PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kelsay's On the trading block

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Most likely wont get any takers but he out there sound like we will be going DE at 11.

Allen Wilson, of The Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills have floated DE Chris Kelsay's name as a trade possibility, according to a league source.

BillsWin
04-19-2009, 01:43 AM
We are either rebuilding or bracing ourselves for something big. Stock piling draft picks to pull off a last minute trade. Peppers maybe or someone of that caliber...

You don't sign T.O to win now to rebuild... but all the trades....... Im baffled.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 01:43 AM
If we draft a DE and with four under contract (Schobel, Denney, Ellis and Kelsay) one of them has to give and I think Kelsay is the odd man out, though Denney is not completely safe.

Tatonka
04-19-2009, 01:44 AM
how is getting rid of a guy that doesnt want to be here and getting some good draft picks (peters) and getting rid of a guy that should be a back up lineman (kelsay) and a 4th string receiver (parrish) make anyone think that we are rebuilding?

BillsWin
04-19-2009, 01:48 AM
how is getting rid of a guy that doesnt want to be here and getting some good draft picks (peters) and getting rid of a guy that should be a back up lineman (kelsay) and a 4th string receiver (parrish) make anyone think that we are rebuilding?

Because anytime you stock pile draft picks by trading players out for them, youre losing a player, and that spot will be filled by a draft pick. but not every rookie will come in and start and make a difference. so if we are relying on the draft, the notion that we are rebuilding sounds about right.

its just a thought.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2009, 01:51 AM
I dont think we are rebuilding the FO has to know this team must compete this year or the fans just may turn on them get rid of him and stock pile some picks then trade up from 28 to draft an impact type player who will see the field this year no more projects please.

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 01:58 AM
If we are lucky we could maybe get some chicken wings for him. C'mon OBD, im hungry.

clumping platelets
04-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Kelsay for Waters :up:

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Kelsay for Waters :up:

More likely

Kelsay for Water

jimbohastle51
04-19-2009, 02:09 AM
i have a feeling a tony sheffler and a brian waters trade will be happening soon. and i think that we still take a LB at 11. we will get our DE (ayers or brown) after. even if we have to move up a spot or 2 in the first.

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 02:15 AM
i have a feeling a tony sheffler and a brian waters trade will be happening soon. and i think that we still take a LB at 11. we will get our DE (ayers or brown) after. even if we have to move up a spot or 2 in the first.

On BB.com they said that on Sirus they were talking about Denver trading Sheffler and 18 to bills for 11.

Then we can get the Waters trade with the 3rd and possibly Henderson with a 4th if it is true.

jimbohastle51
04-19-2009, 02:18 AM
On BB.com they said that on Sirus they were talking about Denver trading Sheffler and 18 to bills for 11.

Then we can get the Waters trade with the 3rd and possibly Henderson with a 4th if it is true.

;) yep already have had a heard something about that sheffler thing, and waters will look good in blue and red!

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 02:21 AM
;) yep already have had a heard something about that sheffler thing, and waters will look good in blue and red!

He would look horrible as a giant.

jamze132
04-19-2009, 05:38 AM

If that were true, I would do it in a heart beat.

clumping platelets
04-19-2009, 05:39 AM

:nod:

Ickybaluky
04-19-2009, 06:04 AM
If that were true, I would do it in a heart beat.

I think they would be giving up too much. That puts late 2nd-round value on Sheffler, who probably isn't worth that given his current situation. Plus, while it may be in the Bills interest to trade down a couple slots, I don't think they want to go down to #18. That is too far.

I do think there is a good chance Scheffler gets traded, as he still wants out of Denver (he isn't at team activites) and probably doesn't fit as well into their offense as Dan Graham does. He only has 1 year left on his rookie contract and will require a new contract (probably done as part of the trade). That limits his value.

I think the Bills would have a good shot of trading for Scheffler if they want him (and he would help Trent Edwards and their offense a great deal, as he would have a lot of room in the middle with Owens/Evans on the outside), but wouldn't have to give up that much. I think his value is closer to the 4th round (and the Bills have 2), maybe late 3rd at best.

TonyBlack
04-19-2009, 06:07 AM
another 3rd round pick, and i be happy.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 06:28 AM
I think they would be giving up too much. That puts late 2nd-round value on Sheffler, who probably isn't worth that given his current situation. Plus, while it may be in the Bills interest to trade down a couple slots, I don't think they want to go down to #18. That is too far.

I do think there is a good chance Scheffler gets traded, as he still wants out of Denver (he isn't at team activites) and probably doesn't fit as well into their offense as Dan Graham does. He only has 1 year left on his rookie contract and will require a new contract (probably done as part of the trade). That limits his value.

I think the Bills would have a good shot of trading for Scheffler if they want him (and he would help Trent Edwards and their offense a great deal, as he would have a lot of room in the middle with Owens/Evans on the outside), but wouldn't have to give up that much. I think his value is closer to the 4th round (and the Bills have 2), maybe late 3rd at best.

I think the Bills will be happy with the 18th

They will still have a chance at one of the LT guys like Britton or Beatty and it is also seemingly likely that someone like Everette Brown will fall.

The Broncos have two 3rds so its possible they'll include a 4th to sweeten the deal.

I would happily see the Bills trade #11 and #147 to the Broncos in return for #18, #114 and Tony Scheffler, as the team will have dealt with a need and still have three Day1 picks remaining for a DE, LB, and OT.

Even if they don't get any additional picks and its a straight R1 swap plus Scheffler, the Bills will wonder if they can get similar quality ready to start in the draft.

If they don't get Scheffler, one of their first 4 picks may go on a TE, and will be get the same quality at #75?

Mr. Miyagi
04-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I just love all the activities we're having this offseason instead of the status quo approach in the past years.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I just love all the activities we're having this offseason instead of the status quo approach in the past years.

It's exciting watching them give away our talent for trade picks so we can develop them and than not be able to keep them.

The circle of life at OBD.

"Draft em and trade em"!!

The Bills have less than a week to prove to me that there is something other than saving money that they are doing over there.

A trade for Scheffler actually would make me believe that. It would probably happen if Sanchez is sitting there when we come up.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 09:56 AM
By the way do you really believe any team would trade for Kelsay? Serioulsy?

This guy is in danger of getting cut so why would you believe that anyone would need to waste their 7th rounder on him.

acehole
04-19-2009, 10:04 AM
We are either rebuilding or bracing ourselves for something big. Stock piling draft picks to pull off a last minute trade. Peppers maybe or someone of that caliber...

You don't sign T.O to win now to rebuild... but all the trades....... Im baffled.

TO could have been no more then a ticket buying scheme during a rebuilding effort?

trapezeus
04-19-2009, 10:33 AM
kelsay and denney, to me are the equivalent of JP discussions last year. Who wants these two guys? They are overpaid, and have done nothing. teams are so much better trying to select a mid round DE and hope they got someone than to trade for these two.

kelsay could be on the block, but i don't know who in their right mind takes him.

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 10:37 AM

EXACTLY!!! I look at this as a good thing...taking steps to get better. Everybody *****es about Kelsey and now he's on the block and people think we are rebuilding? Were not rebuilding, we're trying to get better at that position! I like the idea of trading these underachievers and getting draft picks to try to make the team better then a 7-9 team. Losing Peters hurts, no doubt, but they received very good value in that trade and if they draft correctly (big "if", I know) then this could be a very good offseason for this team.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 10:37 AM
kelsay and denney, to me are the equivalent of JP discussions last year. Who wants these two guys? They are overpaid, and have done nothing. teams are so much better trying to select a mid round DE and hope they got someone than to trade for these two.

kelsay could be on the block, but i don't know who in their right mind takes him.

Exactly.

By the way, Denney has proved to be the better player.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
EXACTLY!!! I look at this as a good thing...taking steps to get better. Everybody *****es about Kelsey and now he's on the block and people think we are rebuilding? Were not rebuilding, we're trying to get better at that position! I like the idea of trading this underachievers and getting draft picks to try to make the team better then a 7-9 team. Losing Peters hurts, no doubt, but they received very good value in that trade and if they draft correctly (big "if", I know) then this could be a very good offseason for this team.

How do you equate a bunch of rookies as an improvement over proven starters?

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
EXACTLY!!! I look at this as a good thing...taking steps to get better. Everybody *****es about Kelsey and now he's on the block and people think we are rebuilding? Were not rebuilding, we're trying to get better at that position! I like the idea of trading these underachievers and getting draft picks to try to make the team better then a 7-9 team. Losing Peters hurts, no doubt, but they received very good value in that trade and if they draft correctly (big "if", I know) then this could be a very good offseason for this team.

Trading one of the best YOUNG players in the league, just coming into his prime, with another 6 years ahead of him, is never, ever, a good move. Sorry.

Peppers is a good trade for Carolina because he's on the wrong side of 30. But Peters was worth 10 million a year. The funny thing is that he wanted 8 million last season so how stupid does our front office look now?

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Trading one of the best YOUNG players in the league, just coming into his prime, with another 6 years ahead of him, is never, ever, a good move. Sorry.

Peppers is a good trade for Carolina because he's on the wrong side of 30. But Peters was worth 10 million a year. The funny thing is that he wanted 8 million last season so how stupid does our front office look now?

Again, he didn't get 10 million, he got 13.5 million...your math is way off.

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 10:45 AM
How do you equate a bunch of rookies as an improvement over proven starters?

What has Parrish or Kelsey proven? The only thing they've proven is that they aren't very good. Parrish is a great returner, but other then that he's done nothing.

billsfanone
04-19-2009, 10:47 AM
kelsay is a steal for any team looking for a backup de.

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 10:51 AM

I wouldn't say he is a steal for the money he's being paid.

realdealryan
04-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Because anytime you stock pile draft picks by trading players out for them, youre losing a player, and that spot will be filled by a draft pick. but not every rookie will come in and start and make a difference. so if we are relying on the draft, the notion that we are rebuilding sounds about right.

Other than Peters, we're not trading people that should be starting. And Russ won't be held hostage by a player...so, wrong or not, that's not rebuilding either.

realdealryan
04-19-2009, 10:53 AM

I think he means after we cut him and he comes in for <$1 mil.

Night Train
04-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Which means if they can't get anything for him and the draft completes, he could very well be cut right after.

Bmax
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
If that happened it would take place on draft day...

Bmax

yordad
04-19-2009, 11:20 AM
How do you equate a bunch of rookies as an improvement over proven starters?How do you equate Kelsay to be a proven starter?

Oaf
04-19-2009, 11:56 AM
What would Denver's motive be in moving to 11? It's gotta be a big one to do something like that.

Philagape
04-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Other than Peters, we're not trading people that should be starting.

Whether a player shouldn't be starting is irrelevant as to whether the Bills are rebuilding, because they're losing players who WERE starting.
Regardless of how they played, Peters, Dockery and Fowler need to be replaced. If Kelsay is traded, he'll need to be replaced. Crowell still needs to be replaced. Royal. With so many holes to fill, I'd say that's rebuilding. It's starting over at positions where players didn't work out for one reason or another. At least for the o-line, which I hear is fairly important.
The candidates are also-rans, other team's backups with "upside" and draft picks.

X-Era
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I would almost agree... almost.

But right now, as of today, this team isnt a little bit worse than last year, its way worse.

We have no starting left side of the line (LT, and LG), unless you completely move everyone except for Butler, but then does anyone expect them to be fully jelled and ready to go day one? :rolleyes:

We have no starting OLB

No starting TE

A desperate need for a real pass rush

And no real depth anywhere besides WR and CB.

Now, I agree that trading any of Kelsay and Parrish makes sense and have no problem.

But you cant look at how much will be changing and say that we arent overhauling or rebuilding.

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 02:10 PM
I would almost agree... almost.

But right now, as of today, this team isnt a little bit worse than last year, its way worse.

We have no starting left side of the line (LT, and LG), unless you completely move everyone except for Butler, but then does anyone expect them to be fully jelled and ready to go day one? :rolleyes:

We have no starting OLB

No starting TE

A desperate need for a real pass rush

And no real depth anywhere besides WR and CB.

Now, I agree that trading any of Kelsay and Parrish makes sense and have no problem.

But you cant look at how much will be changing and say that we arent overhauling or rebuilding.

You do realize the draft is coming up next weekend...don't you?

RandolphDuke
04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
How do you equate Kelsay to be a proven starter?
I can prove that he has started lots and lots of games. I can't prove, however, that he was very good in those starts.

X-Era
04-19-2009, 02:14 PM
You do realize the draft is coming up next weekend...don't you?

Absolutely

And anyone who thinks were filling all the holes and can get even solid play from all day one is fooling themselves.

Mahdi
04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Most likely wont get any takers but he out there sound like we will be going DE at 11.

Allen Wilson, of The Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills have floated DE Chris Kelsay's name as a trade possibility, according to a league source.
is there a link to this?

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Again, he didn't get 10 million, he got 13.5 million...your math is way off.

60 million over 6 years. 60 divided by 6 = 10.

I love how people try to make it 13.5 around here. How the Eagles move the money around is up to them.

Your math makes it a 81 million dollar deal. Show me where that's reported

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 02:48 PM

I was referring to Peters. Kelsay nets us nothing.

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
It's exciting watching them give away our talent for trade picks so we can develop them and than not be able to keep them.

The circle of life at OBD.

"Draft em and trade em"!!

The Bills have less than a week to prove to me that there is something other than saving money that they are doing over there.

A trade for Scheffler actually would make me believe that. It would probably happen if Sanchez is sitting there when we come up.

Its been exciting watching one of the most respected posters on here turn into ****.

Dying_-2-_Live
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Its been exciting watching one of the most respected posters on here turn into ****.

Yea, it happens way to often.
What the Hell have we done with peters? nothing
Fletcher? nothing
Clements? nothing

anyone catch on yet?

Buddo
04-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't make that trade at all. As someone asked earlier, the reason why Denver would do that, would be to stop someone else getting ahead of them for a QB.
If that is the case, then we would be in a bidding war on draft day ;)
If Denver wanted to deal, they would have to give us Scheffler, #12 and we would throw them a 'sweetener' back, of maybe a 5th rounder.
Unless of course the 'other' team, came up with something even better. ;)
The Peters trade, due to his contract demands, was not one you could pull on draft day. That trade, is one you could. Similarly with trades for Parrish and Kelsay.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM

If I believed that this team was interested in winning than maintaining the net income of Ralph Wilson than I would post differently. Sadly I see the Bills leaving Buffalo and my life much sooner that I thought.

Moving is looking like a forgone conclusion but I thought they might try and win a chamionship for the fans.

Ralph has had a blessed life but I've watched him make mistake after mistake for 40 years now. He's beaten the fan out of me.

Don't Panic
04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
If Brandon is able to land Shef, Waters and the two 1st turn into, say, Brown and Britton, plus we keep our 2nd, all while unloading Kelsay, I'd name my first son after him. Something tells me not to hold my breath, though.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 04:33 PM
If Brandon is able to land Shef, Waters and the two 1st turn into, say, Brown and Britton, plus we keep our 2nd, all while unloading Kelsay, I'd name my first son after him. Something tells me not to hold my breath, though.

Yes this is the sort of miracle I'm hoping for.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd take the following

TE Scheffler (trade)
DE Everette Brown #18
LT Gerald Cadogan #42
WLB James Laurnaitis #28
LG Pete Kendall FA

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Absolutely

And anyone who thinks were filling all the holes and can get even solid play from all day one is fooling themselves.

And someone who doesn't think any of the holes will be filled is just being ridiculous and complaining to complain.

Tatonka
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM

who respected him?

DrGraves
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
No one will want this bum.

DrGraves
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
BTW Mitchell55 - You are the worst poster and biggest rep whore on Billszone.

Mr. Pink
04-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe we can get a box of kicking tees and a used jockstrap for him.

Wait, he's not even worth that much, nevermind.

psubills62
04-19-2009, 09:17 PM
is there a link to this?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Check a few entries down, or the first entry on the right hand side.

As far as trading Kelsay, I wouldn't be surprised if they liked how Denney played better than Kelsay last year. Denney could take over on the left side, with Schobel/Ellis (hopefully) on the right side. Draft Ayers or Johnson (or someone like that) to backup Denney at LDE, use Spencer Johnson in spot duty there too.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Check a few entries down, or the first entry on the right hand side.

As far as trading Kelsay, I wouldn't be surprised if they liked how Denney played better than Kelsay last year. Denney could take over on the left side, with Schobel/Ellis (hopefully) on the right side. Draft Ayers or Johnson (or someone like that) to backup Denney at LDE, use Spencer Johnson in spot duty there too.
Not a bad idea i will go for that if it happened I thought Denny out played Kelsay by far last year witch isn't saying much.

Mad Max
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM

He has proven himself.

Proven he can't play effectively as an NFL starting DE.

psubills62
04-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Not a bad idea i will go for that if it happened I thought Denny out played Kelsay by far last year witch isn't saying much.

Yeah, I think Denney had the most sacks out of our DE's (not saying much, but obviously better than Kelsay, and probably had less playing time).

I'm also very curious to see what our new DL coach Bob Sanders can do with our DE's. I'm almost wondering if he came here, saw Kelsay's tape and supported a decision to trade him. They also may be simply planning on taking Ayers with the 11th pick (wouldn't surprise me), and just replace Kelsay with Ayers.

raphael120
04-19-2009, 10:35 PM
God, I love this.

Again and again we're proving this front office SUCKS at evaluating players in college and even their own damn players.

Get this.

We sign Kelsay to a huge contract, overpaying the hell out of him. This upsets a washed up and aging Schobel, who in turn gets a huge contract also.

Then we go ahead an sign a RG in Dockery that gets the biggest contract ever given in Bills history, therefore pissing off Peters, who is the only linemen worth his money on the team and who is greatly underpaid.

Yet...now look...we cut Dockery, we just traded a Pro Bowl LT that wanted to be paid his market value, but we snub our noses at him, and are now looking to trade that grossly overpaid Kelsay. Not to mention we are trying to maybe trade the highest paid 4th string WR ever (Parrish)

Marv, you're an awesome coach, but you SUCK TOTAL BALLS when it came to running a football organization.

And people wonder why we're consistantely 7-9.

Owen DeBoard
04-19-2009, 11:30 PM
[quote=raphael120]God, I love this.

Again and again we're proving this front office SUCKS at evaluating players in college and even their own damn players.

Get this.

We sign Kelsay to a huge contract, overpaying the hell out of him. This upsets a washed up and aging Schobel, who in turn gets a huge contract also.

Then we go ahead an sign a RG in Dockery that gets the biggest contract ever given in Bills history, therefore pissing off Peters, who is the only linemen worth his money on the team and who is greatly underpaid.

Yet...now look...we cut Dockery, we just traded a Pro Bowl LT that wanted to be paid his market value, but we snub our noses at him, and are now looking to trade that grossly overpaid Kelsay. Not to mention we are trying to maybe trade the highest paid 4th string WR ever (Parrish)

Marv, you're an awesome coach, but you SUCK TOTAL BALLS when it came to running a football organization.

And people wonder why we're consistantely 7-9.[/quote:goodpost:]:bow:
Best post ive seen in a long time.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I think Denney had the most sacks out of our DE's (not saying much, but obviously better than Kelsay, and probably had less playing time).

I'm also very curious to see what our new DL coach Bob Sanders can do with our DE's. I'm almost wondering if he came here, saw Kelsay's tape and supported a decision to trade him. They also may be simply planning on taking Ayers with the 11th pick (wouldn't surprise me), and just replace Kelsay with Ayers.
Yeah im also exicted to see what Sanders birings to the D-line I would be Cool with Ayers i also Like Brown from FSU would be ok with either as long as we go DE at 11

Throne Logic
04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
And someone who doesn't think any of the holes will be filled is just being ridiculous and complaining to complain.

Please note that "filling the holes" can be accomplished with many different substances.

For instance, for the past number of years, the Bills have been filling all those holes with crap.