PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio - Bills "make most sense" In a Cutler Trade

BigGabes23
04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
OK..... This will never happen, but Colin Cowherd is talking about potential teams that Denver would be willing to trade with, and they keep coming back to the Bills. They have a young talented QB and players and picks they could give up. It does make the most sense, as most teams mentioned (like the Jets and Bucs) have no QBs to send back to Denver. I live in Cleveland and I can tell you there is no way a deal including Brady Quinn will happen. What do you think of:

Trent Edwards and Poz

for

Jay Cutler and a 3rd rond pick?

I take Maualuga with the 11th pick. He will shoot up the board again after his pro day.

What do you think?

Dujek
04-01-2009, 09:55 AM
No way.

That's the thing, the Bills are a good fit for a trade from Denver's point of view, because they get a young smart QB who will flourish under McDaniels, but it's a ****ty deal for the Bills, who would be getting an emotional big girl of a QB with very little commone sense and would end up with a gutted LB corps.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 09:55 AM
If McDaniels thinks Trent is the best qb(rookies included) out there that could be had via a trade, then Trents value is more than what we think he is desptie where we drafted him.

Trents got so much potential even more than Cassel with the right coach and I think McDaniels is the one who has the ability to bring out the best in Trent.

homeslice5484
04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
id take cutler over edwards any day...how is edwards gonna get the ball deep to TO? Remember Cleveland?

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Can Culter play in the snow? I'm still not sold on Edwards in the cold.

clumping platelets
04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Edwards and our 2nd for Cutler and Scheffler :nod:

homeslice5484
04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
weather is another factor....edwards has far too many question marks to not make the trade if it is possible. That MNF game against Cleveland still bothers me.

OpIv37
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
O LINE PEOPLE! O LINE!

Having Cutler and TO (or Trent and TO, for that matter) is irrelevant if we can't protect the QB long enough to deliver the ball.

Trading for Cutler and signing TO while ignoring the trenches is very Donahoe-esque. In fact, I seem to remember TD trading a first round draft pick for an immobile QB without ever giving him an OL.

homeslice5484
04-01-2009, 10:18 AM
i agree about the oline....but i still question edwards ability to get the ball to TO, especially deep. Last years Cleveland game, Edwards refused to throw deep even though it was open the entire second half. Receivers were jumping down the field waving their arms for the ball and he wouldn't throw it. Plus him playing in the cold and snow is still a big question. This is a must win year for Jauron, him, and this team....if you can get Cutler you do it. This is about winning, not hurting a players feelings. Trent should have been pulled against Cleveland when he refused to throw the ball deep when it was wide open.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:19 AM
O LINE PEOPLE! O LINE!

Having Cutler and TO (or Trent and TO, for that matter) is irrelevant if we can't protect the QB long enough to deliver the ball.

Trading for Cutler and signing TO while ignoring the trenches is very Donahoe-esque. In fact, I seem to remember TD trading a first round draft pick for an immobile QB without ever giving him an OL.
Meh. Seems to me some posters here think reshuffling our OL around can solve that problem even though they are unproven with an unproven coaching staff .

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
O LINE PEOPLE! O LINE!

Our OL will be fine.

Im indifferent on keeping or trading Edwards. If they trade him its because they dont feel he has the tools to succeed in Buffalo.

If they keep him they feel he can improve on those things and im fine with that too.

Either way we should be fine at QB. Cutler has already proven that he has an elite arm and I like Edwards demeanor.

OpIv37
04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Our OL will be fine.

Im indifferent on keeping or trading Edwards. If they trade him its because they dont feel he has the tools to succeed in Buffalo.

If they keep him they feel he can improve on those things and im fine with that too.

Either way we should be fine at QB. Cutler has already proven that he has an elite arm and I like Edwards demeanor.

In what universe will our OL be fine? Butler is mediocre, Hangartner has never been a named starter, our LG is- well, we don't have a LG, and our only depth is Chambers.

I agree on Edwards- I'm indifferent as well. I'm not entirely ready to give up on him, but I do see Cutler as an upgrade.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Meh. Seems to me some posters here think reshuffling our OL around can solve that problem even though they are unproven with an unproven coaching staff .

The problem is that seems to be the line that the Bills FO are feeding everyone too. Our o-line is a mess, and if the FO thinks they have our 5 starters for next year already on the roster then whoever's under center is in for a rough year.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
In what universe will our OL be fine? Butler is mediocre, Hangartner has never been a named starter, our LG is- well, we don't have a LG, and our only depth is Chambers.

I agree on Edwards- I'm indifferent as well. I'm not entirely ready to give up on him, but I do see Cutler as an upgrade.
I watched Hangartner play a bit last year on NFL rewind. He looked solid, real solid. Especially the game where the Panthers ripped the Giants for 200 yards on the ground.

Butler is better than most think. We were actually more successful running to the right than to the left last year.

For me, a line of

Peters- Antoine Caldwell/Luigs/Wood- Hangartner - Butler - Walker

is better than what we had last year.

bflobarry
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
It's funny how the Trent haters always zero in on the Cleveland game. Yes, he played very poorly, starting w/ his first pass, which was tipped, then intercepted. He then wilted under the VERY bright lights of a national TV audience and a stadium of screaming fans. The guy is 22 yrs old, and had the worst day of his career that day. OK, we got it. Now, how about the Jax game (4th qtr comeback), Raiders, ditto, or Denver, ditto? He's got a winning record as a starter on a mediocre team. How about we support our QB, instead of crucifying him after 23 starts? And, BTW, how would any of US like to have our worst day ever at our job televised on MNF? Let he who lives in a glass house....I think the kid's a winner.

DraftBoy
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
O LINE PEOPLE! O LINE!

Cutler isnt immobile though. I think adding Han will help alot as would extending Peters to get him happy. Add in a LG even a rookie and our OL is solid.

ddaryl
04-01-2009, 10:35 AM

actually no.. we killed our OL by dumping 3 players and replacing it with one. We have NO CHOICE but to reshuffle at this point because that is what we have ot deal with.

I've been pissed off at the fact that we watched some rock solid FA OL talent fly off the boards and the Bills never even tried for any of that talent.

I also think the Bills need to draft the best T on the board at #11 to do 1 of 2 things

1.) To gives us options if Peters continue to be the douche bag that he is and hold out until his ego is fully stroked or forces us to trade him

2.) Becvause the 2 OT that could and should be there for the Bills both have the ability to play LG and if we do work it out with Peters we have some solid depth at T and a much better competition for the remaining G spots.

SO I agree that our main concern is not trading for Cutler it is to invest heavily into the OL that allows us to have depth, a running game we can depend on, and pass protection long enough to be able to fire the ball down field.

Dr. Lecter
04-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Cutler + TO = Major explosion waiting to happen.

Having two of the most emotionally unstable players in the NFL on the same team with Juaron as head coach? Ugh.

'course it will not make the team worse, but still......

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:36 AM
It's funny how the Trent haters always zero in on the Cleveland game. Yes, he played very poorly, starting w/ his first pass, which was tipped, then intercepted. He then wilted under the VERY bright lights of a national TV audience and a stadium of screaming fans. The guy is 22 yrs old, and had the worst day of his career that day. OK, we got it. Now, how about the Jax game (4th qtr comeback), Raiders, ditto, or Denver, ditto? He's got a winning record as a starter on a mediocre team. How about we support our QB, instead of crucifying him after 23 starts? And, BTW, how would any of US like to have our worst day ever at our job televised on MNF? Let he who lives in a glass house....I think the kid's a winner.
crappy teams. Doesn't prove a thing. It wasn't about his mistakes vs. the browns but how he lost confidence which made him turn into Rob Johnson.

DraftBoy
04-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Having two of the most emotionally unstable players in the NFL on the same team with Juaron as head coach? Ugh.

IMO, this team could use the energy and if TO is only here one year, his record indicates he won't blow up till year 2. Cutler having TO and Evans to throw to would be huge for his development.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
actually no.. we killed our OL by dumping 3 players and replacing it with one. We have NO CHOICE but to reshuffle at this point because that is what we have ot deal with.

I've been pissed off at the fact that we watched some rock solid FA OL talent fly off the boards and the Bills never even tried for any of that talent.

I also think the Bills need to draft the best T on the board at #11 to do 1 of 2 things

1.) To gives us options if Peters continue to be the douche bag that he is and hold out until his ego is fully stroked or forces us to trade him

2.) Becvause the 2 OT that could and should be there for the Bills both have the ability to play LG and if we do work it out with Peters we have some solid depth at T and a much better competition for the remaining G spots.

SO I agree that our main concern is not trading for Cutler it is to invest heavily into the OL that allows us to have depth, a running game we can depend on, and pass protection long enough to be able to fire the ball down field.

you have the confidence in this staff to get it right? I don't.

Whats to stop them from bringing another MCCargo at the OL . How about another Dockery? How many screw ups does this staff have to make before you say enopugh is enough? Pay your most proven players.

Don't forget what dvision we're in. If you think a reshuffled OL isn't gonna be confused vs. the 3-4 defenses , look back to last year.

bigbub2352
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM
If this was next year after we suck again this year and fire everyone and start rebuilding again like we should be doing this year, i could see us being a part of this, but not with this regime, not with this coaching staff and FO, no way they luv edwards
This trade will not happen, Edwards is Skeletor's guy
Like i said if this was next year with a new front office and coaching staff i would see this as a possibility
but not now
we are not smart enough to make a move like this
he will end up a JET

OpIv37
04-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Wow, talk about a bunch of ****ing excuses.

First, Jax and Oak were TERRIBLE teams and if Edwards had a better first half, a comeback wouldn't have been needed in either case.

Second, this isn't the first time that Edwards has played on national TV and if he's going to be successful in the NFL, he needs more composure than that.

Third, the Cleveland game is one of MANY examples- Trent actually REGRESSED over the course of the season. He did the opposite of improving, which is why some of us are concerned.

When he plays like he did in the Cleveland game, or pretty much every game after he returned from the injury, he DESERVES to be crucified. We want the Bills to win. If a player has a bad game and keeps the Bills from winning, of course we're going to crucify him. If one of us has a bad day at the office, we have roughly 249 more 8-hour workdays to make up for it. Football players only get 16 3-hour days, so they don't have the luxury of making up for it later. They only get one shot at it. We're not simply going to back off of Trent because you say he's a "winner".

And why exactly do you think he's a winner? He didn't win at Stanford. He hasn't won at Buffalo. Your statement looks EXACTLY like what many people (myself included) were saying about Losman 2 or 3 years ago.

Luisito23
04-01-2009, 10:48 AM

What's the worst that happen...We miss the playoffs again, or have another losing season?

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I watched Hangartner play a bit last year on NFL rewind. He looked solid, real solid. . Dockery was even a more solid player with the skins than Hangartner was with his former team. Hangartner never played the quality NT he will be facing here in the AFCE

Peters- Antoine Caldwell/Luigs/Wood- Hangartner - Butler - Walker

is better than what we had last year. I agree. Thats if Peters is here.

Dr. Lecter
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
What's the worst that happen...We miss the playoffs again, or have another losing season?

I agree in theory, but you are also giving up a chance to fill a clear gaping hole (DL,OL, OLB) with the 11th pick and more to fill what might not be a hole.

don137
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Cutler play at the end of the year contributed greatly to the Broncos not making the playoffs. He had 2 td's and 4 ints over the last three weeks of the season. I went to the Carolina game against Denver and other than the first drive which he led them down for a TD he was putrid the rest of the game. From the second drive on the Panthers put pressure on him and he looked like the second coming of Joey Harrington.
I am not completely sold on Edwards by any means but I just do not see Cutler as a huge upgrade factoring in his sensitive ego which could clash with TO's sensitive ego.

bflobarry
04-01-2009, 10:55 AM
crappy teams. Doesn't prove a thing. It wasn't about his mistakes vs. the browns but how he lost confidence which made him turn into Rob Johnson.
Another Myth: Trent's comeback wins "don't count" b/c they were against crappy teams. There ARE no crappy teams in the NFL. Ask the Bucs if the Raiders were crappy when they knocked them out of their playoff position, on the road. Or us beating Denver, on the road, in 17 degree weather when Denver needed a win to clinch a playoff berth, and had a winning record at the time. And Jax was considered a playoff team When we beat them, ON THE ROAD. If you want to be a negative whiner about Edwards, fine. But give the stale cliches' a rest.

ddaryl
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
i agree about the oline....but i still question edwards ability to get the ball to TO, especially deep. Last years Cleveland game, Edwards refused to throw deep even though it was open the entire second half. Receivers were jumping down the field waving their arms for the ball and he wouldn't throw it. Plus him playing in the cold and snow is still a big question. This is a must win year for Jauron, him, and this team....if you can get Cutler you do it. This is about winning, not hurting a players feelings. Trent should have been pulled against Cleveland when he refused to throw the ball deep when it was wide open.

the Bills rarely had many deep throws in their gameplan. Let alone calling those plays during a game.

The Bills didn't have enough deep threats. Evans was the only real deep threat so the Bills pretty much removed much of their downfield plays, because it was a given that Evans wouldl be double teamed. The Bills also did nothing to get their rookies more involved in the passing game, and relied mostly on the vets. Parrish gets eaten at the LOS so his speed is nullified. Reed was a possesion guy. We have no field stretching TE either. So our WR's capabilites dictated much of the reason why we never took many shots downfield, and some games we took NO shots downfield

We'll know we will be going downfield more this year, otherwise T.O. will be getting into Turks face a hole heluva alot.

SO saying Edwards can't go downfield is mostly speculation at this point, and Trent did what they programmed him to do in his 1st full year as Bills starting QB.

HOWEVER our OL is a disaster that is going to haunt us

BigGabes23
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Edwards and our 2nd for Cutler and Scheffler :nod:

This would be a dream come true. In this case I would agree with some of the posters and take the top OL on the board at #11. Some general points:

1. I am a Trent Edwards Fan. 99% chance we will be riding him over the next few seasons... But
2. Denver is 3-13 without Cutler
3. Denver's OL last year is much worse than then Bill's current OL
4. Cutler is 12-1 when Their D allows less than 21 points.
5. Cutler and Schleffler instantly makes the Bills a top offense in the NFL

I love Trent, but you have to be crazy not to want him here....

OpIv37
04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Another Myth: Trent's comeback wins "don't count" b/c they were against crappy teams. There ARE no crappy teams in the NFL. Ask the Bucs if the Raiders were crappy when they knocked them out of their playoff position, on the road. Or us beating Denver, on the road, in 17 degree weather when Denver needed a win to clinch a playoff berth, and had a winning record at the time. And Jax was considered a playoff team When we beat them, ON THE ROAD. If you want to be a negative whiner about Edwards, fine. But give the stale cliches' a rest.

Sorry but your whole premise is false. I've only missed one Bills game in the last 7 years or so.... they're a crappy team.

Who cares if Jax is considered a playoff team? That's just media conjecture- it has nothing to do with the product that's actually on the field. They turned out to be terrible record-wise, which means they're a crappy team.

Jacksonville isn't crappy because someone considers them a playoff team? Please- that's the weakest argument I've seen in a long-ass time.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 11:00 AM
well if you grab his wins vs. crappy teams vs. his losses vs. crappy teams then it's a wash and we're still no where which means Trent is neither proven nor sucks.

read my comments on Trent. Get a clue. I like they guy but he's neither here nor there. The jury is still out on him. I blame most of his failures mostly on Turk. I've always stated that but I'm not gonna go out and say he's the next Brady or Montana either.

seanbillsfan
04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
i told myself that T.O. would never come to Buffalo, which happened obviously. Cutler to Buffalo will never happen. Whichever team lands him is going to have to give him a huge contract extension, which we all know Ralph doesnt really like to hand out that often

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I can use more than the Cleveland game as an example...

Dolphins, Jets, Pats games, not to mention the fact that in many of the wins he failed to put teams away cause he simply doesn't put points on the board. He gets us into FG range and that's where it ends most of the time.

Captain gameboy
04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I thought the Cowherd premise was weak to begin with.

He said the Bills could give up Edwards, draft picks and players.

Like who?
We have enough depth to roll the dice with Cutler?

Cowherd has his moments, but he never once mentioned the Bills re TO, and he speculated on nearly the entire league in that discussion, including a detailed logic discussion very similar to this on how it would make sense.

I don't see it ever happening.

BAM
04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd love it. I like Edwards but he still has tons to prove. Cutler has a better arm, more experience and is much more mobile. Make it happen.

clumping platelets
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Youboty or McCargo

S.C.A.M.
04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
OK..... This will never happen, but Colin Cowherd is talking about potential teams that Denver would be willing to trade with, and they keep coming back to the Bills. They have a young talented QB and players and picks they could give up. It does make the most sense, as most teams mentioned (like the Jets and Bucs) have no QBs to send back to Denver. I live in Cleveland and I can tell you there is no way a deal including Brady Quinn will happen. What do you think of:

Trent Edwards and Poz

for

Jay Cutler and a 3rd rond pick?

I take Maualuga with the 11th pick. He will shoot up the board again after his pro day.

What do you think?

Done in a heartbeat.

venis2k1
04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
this is one of those issues where money is the deciding factor. assuming Cutler gets a new contract with his new team...

cost of playing for the bills in 2009:

Trent: $450,000

Cuter: $60,000,000

we are too cheap to make a move like this.

homeslice5484
04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
true, but Stevie and Lee were wide open down the field the second half and he refused to throw it. I was there...i saw both WR at different times jumping up and waving their arms down the field for him to throw the ball, and he didn't. The game should not have been close at the end to rely on Lindell, that game is on Trent.

the Bills rarely had many deep throws in their gameplan. Let alone calling those plays during a game.

The Bills didn't have enough deep threats. Evans was the only real deep threat so the Bills pretty much removed much of their downfield plays, because it was a given that Evans wouldl be double teamed. The Bills also did nothing to get their rookies more involved in the passing game, and relied mostly on the vets. Parrish gets eaten at the LOS so his speed is nullified. Reed was a possesion guy. We have no field stretching TE either. So our WR's capabilites dictated much of the reason why we never took many shots downfield, and some games we took NO shots downfield

We'll know we will be going downfield more this year, otherwise T.O. will be getting into Turks face a hole heluva alot.

SO saying Edwards can't go downfield is mostly speculation at this point, and Trent did what they programmed him to do in his 1st full year as Bills starting QB.

HOWEVER our OL is a disaster that is going to haunt us

ddaryl
04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
true, but Stevie and Lee were wide open down the field the second half and he refused to throw it. I was there...i saw both WR at different times jumping up and waving their arms down the field for him to throw the ball, and he didn't. The game should not have been close at the end to rely on Lindell, that game is on Trent.

IMO that is not enough of a tell tale sign for a 1st QB whose coaches have pretty much asked him to stick to % safe passes.

Trent struggled in a few games last year, no denying that. But that is what 1st year starting QB's do...

I just find the Cutler trade talks to be a distration from what is much more important for this team, and that is OL and pass rush

homeslice5484
04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
im not totally hating on trent...i just question his ability to take us to the next level based on what I have seen. Can he get the ball to TO? Can he handled games better like Cleveland? Can he play in bad weather? All these questions still loom and its frustrating.

Kenny
04-01-2009, 12:35 PM
im not totally hating on trent...i just question his ability to take us to the next level based on what I have seen. Can he get the ball to TO? Can he handled games better like Cleveland? Can he play in bad weather? All these questions still loom and its frustrating.

yeah, that's my sentiments exactly.

He was a 2nd year QB last year, and he definately looked like one.
Im just not sure what we have with the guy... Is he the god-like QB that played against KC? Or is he the turd that played against Cleveland?

Or is he the type of QB that plays like complete crap, only to turn it around in the last few minutes of 4th quarter (Seattle, Oakland games???)

Ingtar33
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
considering the rumors i've heard say Cutler is hated by his teammates...

and his childish fit he's thrown this off season i've no reason to doubt those rumors... he looks more and more like Jeff George then anyone else.

homeslice5484
04-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I just think there are far too many questions to go into this season with, if we are really committed to winning. If we have the chance to get someone who is an upgrade now I think we take it.

yeah, that's my sentiments exactly.

He was a 2nd year QB last year, and he definately looked like one.
Im just not sure what we have with the guy... Is he the god-like QB that played against KC? Or is he the turd that played against Cleveland?

Or is he the type of QB that plays like complete crap, only to turn it around in the last few minutes of 4th quarter (Seattle, Oakland games???)

SABURZFAN
04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
i think a couple weeks back that it was Ross Tucker on NFL Sirius Radio who said that the Bills brass told him that Edwards will be the starter in the Opener. Cutler will not be coming to Buffalo if he is correct.

FlyingDutchman
04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Wow, talk about a bunch of ****ing excuses.

First, Jax and Oak were TERRIBLE teams and if Edwards had a better first half, a comeback wouldn't have been needed in either case.

Second, this isn't the first time that Edwards has played on national TV and if he's going to be successful in the NFL, he needs more composure than that.

Third, the Cleveland game is one of MANY examples- Trent actually REGRESSED over the course of the season. He did the opposite of improving, which is why some of us are concerned.

When he plays like he did in the Cleveland game, or pretty much every game after he returned from the injury, he DESERVES to be crucified. We want the Bills to win. If a player has a bad game and keeps the Bills from winning, of course we're going to crucify him. If one of us has a bad day at the office, we have roughly 249 more 8-hour workdays to make up for it. Football players only get 16 3-hour days, so they don't have the luxury of making up for it later. They only get one shot at it. We're not simply going to back off of Trent because you say he's a "winner".

And why exactly do you think he's a winner? He didn't win at Stanford. He hasn't won at Buffalo. Your statement looks EXACTLY like what many people (myself included) were saying about Losman 2 or 3 years ago.

you can have any opinion you want of him either good or bad, but to say he deserved be "crucified" when it was basically his first season is way off. Its basically his rookie year and he has a crap supporting staff. He had a running back who couldnt get a 100 yard game and take heat off him. He basically had 1 WR and no TE and the only reason he got injured in the first place is bc our O line parted like the red sea. Not trying to make excuses, but if you were just out of college and into the working world, and you took a position managing a bunch of idiots, do you think your production would be near it peak in your first year?

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
you can have any opinion you want of him either good or bad, but to say he deserved be "crucified" when it was basically his first season is way off. Its basically his rookie year and he has a crap supporting staff. He had a running back who couldnt get a 100 yard game and take heat off him. He basically had 1 WR and no TE and the only reason he got injured in the first place is bc our O line parted like the red sea. Not trying to make excuses, but if you were just out of college and into the working world, and you took a position managing a bunch of idiots, do you think your production would be near it peak in your first year?
The OL had nothing to do with the injury. Trent knew he had a free blitzer coming and he threw hot to Hardy for a 12 yard gain. Adrian Wilson was at the LOS before the snap, got there fast, and made the hit.

OpIv37
04-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Anyone who plays poorly deserves to be crucified, period. No doubt there is plenty of blame to go around, and the RB, TE, WR and OL need to take their share of the blame, as do the coaches.

I know it's a team game and it's rare that one player individually wins or loses the game, but at some point we need to start holding players accountable for their performance. If I took a job managing a bunch of idiots, I'm sure I wouldn't get results right away, but I'd still be responsible for showing up on time, getting my share of the work done, delegating tasks, etc.

THATHURMANATOR
04-01-2009, 02:20 PM
In Trent I trust!

OpIv37
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
In Trent I trust!

And two years ago it was In JP I trust.

And three years before that it was In Drew I trust.

And two years before that it was In Rob I trust or In Doug I trust.

And three years before that it was In Todd I trust.

Uggh.

Look, I don't know if Trent will turn out like those guys or not. But the point is we've been here before: we have a QB who's shown some promise but also shown reason for concern, and we proceed with him anyway. The results have not been encouraging.

HHURRICANE
04-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Uggh.

Look, I don't know if Trent will turn out like those guys or not. But the point is we've been here before: we have a QB who's shown some promise but also shown reason for concern, and we proceed with him anyway. The results have not been encouraging.

Op, Trent has not looked like JP did in his first two years. I promise you that Denver would take Edwards over Cutler in a heartbeat.

Cutler has had the benefit of a coach that understands the position better than anybody in the league.

TheMan08
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Cutler has an arm tailor made for the buffalo weather

FlyingDutchman
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
not gonna happen fellas. its gonna be a bidding war, and thats not exactly buffalos thing. stop teasing yourselves.

Ed
04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
considering the rumors i've heard say Cutler is hated by his teammates...

and his childish fit he's thrown this off season i've no reason to doubt those rumors... he looks more and more like Jeff George then anyone else.
Living in Denver, I get to see a lot of his post game press conferences and I always think he comes off as a baby and a douche.

SABURZFAN
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Uggh.

we're overdue. :up:

yordad
04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
not gonna happen fellas. its gonna be a bidding war, and thats not exactly buffalos thing. stop teasing yourselves.I bidding war with who? They will need a QB. Who has a QB they would want, and would be willing to trade?

Dujek
04-02-2009, 03:08 AM

So we should trade for another QB who has shown some promise but also shown some reason for concern?

I'm not 100% sold on Edwards, but there is just as much, if not more, risk with Cutler.

jamze132
04-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Maybe the FO will offer Peters, Edwards, and #11 overall for Cutler and all his BS baggage. That wouldn't surprise me from this FO.

OpIv37
04-02-2009, 07:24 AM
So we should trade for another QB who has shown some promise but also shown some reason for concern?

I'm not 100% sold on Edwards, but there is just as much, if not more, risk with Cutler.

When it comes to ability, Cutler is less of a risk than Edwards. When it comes to attitude, he's more of a risk- especially with TO.

Again, I don't think any QB change is going to make a difference without an OL. Polian could go temporarily insane and trade us Manning for McCargo straight up, and we'd still lose because Manning would spend the entire season in the turf.

What I'm saying is that I hope the Bills' FO approaches these situations like Cutler on a case-by-case basis and aren't summarily saying "we don't need a QB." If they conclude he's not the right guy after looking at the price tag, his stats, his performance, and his attitude, fine. Basically, I just want to know that they're doing their jobs instead of sticking to guys we already have to save face and save money.

Mahdi
04-02-2009, 07:47 AM
When it comes to ability, Cutler is less of a risk than Edwards. When it comes to attitude, he's more of a risk- especially with TO.

Again, I don't think any QB change is going to make a difference without an OL. Polian could go temporarily insane and trade us Manning for McCargo straight up, and we'd still lose because Manning would spend the entire season in the turf.

What I'm saying is that I hope the Bills' FO approaches these situations like Cutler on a case-by-case basis and aren't summarily saying "we don't need a QB." If they conclude he's not the right guy after looking at the price tag, his stats, his performance, and his attitude, fine. Basically, I just want to know that they're doing their jobs instead of sticking to guys we already have to save face and save money.
Roethlesberger and Cassel were sacked more than Edwards, I dont see their production falling off....

Favre and Schaub were sacked barely less, no production fall off there either.

OL is not the problem. QBing is the problem whether you want Cutler or not.

HHURRICANE
04-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote of the day.

Denver would be very happy with Edwards which is why this board cracks me up. Denver would have no problem taking Edwards off our hands with our first round pick.

Get the vaseline out if this were ever to happn.

Again, I got to watch both Edwards and Cutler play head to head, in Denver, outside, and Edwards looked like the better QB.

Did anyone actually watch the game? The game we won?

OpIv37
04-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Quote of the day.

Denver would be very happy with Edwards which is why this board cracks me up. Denver would have no problem taking Edwards off our hands with our first round pick.

Again, I got to watch both Edwards and Cutler play head to head, in Denver, outside, and Edwards looked like the better QB.

you can't use one head to head game as the sole evaluating factor, especially considering that Denver has a crappy D.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2009, 08:12 AM
you can't use one head to head game as the sole evaluating factor, especially considering that Denver has a crappy D.

And the Bills have an awesome D?

OpIv37
04-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Roethlesberger and Cassel were sacked more than Edwards, I dont see their production falling off....

Favre and Schaub were sacked barely less, no production fall off there either.

OL is not the problem. QBing is the problem whether you want Cutler or not.

QBing is one of the problems. OL is another. WR was another last year, although hopefully we've solved that one. DE was another, LB was another.... this team has a slew of problems and will only be as good as the weakest link.

And btw, if OL wasn't the problem, why did the Bills cut Dockery and refuse to resign Preston, Fowler and Whittle? Seems to me that letting 4 guys walk (2 starters) means that the OL WAS a problem.

Kenny
04-02-2009, 08:21 AM
QBing is one of the problems. OL is another. WR was another last year, although hopefully we've solved that one. DE was another, LB was another.... this team has a slew of problems and will only be as good as the weakest link.

And btw, if OL wasn't the problem, why did the Bills cut Dockery and refuse to resign Preston, Fowler and Whittle? Seems to me that letting 4 guys walk (2 starters) means that the OL WAS a problem.

Im not disagreeing with you that OL was a problem, but the QB position was by far the main problem last year.

And yes we let go of 4 guys. But I see it as getting rid of 3 backups and another guy so we didnt have to pay him.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Im not disagreeing with you that OL was a problem, but the QB position was by far the main problem last year.

And yes we let go of 4 guys. But I see it as getting rid of 3 backups and another guy so we didnt have to pay him.

The QB position, when Edwards was in, was not the main problem last year. TE, #2 WR, and LG/C were far bigger problems.

Not that Edwards did not have problems, because he did. But QB is still down the list on what needs to be fixed.

TigerJ
04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, Buffalo has a young and talented QB who is smart, seems to have his head screwed on much straighter than most NFL QBs and has a consistently great attitude. Of course it makes sense to get rid of him for QB who is a prima dona that turns on his teamas soon as there is any hint of trouble.

Mahdi
04-02-2009, 08:44 AM

Good point. Yes the OL was a problem but more when it came to run blocking.

Pass blocking though was better than teams with more successful QBs. At the end of the day though poor run blocking will lead to a flawed passing game so in the end the root problem is the OL I suppose.

Still Edwards was bad even when we had good run blocking. He has a ton of things to fix.

HHURRICANE
09-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Quote of the day.

I stand by my post !! Made in April.

Joe Fo Sho
09-13-2009, 09:04 PM

I wish I knew where you were right now, cuz I'd be able to come over and give you a well deserved cookie.

HHURRICANE
09-13-2009, 09:06 PM
I wish I knew where you were right now, cuz I'd be able to come over and give you a well deserved cookie.

That's my nice way of ripping everyone who wanted Cutler over Edwards.

Joe Fo Sho
09-13-2009, 09:09 PM
That's my nice way of ripping everyone who wanted Cutler over Edwards.

I got ya, I was just one of those that wanted him, and I still stand by that. Man would I love to be wrong.

Pinkerton Security
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I got ya, I was just one of those that wanted him, and I still stand by that. Man would I love to be wrong.

well if trent plays worse than cutler has tonight, then you should quit playing madden forever..

Pinkerton Security
09-13-2009, 09:58 PM

do you mark these posts down in a little notebook so that when one or 2 actually are correct, you can come back and post how smart you are? get a life

Joe Fo Sho
09-13-2009, 10:46 PM
well if trent plays worse than cutler has tonight, then you should quit playing madden forever..

I've already quit playing madden forever like 6 times. By the way, I played my game, you're up.