value for himself. He could prefer Buffalo to Cincy, who knows that he won't just get an offer from Cincy and bring it back to Buffalo?

I mean, seriously - what do the Bengals have that is that much better? Yes, I know they have Palmer, but what else do they have? So what if Palmer is throwing to him if the rest of the team sucks? The Bengals couldn't get anywhere with Housh at WR, you think they're going to the playoffs with Coles then? And it's not like Coles wants to get his stats pumped up for his next contract - this is his last. Honestly, despite what some people say, I believe that Buffalo is closer to being contenders than Cincy. One fluke season for the Bengals doesn't take away years of wallowing at the bottom of the league.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Those are my thoughts on the matter. I had to say something because it seemed everyone viewed Coles' hesitation to mean he hates Buffalo, which it doesn't seem that way to me necessarily. Could it be true? Sure. Is it the only possibility? Of course not.Very logical and well thought out... Thanks.

don137
03-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I do not think the Bengals will offer more money but may offer more guaranteed money.

acehole
03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Not to mention that coles will likely only cause more problems with his notorious whiny attitude.

This is my big concern.

I think teams still have to account for his skill set...but what happens when he doesnt run a route longer then 5 yards...or Trent skips one on the ground or something like that....it is for this reason he is a bengal.

If you were a reciever in the NFL would you want passes thrown by carlson palmer or T Edwards?

Coles will be a bengal by days end people...move along.

psubills62
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
This is my big concern.

I think teams still have to account for his skill set...but what happens when he doesnt run a route longer then 5 yards...or Trent skips one on the ground or something like that....it is for this reason he is a bengal.

If you were a reciever in the NFL would you want passes thrown by carlson palmer or T Edwards?

Coles will be a bengal by days end people...move along.

I addressed that in my original post. Palmer has missed time a lot in past years, and never had surgery on his arm so who knows if he'll be the one throwing to Coles? Edwards may not be as durable as we like, but at least he played most of last season.

acehole
03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I addressed that in my original post. Palmer has missed time a lot in past years, and never had surgery on his arm so who knows if he'll be the one throwing to Coles? Edwards may not be as durable as we like, but at least he played most of last season.

All things being equal...then you go for the cash and we will be outbid.

Dujek
03-03-2009, 11:03 AM
But they made Coles an offer. They wouldn't offer it if they thought it was more than they would like to pay.

I'd be fairly certain that Holt's current contract is for more money than the Bills will have offered Coles. Holt signed that contract as the Rams' #1 receiver, I'd say it could easily be for $8 million per year.

That combined with losing a pick probably means Holt isn't really an option either.

Michael82
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Here's the Torry Holt info....

<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=s_playerNewsTitle style="BACKGROUND: #001945"><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Contract Information for Torry Holt</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px" align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD style="BACKGROUND: #001945" width=14>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif</TD><TD width=6>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>7/18/2003: Signed a seven-year, $42 million contract. The deal included an $11.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $6.65 million (+ $1.25 million roster bonus), 2010: Free Agent. Cap charge: $10.205 million (2009). </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=412

We'd basically have him for one season for over $7 million. Sorry, not interested, unless he's willing to agree to a 2 year extension.

psubills62
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
All things being equal...then you go for the cash and we will be outbid.

You never know. Right now it seems the rest of their FA plan hinges on Coles. However, Cincy is still bidding for Benson, and they've got some backup QB visits.

Even so, I'd tend to agree with you - I don't expect the Bills to outbid anyone at this point.

X-Era
03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
With everyone now rumored to be visiting, I wonder if the Coles deal is dead?

I kinda hope not.

psubills62
03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
With everyone now rumored to be visiting, I wonder if the Coles deal is dead?

I kinda hope not.

Either it's dead or they signed him. None of the guys visiting are going to cost much money, imo.

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Here's the Torry Holt info....

<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=s_playerNewsTitle style="BACKGROUND: #001945"><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Contract Information for Torry Holt</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px" align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD style="BACKGROUND: #001945" width=14>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif</TD><TD width=6>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>7/18/2003: Signed a seven-year, $42 million contract. The deal included an $11.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $6.65 million (+ $1.25 million roster bonus), 2010: Free Agent. Cap charge: $10.205 million (2009). </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=412

We'd basically have him for one season for over $7 million. Sorry, not interested, unless he's willing to agree to a 2 year extension.

There's alot of speculation that he will be cut.

jimbohastle51
03-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Either it's dead or they signed him. None of the guys visiting are going to cost much money, imo.

you figure if florence full first year salary counted against the cap it would only be 3.3 million (that is less than roscoe makes), then if june signs like a 3 year 10 million deal with 3 guaranteed lets say, then that would still be just over 6million and if coles signed and got his 6 million in the first year, we would only be using 12.3 million and that is saying june, and florence FULL salary counts against the cap. there is a good chance that they knew they wanted june and peterson both and just wanted to wait and see if there wasnt any takers. aparently there wasnt cause we are both of there first visits. i am pretty sure we will sign june tomorrow because 1) they flew him in tonight probably to start negotiations, so he can have his physical tommorow. 2) he really is perfect for our defense then mitchell can move over to strong side were he is best suited. 3) he is still only 29 and has pretty good credentials, they only reason the bucs got rid of him is because there defense is changing now that kiffin is gone or he would still be there, so if we are his first visit contract numbers have already been discussed. also kevin jones can probably be had pretty reasonable too since the bucs and bengals have both signed RB's. and peterson is a 11 year MLB, he knows he isnt getting a ton of money. he hasnt been healthy in over 2 years for a full season and he is like 33, but he would bring great vet depth and could rotate in especially on pass rushing or blitzing downs, he is a great blitzer from the MLB position, his second and third year in jax he had 5 or more sacks. best thing is with our cash to cap situation there is no reason honestly we cant add florence, june, peterson and coles. kevin jones is a luxury for us. yes we need a RB for depth but we dont need a 2 or 3 million a year RB, lynch wont be gone for more than 2 games since the charges were dropped to misdemeanors.

Patrick76777
03-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Oh No! The dreaded Merged Thread. One of these mods has bad OCD!

It makes it so tough to find the information I was looking for yesterday.

Thanks guys.

ct bills fan
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7541

Slim
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Pure speculation. I bet they make a run at Ray Lewis.

Mitchell55
03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
What does imminent mean?

The Spaz
03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Awww ****.

OpIv37
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Consider the source- this Hobson guy is probably Cincy's equivalent of Chris Brown. It doesn't mean anything- yet.

Slim
03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
The "imminent" signing could be JP.

tatersalad
GOOD

cocamide
What does imminent mean?

about to happen, approaching, brewing, close, coming, expectant, fast-approaching, following, forthcoming, gathering, handwriting-on-the-wall, immediate, impending, in store, in the air, in the cards, in the offing, in the wind, in view, ineluctable, inescapable, inevasible, inevitable, likely, looming, menacing, near, nearing, next, nigh, on its way, on the horizon, on the verge, overhanging, possible, probable, see it coming, threatening, to come, unavoidable, unescapable

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/imminent

Have you heard of Google?

Slim
Or i could be totally wrong.

Slim
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
"All indications" are that the Bengals are nearing a deal with free agent Laveranues Coles Wednesday, according to the team's website.

The move would deal a big blow to Andre Caldwell's fantasy upside. Coles is thought to be seeking nearly as much as T.J. Houshmandzadeh's contract. It's still hard to imagine the Bengals paying Coles more than Chad Ocho Cinco.

per-Rotoworld

User Manuel
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I am ok with not getting him. I am just not a fan.

wbat27
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
All I know is that he better figure out either way so we can get to plan b or the next step of the plan

streetkings01
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm so done with Coles!

casdhf
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
That is way too much money.

kelly2reed4six
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I hope this is true! Let's think, one of the great football minds ever (bill parcells) had NO interest in coles! Now, I could understand that if they already had great wide receiver talent, but they DON'T! He just realizes that Coles is not even close the worth that he wants! That ALONE should be a sign that we should just walk away! Besides, who wants everyone elses cast away?? We are nothing but a last resort to him!! We don't want that! CINCI, PLEEEEASE SIGN COLES!

Night Train
03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
What does imminent mean?
Choking. They're even better at it than us.

zone
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Isn't the press conference over at this point? Did they sign Coles or not?

Tatonka
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
sweet. i really dont care.

with the 11th pick in the 1st round, the Buffalo Bills select, WR, Texas Tech, Michael Crabtree.

The Spaz
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
sweet. i really dont care.

with the 11th pick in the 1st round, the Buffalo Bills select, WR, Texas Tech, Michael Crabtree.

Lol. I really hope he's available but I don't see it.

Tatonka
03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
i think that you are going to be shocked then. there are DEFINATELY going to be some teams that are concerned about the foot and not being able to see him work out at all. seattle is not drafting him now that they signed housh..

The Juice Is Loose
03-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I'd be willing to bet any one of you that this year in Cinci is a disaster. Its going to be the last year of Marvin Lewis. I understand why he went there.

Carson Palmer, More Money
Trent Edwards, Less Money.

Honestly, I'm willing to stake everything I know about football on Cinci being a disaster, Coles being a bust and being a cap casualty by Cinci's new coach next year.

I'm so glad we didn't sign him. $7 million a year?!?! Basically a million a touchdown. LOL.

I'm not saying that there are better Free Agent options out there. I say we grab a wideout in the 3rd round. Would've been a waste.

justasportsfan
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
we grabbed a wr in the 2nd and nothing happened. I don't care about whats gonna happen to Cincy. all I care is that we get better. While Coles is nothing to write home about, doing nothing is not making us better.

Mr. Pink
03-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm so glad we didn't sign him. $7 million a year?!?! Basically a million a touchdown. LOL.

So Evans is what? 3.3 million per TD then right!

Brilliant!

The Juice Is Loose
03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
well you know they aren't going to break the bank for a 30 year old or older.

coles doesn't fit the bill. the free agency crop at wideout blew.

you gotta figure they're going to add a wideout, but on their terms, and i agree with that.

i'm not necessarily endorsing all of their moves, as i'm pretty unimpressed with their logic usually, but i didn't want coles.

i just don't see an impact much more than someone like our own steve johnson or even fa's like brandon lloyd or ashley lelie couldn't provide.

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Wow, putting a bet on Cincy being bad. Youre crazy man, way to go out on a limb

Mr. Pink
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Steve Johnson's career vs Coles is comparable? OK!

And Lloyd has been a monumental failure everywhere he's been as basically a journeyman now.

Not too mention does Ashley Lelie even matter in the league?

The Juice Is Loose
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
So Evans is what? 3.3 million per TD then right!

Brilliant!

i wasn't comparing lee to coles but whatever.

lee is young and fast. coles is old and slow.

two totally different players at totally different points in their career.

i don't think too many people doubt lee's potential, and long term possibilities.

coles wouldn't be worth that money, and he's not capable of big plays like lee is.

i'm not saying we don't need any help at wideout, i'm just saying that all of you were so desperate to hear something you talked yourselves into it too much.

coles just isn't that good and frankly, never was. (as evidenced by the fact that 30 out of 32 NFL teams didn't want him. you telling me chicago and miami have better receivers than us? I don't think so. Jacksonville? ha. There was no market because he doesn't have what it takes anymore.)

DraftBoy
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Merged, we have too many Coles threads to begin with no need to start more.

The Juice Is Loose
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Steve Johnson's career vs Coles is comparable? OK!

And Lloyd has been a monumental failure everywhere he's been as basically a journeyman now.

Not too mention does Ashley Lelie even matter in the league?

whats your deal? when did i compare coles' and johnson's careers?

would i compare the career of someone old to the career of a guy coming off his rookie year?! dude your totally irrelevant in both of your replies so far.

i watch football. so i can see physical ability in players. i was saying that i think that johnson could contribute just as much as coles could.

when guys get 30 they start getting hurt. esp wr's and rb's. its a fact. why invest 7 mil a year in a guy at least 4 years past his prime??

DraftBoy
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Merged....we have a general Coles thread and with the official news breaking. Im merging all other Coles threads together.

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
juice youre talking out of your ....

Mr. Pink
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
i wasn't comparing lee to coles but whatever.

lee is young and fast. coles is old and slow.

two totally different players at totally different points in their career.

i don't think too many people doubt lee's potential, and long term possibilities.

coles wouldn't be worth that money, and he's not capable of big plays like lee is.

i'm not saying we don't need any help at wideout, i'm just saying that all of you were so desperate to hear something you talked yourselves into it too much.

coles just isn't that good and frankly, never was. (as evidenced by the fact that 30 out of 32 NFL teams didn't want him. you telling me chicago and miami have better receivers than us? I don't think so. Jacksonville? ha. There was no market because he doesn't have what it takes anymore.)

Coles is slow? Since when?

Look at Coles track record, he produces year in and year out. On top of the fact he plays through injury which he did for a large part of last season.

Seeing you're comparing Evans and Coles...

Big plays? Ha. Evans had a big play last year? When? I missed it.

Coles might be a step slower than Evans, but it's not by much. Where he surpasses Evans easily is hands, route running, physicalness, leadership and all around ability.

Besides, he would have been brought here to compliment Evans not supplant him. We still have NO compliment to Evans.

Mr. Pink
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
whats your deal? when did i compare coles' and johnson's careers?

would i compare the career of someone old to the career of a guy coming off his rookie year?! dude your totally irrelevant in both of your replies so far.

i watch football. so i can see physical ability in players. i was saying that i think that johnson could contribute just as much as coles could.

when guys get 30 they start getting hurt. esp wr's and rb's. its a fact. why invest 7 mil a year in a guy at least 4 years past his prime??

You're comparing Coles to Johnson by saying they both would contribute the same amount. Johnson couldn't carry Coles jockstrap. At this point in their careers Evans can't even carry Coles jockstrap.

BTW Lee will be 30 in 2 seasons...will it be time to dump him then?