PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton isn't buying that Cowher is interested in the Bills

BillsWin
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.wgrz.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=73187&provider=gnews

I really don't like this guy as many of you posters already know and this just shows he is a pompous ass. I trust Sal over him when it comes to BILLS news.

clumping platelets
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Clayton is a tool

Demon
12-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Reality strike.

jdbillsfan
12-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I am not buying it either, but it doesn't sound like he actually knows anything different than any of us know. Just speculation.

Demon
12-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah, Clayton is a goofy mofo. And i've never been on the Cowher wagon, but.... Jim Haslett?? He better be kidding.

YardRat
12-30-2009, 08:53 PM
He is a big-time douche, but I can't blame him for being skeptical.

It would be pretty cool, though, to have all the stars align so that Sal could stick this one up Clayton's ass.

tampabay25690
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Scary thing is he knows his SH**

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Yep, anybody who disagrees with any Bills related pipe dream is a douche bag.

This all makes my lmfao. We all want the Bills to win. Clinging to some BS pipe dream isn't going to make it come true any time sooner.

It was report of a rumor of an unconfirmed conversation. Which is nothing.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:13 PM

This all makes my lmfao. We all want the Bills to win. Clinging to some BS pipe dream isn't going to make it come true any time sooner.

I honestly think your intention on being here isnt to talk Bills football but to intentionaly try to get under people's skin.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:14 PM
He is a big-time douche, but I can't blame him for being skeptical.

It would be pretty cool, though, to have all the stars align so that Sal could stick this one up Clayton's ass.
While I agree and would love it too, remember that Sal didnt report that Cowher was goign to be our coach.

He said that Cowher was "impressed" by the Buffalo Bills and that they would be of interest to him, which is pretty standard.

Nighthawk
12-30-2009, 09:18 PM
I have no doubt that Cowher coming to Buffalo is a longshot, but Clayton has zero clue on what or how the Bills fans view potential candidates. I remember last year him stating that Jauron was well liked by the fans of Buffalo, so he wouldn't be fired. Ummm, OK...Clayton is not as bad as everybody makes him out to be, but he is clueless when it comes to the Bills.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I think part of the excitement, or problem is that 99.9 percent of us feel there is ZERO chance on Cowher, so to get any kind of report about him linked to the BIlls at all is going to send people into overdrive.

Regardless, can you imagine if he did come here, he'd be a rock star in Buffalo

Nighthawk
12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
He would be the most popular person in Buffalo...hands down.

Demon
12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I honestly think your intention on being here isnt to talk Bills football but to intentionaly try to get under people's skin.

Maybe, i don't know because i don't know him good enough but on this subject, i would doubt it. Just because he doesn't buy into the rumor doesn't mean he's any less of a fan. People love to bash "media" types who "crush" our dreams. Nobody knows if our dreams were even real.

Btw, anyone see this. Not sure if this was posted but Bob DiCesare posted this article late last night, while we were all drulling over the Cowher rumor. Here's his take on ownership and Cowher. Very different then what he heard.

Fast food for thought ...
Uncertainty is partly why no successful former NFL coach wants any part of the Buffalo Bills.
Ralph Wilson is 91. The franchise will go to auction, take on new ownership and likely relocate after his death since there is no other succession plan in place, at least none that Wilson has made public.
The Bills could end up in Toronto, San Antonio or Los Angeles, but probably not before a legal battle or two and heavy dose of political intervention. It's bound to be a mess beyond the Buffalo Sabres bankruptcy situation.

Link- http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/907799.html

Lexwhat
12-30-2009, 09:22 PM

I don't really understand what your issue is? Sal simply made a comment about Cowher being "open" to a job with the Bills. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

If anything, other people on this board have blown it out of proportion. You can't blame the messengers or news reporters for that.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe, i don't know because i don't know him good enough but on this subject, i would doubt it. Just because he doesn't buy into the rumor doesn't mean he's any less of a fan. People love to bash "media" types who "crush" our dreams. Nobody knows if our dreams were even real.

Btw, anyone see this. Not sure if this was posted but Bob DiCesare posted this article late last night, while we were all drulling over the Cowher rumor. Here's his take on ownership and Cowher. Very different then what he heard.

Link- http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/907799.html

I do not blame ANYONE for being skeptical, frankly I am a little myself, although I do know Sal better than most and the one thing I do know about him is he isnt going to throw **** to the wall and try to make it stick to draw viewers one night to a ustream show on a tuesday night.

If it were anybody else but Sal who reported it, I'd soak it in for about 4 seconds and then laugh and say "whatever"

And as far as Juice, he is constantly getting under people's skin, and it goes past talking football. .OP37 is the most well known debbie down here, perhaps ever, but 100% of his *****es come about the Bills.

Juice is beating the same thing like a dead horse, over and over again.

TrEd FTW
12-30-2009, 09:26 PM
If the Bills so much as interview Haslett, they're more clueless than we thought. And that is scary.

Thurmal
12-30-2009, 09:27 PM
He would be the most popular person in Buffalo...hands down.

Does Tim Anderson still own that pizza joint up there? If so, then Cowher is second only to him.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:27 PM
And 1 last thing.. I dont know why you guys (some of you) dont get it. This is a brand new media out there. Old school news writers with the exception of the few dont have much more inside access than anyone with a blog who is willing to dig and grind to find out facts.

It aint like it used to be. Back in the day, YOU HAD To go to certain channels to get information, usually through a team's PR department directly.

Not anymore, in this twitter and technology age, anyone willing to put in the grind can find out information. .You can find and talk to people directly.

I've interviewed four or five Bills this year, and that was before I ever placed a single phone call into the BIlls media department.

Of course since then things have changed. I generally go the proper channels cause I attend press conferences, practices and some other media stuff, but for the most part, anybody who is aggressive and relentless can get and keep contacts.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:29 PM
And 1 last thing.. I dont know why you guys (some of you) dont get it. This is a brand new media out there. Old school news writers with the exception of the few dont have much more inside access than anyone with a blog who is willing to dig and grind to find out facts.

It aint like it used to be. Back in the day, YOU HAD To go to certain channels to get information, usually through a team's PR department directly.

Not anymore, in this twitter and technology age, anyone willing to put in the grind can find out information. .You can find and talk to people directly.

I've interviewed four or five Bills this year, and that was before I ever placed a single phone call into the BIlls media department.

Of course since then things have changed. I generally go the proper channels cause I attend press conferences, practices and some other media stuff, but for the most part, anybody who is aggressive and relentless can get and keep contacts.

To elaborate on that, my point was that often even writers like Bob Dicasare, who I consider a GREAT writer, doesn't know more or have anymore inside access info than someone like Sal, myself or another lesser known writer, blogger or whatever that knows someone and is willing to put in the legwork.

The exceptions are guys like Schefter and Eisen. Those guys are such "stars" that players THEMSELVES will go to THEM to give them scoops and confidential info.

trapezeus
12-30-2009, 09:39 PM
that was fun to listen to the nerdiest man on earth talk down to buffalo.

still no one can offer why buffalo isn't a good fit for people. if ralph is stepping aside, offering money and giving you a blank sheet to work with, why not come here.

clayton puts up the counterpoint and it's fair. but his tone was irritating as ****.

let's just see how this all shakes out in a week. i really hope we get what we deserve and don't have to settle one more time.

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 09:41 PM

No, actually, you netsleuths man love for eachother and 100's of posts is what's annoying to me. Dudes on web cams and guys with month old web sites reporting a rumor of a potential conversation between the Bills and a coach. NFL SENIOR WRITING ON ESPN says its BS.

Hmmm, Pat Moran and Coach Sal or JOHN FING CLAYTON SENIOR NFL WRITER ON ESPN??!

Its BS. This is all 100% about getting the lemmings to the web sites.

I didn't go to any of em, btw.

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 09:42 PM
that was fun to listen to the nerdiest man on earth talk down to buffalo.

still no one can offer why buffalo isn't a good fit for people. if ralph is stepping aside, offering money and giving you a blank sheet to work with, why not come here.

clayton puts up the counterpoint and it's fair. but his tone was irritating as ****.

let's just see how this all shakes out in a week. i really hope we get what we deserve and don't have to settle one more time.

honestly, who says that ralph is saying this? i know it's "widespread internet fact" but seriously, who is saying it?!

DMBcrew36
12-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, basically, no one knows anything. One person says one thing, another person says the opposite, and then someone else the opposite again. No one knows anything. We're all the in the dark.

The best thing people can do is just forget about this pathetic team and don't worry about it until something worth reporting is reported.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
honestly, who says that ralph is saying this? i know it's "widespread internet fact" but seriously, who is saying it?!

Ralph said it himself, or do you need a bigger source than that?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2009-11-19-ralph-wilson_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Seriously, just stfu already.. Go stake on John Clayton or ADam Schefter's twitter for 10 hours a day if you want "real news"

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, basically, no one knows anything. One person says one thing, another person says the opposite, and then someone else the opposite again. No one knows anything. We're all the in the dark.

The best thing people can do is just forget about this pathetic team and don't worry about it until something worth reporting is reported.

Honestly, you're spot on.

(Though the Cowher thing was worth reporting, IMO)

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
No, actually, you netsleuths man love for eachother and 100's of posts is what's annoying to me. Dudes on web cams and guys with month old web sites reporting a rumor of a potential conversation between the Bills and a coach. NFL SENIOR WRITING ON ESPN says its BS.

Hmmm, Pat Moran and Coach Sal or JOHN FING CLAYTON SENIOR NFL WRITER ON ESPN??!

Its BS. This is all 100% about getting the lemmings to the web sites.

I didn't go to any of em, btw.

If thats your stance, if the Bills even so much as interview Cowher, which is what the report says, that Cowher is impressed with the BIlls and possibly interested (not that he's our next head coach)

WIll you then proceed to simply shut up and realize that NOT ALL LEGIT NEWS is broken by the "BIG NAME WRITERS"

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Ralph said it himself, or do you need a bigger source than that?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2009-11-19-ralph-wilson_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Seriously, just stfu already.. Go stake on John Clayton or ADam Schefter's twitter for 10 hours a day if you want "real news"

all we hear all day is how meddlesome and crappy ralph wilson has been. "50 years of it" everybody says.

where in that does it say he'll give someone control, stay out of the way not meddle? cough up money for free agents? that's what the post i responded to was saying.

if the bills were ever unattractive, for whatever reason, they still are. i'm saying, nothing has changed except we've lost more games. all this BS about some heirs and whatever is exactly that, bs, until its real.

shanahan said he was impressed with the bills too. whoopty doo. he's not signing.

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
If thats your stance, if the Bills even so much as interview Cowher, which is what the report says, that Cowher is impressed with the BIlls and possibly interested (not that he's our next head coach)

WIll you then proceed to simply shut up and realize that NOT ALL LEGIT NEWS is broken by the "BIG NAME WRITERS"

well if cowher had an interview that would be news.

the phone call to set up an interview, maybe. that is not news.

Historian
12-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Clayton is a fish shill.

Ill bet he still wears Dan Marino underoos.

Jeff1220
12-30-2009, 10:08 PM
If Haslett is in the equation at all, it should be as Cowher's new DC, since they worked well together in Pittsburgh before JH got his first head job in N.O.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Id rather Juice was the head coach of the Bills before Haslett

DMBcrew36
12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Honestly, you're spot on.

(Though the Cowher thing was worth reporting, IMO)

Yeah, I mean, only Cowher and his family know where his head is really at, and his mindset could change day-to-day. So depending on who talks to who, and who talks to him, and when they talk to him, things can change. Even he may not even know for sure what he wants at this point.

So for the sake of sanity, I'm not going to worry about any of it until something is concrete.

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I mean, only Cowher and his family know where his head is really at, and his mindset could change day-to-day. So depending on who talks to who, and who talks to him, and when they talk to him, things can change. Even he may not even know for sure what he wants at this point.

So for the sake of sanity, I'm not going to worry about any of it until something is concrete.

think about it. he quit the damn steelers. he had it all set up. mike tomlin, whose botching things up now, won a title off cowhers team.

why would he give that up? why would he quit? he got a QB and he could have made the hall of fame and made a run at it!

he burnt out! and i don't want some burnt out coach! he lost his edge. that next year, the steelers sucked, and he looked like a different guy. he looked like he got laid right before every game, whereas before he looked like he was locked in a room with bottle of whiskey and a box of steroids before the game.

regardless. even if he talked to the bills, until there is an interview that either one of them is willing to admit to, its not news. i still think there is less than .01% chance of him signing here. its carolina or tampa all day.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I've said all along Houston is the perfect job for him.

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I think Houston sticks with Kubiak. Of course they may tell him to axe his d-coordinator and he may fight it so ya never know. He sure turned the offense there on.

If they win this week he's safe, for sure. Plus they had 2 games decided by a field goal miss and another by a goal line fumble. I don't think thats stuff to axe your head coach over.

At their rate of improvement under Kubiak they'll be in the playoffs next year. New coach you risk the old start over.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Houston has been the "sleeper" pick the past few seasons

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Houston has been the "sleeper" pick the past few seasons

I knew the offense would be there this year, but the D still had a way to go. Okoye is finally coming of age, but that isn't a surprise as I'm pretty sure he's still the youngest player ever drafted in the NFL.

One more draft, they keep the O going and keep Shaub healthy. They still were inches away from potentially going 10-6 or 11-5. Plus with their division I think anything can happen year to year. Ask Tennessee.

jimbohastle51
12-30-2009, 11:24 PM
i have a feeling its charlie weis. just because his familiarity with the division, and the fact that we want an elite offensive minded coach. you can pick on weis for whatever you want but no matter what level he has coached in, when he was the O coordinator or head coach the offense of his team wasnt good it was ELITE! that does say something. the same offense at ND that willingham couldnt keep his job with weis turned into a juggernaut, yes the schedule is what it is but you can only play who the powers that be put on it. i would have no problem with weis coaching the Bills. he is ****y and shows emotion as well as is a well known great developer of offensive talent as well as specializes with QB's and he also has some very good close friends that are exellent D coordinators that are currently looking for work. and yes i do believe that if weis got the gig and wilson is willing to do what it takes to win weis could get crennel to come to buffalo with him with a top 5 D coordinator salary and implement his highly successful 3-4. i am all for weis over losers like haslett and fassel as well as gilbright and leslie frazier (which we shouldnt even go the D route, we have tried it and its failed miserably) my other personal choice would be mariucci. it is well known he wants back into coaching and interviewed for the redskins job last year. i hold nothing against him nor do i believe anything that happened in detroit was his fault. millen was a power hungry idiot that drove that freight train into the ground himself. half the reason mucci stepped down after the thanksgiving game his last season in detroit was because he couldnt take millen anymore. but will the 49ers mucci was a very good coach with a very good offensive west coast system that is very QB friendly and turned T.O. and jeff garcia into stars.

PromoTheRobot
12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
If you listen to Clayton critically you notice he only offers an opinion on Cowher. Sal is citing unnamed sources but they are sources nonetheless. Sal is staking his reputation on what the sources say. If you listen to the entire Clayton interview he actually has nothing on the Bills. The guy "thinks" we'll hire Haslett. Why? Did Gazoo speak to Haslett? Did Gazoo speak to Russ Brandon? No. He thinks Haslett will be HC because he played football for the Bills. As Chris Farley once said "La-dee-fricken-da!"

Once again Sal smokes the big boys because he actually talks to people and gets real info. He isn't part of the ESPN echo chamber.

PTR

elltrain22
12-30-2009, 11:57 PM
1/2 of us on this board know more about football than that little nerdy little terd. He's just mad b/c he probably still lives at home w/ his mom, and is still a virgin at the ripe old age of 58. Seriously, have you guys ever watched this guy, and been impressed w/ his thoughts or insights? He's Cpt Obvious all the time, and never tells you anything you hadn't already thought of yourself. He has no inside info, and IMO, he's just like Jason LaCaniamanidiotwhodontknowcrap, in that, he relies on his own speculation, which is worth jack ****in crap!!!

Alls I gotta say is, very, very, soon Buffalo Bills nation will be back!! Bill Cowher IS gonna take this job!!! Yeah, maybe I'm dilusional, and maybe I'm not being realistic, but I just got a feeling that a blue-collar guy like Cowher, and blue-collar city like Buffalo, can't say no to each other. Ralph will woo him w/ lots of money, and then the fans of Buffalo will overwhelm him w/ passion, enough to where he couldn't even say no if he wanted to.

mikemac2001
12-31-2009, 12:20 AM
1/2 of us on this board know more about football than that little nerdy little terd. He's just mad b/c he probably still lives at home w/ his mom, and is still a virgin at the ripe old age of 58. Seriously, have you guys ever watched this guy, and been impressed w/ his thoughts or insights? He's Cpt Obvious all the time, and never tells you anything you hadn't already thought of yourself. He has no inside info, and IMO, he's just like Jason LaCaniamanidiotwhodontknowcrap, in that, he relies on his own speculation, which is worth jack ****in crap!!!

Alls I gotta say is, very, very, soon Buffalo Bills nation will be back!! Bill Cowher IS gonna take this job!!! Yeah, maybe I'm dilusional, and maybe I'm not being realistic, but I just got a feeling that a blue-collar guy like Cowher, and blue-collar city like Buffalo, can't say no to each other. Ralph will woo him w/ lots of money, and then the fans of Buffalo will overwhelm him w/ passion, enough to where he couldn't even say no if he wanted to.

WHat??? hes a ****** duh boooooooooze

Billz_fan
12-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Wow, I wish I could be as positive as some of you about this whole Cowher thing. Honestly though Im not. I don't think he is coming here. Hope Im wrong but...................Just to much history going against it.

SABuffalo786
12-31-2009, 01:18 AM
ESPN ain't ****.

Aliceinchainsbills15
12-31-2009, 02:02 AM
http://www.wgrz.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=73187&provider=gnews

I really don't like this guy as many of you posters already know and this just shows he is a pompous ass. I trust Sal over him when it comes to BILLS news.
John Clayton is a silly wanker lol

YardRat
12-31-2009, 05:41 AM

I don't know exactly who you're referring to here, but some of us do 'get it', and that's why we treat a report from Sal with the same skepticism that we would from an ESPN talking head.

Typ0
12-31-2009, 06:18 AM
I don't know exactly who you're referring to here, but some of us do 'get it', and that's why we treat a report from Sal with the same skepticism that we would from an ESPN talking head.

It's kind of funny someone who claims to be a writer yet doesn't even have full command of the english language claiming it's the media consumers who don't get it.

Novacane
12-31-2009, 07:32 AM
I have about .01% hope that Cowher ends up here but I do believe Sals report. Clayton is just stating his opinion. I can not believe the Bills have any interest in Haslett. Most fans would be irate if they brought in another retread that's done nothing.

Buddo
12-31-2009, 07:35 AM
The thing in all of this that interests me, would be the amount of times Clayton has said something about the Bills, and actually been right. I'm damned if I can remember a single occasion tbh.
If Schefter hadn't moved to ESPN, I'm not sure that they have anyone reporting, other than Tim Graham, who would be worth listening to, when it comes to Bills related stuff.
There aren't many genuine sources of good info for the Bills out there. Vic Carucci is one guy who usually has an idea of what is going on. Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News is another, and there's also the odd other guy from the 'local' newspapers, whose name escapes me. These guys all have 'contacts' within the organisation, and keep their nose to the ground in respect of it.
All in all, the 'mainstream' media, are pretty clueless when it comes to the Bills, and tend to work off of 'sound bites' rather than researched analysis.

ChristopherWalken
12-31-2009, 07:51 AM
When was the last time Clayton broke news that wasn't first reported elsewhere? He's ALWAYS, ALWAYS been 100% speculative. If this was Schefter, than I would have more reason to be skeptical of Sal's source.

ChristopherWalken
12-31-2009, 08:02 AM
I wish Sean Salisbury would just up and kick Clayton's ass already. It's been coming for some time.

mikemac2001
12-31-2009, 08:13 AM
I wish Sean Salisbury would just up and kick Clayton's ass already. It's been coming for some time.

I had to wiki Sean Salisbury totally forgot about him

seems like he has gone down hill

ddaryl
12-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Cowher will be the Bills head coach

or I will make the world pay !!!!!

The Juice Is Loose
12-31-2009, 08:57 AM
If you listen to Clayton critically you notice he only offers an opinion on Cowher. Sal is citing unnamed sources but they are sources nonetheless. Sal is staking his reputation on what the sources say. If you listen to the entire Clayton interview he actually has nothing on the Bills. The guy "thinks" we'll hire Haslett. Why? Did Gazoo speak to Haslett? Did Gazoo speak to Russ Brandon? No. He thinks Haslett will be HC because he played football for the Bills. As Chris Farley once said "La-dee-fricken-da!"

Once again Sal smokes the big boys because he actually talks to people and gets real info. He isn't part of the ESPN echo chamber.

PTR

how can you stake a reputation on heresay? nothing was reported. its 2010. communication is so easy, talking to someone is literally nothing. until there is an interview, there is no story to stake a reputation on. not only that, sal himself wouldn't say that he's signing or negotiating anything. we're in phase 0.01 of signing cowher if what sal said was true.

not only that, but sal's big scoop came from a "cowher person"...how would a "cowher person" know anything about any supposed inheiritance plan? all we ever hear is about how the bills are a top candidate to relocate and the owner has to heir plan. now all of a sudden a cowher person tells an amateur internet media guy about some succession plan? i don't buy it.

not one bit. it's only a story if he were to say "they are negotiating, he's flying to obd right now", cuz he could be proven right or wrong. i can make a report that i got from a reliable source that jim kelly wants to be coach. i didn't report anything. and until jim kelly was interviewed and said yes i want to be the coach, there is no story.

The Juice Is Loose
12-31-2009, 09:00 AM
the fact is, if your writing a biography or doing a "news piece" you list sources.

if you don't list sources, it's called "fiction" or "sci fi"

i would put this in the "fantasy" section at my library.