PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, not much going on tonight, so I just read this post on PFT and Brandon Stokely said that Peyton Manning will go down as the best QB of all time.

I just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it. I've been watching football religiously since 1988 and I can say with a great deal of confidence that he's the best I've seen since then. Obviously I was a huge Jim Kelly fan. They have a lot of the same qualities as they called their own plays at the line of scrimmage. Difference is, honestly Jim had more weapons and a great running back the entire time.

The guy amazes me. Never missed a game, and that includes a year in which he broke his jaw. He's never had a big physical receiver, just fast skilled, good hands. But he puts it there, all the time.

So, for those of you that are older, is he the best ever to the play the game? If not, who was better?

SquishDaFish
12-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I already think he is one of the greatest of all time along with Joe Montana.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-11-2009, 09:25 PM
The greatest QB all time.

LT is the greatest player all time

Block "O"
12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
He is because he is like having a coach on the field. LT was great but a bonehead and was thinking about his next score of coke more than football. Manning's a no-brainer.

PECKERWOOD
12-11-2009, 10:18 PM
He is in the same category as Dan Marino, but the greatest of all time? Not so sure about that, still think Brady, Montana & Aikman were bigger winners. Some quarterbacks don't have rocket arms, high profile statistics or all the hype surrounding them, but I think being a winner is the most important thing. Manning needs another Super Bowl win before he can go down as "the greatest" but even then I'd rather see him as the focal point in an Indianapolis dynasty before he is crowned.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 10:32 PM
He is in the same category as Dan Marino, but the greatest of all time? Not so sure about that, still think Brady, Montana & Aikman were bigger winners. Some quarterbacks don't have rocket arms, high profile statistics or all the hype surrounding them, but I think being a winner is the most important thing. Manning needs another Super Bowl win before he can go down as "the greatest" but even then I'd rather see him as the focal point in an Indianapolis dynasty before he is crowned.

Well, heres the thing. Brady has more Super Bowl wins and an undefeated season into the Super Bowl, but look now, obviously he hasn't quite returned to form since his injury, and the Patriots appear to be leveling out with the rest of the league.

Year in and year out people are ready to turn the page on the Colts, but Manning continues to keep them winning.

And, he's still going strong. He's on a team thats unbeaten and he has as much a chance of going 19-0 as Brady did. He's never missed a game, he could play for 10 more years.

I honestly don't see what the big deal about Marino was. Sure he had a strong arm, and one great season. He couldn't win in the post season pretty much at all.

Boomstick
12-12-2009, 01:40 AM

He may not be as big a winner as those 3 you've mentioned but with at least 2 of those names (Montana, Aikman), they just plain had a heap of talent around them when they were winning. But with Manning, he keeps the Colts relevant every single year, last year it seemed it was just by himself.

But all in all, great observation

Griff
12-12-2009, 02:28 AM
He easily could take the mantle of the greatest QB. He has some pretty good competition; Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Brady, Unitas, but I have never seen anybody manage an offense like he does.

Ingtar33
12-12-2009, 02:45 AM
considering that he thrown for more then 4000 yards every year but two (he only threw for 3,685 yards his rookie year and 3,747 in 2005) and he's never had a year with LESS then 25TD passes (his rookie year).

he's been unbelievable for his whole career.

his worst seasons are career years for hall of fame QBs.

example...

Troy Aikman's best season was 3445 yards passing... and the most TDs he threw in a year were 23 TDs

Jim Kelly's best season was just 3,844 yards and 33 TDs... not a single year he had (other then that one) matched Payton's worst years.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Come on, lets be serious Lawrence Taylor was a beast that the NFL has never scene sine he left.

airdog32
12-12-2009, 03:59 AM
best ever? He is the best of this genertation but to class him as the best ever I dont think so, He is among the top 5 just winning SB does not mean your the best!!!! I think Marino is the best ever skills wise just never had the team to back it up!!! Alot of old school guys come to mind Johnny u , Bradshaw, Bart starr These guys were winners when the passing game was not as prolific as it is today. My Top 5 all time
Marino
Montanna
Fouts
Manning
Bradshaw

YardRat
12-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Manning might not even be the best QB of his generation. Stats are nice for passers, but winning is what defines a QB.

Griff
12-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Manning might not even be the best QB of his generation. Stats are nice for passers, but winning is what defines a QB.

outside of the post season few QBs have even come close to matching his ability to win games. Just look at his comebacks against Tampa and this year against New England.

SquishDaFish
12-12-2009, 06:20 AM

He is like having a coach on the field. None of those other QBs were that. And Super Bowls are a TEAM goal. He or any QB are not SOLE responsible for a championship.

SquishDaFish
12-12-2009, 06:23 AM

Thats all he does for his teams is get them to win. Wins and Losses are a team thing anyway. He contributes pos towards wins. Does everything he can. Never misses a game for anything and his team wins every year even when he loses his weapons.

Dozerdog
12-12-2009, 06:30 AM
I'd put him in my top 5-6 of all time

In no particular order-

Otto Graham- He's the Bill Russell of QBs. 10 Championship games in 10 seasons
Johnny Unitas-
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Elway
And this is just a personal favorite- Bret Favre

SquishDaFish
12-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Good list Dozer and I agree with Favre

ddaryl
12-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Peyton manning > Dan Marino

I would say that Peyton has the strongest argument for best QB ever. His consistency for producing is unmatched

winning defines a team in general not necessarily a QB's play overall IMO.

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Peyton manning > Dan Marino

I would say that Peyton has the strongest argument for best QB ever. His consistency for producing is unmatched

winning defines a team in general not necessarily a QB's play overall IMO.

Well here's my thing. What team could least afford to miss their QB?

Brady was out and went 11-5 last year. Obviously that was a good TEAM, an outstanding defense, and an outstanding coach. (plus they cheated)

I'm sorry but if Peyton got hurt in week 1 I don't think the Colts would win 3 games. Obviously they have no QB depth, but regardless, I just can't remember a guy meaning more to his team than this guy.

He's only had one championship, but he always makes the playoffs. (one championship is still more than most including kelly and marino) it wouldn't shock me to see him get a ring this year and at least once more before he's done. it wouldn't shock me to see him play 8-10 more years.

The difference between Peyton and Favre, to me, is Peyton won't touch Favre's INT record.

Syderick
12-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Come on, lets be serious Lawrence Taylor was a beast that the NFL has never scene sine he left.

Jim Brown

Luisito23
12-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I would take Manning over every single player in the history of football, and it's not even close.

ddaryl
12-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Well here's my thing. What team could least afford to miss their QB?

Brady was out and went 11-5 last year. Obviously that was a good TEAM, an outstanding defense, and an outstanding coach. (plus they cheated)

I'm sorry but if Peyton got hurt in week 1 I don't think the Colts would win 3 games. Obviously they have no QB depth, but regardless, I just can't remember a guy meaning more to his team than this guy.

He's only had one championship, but he always makes the playoffs. (one championship is still more than most including kelly and marino) it wouldn't shock me to see him get a ring this year and at least once more before he's done. it wouldn't shock me to see him play 8-10 more years.

The difference between Peyton and Favre, to me, is Peyton won't touch Favre's INT record.

I agree. Peyton by far is the cog in the wheel that keeps the colts in contention year after year.. Well Peyton and Bill Polian...

But Peyton consistently puts up amazing numbers and has almost always had winning records in this league as a QB

yordad
12-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Winning + Superbowls = teams stats

Manning = Best QB ever, already

If you think for one second Manning is the reason the Colts haven't won at least half on the last 10 SBs, then you are mistaken. I mean, didn't they have the leagues worse D the year they did win?

I firmly believe SB wins accounts entirely way too much when assessing an individual player.

yordad
12-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I would take Manning over every single player in the history of football, and it's not even close.Me too.

Syderick
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM
He's one of the greatest QB's. It's very tough discussion on who's #1. But he's better then Brady. Peyton reads and calls his own plays, not have someone tell him what the defense is going to do.

SABURZFAN
12-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Manning could easily be the greatest. he's very smart and can read defenses with ease. many arguments can be made for other QB's mentioned in this thread as well. winning Super Bowls doesn't make a QB great because i don't think Terry Bradshaw or Troy Aikman are in my top 10 when it comes to great QB's. that's JMO.

YardRat
12-12-2009, 12:11 PM

In no particular order-

Johnny Unitas-
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Elway

Add Montana to that list and I'm on board.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM

In no particular order-

Johnny Unitas-
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Elway

Favre is definitely a favorite of mine, I had his poster on my wall in 4th-5th grade. :up:

Mr. Pink
12-12-2009, 07:49 PM

In no particular order-

Johnny Unitas-
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Elway

If winning is the "true" measure you're going by to determine best QB ever, no one touches Automatic Otto.

I just dislike that when most people do lists of greatest players ever they tend to forget anything past 20 years ago.

Sammy Baugh, Bob Waterfield, Y.A. Tittle, Bart Starr could easily also make greatest QBs ever lists too.

I personally don't even think Manning is the best QB in the NFL today and honestly wouldn't put him in the top 10 QBs of all time.

No particular order...

Graham, Elway, Montana, Brady, Starr, Tarkenton, Baugh, Waterfield, Staubach, Bradshaw.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2009, 07:52 PM
You have to take into consideration the time periods in which these players played in. For example, Marino and Manning have similar statistics, yet Marino played in an era where defenses weren't handcuffed like they are now. It's hard to really compare guys like Otto and Baugh to other greats because the game was so much different, and I didn't witness any of it.

Joe Fo Sho
12-12-2009, 08:02 PM
If winning is the "true" measure you're going by to determine best QB ever, no one touches Automatic Otto.

I just dislike that when most people do lists of greatest players ever they tend to forget anything past 20 years ago.

Sammy Baugh, Bob Waterfield, Y.A. Tittle, Bart Starr could easily also make greatest QBs ever lists too.

I personally don't even think Manning is the best QB in the NFL today and honestly wouldn't put him in the top 10 QBs of all time.

No particular order...

Graham, Elway, Montana, Brady, Starr, Tarkenton, Baugh, Waterfield, Staubach, Bradshaw.

Brady is a cheater.

Jeff1220
12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
He has the stats, a SB victory, and has done it all with different personnel and has carried his team most of the way. He has a team that is currently 12-0, and really shows no signs of slowing down. You might be able to argue a case for someone else, but it would definitely be difficult to make an argument against Peyton.

Beastie Bills
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
considering that he thrown for more then 4000 yards every year but two (he only threw for 3,685 yards his rookie year and 3,747 in 2005) and he's never had a year with LESS then 25TD passes (his rookie year).

he's been unbelievable for his whole career.

his worst seasons are career years for hall of fame QBs.

example...

Troy Aikman's best season was 3445 yards passing... and the most TDs he threw in a year were 23 TDs

Jim Kelly's best season was just 3,844 yards and 33 TDs... not a single year he had (other then that one) matched Payton's worst years.

Great post.

Beastie Bills
12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
He's one of the greatest QB's. It's very tough discussion on who's #1. But he's better then Brady. Peyton reads and calls his own plays, not have someone tell him what the defense is going to do.

Another great post.

BillsPride12
12-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I agree Peyton is the greatest football player of all-time although I'm thinking of a different one...Walter Payton. First of all I don't think you can compare players of different positions when talking about the greatest football player of all-time its like comparing apples to oranges and I do think you can make a very strong case for Peyton Manning as the greatest Qb of all-time. But if I did have to chose only one guy as the greatest of all-time I'm going with my man Walter. He could do so many things and was IMO the most versatile player of all-time. He was one of those running backs who could not only run the ball exceptionally but run pass patterns and had great receiving ability, he could block like a fullback, he could even throw the ball. He could return kicks, I bet you could've even played him at LB and he woulda racked up tackles. He played the game relentlessly and to me he epitomized what an all-around football player should be.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Peyton Manning... Is likely the best QB that will ever step foot on a football field

Owen DeBoard
12-13-2009, 09:14 AM

No particular order...

Wow i cant believe you can even say that Brady is a better QB than Manning. When Brady went down last year Cassel came in and they still had a winning record. What is Cassel doing this year? Can you say system QB? The Pats aint playing good this year because they dont have a defense like they have had in the past 8-10 years not because of Brady getting injured. Ive watched Brady overthrow wide open WRs all year when they get down the field. I very rarely have seen Peyton overthrow a wide open WR. The best QBs can make any throw on the field not just a simple screen pass to Wes Welker. IMO the best QBs in the league right now are Peyton Drew Brees and Brett Farve.

Dozerdog
12-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Manning could easily be the greatest. he's very smart and can read defenses with ease. many arguments can be made for other QB's mentioned in this thread as well. winning Super Bowls doesn't make a QB great because i don't think Terry Bradshaw or Troy Aikman are in my top 10 when it comes to great QB's. that's JMO.
....or Mark Rypien, or Trent Dilfer, or Doug Williams,

SquishDaFish
12-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Hmmm hes proving it some more today