PDA

View Full Version : Nix thoughts on the cover 2, and the QB

yordad
01-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Speaking in reference to the weather factor in Buffalo Buddy Nix said "You don''t bring a guy in here that a, a quarterback for example, that's a questionable arm strength. In this wind and this climate, you gotta be able to throw it through that. And so you bring one in that can do that."

4:20 mark (http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Focus-Buddy-Nix-1-on-1/4feb168c-f9f6-4706-af47-a532a09e8a78).

He also made reference to the fact small quick defensive players get warn down. He specifically mention Indy's defense, and said "You can wear them down, their not very big", and that style of play is built for the dome.

Well,for those that don't know, the Colts defense closely resembles ours in scheme and philosophy.

"I want a coach that is a good teacher, and can develop young talent and you gotta play them in a hurry, because you may not have him but 4 or 5 years."

Thoughts? To me that sounds like a significant change in defense and a new QB. Maybe he tells Fewell to play Brohm this weekend. :idunno:

shelby
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
all reports thus far have Fitz starting on Sunday.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Maybe he shoulda told the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70s that they weren't very good too.

Oops!

The system would work fine if we had the players for it.

yordad
01-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Maybe he shoulda told the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70s that they weren't very good too.

Oops!

The system would work fine if we had the players for it.Did the Steelers have undersized guys all over their cover 2?

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Did the Steelers have undersized guys all over their cover 2?

Again, as I said, the system would work fine if it had the proper players.

And he brings up this worn down aspect here...maybe if our offense had some semblance of ability they could hold the ball more and sustain drives.

Any defense will get worn down when the offense does a whole lot of nothing.

Using the 1990 Bills as an example, the Giants won the game because they wore down the defense...not that the defense was bad.

BillsWin
01-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I say all signs point to Ryan Mallet in the first, McNeil in free agency, and transitioning to the 3-4 and going big.

Which I really don't mind.

yordad
01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Again, as I said, the system would work fine if it had the proper players.

And he brings up this worn down aspect here...maybe if our offense had some semblance of ability they could hold the ball more and sustain drives.

Any defense will get worn down when the offense does a whole lot of nothing.

Using the 1990 Bills as an example, the Giants won the game because they wore down the defense...not that the defense was bad.Well, even if he kept the scheme but changed the philosophy so that it no longer included undersized guys that would be "significant". Right?

yordad
01-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I say all signs point to Ryan Mallet in the first, McNeil in free agency, and transitioning to the 3-4 and going big.

Which I really don't mind.I would be all for that. These comments really lower the likelyhood the Bills would target Bradford, IMO.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, even if he kept the scheme but changed the philosophy so that it no longer included undersized guys that would be "significant". Right?

It would be more significant if they picked up players that had skill and not just plugged in guys year after year.

I don't care what the system is, any system can be successful, as long as you have talent that fits it and can execute it.

If we had a 3-4 the past 5 years, everyone would hate that too by now.

YardRat
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM

As the Charger fan pointed out to me earlier, McNeill is a RFA, so it'll cost a first and a third at least to pry him from San Diego. Won't be able to do that and draft Mallett in the first.

ByrdsTheWord
01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Ryan Mallett? ughhh

Mahdi
01-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Speaking in reference to the weather factor in Buffalo Buddy Nix said "You don''t bring a guy in here that a, a quarterback for example, that's a questionable arm strength. In this wind and this climate, you gotta be able to throw it through that. And so you bring one in that can do that."

4:20 mark (http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Focus-Buddy-Nix-1-on-1/4feb168c-f9f6-4706-af47-a532a09e8a78).

He also made reference to the fact small quick defensive players get warn down. He specifically mention Indy's defense, and said "You can wear them down, their not very big", and that style of play is built for the dome.

Well,for those that don't know, the Colts defense closely resembles ours in scheme and philosophy.

"I want a coach that is a good teacher, and can develop young talent and you gotta play them in a hurry, because you may not have him but 4 or 5 years."

Thoughts? To me that sounds like a significant change in defense and a new QB. Maybe he tells Fewell to play Brohm this weekend. :idunno:
All that pretty much discards Trent, the cover 2 and dumb decisions like dressing Reed and Jenkins weekly over Hardy and Johnson.

Mahdi
01-02-2010, 08:59 AM

I think we could get Mallett in the second.

Nix will look at Derrick Morgan and see Shawne Merriman and I'm hoping that is our pick.

yordad
01-02-2010, 09:13 AM
All that pretty much discards Trent, the cover 2 and dumb decisions like dressing Reed and Jenkins weekly over Hardy and Johnson.That is basically what I got from this interview also.