PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Football: T.O. vs. Lee Evans

MidnightVoice
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/scientific-football-boldin-vs-fitzgerald-and-to-vs-lee-evans/

As compelling as the off-field portion of that story is, my primary interest in any player revolves around their on-field performance. To me, the key here isn’t whether Owens will get along with Trent Edwards or turn the locker room into a circus but rather whether the Bill’s passing offense will be able to effectively integrate Owens and Lee Evans’s skill sets.

Like any self-respecting wideouts, Owens and Evans both like to be thrown vertical passes (which are balls thrown 11 or more yards downfield). Owens saw 65 of those throws in 2008, a total that tied him for 13th highest among wide receivers, while Evans saw 48. Evans did much better on his passes, however, gaining 691 yards versus Owens’s 708 (or to put it another way, 14.4 vertical YPA for Evans versus 10.9 YPA for Owens). That isn’t an anomaly for Evans; he has been one of the best long ball pass catchers in the N.F.L. for a few years now, but it does lead to Buffalo’s quandary, which is that there are only so many vertical throws to go around.

Let me crunch some numbers to illustrate how this could become a problem. Buffalo QBs threw 118 vertical passes in 2008, which was the second-lowest total in the league. That number will increase in 2009, but Dick Jauron does not strike me as the sort of coach to chuck it deep more often than he needs to, so for the sake of this argument, let’s say the Bills will hit the median league mark of 150 vertical passes. If 20% of these end up going to players other than Evans or Owens, that leaves 120 vertical passes going their way.

Since Evans was so much better than Owens last year, one would think a good split of these throws might be 70/50 or 80/40 in Evans’s favor, but I’m betting Owens isn’t thinking that way. He will probably want the ratio to be more like 70/50 or 80/40 in his favor. His YPA has been dropping for a few years now, and that indicates his best role would be as the short and medium pass catcher whose production at those levels helps keep the defense honest and opens up the long ball for Evans. Owens probably won’t be of that mind-set and that’s where the trouble might kick in. How Jauron, Edwards, Evans and Owens handle this will be much more the key to their ultimate success or failure than will whether or not they all play Madden 2010 together.

Pinkerton Security
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
very interesting. I think Lee would be fine with a 65-55 ratio of deep passes, TO-Lee.

ddaryl
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
as long as we're winning... that is all that matters to me

Big Bad Boone
03-17-2009, 03:53 PM
The problem with their logic is that all 10+ yard passes are treated equally. My take on this is that Reed will excel inside 10 yards, Owens will excel in the intermediate 10-20 yard range, and Evans will excel past that. The article doesn't differentiate between dig routes and fly routes, the intermediate range and bombs, but instead just lumps them together, which is why they aren't really capturing the difference between Evans and T.O. That difference is the reason why I think they'll compliment each other nicely.

DMBcrew36
03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I think you go to preseason and what not and try getting the ball to both TO and Lee. Same with during the season. You throw to who is hot - who is catching and who is making plays.

Lexwhat
03-17-2009, 04:23 PM
65-55 ratio of deep passes, TO-Lee.

???

BillsOwnAll
03-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Who counts how many passes go farther then 11 yards. Seriously.

Mercy
03-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Who counts how many passes go farther then 11 yards. Seriously.That just means more than 10, BillsOwnAll

Mercy
03-18-2009, 08:14 AM
As compelling as the off-field portion of that story is, my primary interest in any player revolves around their on-field performance. To me, the key here isn’t whether Owens will get along with Trent Edwards or turn the locker room into a circus but rather whether the Bill’s passing offense will be able to effectively integrate Owens and Lee Evans’s skill sets.I honestly don't get the "cancer" crap. You're all a bunch of women.

Ickybaluky
03-18-2009, 08:15 AM
That just means more than 10, BillsOwnAll

I just had a flashback to watching Spinal Tap.

"Yeah, but this one goes to 11. It's one more."

MPN
03-18-2009, 08:42 AM
I more concerned with whether the Bills offense will know how to use the fact that they have a legit 2nd reciever and a non-doubled Evans more often. Owens will get his balls here because other teams are still going to mark Evans more. At this point, if they can just get the ball downfield period, both Evand and TO should get theirs.

justasportsfan
03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
If teams decide to double TO Trent better not be gun shy going to Evans deep.

venis2k1
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Check down to freddy.

ParanoidAndroid
03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
If this is scientific, then the TD variable must be held constant.

A seperate study might lead one to find that TO will get targeted more in the red zone than Evans will, which will result in more TD's for TO. I think that would go a long way towards keeping him happy. That's my hypothesis.

Keep in mind that none of this is testable until the games are actually played. So as far as his article being scientific.....it's just a word. It means nothing. It's not even close to science.

BillsOwnAll
03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Heres a Scientific fact. T.O. Helped bring every team he played on to the playoffs.

feldspar
03-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Here's another scientifc tidbit: throw it to the guy that is open.

Trent will go through his progressions on the play he was told to call. If the first guy isn't open, check the second. If he isn't open go to the third or the checkdown.

Pretty basic stuff. Once we even start thinking in terms of the crap in this article is when we get into trouble. Never try to force the ball to somebody to improve their stats...this may make certain players happier to feel they are contributing more, but it's not the way to win ballgames...and when we win ballgames, everyone is happy or should be.

Obviously, every QB has their go-to guys who they feel comfortable with and have more confidence in, but this trust is earned and comes naturally. It'll take some work for Trent and TO to get on the same page and get their timing down...something else to consider. I hope they work together a lot in the offseason.

Mitchell55
03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
If anyone is saying hes cancer, I think these are the reasons why he wont be for buffalo.1. Its his last chance to make himself a 1st ballot HOFer2. Hes now with a small market team and for once in his career, he is the player on offense. What I mean by player is hes the one that when people click on the TV to watch dallas, he is the player you would see. With SF it was Rice, Garcia. With Philly it was Dawkins and McNabb, and with Dallas it was Witten, Romo, Barber, Ware. He doesnt have to worry about players getting in his face.3. 1 yr contract, dont screw up4. Not as much media