PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jackson's agent: If character counts, where are the Bills?

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Fred Jackson and his agent think the Buffalo Bills should, in effect, put their money where their mouth is in regards to high-character players.

Jackson, the Bills' second-string running back, is without a signed contract and has been dissatisfied with the way negotiations on a long-term deal have gone this spring.

A day after Bills Chief Executive Officer Russ Brandon espoused the importance of strong character in the team's player evaluations, Jackson's agent, Jerry Douglas, released a statement.

"We find the organization's comments regarding the importance of character very interesting given their position on Fred Jackson," said Douglas, who is based in New Jersey. "I think it's a fair statement to say that during his three years with the Bills, Fred has demonstrated his high character and that he is second to none in that department, to say nothing of his on-the-field contributions. Yet the organization is not making a concerted effort to lock in Fred as part of the team's long-term future. Public statements are great as long as you mean what you say."

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/641930.html

elltrain22
04-16-2009, 08:35 PM
His agent is [B]exactly[B] right!! If I was an agent, and I was representing Jackson, I'd be saying the same thing.

billsfanone
04-16-2009, 08:40 PM
:bf1:

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
our FO is a joke.

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Fred Jackson is down the list. Sorry. Sign Peters first. Jackson has no leverage whatsoever. The Bills should not be breaking the bank for him.

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2009, 08:47 PM
our FO is a joke.

Why?

Because they are not caving into the demands of a back-up running back who has no leverage to talk to anybody else? I like Fred Jackson, but the Bills do not need to cave into him immediately.

Nighthawk
04-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Fred Jackson is down the list. Sorry. Sign Peters first. Jackson has no leverage whatsoever. The Bills should not be breaking the bank for him.

I couldn't agree more. You don't overpay for a 28 years old, backup RB. The guy has zero leverage. I'm sorry, he's being a baby.

Bulldog
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd be curious to see what Freddy's salary demands are. I wouldn't break the bank for him by any means, but I think Jackson is more vital to this offense than most realize, even with Lynch in the line-up.

Is it me, or does every negotiation that this front office handles turns into a long, drawn out headache? Thats the most frustrating part about it. Maybe it just seems this way because I follow the Bills so closely, but it doesn't seem like it's this difficult for most other teams.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Give me a break. 1. Jackson is 28 and 2. he's a backup. 3. He's had 1 good year he shouldn't be demanding ****.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I guess I don't understand the part of the comment: "given their position on Fred Jackson."

Aren't they trying to re-sign him? Haven't they talked about giving him a raise? Why is that a bad position regarding Fred Jackson?

WeAreArthurMoates
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I couldn't agree more. You don't overpay for a 28 years old, backup RB. The guy has zero leverage. I'm sorry, he's being a baby

I second that, I love Freddy but he's not the highest priority on the list right now. They have to figure out this Peters situation before hand and I think trading Roscoe factors into what they give Freddy. As a great back-up and punt returner Freddy could be worth the 3 mil a season he's looking for.

SABURZFAN
04-16-2009, 09:55 PM
he IS right but they've let players better than him get away.

feldspar
04-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Actually, what Jackson's agent said was highly inappropriate. It was counter-productive to any contract negotiations. It was stupid. Whether it's true or not is entirely beside the point. It was unprofessional.

Brandon said what he said because he was defending the integrity of the Bills organization, which was necessary due to the fact that two of our recent first-round draft picks were recently arrested. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with Jackson, and it was no way a reflection on him or how we feel about him. What Agent Jackson did was exploit the Bills current problems for the benefit of his client, but, like I said, it's counter-productive. Insinuating that the Bills are hypocrites or liars isn't going to help anyone...and insinuate that we are hypocrites or liars is exactly what he did. Again, this does not put you in good with the organization, so why do it? Are we going to give Jackson a trillion dollars just to prove his agent wrong?

Agent Jackson should know when to shut up. Maybe it's the same agent Freddie had coming out of Coe College. Maybe he needs to upgrade. I think that the Bills will treat Jackson fairly in the end, especially since he showed up for the voluntary workouts, not to mention the fact that we NEED a RB since Lynch is going to be suspended. But Agent Jackson's tactics are WAY off base. All saying what he said does is reflect poorly on himself and his client, and take down the character he was claiming to have down a notch. You don't call your boss an asswipe and then ask for a raise with the next breath.

TO was suspended for the rest of the season from the Eagles and eventually let go because he questioned the integrity of his team publicly. You just don't do it. One thing any team doesn't like is to lose face, especially on a deliberate act of one of it's own players...and it doesn't matter if what that player said was true or not.

BILLSROCK1212
04-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Why?

Because they are not caving into the demands of a back-up running back who has no leverage to talk to anybody else? I like Fred Jackson, but the Bills do not need to cave into him immediately.
show Peters what happens when you have a good character and show up to involuntary workouts which Jackson has done

feldspar
04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
show Peters what happens when you have a good character and show up to involuntary workouts which Jackson has done

I don't think Peters will be watching.

He'll be too busy watching cartoons.

jamze132
04-17-2009, 01:45 AM
His agent is a tool. You don;t say **** like that when you are trying to get your client a long-term deal.

Night Train
04-17-2009, 04:39 AM
I detest negotiations thru the media.

Don't Panic
04-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Granted he didn't show much wisdom by going to the public, but there is an element to this which speaks to our inability to take care of our own. Jackson had a great year for us last year. It's hard to know who to side with when you don't know the numbers (see: Jason Peters), but there shouldn't be so much trouble giving a guy a fair contract (see: average backup RB salary). I want our FO to be firm in their stance, but I hope they're not being tight, and I fear they may be.

Yasgur's Farm
04-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Who here can say for sure if the Bills have a contract offer on the table... Say $2M/year... What if Fred wants $4M/year?

Fred needs to...
1) Continue to be patient
2) Continue to keep quiet
3) Fire his loud mouth agent.

chernobylwraiths
04-17-2009, 06:38 AM

No leverage? Are we going into the season with Omon as our go to RB for the first three games?

He has a little bit of leverage.

Jan Reimers
04-17-2009, 06:52 AM
I think it's mostly a commentary on the current state of the Bills that in negotiating a raise, a guy uses the fact that he hasn't been arrested as a major positive.

Night Train
04-17-2009, 07:09 AM
I think it's mostly a commentary on the current state of the Bills that in negotiating a raise, a guy uses the fact that he hasn't been arrested as a major positive.

:rofl:

billsfanone
04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd be curious to see what Freddy's salary demands are. I wouldn't break the bank for him by any means, but I think Jackson is more vital to this offense than most realize, even with Lynch in the line-up.

Is it me, or does every negotiation that this front office handles turns into a long, drawn out headache? Thats the most frustrating part about it. Maybe it just seems this way because I follow the Bills so closely, but it doesn't seem like it's this difficult for most other teams.

Agreed. I doubt Jackson is asking for that much.

HHURRICANE
04-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Excellent post. Maybe our marketing guy should stick to marketing and let a real GM handle contracts.

Tatonka
04-17-2009, 08:09 AM
wow.. nice job by the agent.. that ought to really fire up negotiations.. idiot.

Saratoga Slim
04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Why?

Exactly. There are only so many dollars to go around. The name of the GM game is spreading those dollars around so that you put the best team possible on the field. Every team has high-ticket players that command large portions of the available cash, and the best teams are the ones that do a good job of filling the remainder of their rosters by finding draft picks and low-priced FAs that outperform their initial contracts. I.e., good play at a bargain price. That's the way to run a good front office.

The FO would be more of a joke if it coughed up money to every player that decided he was outperforming his pay. It would be absolute mayhem.

Fred Jackson IS outperforming his pay, and he deserves a raise. But he's our backup running back--exactly the type of guy that we need to outperform his pay in order for the Bills to be successful. The Bills have the leverage here, and while Freddie's a good guy that deserves more, you can't pay everybody.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 08:36 AM
I think the main problem with the agent's statements is that they're very self-serving. The Bills have been giving raises to a lot of high-character guys (Lee Evans, Kelsay, Schobel, etc.), even if they are overpaying those guys. The Bills have also not given any contract extensions to any of the three players that got arrested recently.

However, the agent doesn't refer to any of that, he only says "well, the Bills are hypocrites because they haven't locked up MY client, Fred Jackson." That by itself doesn't make the Bills hypocrites.

The agent definitely made the wrong move, imo.

ddaryl
04-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I just really hope the Bills do take care of Fred and he is locked up with a respectable deal for 4 + years.

Other wise this is agent posturing. At least he is not demanding Fred be the highest paid at is position

TacklingDummy
04-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Fred Jackson is down the list. Sorry. Sign Peters first. Jackson has no leverage whatsoever. And Peters has leverage?

Jackson: not signed, some leverage considering Lynch is out the first 3 games.
Peters: 2 years left on deal, no leverage at all.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
And Peters has leverage?

Jackson: not signed, some leverage
Peters: 2 years left on deal, no leverage at all.

The problem with Jackson is that he has to play for the Bills this year as a ERFA. I believe next year he'll be an RFA, and depending on what happens with the CBA, he may be an RFA for a year or two after that (not sure because I don't know exactly how many years he's accrued, technically). So Jackson has little leverage because he's under the control of the Bills for quite a while.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Actually, what Jackson's agent said was highly inappropriate. It was counter-productive to any contract negotiations. It was stupid. Whether it's true or not is entirely beside the point. It was unprofessional.

Brandon said what he said because he was defending the integrity of the Bills organization, which was necessary due to the fact that two of our recent first-round draft picks were recently arrested. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with Jackson, and it was no way a reflection on him or how we feel about him. What Agent Jackson did was exploit the Bills current problems for the benefit of his client, but, like I said, it's counter-productive. Insinuating that the Bills are hypocrites or liars isn't going to help anyone...and insinuate that we are hypocrites or liars is exactly what he did. Again, this does not put you in good with the organization, so why do it? Are we going to give Jackson a trillion dollars just to prove his agent wrong?

Agent Jackson should know when to shut up. Maybe it's the same agent Freddie had coming out of Coe College. Maybe he needs to upgrade. I think that the Bills will treat Jackson fairly in the end, especially since he showed up for the voluntary workouts, not to mention the fact that we NEED a RB since Lynch is going to be suspended. But Agent Jackson's tactics are WAY off base. All saying what he said does is reflect poorly on himself and his client, and take down the character he was claiming to have down a notch. You don't call your boss an asswipe and then ask for a raise with the next breath.

TO was suspended for the rest of the season from the Eagles and eventually let go because he questioned the integrity of his team publicly. You just don't do it. One thing any team doesn't like is to lose face, especially on a deliberate act of one of it's own players...and it doesn't matter if what that player said was true or not.

I don't think he was expoiting anything. He was looking out for the best interest of his client. We're looking at this from a fans perspective and as fans we hope that everyone that contributes and helps this team gets signed for peanuts.

If I were a player I would want my agent looking out for me and fighting for me.

If I were Jackson I wouldn't care what goes on with Peters. You look out for yourself because a team can easily just cut you and not care for you whenever they feel like it.

TacklingDummy
04-17-2009, 08:51 AM
So Jackson has little leverage because he's under the control of the Bills for quite a while. So is Peters.

I'm sure Jackson is not asking to be the highest paid RB in the league. Even though he is the best overall RB on the roster.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't blame Jackson if he wants to cash out now. We all know that your carreer can turn from great to garbage in one season. Ask TKO.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
And Peters has leverage?

Jackson: not signed, some leverage considering Lynch is out the first 3 games.

Peters may not have any leverage contract based but in the same aspect as you pointed out with Jackson, Peters has some leverage because he knows his situation affects the bills line-up and how they will draft.

Ginger Vitis
04-17-2009, 09:15 AM
ooohh.. Was that a hidden dig at Marshawn Lynch? The camraderie and friendship between Marshawn and Freddy is about to turn frosty..

gil
04-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Signing Freddy sets an example to the rest of the team - you perform and show up to work, we'll take care of you.

Maybe the agent should have kept his mouth shut, but I think it was a well deserved dig - it's not like our FO is above reproach.

I highly doubt this guy's demands are that outrageous and what are we, like $50 million under the cap?

I don't blame him either - he's a 28yr old RB - he does have a little bit of leverage right now and who knows if he ever will again - he should be trying to get paid.

M
04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't think he was expoiting anything. He was looking out for the best interest of his client. Of course he was - that's why he went to to the media with his message of "if character counts" when he knows full well that two players have recently had runs in with the law.

If I were a player I would want my agent looking out for me and fighting for me. I would too but the way his agent is giong about it, is just tacky IMO.

trapezeus
04-17-2009, 09:23 AM
the agent makes a good point, but it doesn't pertain to jackson. as a restricted free agent, the bills have exclusive rights to him. so from a business standpoint, they are better settling with the guys who could walk out or want off, then to deal with jackson.

They should be soothing him over though. They should tell jackson, "you are key to this team, we want you to succeed in those first 3 weeks and we want you to be a big part of the offense." however in the pecking order of business, we have to just tighten up pressing matters." We won't forget you and you'll get a deal that you like before the TC. Please show up for the non mandatory sessions as good faith on your part."

as god awful as the bills FO has been, i don't think they want to lose this guy. and i don't think he's asking for too much.

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Signing Freddy sets an example to the rest of the team - you perform and show up to work, we'll take care of you.

Maybe the agent should have kept his mouth shut, but I think it was a well deserved dig - it's not like our FO is above reproach.

I highly doubt this guy's demands are that outrageous and what are we, like $50 million under the cap?

I don't blame him either - he's a 28yr old RB - he does have a little bit of leverage right now and who knows if he ever will again - he should be trying to get paid.

They have done the first part a bunch of times. Hell, they have even signed players they should not have signed. But they do sign their guys.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Of course he was - that's why he went to to the media with his message of "if character counts" when he knows full well that two players have recently had runs in with the law.

I would too but the way his agent is giong about it, is just tacky IMO.

It might be that he tried doing it the quiet way and it didn't work so he's going public about it.

Yet the organization is not making a concerted effort to lock in Fred as part of the team's long-term future.
He's doing what Aaron and Kelsay did by showing up to involuntary workouts and looks like the agent is not satisfied with the FO's efforts.

you do whatever it takes to get the job done in the best interest of your client.

patmoran2006
04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I detest negotiations thru the media.
Agreed and that's exactly what that statement relates to. I'm not a fan of our FO obviously, but you don't let the media negotiate your contracts.