X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Interesting analysis of Schonert firing

Over at Buffalo Rumblings, Brian Galliford has written an interesting analysis of the firing of Schonert, in essence saying that the "Pop Warner" philosophy is similar to the philosophy employed by the Indianapolis Colts. Peyton Manning explained in a SI interview with Dan Patrick, comparing San Diego with Indianapolis, "San Diego is a diverse offense - they have multiple formations and personnel groups, and they'll shift [a lot]. When it comes down to it, [the Colts are] trying to be good at a certain number of plays, and we're not afraid to run the same play over and over and over again."

Jauron was probably unwise in the timing of his decision, but the argument about whether to go simple or complex is not quite as one sided as some might think. In fact Jauron's main error may have been a failure to delineate the differences between the philosophy he wanted for the Bills and the one Schonert envisioned when Jauron hired him as a replacement for Fairchild.

Former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert called Dick Jauron's ideal offense a "Pop Warner" offense. You know who runs the same philosophical offense? Yep - Peyton Manning.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Interesting analysis of Schonert firing

Brian is a great writer.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

I've been pretty impressed with him.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• T-Long
        Circling the Wagons since 1982.
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
        Over at Buffalo Rumblings, Brian Galliford has written an interesting analysis of the firing of Schonert, in essence saying that the "Pop Warner" philosophy is similar to the philosophy employed by the Indianapolis Colts. Peyton Manning explained in a SI interview with Dan Patrick, comparing San Diego with Indianapolis, "San Diego is a diverse offense - they have multiple formations and personnel groups, and they'll shift [a lot]. When it comes down to it, [the Colts are] trying to be good at a certain number of plays, and we're not afraid to run the same play over and over and over again."

Jauron was probably unwise in the timing of his decision, but the argument about whether to go simple or complex is not quite as one sided as some might think. In fact Jauron's main error may have been a failure to delineate the differences between the philosophy he wanted for the Bills and the one Schonert envisioned when Jauron hired him as a replacement for Fairchild.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009...ills#storyjump
        This was exactly what I was going to bring up when I signed on tonight. I read the Dan Patrick interview with Peyton in SI this week and was just going to say that Peyton loves the fact when the offense is simplified because he doesn't care about running a certain few plays over and over again when they can't stop it. Good stuff.

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

good read!

Comment

• Hemlepp53
            • Jul 2004

Very good read. The move to fire Turk was the right one and Brian is right that the QB is the main one to suffer when the HC and OC have conflicting ideas on how the offense should be ran.

I hope we can turn this season into something. I would love to watch everyone eat crow... if we find sucess
            @Hemlepp53

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Good.. Hope ya guys like him.
              At Buffalo Sports Daily (he's on my staff)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• BillsWin
                man amongst boys
                • Oct 2008

That was a great read. I said this in another thread you gotta crawl before you walk and the Bills should be focusing on the basics and perfect those before they start throwing multiple formations.

Start simple. Keep it up tempo. Lower the mistakes and turnovers. and the weapons on our offense can take care of the rest.

That is where AVP comes in. All he has to do is figure out the plays that Edwards is comfortable with and that our offense can execute and run them. Maybe throw in more aggressive plays, such as those "majestic" long bombs to Owens and Evans that Edwards supposedly threw so well in camp. Schonert wouldn't call them come game day, maybe Van Pelt will.
                Last edited by BillsWin; 09-06-2009, 05:59 PM.
                I am The Batman.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

The best offenses are the simplest ones.

I know Madden comparisons are weak but o well...

When I play online, I run almost every play out of the same formation. 3 WR, 1RB, 1TE... I have 2 run audibles, and 4 passes.

The benefits of that is that I get opponents out of their base defense, I run all 6 plays with precision, and if the opponent takes the play I called away with his defensive look I have a counter to it in my audibles. That makes it very difficult for any opponent to stop you.

I really think the Bills should do something similar to this. We have 3 very good WRs and an OL that would benefit from dealing with one less LB.

I heard that Peyton Manning receives 2 run plays and 1 pass play from Tom Moore in his helmet and then he chooses what he wants to call at the LOS based on the defense. Edwards should be able to do that too.

Either way, let's just find an identity.
                  Last edited by Mahdi; 09-06-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Would you rather be mediocre at a bunch of plays, or really good at a smaller number of plays? I think simplifying things makes sense.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                      • Jul 2002

I wish the media would get this right.

We run an ineffective offense, not a Pop Warner offense.

We run a Pop Warner defense.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by TigerJ

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009...ills#storyjump
                        Manning: San Diego is a diverse offense - they have multiple formations and personnel groups, and they'll shift [a lot]. When it comes down to it, [the Colts are] trying to be good at a certain number of plays, and we're not afraid to run the same play over and over and over again. You've got to be careful trying to run 60 different plays in a game and being pretty good at most of them, as opposed to being great at this core group of plays. I certainly don't call all the plays - I just have the flexibility to change them.

There's your answer. It's Manning. They couldn't do what they do without him.
                        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                        Originally Posted by pmoon6
                        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gameboy
                          I wish the media would get this right.

We run an ineffective offense, not a Pop Warner offense.

We run a Pop Warner defense.
                          The media reported that Turk Shoenert said Jauron wanted to run a Pop Warner offense.

Comment

• cocamide
                            • Oct 2006

Football is not rocket science. I think the main reason the Patriots excel is because they stick with what works and they keep it simple. If Moss has a mismatch, then throw the ball to him fifty times if you have to. If the defense hasn't been able to stop your run game, then run the ball every single down.

Last year against the Jets is the perfect example of our coaches out thinking themselves. We were running the ball great and the game was practically over. Instead of handing the ball to Marshawn, we decide to get cute and have JP roll out, and we all know how that ended. My guess is that play was called by Turk, even though Jauron took the fall for it. We have great offensive weapons that don't get utilized like they should. (BTW, I couldn't believe that we actually used Nelson intelligently by lining him out wide this preseason. Let's see more of that!)

Anyone remember the quick slant to Roscoe against the Jets a few years ago where he took it to the house? I think it got called back for a holding, but the play worked, and I never saw them run a quick slant to 'Scoe again. Instead he gets hitches and screen passes, but nothing where he's catching the ball on the run.
                            Last edited by cocamide; 09-07-2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

Schonert told a Buffalo television station that he was fired Friday because head coach Dick Jauron wanted to run a "Pop Warner" offense with fewer plays and formations. Compared to their AFC East rivals, the Bills look like a Pop Warner team. Buffalo should never have tried exhuming its famed K-gun offense with an unstable offensive line and relatively inexperienced quarterback in Trent Edwards (23 NFL starts). Unless the unit starts showing the capability to chew clock with sustained drives, the trickle-down effect of a floundering no-huddle approach on an already average defense will be devastating.

According to ESPN, Bills owner Ralph Wilson held an emergency meeting this weekend with Jauron and other select coaches and front-office executives. The next gathering may include pink slips.

Comment

Working...
                              X