Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, in summary.........

Thanks
    Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So, in summary.........

1. Bill Cowher has not said "No" to the Bills.

2. It appears as if the Bills are making a full out push to get him in town. Their past history might kill them, but they are doing what they can now.

3. On all of the sports discussion shows that talk about the situation, Cowher to Buffalo is dismissed as something will never happen. However, those people never seem to cite sources and seem to be speculating and using "common sense" When sources are cited, it sounds like he is considering it.

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting.

5. The Bills are being very slow in interviewing other candidates. This is not necessarily bad, because there is no competition for hc jobs, as of now. The problem starts to arise when it is time to hire assistants.

6. Cowher has also not said yes. Disturbing. Assuming the offer made is a fair one (And I am positive it is), what is the hold-up? Hold-ups like family and talent level of the roster are out of the Bills hands right now.

7. People will take the smallest rumor and run with it, even if it is from a random douchebag on Twitter, Facebook or message boards.

8. If Cowher wants the job, he might take awhile to say yes. How long should the Bills wait before they move on and go after somebody else?

9. The hire of Nix might not be a negative, in fact it might be positive. Fact is, if he comes in Cowher will not want a strong GM. He will want somebody he can work with and that can help evaluate talent. But not somebody with a strong track record that could try and fight all of his choices. There is little doubt that Nix can evaluate talent.

10. Keeping Modrak around, is also not terrible. Cowher worked with him before and they appear to respect and like one another.

11. The number of false rumors is staggering. Everybody remember the rumor about the Bills standing up a meeting with Cowher? I think that was my favorite one!!!!

Look, as of this time nobody knows for sure what is going. Based on the reports that we have seen from people who have shown a good track record, it appears as if the Bills are strongly pursuing the man with a chin. They have likely made a fair offer to him. What needs to happen now, is he needs to decide to accept or reject it. He might need to be convinced that money will be spent on players and assistants. He might need to convince his family. In the meantime, the Bills are slowly looking for plan B by interviewing Frazier, Fewell and perhaps Harbaugh, Grim and others. And this mystery might not be resolved for a long time. Or, it could be resolved tomorrow morning or tonight.

All I know is that if there are any flights from NYC to Buffalo tonight, I am going speculate away!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So, in summary.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter
    All I know is that if there are any flights from NYC to Buffalo tonight, I am going speculate away!!!!!
    I can name several flights from JFK to Buffalo via Jet Blue that run after 8:30PM ET...I used to take them...lol...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

that would be amazing if cowher was on a jetblue.com flight.

he'd be showing his real "bluecollar" mentality.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thumbs up Re: So, in summary.........

I think the good Dr. is onto something.

Excellent post
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wonder what affect the fact that CBS has the Superbowl may have of his decision.

Would he hold off on a decision to honor his commitment to the network?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Take a look at this video it says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jpSH6zYrE

CEO of Dubious Operations Neubs24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton
    I wonder what affect the fact that CBS has the Superbowl may have of his decision.

Would he hold off on a decision to honor his commitment to the network?
    I was wondering this too... that maybe he has to wait out his CBS thing. He may have agreed and has staff agreements in place, but cant announce it for a certain time. That would explain the "I cant comment at this time" from our friend in NYC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2. It appears as if the Bills are making a full out push to get him in town. Their past history might kill them, but they are doing what they can now.

3. On all of the sports discussion shows that talk about the situation, Cowher to Buffalo is dismissed as something will never happen. However, those people never seem to cite sources and seem to be speculating and using "common sense" When sources are cited, it sounds like he is considering it.

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting.

5. The Bills are being very slow in interviewing other candidates. This is not necessarily bad, because there is no competition for hc jobs, as of now. The problem starts to arise when it is time to hire assistants.

6. Cowher has also not said yes. Disturbing. Assuming the offer made is a fair one (And I am positive it is), what is the hold-up? Hold-ups like family and talent level of the roster are out of the Bills hands right now.

7. People will take the smallest rumor and run with it, even if it is from a random douchebag on Twitter, Facebook or message boards.

8. If Cowher wants the job, he might take awhile to say yes. How long should the Bills wait before they move on and go after somebody else?

9. The hire of Nix might not be a negative, in fact it might be positive. Fact is, if he comes in Cowher will not want a strong GM. He will want somebody he can work with and that can help evaluate talent. But not somebody with a strong track record that could try and fight all of his choices. There is little doubt that Nix can evaluate talent.

10. Keeping Modrak around, is also not terrible. Cowher worked with him before and they appear to respect and like one another.

11. The number of false rumors is staggering. Everybody remember the rumor about the Bills standing up a meeting with Cowher? I think that was my favorite one!!!!

Look, as of this time nobody knows for sure what is going. Based on the reports that we have seen from people who have shown a good track record, it appears as if the Bills are strongly pursuing the man with a chin. They have likely made a fair offer to him. What needs to happen now, is he needs to decide to accept or reject it. He might need to be convinced that money will be spent on players and assistants. He might need to convince his family. In the meantime, the Bills are slowly looking for plan B by interviewing Frazier, Fewell and perhaps Harbaugh, Grim and others. And this mystery might not be resolved for a long time. Or, it could be resolved tomorrow morning or tonight.

Good post.

The bottom line is the pendulum of collective fan emotion should not be swinging wildly left to right and back. With the exception of firings/hirings that modify the market for Cohwer's services, there really has been NO NEWS. We're pursuing him. He's thinking about it and while rumor suggests it is unlikely that he's interested, he has not yet said "no." Everything else is speculation.

It sucks, but we've got to hunker down and just wait. No reason to get frantic over every commentator's prognosis.
    Last edited by Saratoga Slim; 01-10-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

CEO of Dubious Operations Neubs24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Also, if its CBS gumming up the works, do we have any past examples of a coach leaving a network to compare to to see if that is in fact the case?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,492 Times in 7,331 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting

This is confusing one to me. What does anyone else make of this? I'd say it was a good sign if not for what Adam Schefter said today. I can not believe he would make the statements he did without some very very very solid sources telling him no Cowher in Buffalo. I'm 99.9% convinced Cowher ain't comming to Buffalo.

Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo! Nighthawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Excellent post...but I highly doubt that the Nix hire is viewed as a good hire in the NFL. The only way it looks good is if Cowher or Marty comes here...otherwise it looks foolish.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills play most of their games on CBS, so his story could be an exclusive to them.

James Brown introduced the pre-game panel in a week or 2 and says " You may notice an empty chair " ( Cowhers ). The camera goes to a remote location and there is Cowher smiling. He puts on a Bills cap and says " you'll be seeing me on the sidelines next season, on CBS " .

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cwkbills
    Take a look at this video it says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jpSH6zYrE

I have that hat, it's from like '94.... come on dude, buy a new one!
    2008-2009 BZHL Champion!
    2008 Pro Football Pick 'em Champion!
    2008 Survival Football Co-Champion!
    2006-2007 3 Star Pick 'em Champion!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane
    This is confusing one to me. What does anyone else make of this? I'd say it was a good sign if not for what Adam Schefter said today. I can not believe he would make the statements he did without some very very very solid sources telling him no Cowher in Buffalo. I'm 99.9% convinced Cowher ain't comming to Buffalo.

CBS might have said something to the crew about not mentioning Cowher's name in regards to Buffalo because something may be in the works. just because his name wasn't mentioned doesn't mean that someone told him no, it just means he might have been told not to mention it.

No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds. zone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane
    The thing is Schefter can say whatever the heck he wants. Cowher has had plenty of chances to say that he will not be in Buffalo next year and has not done that.

Why is that?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by zone
    The thing is Schefter can say whatever the heck he wants. Cowher has had plenty of chances to say that he will not be in Buffalo next year and has not done that.

Why is that?
    I don't know, but he needs to say one way or another...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk
    I don't know, but he needs to say one way or another...
    why? why does cowher need to say anything? to satisfy the Bills fans?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good thread. Its all true. All I know for certain is the Bills made Cowher their top priority and from everything I am hearing, made a great go of it and it is in Cowher's hands now.

I will continue to speculate on flights as well!
    I am The Batman.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsWin
    Good thread. Its all true. All I know for certain is the Bills made Cowher their top priority and from everything I am hearing, made a great go of it and it is in Cowher's hands now.

I will continue to speculate on flights as well!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    why? why does cowher need to say anything? to satisfy the Bills fans?
    Why shouldn't he? If he isn't interested, then confirm it...what's the big deal?