PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwan notes from Bills camp

Ickybaluky
08-05-2010, 09:29 PM
He seems to like the direction Gailey has the team going. Although he deserves a dope slap for indentifying Kyle Williams as Kyle Davis (twice).

LINK (http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8198a7b5/article/bills-still-a-ways-off-but-gailey-instilling-the-right-mindset?module=HP_spotlight)

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 09:34 PM
"The Bills just released their best pass rusher, Aaron Schobel, and that puts a tremendous amount of pressure on second-year linebacker Aaron Maybin -- last year's first-round pick -- and Chris Kelsay to deliver around 20 sacks this season. To expect such production seems highly unlikely."

Not a fan of this quote...The Browns generated 40 sacks last year among 16 different guys. You don't need 2 guys to generate pass rush. Their top 2 combined for 12 sacks.

OpIv37
08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Interesting that he pointed out how Edwards said he liked practicing against the 3-4. I read the same thing from someone else earlier...

Jauron really was a friggin moron. We play a minimum of 6 games a year against 3-4 D's and we didn't even practice against it? I guess that's what an Ivy League education will get you.

Sometimes I have to wonder if Jauron is the absent-minded professor, standing on the sidelines contemplating how the 3-4 D relates to the tactics used by the warriors of ancient Sparta as Edwards gets decapitated on the field.

If that makes no sense, it's because I just took a Benadryl then spent an hour and a half playing God of War II.

Nighthawk
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
"The Bills have been out in pads more than the other teams I have visited so far, and according to running back Fred Jackson, have already had three live goal line drills in the first week. Jackson said the team needs the work, specifically an offense that has struggled every day to move the ball."

Not a fan of this quote...The Browns generated 40 sacks last year among 16 different guys. You don't need 2 guys to generate pass rush. Their top 2 combined for 12 sacks.

Sorry, but I'm not following you on this one? What does that have to do with the quote???

better days
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Interesting that he pointed out how Edwards said he liked practicing against the 3-4. I read the same thing from someone else earlier...

Jauron really was a friggin moron. We play a minimum of 6 games a year against 3-4 D's and we didn't even practice against it? I guess that's what an Ivy League education will get you.

Sometimes I have to wonder if Jauron is the absent-minded professor, standing on the sidelines contemplating how the 3-4 D relates to the tactics used by the warriors of ancient Sparta as Edwards gets decapitated on the field.

If that makes no sense, it's because I just took a Benadryl then spent an hour and a half playing God of War II.

I think Jauron has finally found his level.......DB Coach.

Buffalogic
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah he brings up a topic I've been thinking about..Lots of people saying how good and quick Maybin looks in pass rush situations, but at the same time he has to be a liability against the run.

If he can't improve against the run the bills used the 11th overall pick for a situational, underweight, LB. I hope that's not the case.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Sorry, but I'm not following you on this one? What does that have to do with the quote???

Oops wrong quote posted...ugh.

"The Bills just released their best pass rusher, Aaron Schobel, and that puts a tremendous amount of pressure on second-year linebacker Aaron Maybin -- last year's first-round pick -- and Chris Kelsay to deliver around 20 sacks this season. To expect such production seems highly unlikely."

Also fixed in original post....double ugh.

PromoTheRobot
08-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Don't you think our new guys will contribute with some sacks? It's not like Maybin and Kelsay are the only two defensive players on the team. :doh:

PTR

Nighthawk
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Ha, ha...I thought I was just missing something and people weren't letting me in on the joke!

Buffalogic
08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Don't you think our new guys will contribute with some sacks? It's not like Maybin and Kelsay are the only two defensive players on the team. :doh:

PTRThat's his point. That we will get sacks from other spots besides these two players.

justasportsfan
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM

FTY feels exactly the same way you do about Jauron :snicker:

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
FTY feels exactly the same way you do about Jauron :snicker:

Oh no, not this again. :lol:

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 10:53 PM
That's his point. That we will get sacks from other spots besides these two players.

Exactly...

We can generate around 40 with multiple players and 40 sacks would be a good improvement from last year.

We don't need just Kelsay and Maybin to generate 20 sacks to have a more successful passrush than in prior seasons.

justasportsfan
08-05-2010, 10:56 PM
we were sacked last year vs. the 3-4 mostly by their linebackers/safeties and not much by the DL

Buffalogic
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
The crappy thing is that maybin will get some sacks, but he will probably get demolished while defending the run. No matter what position he plays it's going to be hard for him to get off blocks.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see it.

YardRat
08-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Is Torbor still getting the first down reps on the right?

methos4ever
08-06-2010, 06:28 AM
One note about Maybin. Pictures of him do not do him justice. In person, at least yesterday he's a lot bigger than the thin man he appears to be.

And he's as of April, 22 years old. They need to get him going.

Mahdi
08-06-2010, 07:25 AM

The Browns DC is a Ryan though. Our DC comes from a school of 3-4 where the ILB don't blitz that much. A lot of the pressure will be on Maybin, Ellis and Kelsay to get sacks.

bigfish2112
08-06-2010, 07:34 AM
I really dont care how big or how thin maybin is as long is he plays tough if he doesnt do that then he will get killed! Alot of players just are not nasty enough and they get killed and get pushed around.

ddaryl
08-06-2010, 07:36 AM

pretty safe to say Jauron was clueless :db:

methos4ever
08-06-2010, 07:42 AM
The Browns DC is a Ryan though. Our DC comes from a school of 3-4 where the ILB don't blitz that much. A lot of the pressure will be on Maybin, Ellis and Kelsay to get sacks.
One thing to note though Mahdi. Yesterday, they did a lot of rolling from a cover two to cover 3 and sent a safety. So while he may not send a ILB (which given our rush, maybe that changes his stance?) he will send OLBs and DBs with no problem.

Mahdi
08-06-2010, 07:44 AM
One thing to note though Mahdi. Yesterday, they did a lot of rolling from a cover two to cover 3 and sent a safety. So while he may not send a ILB (which given our rush, maybe that changes his stance?) he will send OLBs and DBs with no problem.
I hope he sends DBs a lot because we have a lot of playmakers in the secondary that would probably love to blitz and would likely be successful with it.

DraftBoy
08-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Edwards is going to mix it up a good bit with some zone blitzes and he'll bring a CB off the edge and bring the S on the blitz. I actually think Whitner could be a very good blitzer, he has good tackling skills and good speed if he can find a seam to break through he could get the sack.

psubills62
08-06-2010, 08:49 AM

I'm not even sure I understand this quote. Schobel and Kelsay combined had what, around 15 sacks last year? Where did the 20 number come from?

I definitely agree with you, FTY. We don't have to get that kind of production from just 2 guys. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ellis play more passing downs than Kelsay.

Ickybaluky
08-06-2010, 08:50 AM

I don't know about that. Indy runs a Tampa-2 and Peyton Manning doesn't seem to struggle against 3-4 teams anymore than 4-3 teams. I don't think you need to run the same defense as your opponents just to make your QB feel more comfortable.

Also, while a team may play a base 3-4, a lot of passes come against situational defenses like the nickel and dime, whether because of down-and-distance or because the score of the game dictates it. I know for a fact the Pats were in a base 3-4 less than 50% of their defensive snaps.

HHURRICANE
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
He starts out by saying we suck and than gets impressed with the Defense?

I do agree that making Edwards the starter helps the whole team build confidence, etc. I think his teammates are pretty much behind him as well.

justasportsfan
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Edwards is going to mix it up a good bit with some zone blitzes and he'll bring a CB off the edge and bring the S on the blitz. I actually think Whitner could be a very good blitzer, he has good tackling skills and good speed if he can find a seam to break through he could get the sack.
Youboty is good at that whenever he's not injured. :ill:

mchurchfie
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah he brings up a topic I've been thinking about..Lots of people saying how good and quick Maybin looks in pass rush situations, but at the same time he has to be a liability against the run.

If he can't improve against the run the bills used the 11th overall pick for a situational, underweight, LB. I hope that's not the case.
If he was on the D-line he might have a problem, but being back at LB he should be able to use his speed and agility to play off his D-line and do good against the run. He is undersized for a D-lineman, but I wouldn't hardly consider 255 lbs as being light for a LB. I think he is going to be excellent once he goes through the growing pains.

Buddo
08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know about that. Indy runs a Tampa-2 and Peyton Manning doesn't seem to struggle against 3-4 teams anymore than 4-3 teams. I don't think you need to run the same defense as your opponents just to make your QB feel more comfortable.

Also, while a team may play a base 3-4, a lot of passes come against situational defenses like the nickel and dime, whether because of down-and-distance or because the score of the game dictates it. I know for a fact the Pats were in a base 3-4 less than 50% of their defensive snaps.

The difference here is that Edwards rarely got to practise against a 3-4 D previously. Manning has been doing his stuff for years, and without being unkind to Edwards, is the single most talented QB around.
The point also, is that Manning has had good coaching from the beginning. Edwards is probably only getting that now.

better days
08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
The difference here is that Edwards rarely got to practise against a 3-4 D previously. Manning has been doing his stuff for years, and without being unkind to Edwards, is the single most talented QB around.
The point also, is that Manning has had good coaching from the beginning. Edwards is probably only getting that now.

Manning is also known to study film as much as the Coaches if not more. Trent is known for liking golf & Dakota Fanning.