PDA

View Full Version : Observations on Bills vs Bears game

mysticsoto
08-15-2009, 10:37 PM
A much improved Bills team I thought. I'm sure the negative nancys out there can find something negative to focus solely on and criticize, but overall I thought play was outstanding. Here are some observations of mine:

- Trent has latched on to the No-huddle well. My only little criticism is that he be able to get up to the line quicker to catch opponents trying to change/substitute. I absolutely love when Peyton catches others and gets a free 5 yds out of it. It really shows qb smarts to do this. I think they tried to do this at one point. They need to push the pace at times. By the 4th quarter, we can have DTs gasping for breath. Of course, the entire O needs to make sure they are in top shape!

- On that same note, I was impressed with Fitzpatrick's no-huddle play also. I feel so much better now having him as #2 than I did with Hamdan.

- On Hamdan, I'm not sure if the interception he threw was his fault or his receiver (the TV analysts seem to think it was the receiver's fault), but if it wasn't his fault, he needs to get in his receiver's face about it (TE Travis McCall ?). He was made to look bad and I seriously wonder if they should be giving QB Matt Baker more time?

- By the 3rd quarter, I was going to post something to the effect of what does everyone think of keeping both Omon and Hall and getting rid of our FB McIntyre. Then in the 4th qtr, Corey begins pushing piles back and running well with the ball. Geez, I hate to get rid of Hall b'cse he seems like a good prospect, and yet, we just can't get rid of anyone else and we absolutely cannot carry 5 RBs. He actually might qualify to keep in the PS again...I guess this is a good problem to have though.

- TE Jonathan Stupar was actually playing well as were all our TEs. It's about time our TEs started to play better. And I was absolutely impressed with Shawn Nelson's call as WR and going up to endzone and blowing away his defender. He made it look really easy too. I really relish the thought of having TO, Evans, Hardy and Nelson...even Steve Johnson - on Endzone plays...Trent should be able to throw a jump ball to any of them and have them come down with it!!!

- The Oline overall looked solid. I can't believe that they are performing this well this quickly. I look forward to continue watching them in the next game to make sure this wasn't just a 1-game fluke, but I am very surprised that they are playing this well already!

- On defense, the run D looks much better than last year. Chris Ellis is showing some signs of improvement and I actually liked Copeland Bryan's plays also. He attacked hard and on his strip - he actually went for that rather than going for a sack to make himself look good! Is Chris Ellis really 261 lbs like buffalobills.com says? He looked remarkably fit and thin. If he is, I think that's fantastic!

- I think it's great that we have some fantastic CBs on our roster. And we
won't have to break the bank to keep McGee...in fact, he will likely not be missed at all with the level of talent we have.

- Nic Harris looked really good.

I don't have many negatives from this game:

- One thing I didn't like is that the Bills D doesn't seem to be playing TEs very well. Last game and this game, the TEs seem to be able to catch whenever they were thrown. I don't want to read too much into this - vanilla defense and all, but still...we seem vulnerable to TE attacks.

- Walker played well, but as I said in another post he was beat in one play that ended up costing Trent a sack - though I think they technically blamed the sack on Levitre. I really want Walker to lose 20 lbs. He has alot of mass and should be able to do it.

- The Oline could still run block better and open up wider holes, but my guess is this will be an ongoing improvement.

- This was against a 4-3 defense. Can they perform just as good with a 3-4 ?

- I thought Ko Simpson played poorly. I really hope we get better depth behind our starters. Between him, Wilson and Wendling, I'm not really happy at having any one of them in there.

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Chris Ellis looked like a DE tonight

mysticsoto
08-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Chris Ellis looked like a DE tonight

That's important b'cse I don't think we'll see much of Maybin this year. He's way behind and his catching up will take time. We could use somebody stepping up and sitting Kelsay down!!!

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:22 PM
I agree on you assessment on Fitzie... I am a lot less worried after seeing his performance tonight

Stupar was stupendous, and even Nelson looked decent, but Fine is the starter... Fine was a very underrated pick up by so many, but I've been on the FIne train since he started getting playing time last season.

I think keeping McIntyre as the 4th back would be smart. He punishes when he runs an moves the pile well. I would like to see more of him though...

Hard ot watch the OL thats what tivo is for... But were not terrible

mysticsoto
08-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I agree on you assessment on Fitzie... I am a lot less worried after seeing his performance tonight

Stupar was stupendous, and even Nelson looked decent, but Fine is the starter... Fine was a very underrated pick up by so many, but I've been on the FIne train since he started getting playing time last season.

I think keeping McIntyre as the 4th back would be smart. He punishes when he runs an moves the pile well. I would like to see more of him though...

Hard ot watch the OL thats what tivo is for... But were not terrible

You think Fine is chosen over Schouman? Last I saw, Schouman was considered the #1 TE and Fine was behind him...I suspect after this year, Nelson may pass them both though!

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:46 PM
You think Fine is chosen over Schouman? Last I saw, Schouman was considered the #1 TE and Fine was behind him...I suspect after this year, Nelson may pass them both though!

yeah I think Fine gets the nod when the season starts... but I reserve the right to be wrong...

Fine has been solid whenever he gets an opportunity IMO

mysticsoto
08-15-2009, 11:53 PM
yeah I think Fine gets the nod when the season starts... but I reserve the right to be wrong...

Fine has been solid whenever he gets an opportunity IMO

They are both short and Schouman is too light (Schouman 6'2 - 223 lbs, Fine 6'3 - 247). Nelson is more the prototypical TE at 6'5, 240 lbs (which he'll likely get bigger) and has superb hands...I don't think it'll take him long to overtake them regardless of which one starts.

ddaryl
08-15-2009, 11:59 PM
but Fine just looks solid all a round TE out there to me.. but then again I haven't studied him or any of the TE's that in depth or exclusively. Just looking for players to make plays. Fine was making somer nice grabs last season for th elimited time they played him. I beleive last week he had a few catches...

I have the game Tivo I thin I wil pay some attention to TE bokcing and OL blocking

Michael82
08-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Didn't I tell you guys about both Chris Ellis and Ellis Lankster? They were my training camp sleepers. Honestly, I would be shocked if they both didn't push for lots of playing time this year. I see Ellis pushing Denney for the 3rd DE spot. I also see Lankster getting lots of special teams reps, but sliding up to dime defense by the middle of the season. I'm calling it right now.... Drayton Florence gets cut after Training Camp. Your 5 CBs are....

Terrence McGee, Leodis McKelvin, Reggie Corner, Ashton Youboty, Ellis Lankster. Cary Harris will be stashed on the practice squad.

ddaryl
08-16-2009, 12:17 AM
When Ellis beat the LT on the outside edge he caught my attention. I haven't see a Bills DE do that in a long time.

Hopefully Maybin shows that kind of abilty when he gets in here...

BillsWin
08-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Harris should start. Ive said it since we drafted him. Smart, HARD HITTER, studious player and quick learner. Great instinct. Knows where the ball is. Loved him at OU, love him as a Bill.

Michael82
08-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Harris should start. Ive said it since we drafted him. Smart, HARD HITTER, studious player and quick learner. Great instinct. Knows where the ball is. Loved him at OU, love him as a Bill.
Agreed. He's definitely another guy that has impressed me at camp.

Is it me or is our new/old scout that we brought back already paying off big time? The 2009 draft may easily be the best one we have had in years!

BillsWin
08-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Agreed. He's definitely another guy that has impressed me at camp.

Is it me or is our new/old scout that we brought back already paying off big time? The 2009 draft may easily be the best one we have had in years!

Buddy Nix. Love him. but I doubt he had much say in this draft, he came on late in the recruiting process. I bet he had SOME say, but not as much as he will next season when he actually has been out on campuses and talked with the actual players.

Dujek
08-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Quick thoughts on the game:

First team defense looks excellent against the run, though they still seemed to have problems getting to the QB. The secondary looks good, and Poz was flying to the ball, exemplified by the fact that he was there first on the Cutler to Hester completion.

First team offense - the skill positions look more than solid, Edwards looks sharp, Lynch and Jackson ran well, and the receivers looked sharp on their routes, big improvement over the one series last week. The line still needs work, but we're going to have to live with the fact that the rookies will make rookie mistakes. At times though the middle of the line looked downright nasty, and I think Hangartner, Levitre and Wood can be a big improvement once they get used to playing together. Langston Walker needs to sharpen up, he moved inside to pick up guys that the interior linemen had already covered on two plays allowing guys from the outside to get clear runs at Edwards.

Others: Reggie Corner dropped an INT that hit him right between the numbers, but other than that looked excellent. Nic Harris completely blew his coverage on the long play to the TE, but after that he did brilliantly getting in the passing lanes and absolutely blowing up running plays. The guy hits hard, and knows how to get his hands on passes. Fitz was better than last week, though it would have been hard to be worse and he looked comfortable in the no-huddle offense. Hamdan's INT was poor, though the receiver has to take at least half the blame on that, the pass for Nelson's TD was executed perfectly. Lankster looks good.

As for Special Teams - let Parrish field punts. Everyone else seems to suck at it.

Jan Reimers
08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Ko Simpson looks like his immediate future may include the fast food business.

Night Train
08-16-2009, 07:47 AM
All good observations - I'll add and repeat a few..

1. Nic Harris & Spencer Johnson should be starting over Ellison & Williams. Harris will make his mistakes but just flys to the ball. Johnson keeps showing he can get off blocks, slicing through to make plays that Williams never can.

2. Fitzpatrick - Where did THAT come from ? His slant passes were right on all night and he doesn't hold the ball. Very decisive and confident.

3. Is Rhodes on the bubble ? History shows when skill players are sent back to return kics, it's an indicator that they may have lost their backup spot and returns are their last chance. Lynch,Jackson & now Omon, spelling a short stay for Rhodes ? JMO. Anyone else see the parallel with former RB Anthony Thomas ?

4. Roscoe is being showcased. I doubt we'll see him here opening day. There is no room for him at WR (Evans,Owens,Reed,Johnson,Hardy, Jenkins for ST tackling).

5. Buggs & Bowen aren't bad at all for backup LB's.

6. Do I dare say we are loaded at DB ?(Should be after picking 2-3 a year for the last 10 years).

7. Do we actually have depth at TE ? Stuper would never sneak through waivers for the practice squad after all his catches the last 2 weeks.

8. Schobel & Kelsay look like they're stuck in mud. We'll probably sign Maybin this week and boy, do we need him. OT & DE are our priorities next off-season.

9. Put Bell at LT and kick Walker back to RT. Bell shows the great feet to slide and keep his man engaged. He'll make his boners but Edwards only got sacked on a CB blitz off the end. Otherwise, he's getting rid of the ball fast. Get swinging door Brad Butler off the field.

10. Jauron running into the line on 3rd & long, setting up for a FG. This will eventually get him fired. He's just gutless.

Jan Reimers
08-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Great comments, NT. I agree with almost all of them, and in regard to number 10, I said to my wife, "Look at that timid little ******, he won't even try to put one in the end zone. What a ******.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 08:38 AM
I agree NT...I would give Bell a try at LT and see how he does. They may be concerned with confusing him since they want him to excel at RT right now though.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 08:41 AM

In the depth chart of buffalobills.com, he's already passed Corto, and considering the way Ellison has played, I think Harris will be starting for us by game 1.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Oh, one more thing, NT...I'd love to get something for Roscoe, but who needs a tiny sub avg WR with excellent punt return skills?

Marvelous
08-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Great breakdown Mystic!

-You mind if i stereotype you? I'm gonna assume that you we're very PRO-draft a TE & have been for years now. My assumption on that is because you have no interest in seeing Schouman or Fine groom into a starter, but send all loyalties over to Rookie Nelson because he has "draft/college HYPE.. Schouman & Fin eboth impressed me last season late.
--Nelson hardly has upside over either of them just because he's a rookie.. Kevin Everett was a high drfat pick too(3RD) & The U. Didn't mean jack in the end. Prior to his his injury he was a major dissapointment..
---Fred Jackson & Lynch together means we are a in position to run alot & w/ T.O & Evans, IMO we are more in need of a TE who can also block...
(Between me & fenceposty though. I made Nelson my starter in Madden! :D

Michael82
08-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I agree NT...I would give Bell a try at LT and see how he does. They may be concerned with confusing him since they want him to excel at RT right now though.
Not true...he's already getting a lot of practice reps at backup LT. That's their long term plan, I guarantee.

Dujek
08-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh, one more thing, NT...I'd love to get something for Roscoe, but who needs a tiny sub avg WR with excellent punt return skills?

Not sure, but I think the Patriots took a guy that fits that description from the Dolphins a couple of years ago and he did OK.

There's a possibility that it's poor play calling that isn't getting Parrish involved more in the offense, I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but when you see him running back an electrifying punt return you have to think that if we just got the ball into his hands more often he could cause serious damage to the opposition.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Great breakdown Mystic!

-You mind if i stereotype you? I'm gonna assume that you we're very PRO-draft a TE & have been for years now. My assumption on that is because you have no interest in seeing Schouman or Fine groom into a starter, but send all loyalties over to Rookie Nelson because he has "draft/college HYPE.. Schouman & Fin eboth impressed me last season late.
--Nelson hardly has upside over either of them just because he's a rookie.. Kevin Everett was a high drfat pick too(3RD) & The U. Didn't mean jack in the end. Prior to his his injury he was a major dissapointment..
---Fred Jackson & Lynch together means we are a in position to run alot & w/ T.O & Evans, IMO we are more in need of a TE who can also block...
(Between me & fenceposty though. I made Nelson my starter in Madden! :D

I most definitely am NOT a pro draft a TE type guy. In fact, I could not believe the people around here saying we should have drafted Pettigrew in the 1st rd...I would have blown a gasket if that had happened!!!

I just happen to think that we got a steal in Nelson as far down as we did. I graded him as a late 2nd to mid 3rd rd pick, and for us to get him that low was outstanding. I understand he just happened to fall on our lap and am glad the FO made the right call and took him.

Personally I have nothing against Schouman or Fine. I hope they do well. But I just happen to have a higher confidence level on what I think Nelson is capable of and his long term viability.

mysticsoto
08-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Not sure, but I think the Patriots took a guy that fits that description from the Dolphins a couple of years ago and he did OK.

There's a possibility that it's poor play calling that isn't getting Parrish involved more in the offense, I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but when you see him running back an electrifying punt return you have to think that if we just got the ball into his hands more often he could cause serious damage to the opposition.

Personally, I feel Wes Walker is a much better polished receiver over Parrish, but that's just my opinion. I think Parrish has had ample opportunity and always seems to let down in the WR area. In punt returns, he's outstanding though...

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I taped and watched a re-airing of the game on NFLN and was more critical of the plays this time. Here are some things I missed the 1st time around:

- Butler was struggling a bit in the 1st qtr at RT. Finally, toward the end of the 1st qtr, he dug his heels in and started playing better. But initially he was getting tossed around like a rag doll and it was only Trent's quick decisions that were saving him.

- I neglected to give Corey Mace any credit. He played extremely well except for one occasion where he was manhandled.

- As I said in another post, Nic Harris has the instincts for the game. Start him!

- Demetrious Bell struggled at LT against 2nd stringers. He's not ready. :(

- I had missed Lankster calling Ko out on the TD that Ko allowed. That was great!!! And everyone loved Lankster's interceptions, but he also had great coverage (albeit against 3rd stringers, but still).

- Watching both Trent and Fitzpatrick making calls in the no-huddle with such confidence...gave me a quick flashback of Jim Kelly. Sniff...ah, those were the days.

- Toward the end of the 4th qtr, a run play was called where linemen were pulled, but TEs were inside blocking also. Bruce Hall got nothing and actually lost 5 yds b'cse of poor blocking up front. I saw Nelson calling out Stupar on something he wasn't happy with. I love to see that!!! Somebody doesn't do something right, call them out!!!

- Lindell needs to put more air under the ball. We don't have a Steve Tasker jet fuel burning defender to get down that quickly. He gave the Bears STs excellent opportunity to return b'cse his kicks made it down too quickly.

- The more I think about it, the more I wonder if we should keep Omon and Hall and dump Rhodes. Lynch and Jackson are our #1 and #2 no matter what. But Hall showed he can return kicks much better than Rhodes and has some shiftiness to him. I think the next few preseason games should decide this b'cse I'm starting to lean on the side of Hall. Rhodes is a great receiver also, but if he can't contribute in STs then his usefulness will cease once Lynch returns. Lower tiered players need to contribute elsewhere also...

yordad
08-17-2009, 04:53 PM
To be honest, I am not a Hall fan at all. I really cannot see him making this team.

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
To be honest, I am not a Hall fan at all. I really cannot see him making this team.

Atleast based on the last 2 games, Rhodes has done nothing to indicate he deserves being on the team over Hall. Hall certainly returned the ball better than Rhodes did, showed speed and shiftiness while Rhodes reminded me of the A-train...one direction straight forward and that's it...

mayotm
08-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Atleast based on the last 2 games, Rhodes has done nothing to indicate he deserves being on the team over Hall. Hall certainly returned the ball better than Rhodes did, showed speed and shiftiness while Rhodes reminded me of the A-train...one direction straight forward and that's it...They haven't yet used Rhodes at what he's best at. That is as a receiver out of the backfield. Also, Rhodes hasn't played much at all because he's a vet and the Bills know what he can do. I would be shocked if Rhodes didn't make the team.

yordad
08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Atleast based on the last 2 games, Rhodes has done nothing to indicate he deserves being on the team over Hall. Hall certainly returned the ball better than Rhodes did, showed speed and shiftiness while Rhodes reminded me of the A-train...one direction straight forward and that's it...Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Rhodes has no business returning a punt, if that is what you are asking. It is almost like they are keeping Rhodes out because they already know what he is capable of, or something.

He has experience in the no-huddle. He can pick up a blitz. And, he is a proven receiving option out of the backfield.

I likes Rhodes as the 3, and Omon as the prospect. I don't want two prospects backing up Jackson going into game 1-3.

I think the reason they are seeing time in punt returns is because we do not want to risk Parrish there in preseason too much. We all know with Parrish on this roster the coaches want him to return. One might say it is because they are shopping Parrish, and they are looking for his replacement. Well, no thanks. I would have to see a pretty good offer to entertain that, no matter how unhappy Parrish is. I do not want McGee, McKelvin, or Jackson back there becasue they are too good. I do not want Rhodes or Hall back there because, IMO, they are not goo enough.

If they don't want to keep Parrish, they better go a different direction. Byrd, Lankster, or Corner. Let's see what they got.

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
They haven't yet used Rhodes at what he's best at. That is as a receiver out of the backfield. Also, Rhodes hasn't played much at all because he's a vet and the Bills know what he can do. I would be shocked if Rhodes didn't make the team.

But that's my whole point. How much receiving is Rhodes going to see once Lynch gets back? How much play time even? If the Bills want to try and bait someone to give something for Parrish, atleast Hall could contribute by returning punts. Rhodes clearly has shown to be very poor at that. Once Lynch returns, Rhodes is kinda useless...

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Rhodes has no business returning a punt, if that is what you are asking. It is almost like they are keeping Rhodes out because they already know what he is capable of, or something.

He has experience in the no-huddle. He can pick up a blitz. And, he is a proven receiving option out of the backfield.

I likes Rhodes as the 3, and Omon as the prospect. I don't want two prospects backing up Jackson going into game 1-3.

I think the reason they are seeing time in punt returns is because we do not want to risk Parrish there in preseason too much. We all know with Parrish on this roster the coaches want him to return. One might say it is because they are shopping Parrish, and they are looking for his replacement. Well, no thanks. I would have to see a pretty good offer to entertain that, no matter how unhappy Parrish is. I do not want McGee, McKelvin, or Jackson back there becasue they are too good. I do not want Rhodes or Hall back there because, IMO, they are not goo enough.

If they don't want to keep Parrish, they better go a different direction. Byrd, Lankster, or Corner. Let's see what they got.

In all honesty, as cheap as it may seem (it is a business afterall), I'd keep Rhodes until Lynch returns, place Hall in the PS and then dump Rhodes once Lynch returns and pull Hall off the PS...

yordad
08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
In all honesty, as cheap as it may seem (it is a business afterall), I'd keep Rhodes until Lynch returns, place Hall in the PS and then dump Rhodes once Lynch returns and pull Hall off the PS...That might be what they do, but it wouldn't be what I did. You can keep Hall there all year. If we were low in cap room, then yeah. But, as is, I think Wilson is pocketing MILLIONS.

mysticsoto
08-17-2009, 06:22 PM
That might be what they do, but it wouldn't be what I did. You can keep Hall there all year. If we were low in cap room, then yeah. But, as is, I think Wilson is pocketing MILLIONS.

I wouldn't do it for money. I'd do it for usefulness. I thnk both Omon and Hall have grown since last year and I really don't think Rhodes will bring in anything that they can't bring. After the 1st 3 games, Rhodes will be riding the bench like Omon and Hall. Except that Hall can help in STs if needed and can be with the team in the future or even dangled no a trade to another if he continues to improve. And I would seriously look into trading Parrish. I don't really feel like he has a future here.