PDA

View Full Version : As of right now...the Nix hire is more mediocrity.

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Now, that could change depending on how he handles the Modrak/Guy situation and who he hires as a HC. However, the hire in itself smells of Ralph wanting and hiring another guy who is a "puppet". The difference is, this is a football guy and he can sell it to the fans as such. I'm not saying that in a week or two this won't change, but right now this hire is the same old Buffalo Bills at work.

mikemac2001
12-31-2009, 11:33 PM
To be honest listening to him I don't think he would take kindly to the puppet role that's probably why he fought for shotty
which makes me
respect him

a man who will give up his job for a friend or person he repects is good in my books plus look at his history

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Like I said, for this to be any kind of improvement, he has to make the necessary changes that are needed in the next week or so. Then and only then, will we be able to truly say if this was a good hire or not.

CoolBreeze
12-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Isn't kind of difficult to say Modrak and Guy are the problem. It all depends on how it was set up within the organization. Modrak, is basically a part timer. He lives in Jacksonville. From what I have read on this and other message boards, he would offer his opinions on who to draft. It utimately was not his decision on who to draft. That makes a big difference. If it was Dick Jauron and Brandon making the final decision over the advice of Modrak, then that is their fault. Prior to coming to Buffalo, Modrak had a very good track record. It sounds now, Buddy Nix and depending on who the new HC is, the buck will stop there. I would rather have Buddy Nix drafting players than Dick Jauron or Russ Brandon.

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Isn't kind of difficult to say Modrak and Guy are the problem. It all depends on how it was set up within the organization. Modrak, is basically a part timer. He lives in Jacksonville. From what I have read on this and other message boards, he would offer his opinions on who to draft. It utimately was not his decision on who to draft. That makes a big difference. If it was Dick Jauron and Brandon making the final decision over the advice of Modrak, then that is their fault. Prior to coming to Buffalo, Modrak had a very good track record. It sounds now, Buddy Nix and depending on who the new HC is, the buck will stop there. I would rather have Buddy Nix drafting players than Dick Jauron or Russ Brandon.

It never stops at the GM...Ralphy still has his hands all over this team with this hire.

Philagape
12-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Based on his draft record at San Diego, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Based on his draft record at San Diego, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He did not have the final say in those drafts, so just throwing praise on him for those is not accurate. If you're going to do that then you must give him some blame for the Maybin pick this year. I don't know, I have to have more proof that this isn't on the cheap and that this organization truly wants to win. Right now, it seems like the same old thing we've seen for the past 10 years.

TrEd FTW
12-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I think we'll know within a week or two. If Jim Haslett or some other slob along his lines is being intro'd at OBD, it'll be the same old crap.

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 11:52 PM
I think we'll know within a week or two. If Jim Haslett or some other slob along his lines is being intro'd at OBD, it'll be the same old crap.

Agreed...I'm hoping it's going to be different, but I don't know.

Novacane
12-31-2009, 11:54 PM
I was not impressed when I heard it was Nix. I will give him 2 weeks though before I give up and resign myself to another few wasted years. By then we will know if Ralph has hired another puppet. It all depends on the coach Nix hires.

Novacane
12-31-2009, 11:56 PM
If it's Haslett I'm done.

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I was not impressed when I heard it was Nix. I will give him 2 weeks though before I give up and resign myself to another few wasted years. By then we will know if Ralph has hired another puppet. It all depends on the coach Nix hires.

That's exactly how I feel...

BillsWin
01-01-2010, 12:22 AM
I will wait until he hires a coach to pass judgment. But so far, I like his attitude and background.

snow1989
01-01-2010, 12:51 AM
He gets a pass from me until proven otherwise...it will be interesting to see who stays, who goes and who is brought in. Just a matter of sitting back and seeing what happens.

jcdavey
01-01-2010, 07:06 AM
To be honest listening to him I don't think he would take kindly to the puppet role that's probably why he fought for shotty
which makes me
respect him

a man who will give up his job for a friend or person he repects is good in my books plus look at his historyhe didn't give up his job for marty lol he worked with sd till mid 08, marty was fired before the 07 season began

what Nix did was retire because he thought him and marty would get a HC/GM gig in atl, it didn't happen

this quit because of his buddy crap is a nice false story someone is trying to shovel to you people, it's hilarious

Nix was brought in to sd by butler and AJ lol...and people think he's got a problem with AJ

wow people are idiots

Jan Reimers
01-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Nix has over 45 years experience as assistant coach, head coach, scout, director of college scouting, director of pro player personnel, and assistant GM.

I'll take solid experience over Tom Donahoe pizazz any day.

Historian
01-01-2010, 08:50 AM

If that's really the case, shouldn't Brandon be unemployed this morning?

Seriously.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 08:55 AM
He did not have the final say in those drafts, so just throwing praise on him for those is not accurate. If you're going to do that then you must give him some blame for the Maybin pick this year. I don't know, I have to have more proof that this isn't on the cheap and that this organization truly wants to win. Right now, it seems like the same old thing we've seen for the past 10 years.

I assume the title Director of Player Personnel means something, and he was that for what's become a perennial playoff team. Drafting Brees, Tomlinson, Merriman, McNeill, Jackson, Hardwick, Williams etc., signing Gates as a UDFA, WAY outweighs any mistakes he's made.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I assume the title Director of Player Personnel means something, and he was that for what's become a perennial playoff team. Drafting Brees, Tomlinson, Merriman, McNeill, Jackson, Hardwick, Williams etc., signing Gates as a UDFA, WAY outweighs any mistakes he's made.

So then Butler and Smith had nothing to do with that? Come on, I know you want to feel good about this...but really, he wasn't the triggerman. Of course he had some say, but let's not crazy.

YardRat
01-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm OK with the promotion.

'New' and 'outsider' enough to breath some different life into the front office, yet 'old' and 'familiar' enough to have been here before and already has a one-season head start on how things currently work.

Nice compromise, or 'best of both worlds' if you will.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm OK with the promotion.

'New' and 'outsider' enough to breath some different life into the front office, yet 'old' and 'familiar' enough to have been here before and already has a one-season head start on how things currently work.

Nice compromise, or 'best of both worlds' if you will.

My standpoint is that EVERYBODY needs to wait until we see if he actually makes the changes that this organization needs. If he doesn't, this is the same organization that was here for the past 10 years and their is nothing promising about that. We'll know if it was a good hire in the next one to two weeks, after he hires his first HC and he does a review of the personnel department.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 09:29 AM
So then Butler and Smith had nothing to do with that? Come on, I know you want to feel good about this...but really, he wasn't the triggerman. Of course he had some say, but let's not crazy.

Unless you show me that Butler and Smith overruled Nix on any of those picks, it's reasonable to assume that they were his choices. The lower you are on the ladder, the more actual legwork you do. The triggermen make their decisions largely based on info and counsel from the staff I assume they trust. When Butler and AJ left Buffalo, they took Nix with them, so I assume that means they valued him.
Discounting what Nix did for SD is the same as absolving Guy and Modrak for what's happened here. Do you want to do that?
If last week an unnamed director of player personnel for a perennial playoff team was mentioned as a GM candidate, it would have been a popular choice here. But once it's learned that he once worked with Ralph, well that overrides that resume??? That's getting crazy.

YardRat
01-01-2010, 09:37 AM
My standpoint is that EVERYBODY needs to wait until we see if he actually makes the changes that this organization needs. If he doesn't, this is the same organization that was here for the past 10 years and their is nothing promising about that. We'll know if it was a good hire in the next one to two weeks, after he hires his first HC and he does a review of the personnel department.

Apparently I mis-understood the thread title.

I thought comments were regarding 'as of right now', not 'two weeks from now'.

My bad.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Unless you show me that Butler and Smith overruled Nix on any of those picks, it's reasonable to assume that they were his choices. The lower you are on the ladder, the more actual legwork you do. The triggermen make their decisions largely based on info and counsel from the staff I assume they trust. When Butler and AJ left Buffalo, they took Nix with them, so I assume that means they valued him.
Discounting what Nix did for SD is the same as absolving Guy and Modrak for what's happened here. Do you want to do that?
If last week an unnamed director of player personnel for a perennial playoff team was mentioned as a GM candidate, it would have been a popular choice here. But once it's learned that he once worked with Ralph, well that overrides that resume??? That's getting crazy.

Can you prove that he DID make the choices or had a huge hand in it??? Don't get me wrong, I like Nix (go look back at the threads of when he came back last year), but I want to see what he does in the next week or two before getting all crazy in love with him like some of you.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Apparently I mis-understood the thread title.

I thought comments were regarding 'as of right now', not 'two weeks from now'.

My bad.

And as of right now...no changes in the personnel department and no HC yet...it is a mediocre hire. That could change if for some reason this hire was connected to them hiring a Cowher or Schotty because they wanted to work with Nix. IF that happens then this will be a brilliant move. If this is it and we get another average HC, then it's the same old from One Bills Drive.

Historian
01-01-2010, 09:48 AM
I want to see what he does in the next week or two before getting all crazy in love with him like some of you.

Watch us shut out Indy like 35-0. That would be classic Buffalo.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Can you prove that he DID make the choices or had a huge hand in it??? Don't get me wrong, I like Nix (go look back at the threads of when he came back last year), but I want to see what he does in the next week or two before getting all crazy in love with him like some of you.

With someone with his title, the proper assumption is he had a huge hand, and the burden of proof is on showing he didn't.

And what I said was I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Calling that "crazy in love" is HH drama queen flaming.
Benefit of the doubt means there is an aspect of doubt. But I'm going to wait and see. Like you.

DraftBoy
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

I dont understand your point with this thread to be honest. It makes no sense as your setting an arbitrary time table for change that doesnt make any sense, as well as asking people to prove things you know they can't prove, nor that can disprove.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
I dont understand your point with this thread to be honest. It makes no sense as your setting an arbitrary time table for change that doesnt make any sense, as well as asking people to prove things you know they can't prove, nor that can disprove.

The point is, if he doesn't cleanout the football side of things and this is not a pre-cursor to bringing in a top-notch HC, then absolutely nothing has changed with this organization's philosophy or their committment to putting a winner on the field. As I've stated many times before, my feeling will change if Nix cleans-up the football operations and if he actually hires a good HC. If neither happens, it is very obvious that this hire was made to appease the fans wanting and calling for a "football man" to be the GM. In essence, Nix will be a puppet for Ralph. Again, this could change, thus the title, "as of right now".

Historian
01-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Watch us shut out Indy like 35-0. That would be classic Buffalo.

:rofl:

:historian:

DraftBoy
01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
The point is, if he doesn't cleanout the football side of things and this is not a pre-cursor to bringing in a top-notch HC, then absolutely nothing has changed with this organization's philosophy or their committment to putting a winner on the field. As I've stated many times before, my feeling will change if Nix cleans-up the football operations and if he actually hires a good HC. If neither happens, it is very obvious that this hire was made to appease the fans wanting and calling for a "football man" to be the GM. In essence, Nix will be a puppet for Ralph. Again, this could change, thus the title, "as of right now".

Yes but that's not what I asked though.

My point is this; what constitutes a good coach exactly? If Cowher comes in here and sucks, does that make him a good coach? If its a coordinator like Rivers who comes in and takes us to the playoffs in a couple of years does that mean he's a bad coach?

You're trying to judge the guy based on split second reactions, instead of letting things play out. I understand your frustration but deeming a guy a good or bad hire based off who he immediately fires or hires is way too premature a judgment. I understand we have sucked for a long time but Nix isn't going to turn this ship around in one off season or maybe not even with one coach. Just food for thought.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Yes but that's not what I asked though.

My point is this; what constitutes a good coach exactly? If Cowher comes in here and sucks, does that make him a good coach? If its a coordinator like Rivers who comes in and takes us to the playoffs in a couple of years does that mean he's a bad coach?

You're trying to judge the guy based on split second reactions, instead of letting things play out. I understand your frustration but deeming a guy a good or bad hire based off who he immediately fires or hires is way too premature a judgment. I understand we have sucked for a long time but Nix isn't going to turn this ship around in one off season or maybe not even with one coach. Just food for thought.

I think my thoughts are pretty rationale and I answered the question you asked. Your philosophy contradicts the one thing that you hold dear to your heart...the draft and drafting. How can you criticize picks if you don't let them play out? You see where I'm going with this? You're opinion does not make it any more correct then mine does.

DraftBoy
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I think my thoughts are pretty rationale and I answered the question you asked. Your philosophy contradicts the one thing that you hold dear to your heart...the draft and drafting. How can you criticize picks if you don't let them play out? You see where I'm going with this? You're opinion does not make it any more correct then mine does.

Have you seen me be critical of Maybin yet? No you've seen me say lets see where he is in a few years. Im critical of picks where I feel as though higher value players are left on the board, and in my defense, Im right more than Im wrong about that.

I let every pick play out, and never write off a pick based on whether or not I deem where he was drafted to be poor. I did not like the Trent Edwards pick but I did support him taking over for Losman and seeing what he had. Just as I do with Brohm.

Your thoughts are rational but I think your snap judgement is not, you want immediate gratification when both you and I know that's not possible. Its not going to be one great draft pick, or one great coach that turns this team around its, going to be many good draft picks, a good coaching staff, and good FA's signing. Doing one of those however does not mean we are going to do them all correctly. Im going to judge Nix based on all of those facets and not just on who he hires or fires in the next few weeks. To me that makes little sense.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Have you seen me be critical of Maybin yet? No you've seen me say lets see where he is in a few years. Im critical of picks where I feel as though higher value players are left on the board, and in my defense, Im right more than Im wrong about that.

I let every pick play out, and never write off a pick based on whether or not I deem where he was drafted to be poor. I did not like the Trent Edwards pick but I did support him taking over for Losman and seeing what he had. Just as I do with Brohm.

Your thoughts are rational but I think your snap judgement is not, you want immediate gratification when both you and I know that's not possible. Its not going to be one great draft pick, or one great coach that turns this team around its, going to be many good draft picks, a good coaching staff, and good FA's signing. Doing one of those however does not mean we are going to do them all correctly. Im going to judge Nix based on all of those facets and not just on who he hires or fires in the next few weeks. To me that makes little sense.

My opinion is based on fact and history of this franchise...that's all anybody has to post judgement on this move. Using history and the fact that they did not look outside the organization for a candidate, most can come to the conclusion that this is again Ralph being Ralph. Like I've said, if for some reason this is a precursor to Cowher or Schotty coming in, then I understand it completely. If it is not, it smells of more of the same from this franchise.