PDA

View Full Version : 25: Who will be the starting TE?

madness
06-29-2009, 11:58 AM
25: Who will be the starting TE?

Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
Posted Jun 29, 2009

Every summer leading up to training camp Buffalobills.com asks 25 of the most pressing questions facing the team as they make their final preparations for the upcoming regular season. So with practices at St. John Fisher fast approaching, here is the first installment as we closely examine some of the answers the Buffalo Bills have to come up with between July 25th and Sept. 14th. The tight end position has been one of little fanfare for the Bills over the years when it comes to being a significant factor in the passing attack. There have been blockers and pass catchers, but the starter’s role has rarely been manned by an all-purpose threat. At this point it’s difficult to determine just how good some of the young candidates for the starter’s role might be, but what is certain is youth will be filling the position.
With three-year starter Robert Royal released by the club last spring, the tight end position was left to three young veterans and a rookie.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/25-who-will-be-the-starting-te/ae15e0df-d69e-4f86-bc09-1b7d5037a7fb

Nighthawk
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
It should be Nelson, but with this coaching staff...it will be Schouman.

Mitchell55
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Fine for HB when we use it and Nelsen for TE and spread TE

madness
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM

I actually like how they're handling Nelson up to this point. The guy really needs to step up his blocking before he can get on the field as a TE. His strength in college was lining up wide to create mismatches and that's how they are going to use him until he improves his overall skills.

Mahdi
06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I actually like how they're handling Nelson up to this point. The guy really needs to step up his blocking before he can get on the field as a TE. His strength in college was lining up wide to create mismatches and that's how they are going to use him until he improves his overall skills.
Exactly.

If they want to take advantage of his skills right away then lining him up at TE may not be the best way.

Getting him acclimated with the routes however will allow them to use him as a 3rd or 4th WR with speed and size and great hands.

Yasgur's Farm
06-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Schouman is the closest thing we have to an all purpose tight end... So he'll be the starter at the beginning of the season... With plenty of Fine and Nelson sprinkled in.

I could see Fine overtaking Schou at some point... Ultimately the depth chart will read Fine, Nelson, Schou by the end of '09.

Mr. Pink
06-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Schouman will start the year unless Nelson lights up TC and preseason.

Night Train
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I think it will be Ruben Gant

Scumbag College
06-29-2009, 07:02 PM
No TEs. The Bills are bringing back the Run and Shoot.

OpIv37
06-29-2009, 07:05 PM
a whole stable of TE's, all equally unproven. Once again, we lead the league in "potential."

FlyingDutchman
06-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey thats great Op. Anyways. I think Fine showed some flashes last year and think he could take Schouman for the starting role, and I hope Nelson finishes the season with it.

Philagape
06-29-2009, 07:50 PM
It's like asking which socks I want to buy at Wal-Mart

TigerJ
06-29-2009, 10:04 PM

I pretty much agree with this. Nelson has more upside than any TE the Bills have ever had, but he will be a liability every time he's asked to block. He's shown some potential as a blocker. He just hasn't done enough of it to contribute as such in the NFL. In order to take advantage of his explosiveness as a receiver early, the Bills are working him more as a receiver, and having him line up outside where he did in college. I assume as he demonstrates his confidence and competence as a receiver, they will start working on his blocking more. The risk of this approach is that the Bills will be telegraphing too much to the defense what their intentions are. If Nelson is in the game, the defense will know it's going to be a passing play, unless Schonert deliberate designs some deception into this approach. The Bills could run some out of a spread formation with Nelson in the lineup, for instance.

billogic99
06-29-2009, 10:20 PM

Why should it be?

jimbohastle51
06-29-2009, 11:45 PM
there really is not a ton of talent at this position on our roster. nelson is still an unknown, he came from a smaller d1 school and he has not even been through an NFL training camp yet, schouman always has an injury and does not hold the talents of a starting caliber NFL tight end. our best TE on the roster as of today is fine. he is a decent blocker and runs good routes and catches just about everything thrown to him but we really havnt seen enough of him to know if he is a starting TE or just a compliment one. nelson i dont see ever being more than just a recieving threat at the position. he is never going to be a TE you put in during obvious running situations to block. i just see this position as our weakest among all of the offensive positions. at least if one of our rookie guards are not ready to start we have mckinney who had alot of NFL starts underneath his belt at C and G. at TE none of them have alot of expirience.

kid mickey
06-29-2009, 11:50 PM
For now its Schouman, I'm not thrilled with any of them really. I just want the best guy on the field and I don't think that's Nelson this year. TE remains a relatively weak position for the Buffalo Bills.

jamze132
06-30-2009, 12:17 AM
a whole stable of TE's, all equally unproven. Once again, we lead the league in "potential."
Well Op, you are giving too much credit to our young ones. Let's not forget about the Orchard park chapter of the Mensa society in the draft room.

How is it considered a "steal" for us when 31 other teams look over a guy for 5-6 rounds?

yordad
06-30-2009, 07:19 AM
I think Fine will start the season. And, depending on how well the line holds up, at the midpoint Nelson might not be "starting" but he will get a majority of the snaps.

Seriously, I really don't think any of them are that good at in-line blocking, despite what I have been reading. And, I figure if none are that good, you play the one who can excell the most in other areas, and has just as much potential to block and maybe more.

Nelson is the most physically gifted TE the Bills have ever had. Saying this position has no talent is flat wrong. You can say "no (or little) production", but I don't think you can say "no talent" at this point. It has serious "potential".

yordad
06-30-2009, 07:27 AM
OK, after reading Trents comments about Schouman, I guess he is the front runner. Seems he would know best.

bflobarry
06-30-2009, 07:29 AM
I think Fine gets the start. A lot of people seem to forget that Nelson was a low round draft choice, and he's missed work already. He may be good up the road, but he won't start. I liked what I was of Fine last year, particularly in the OP Jets game. Good hustle, stretching for first downs, etc...