PDA

View Full Version : So, in summary.........

Dr. Lecter
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM
1. Bill Cowher has not said "No" to the Bills.

2. It appears as if the Bills are making a full out push to get him in town. Their past history might kill them, but they are doing what they can now.

3. On all of the sports discussion shows that talk about the situation, Cowher to Buffalo is dismissed as something will never happen. However, those people never seem to cite sources and seem to be speculating and using "common sense" When sources are cited, it sounds like he is considering it.

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting.

5. The Bills are being very slow in interviewing other candidates. This is not necessarily bad, because there is no competition for hc jobs, as of now. The problem starts to arise when it is time to hire assistants.

6. Cowher has also not said yes. Disturbing. Assuming the offer made is a fair one (And I am positive it is), what is the hold-up? Hold-ups like family and talent level of the roster are out of the Bills hands right now.

7. People will take the smallest rumor and run with it, even if it is from a random douchebag on Twitter, Facebook or message boards.

8. If Cowher wants the job, he might take awhile to say yes. How long should the Bills wait before they move on and go after somebody else?

9. The hire of Nix might not be a negative, in fact it might be positive. Fact is, if he comes in Cowher will not want a strong GM. He will want somebody he can work with and that can help evaluate talent. But not somebody with a strong track record that could try and fight all of his choices. There is little doubt that Nix can evaluate talent.

10. Keeping Modrak around, is also not terrible. Cowher worked with him before and they appear to respect and like one another.

11. The number of false rumors is staggering. Everybody remember the rumor about the Bills standing up a meeting with Cowher? :rofl: I think that was my favorite one!!!!

Look, as of this time nobody knows for sure what is going. Based on the reports that we have seen from people who have shown a good track record, it appears as if the Bills are strongly pursuing the man with a chin. They have likely made a fair offer to him. What needs to happen now, is he needs to decide to accept or reject it. He might need to be convinced that money will be spent on players and assistants. He might need to convince his family. In the meantime, the Bills are slowly looking for plan B by interviewing Frazier, Fewell and perhaps Harbaugh, Grim and others. And this mystery might not be resolved for a long time. Or, it could be resolved tomorrow morning or tonight.

All I know is that if there are any flights from NYC to Buffalo tonight, I am going speculate away!!!!!

Ebenezer
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
All I know is that if there are any flights from NYC to Buffalo tonight, I am going speculate away!!!!!
I can name several flights from JFK to Buffalo via Jet Blue that run after 8:30PM ET...I used to take them...lol...

trapezeus
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
that would be amazing if cowher was on a jetblue.com flight.

he'd be showing his real "bluecollar" mentality.

Night Train
01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I think the good Dr. is onto something.

Excellent post :up:

EricStratton
01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I wonder what affect the fact that CBS has the Superbowl may have of his decision.

Would he hold off on a decision to honor his commitment to the network?

cwkbills
01-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Take a look at this video it says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jpSH6zYrE

Neubs24
01-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I wonder what affect the fact that CBS has the Superbowl may have of his decision.

Would he hold off on a decision to honor his commitment to the network?

I was wondering this too... that maybe he has to wait out his CBS thing. He may have agreed and has staff agreements in place, but cant announce it for a certain time. That would explain the "I cant comment at this time" from our friend in NYC

Saratoga Slim
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM

2. It appears as if the Bills are making a full out push to get him in town. Their past history might kill them, but they are doing what they can now.

3. On all of the sports discussion shows that talk about the situation, Cowher to Buffalo is dismissed as something will never happen. However, those people never seem to cite sources and seem to be speculating and using "common sense" When sources are cited, it sounds like he is considering it.

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting.

5. The Bills are being very slow in interviewing other candidates. This is not necessarily bad, because there is no competition for hc jobs, as of now. The problem starts to arise when it is time to hire assistants.

6. Cowher has also not said yes. Disturbing. Assuming the offer made is a fair one (And I am positive it is), what is the hold-up? Hold-ups like family and talent level of the roster are out of the Bills hands right now.

7. People will take the smallest rumor and run with it, even if it is from a random douchebag on Twitter, Facebook or message boards.

8. If Cowher wants the job, he might take awhile to say yes. How long should the Bills wait before they move on and go after somebody else?

9. The hire of Nix might not be a negative, in fact it might be positive. Fact is, if he comes in Cowher will not want a strong GM. He will want somebody he can work with and that can help evaluate talent. But not somebody with a strong track record that could try and fight all of his choices. There is little doubt that Nix can evaluate talent.

10. Keeping Modrak around, is also not terrible. Cowher worked with him before and they appear to respect and like one another.

11. The number of false rumors is staggering. Everybody remember the rumor about the Bills standing up a meeting with Cowher? :rofl: I think that was my favorite one!!!!

Look, as of this time nobody knows for sure what is going. Based on the reports that we have seen from people who have shown a good track record, it appears as if the Bills are strongly pursuing the man with a chin. They have likely made a fair offer to him. What needs to happen now, is he needs to decide to accept or reject it. He might need to be convinced that money will be spent on players and assistants. He might need to convince his family. In the meantime, the Bills are slowly looking for plan B by interviewing Frazier, Fewell and perhaps Harbaugh, Grim and others. And this mystery might not be resolved for a long time. Or, it could be resolved tomorrow morning or tonight.

Good post.

The bottom line is the pendulum of collective fan emotion should not be swinging wildly left to right and back. With the exception of firings/hirings that modify the market for Cohwer's services, there really has been NO NEWS. We're pursuing him. He's thinking about it and while rumor suggests it is unlikely that he's interested, he has not yet said "no." Everything else is speculation.

It sucks, but we've got to hunker down and just wait. No reason to get frantic over every commentator's prognosis.

Neubs24
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Also, if its CBS gumming up the works, do we have any past examples of a coach leaving a network to compare to to see if that is in fact the case?

Novacane
01-10-2010, 05:09 PM
4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting

This is confusing one to me. What does anyone else make of this? I'd say it was a good sign if not for what Adam Schefter said today. I can not believe he would make the statements he did without some very very very solid sources telling him no Cowher in Buffalo. I'm 99.9% convinced Cowher ain't comming to Buffalo.

Nighthawk
01-10-2010, 05:09 PM

Excellent post...but I highly doubt that the Nix hire is viewed as a good hire in the NFL. The only way it looks good is if Cowher or Marty comes here...otherwise it looks foolish.

Night Train
01-10-2010, 05:10 PM
The Bills play most of their games on CBS, so his story could be an exclusive to them.

James Brown introduced the pre-game panel in a week or 2 and says " You may notice an empty chair " ( Cowhers ). The camera goes to a remote location and there is Cowher smiling. He puts on a Bills cap and says " you'll be seeing me on the sidelines next season, on CBS " .

:up:

SpillerThrills
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Take a look at this video it says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jpSH6zYrE

I have that hat, it's from like '94.... come on dude, buy a new one!

SpillerThrills
01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
This is confusing one to me. What does anyone else make of this? I'd say it was a good sign if not for what Adam Schefter said today. I can not believe he would make the statements he did without some very very very solid sources telling him no Cowher in Buffalo. I'm 99.9% convinced Cowher ain't comming to Buffalo.

CBS might have said something to the crew about not mentioning Cowher's name in regards to Buffalo because something may be in the works. just because his name wasn't mentioned doesn't mean that someone told him no, it just means he might have been told not to mention it.

zone
01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
The thing is Schefter can say whatever the heck he wants. Cowher has had plenty of chances to say that he will not be in Buffalo next year and has not done that.

Why is that?

Nighthawk
01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
The thing is Schefter can say whatever the heck he wants. Cowher has had plenty of chances to say that he will not be in Buffalo next year and has not done that.

Why is that?

I don't know, but he needs to say one way or another...

Ebenezer
01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't know, but he needs to say one way or another...
why? why does cowher need to say anything? to satisfy the Bills fans?

BillsWin
01-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Good thread. Its all true. All I know for certain is the Bills made Cowher their top priority and from everything I am hearing, made a great go of it and it is in Cowher's hands now.

I will continue to speculate on flights as well!

X-Era
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Good thread. Its all true. All I know for certain is the Bills made Cowher their top priority and from everything I am hearing, made a great go of it and it is in Cowher's hands now.

I will continue to speculate on flights as well!

:lol:

Nighthawk
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Why shouldn't he? If he isn't interested, then confirm it...what's the big deal?

BillsWin
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
:lol:

What's so funny X? :crack:

hydro
01-10-2010, 05:41 PM
IMO, if you are getting hounded about the Bills coaching job and it isn't even on your radar. You squash that bug and move on. Why have people stake out your leaving the CBS studio for info if you can just say "I am not considering the Bills job" which gets everyone off his back.

mrdeadlier
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
IMO, if you are getting hounded about the Bills coaching job and it isn't even on your radar. You squash that bug and move on. Why have people stake out your leaving the CBS studio for info if you can just say "I am not considering the Bills job" which gets everyone off his back.

who's on his back? the national media isn't giving any credibility to the possibility at all practically.

Slim
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
WTF HAPPENED? I could hardly take not getting my minutely Cowher update.

patmoran2006
01-10-2010, 05:59 PM

The only thing that truly has me worried is that Adam Schefter is REALLY putting his name on the line with his no Cowher to Bills comment.. He didnt say "not likely" or "highly unlikely", he flat out said its not happening, which sets him up for an epic media fail.

Usually people, especially those that high up carefully phrase their words. He didn't.

It leads me to think he has a VERY close source to it.

Neubs24
01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Last year with the Jets interested, Cowher shot it down right away. Its very telling (IMO) that he and OBD have been silent right now.

zone
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
The only thing that truly has me worried is that Adam Schefter is REALLY putting his name on the line with his no Cowher to Bills comment.. He didnt say "not likely" or "highly unlikely", he flat out said its not happening, which sets him up for an epic media fail.

Usually people, especially those that high up carefully phrase their words. He didn't.

It leads me to think he has a VERY close source to it.
Is he really "putting his name on the line" though? What is the worst case scenario, the Bills do get Cowher and he has to say "wow, no one saw that happening?".

It's not like he will lose his job over it.

Ebenezer
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Why shouldn't he? If he isn't interested, then confirm it...what's the big deal?
when you have taken a job have you gone around telling your friends and extended family what you are doing before you do it? it's truly none of our business. you just want to know to satisfy your own curiosity.

YardRat
01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
When did you learn to count to 11??

SpillerThrills
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
When did you learn to count to 11??

either he had help, or he took off his socks and shoes. :nod:

Mudflap1
01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree Schefter is being awfully definitive about Cowher. However, 99.9% of Football America feel the Bills have no shot at Cowher. It's not as if Schefter would be personally crucified for whiffing if Cowher went to Buffalo. Nobody thinks Buffalo has a chance. Furthermore, nobody really cares about Buffalo. The Bills have been a laughingstock for years. If somehow the stars aligned, I think it would shock almost every media source, not just Schefter.

jamze132
01-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I dont't think Cowher is a doucher and I am pretty sure he is well aware that everyone who watches the NFL is eager to know what his 2010 plans are. I am pretty sure when he has a made a decision one way or the other, everyone will know.

clumping platelets
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM

I think that this is THE most important point Lecter made.............something's brewing IMHO!