PDA

View Full Version : Kiper looks at immediate impact players

Pinkerton Security
04-28-2010, 09:07 AM
2. C.J. Spiller (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/25503/cj-spiller)
Count me in the group of folks who question what the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) were thinking in not drafting a tackle until Round 5. They passed on good tackles several times before the fifth round. Still, Spiller has the chance to make an immediate impact in the NFL. Yes, the learning curve for running backs will naturally push them onto lists like this, but Spiller lands here also because he figures not to receive the holes most backs need to be successful, and he and Best are the two players taken early who can get huge yardage out of nothing. The question for the Bills will be whether a back like Spiller, who shouldn't be cast into a role as a guy piling up much more than 15 carries per game, also can be used in the passing or return games.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=5140364

Mahdi
04-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Im really sick of this INSIDER BS... as if they are more enlightened than any other sports site. They need to drop that non-sense, its enough that I visit their website and give them hits.

Pinkerton Security
04-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Im really sick of this INSIDER BS... as if they are more enlightened than any other sports site. They need to drop that non-sense, its enough that I visit their website and give them hits.

i agree...i get ESPN the mag as a gift so i get it for free anyways, but it is def a rip-off...is somewhat worth it during draft season and for fantasy purposes but other than that it is completely worthless.

Night Train
04-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Let's look at it another way. Spiller may get 10-12 carries a game, with Fred Jackson getting more. He may also get another 5 catches a game lining up as a slot WR or in motion...in the open field..in space...where he can break it.

That's worth it to me. He can score on every play. Jackson can not.

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
They are going to use Spiller in multiple roles this year. He won't be a workhorse back. Maybe the reason for keeping Beastmode.

FlyingDutchman
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
what solid immediate impact tackles were really available at our 2nd pick?

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I think Brown was there but again was LT more of a need than NT? I really don't think so. We had NO ONE to play NT with. We had at least 2 young LT with some starting experience on our roster. That had to be their mindset.

Now we have a space eating NT for downs 1 and 2 and we can bring in a capable player like Williams on passing downs.

Pinkerton Security
04-28-2010, 09:56 AM

yeah i really hate how they seem to focus on our needs and not to what was actually on the board at that point...we obviously (or at least i hope) felt that none of the tackles on the board at these points were any better than what we currently have on our roster. I mean i kept getting surprised when we didnt select a tackle also, but looking back at it there really werent a ton of tackle prospects, and it seems, to me, that there was a big fall-off between the top guys, hell even the 2nd tier guys like Anthony Smith and Bulaga, and the guys that were available for us.

TigerJ
04-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Let's look at it another way. Spiller may get 10-12 carries a game, with Fred Jackson getting more. He may also get another 5 catches a game lining up as a slot WR or in motion...in the open field..in space...where he can break it.

That's worth it to me. He can score on every play. Jackson can not.Moreover, since Spiller is not likely to be an every down back, he will probably be available for return duty where he might be good for 2 or 3 touchdowns in the season, as well as several other long returns.

Mahdi
04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Moreover, since Spiller is not likely to be an every down back, he will probably be available for return duty where he might be good for 2 or 3 touchdowns in the season, as well as several other long returns.
Spiller IS an every down RB. The only thing he probably wouldn't do is short yardage like 3rd/4th and 1 or 2. Other than that, expect to see Spiller get plenty of carries. He ran well inside in his senior year and showed that he can handle the workload.

psubills62
04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Spiller IS an every down RB. The only thing he probably wouldn't do is short yardage like 3rd/4th and 1 or 2. Other than that, expect to see Spiller get plenty of carries. He ran well inside in his senior year and showed that he can handle the workload.

I have no doubts that he'll get his touches. Obviously they didn't draft him #9 overall just to put him on kickoffs. I think that Tiger was trying to say that Spiller won't be a workhorse. And he shouldn't be, considering we have two capable RB's behind him.

Spiller has already got a decent amount of wear on his tires for a rookie. I think he'll get ~10 carries and ~5 receptions per game. He'll be on the field a lot, and I can see him even being used as a decoy a number of times.

Mahdi
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I have no doubts that he'll get his touches. Obviously they didn't draft him #9 overall just to put him on kickoffs. I think that Tiger was trying to say that Spiller won't be a workhorse. And he shouldn't be, considering we have two capable RB's behind him.

Spiller has already got a decent amount of wear on his tires for a rookie. I think he'll get ~10 carries and ~5 receptions per game. He'll be on the field a lot, and I can see him even being used as a decoy a number of times.
10 carries is very little for the 9th overall pick. I expect more like 15-20 with Jackson getting 10-15 of his own.

We should be running the ball about 35 times a game.

psubills62
04-28-2010, 12:14 PM
10 carries is very little for the 9th overall pick. I expect more like 15-20 with Jackson getting 10-15 of his own.

Maybe, but I still don't think they'll use Spiller as a main back, primarily to prevent him wearing down too fast.

ddaryl
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I like to see Spiller used at wideout some this year. He can outrun most any DB, and would cause major matchup headaches for opposing D's

EDS
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

I agree. If Spiller is only getting 10 carries a game then drafting him so high doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mahdi
04-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Maybe, but I still don't think they'll use Spiller as a main back, primarily to prevent him wearing down too fast.
If he is not used as the main back then drafting him was senseless. This guy should be on the field for 80-90% of the offensive plays.

He should be taking 15-20 carries, lining up in the slot on passing downs, catching out of the backfield and running wildcat.

This guy should be our main offensive weapon at all times. I remember Chris Johnson single-handedly dismantling our defense running, catching, screens and decoy in our regular season game against the Titans last year.

Pinkerton Security
04-28-2010, 12:21 PM
If he is not used as the main back then drafting him was senseless. This guy should be on the field for 80-90% of the offensive plays.

He should be taking 15-20 carries, lining up in the slot on passing downs, catching out of the backfield and running wildcat.

This guy should be our main offensive weapon at all times.

you may be right, but I'd be willing to bet we ease him into the league...i dont think he'll be getting as many touches right out of the gate as he does near the end of the year.

Mahdi
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
you may be right, but I'd be willing to bet we ease him into the league...i dont think he'll be getting as many touches right out of the gate as he does near the end of the year.
Yeah I agree. I think the first couple games he will get eased into it. But once he starts making plays he will be featured all over the offense.

Buffalogic
04-28-2010, 02:17 PM
We're going to run the ball like 40+ times a game. There's plenty of carries to go around. And Freddy as well as Spiller can go out to slot. I'd love to see all three backs on the field at once. Split backs, one in the slot. Our Rb's are much better than our receivers, so keep the best players on the field!

mikemac2001
04-28-2010, 02:42 PM
i would like alot of 2 back sets like pro form and moving in motion or using some flat patterns to get a LB mismatch

ParanoidAndroid
04-28-2010, 03:06 PM
#9 pick or not, the Bills currently have the best set of running backs in the NFL with Spiller, Lynch and Jackson. Any coach with half a brain is going to use all three and keep his backfield fresh.