PDA

View Full Version : Patriots want LB Shobel

buffalobillsfan95
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Patriots-want-LB-Schobel?urn=nfl-261102
i knew we would regret this....

Johnny Bugmenot
08-09-2010, 09:03 AM
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.."--George Santayana

Why do I have a feeling this has happened before? Oh, yeah, because it has.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I think Schobel is done as a player. I really don't think he will have much of an impact on the Pats, or wherever he ends up.

buffalobillsfan95
08-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I think Schobel is done as a player. I really don't think he will have much of an impact on the Pats, or wherever he ends up.
i agree its not like he had 10 sacks, 56 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and an int last year :couch:

HHURRICANE
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Again, I hate Schobel and it is only fitting that he goes to the Pats.

The problem is that Schobel isn't that good but he played against our offense in practice so he knows all of the tendencies, etc.

I'll take the 15 yard chop block penalty if it means sending his ass back to Texas early.

trapezeus
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
could the article also have the headline, "pats seek another old player to fill in on their aging team?"

M
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Schobel is a "veteran outside linebacker"? But anyway, it would be weird to see him in a Pats uni. I hope it doesn't happen ... even though I didn't want him back on the Bills.

Italian Stallion
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
i agree its not like he had 10 sacks, 56 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and an int last year :couch:

Exactly...he's not "done as a player" just because he isn't on the Bills anymore. He had more sacks than any Pats player a year ago.....and he will absolutly tear **** up against us and our hilarious OT's if he signs with them.

:poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop:

HHURRICANE
08-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Seriously, this would have to be the year we beat the Pats.

Nothing better than beating them with Schobel. It would put a nice excalmation mark to a carerr filled with overrated mediocrity.

The Jokeman
08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I still don't get why we released him, keep him on the reserved/retired list and if he wanted to go elsewhere then trade him. It's not like we have to worry about his hurting us against the cap since there is no cap. Yet before I say it someone will tell me Ralph isn't cheap.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Sorry to spoil the pity party over Schobel going somewhere else. We need young, aggressive guys who actually want to play here. Schobel is a player with no heart and no leadership ability, whose stats make him look far better than he ever played.

HHURRICANE
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Sorry to spoil the pity party over Schobel going somewhere else. We need young, aggressive guys who actually want to play here. Schobel is a player with no heart and no leadership ability, whose stats make him look far better than he ever played.

Boy do I agree with this!!

Tiburon1724
08-09-2010, 09:35 AM
his pick six against Brady in the opener last year was nice though :/
and hasn't he sacked Brady more than anyone else in the NFL? :/

justasportsfan
08-09-2010, 09:37 AM
If he signs with the Pats, he would be my most hated ex-bills player. He talked about wanting to be close to home etc.etc. Signing with the pats means he's a liar. Don't want to wish anyone injury but if he did sign with the PAts .........

DesertFox24
08-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I have always respected Schobel and the way he played. I even respected his decision to retire early to spend time with his family.

As a result of the recent events I have no issue with Schobel playing for the Texans or even the Cowboys, but if he were to play for Seattle, the Jets, Pats, Fins, bears, any team outside of Texas I would lose respect for him.

Also I highly doubt he wants to play in a 34 anyway I think he enjoys being a 43 end and that is why the texans are so enticing to him.

OpIv37
08-09-2010, 09:46 AM

The problem is that Schobel isn't that good but he played against our offense in practice so he knows all of the tendencies, etc.

did he though? I thought he sat out all the mini-camps and OTA's.

The King
08-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Schobels passive approach as a leader always bothered me. I believe he actually passed up the C. He's a productive player but he was never a favorite of mine...

He did however own Matt Light.

ddaryl
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
no regrets at all.. Let NE have him then...

We need to move forward...

better days
08-09-2010, 10:03 AM

I'll take the 15 yard chop block penalty if it means sending his ass back to Texas early.

He knows the tendencies of Dicks offense, not Chans.

madness
08-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Adam_Schefter This might make Aaron Schobel even more enticing. RT @espn_afcsouth (http://billszone.com/fanzone/): Mario Williams off for second opinion http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/13724/mario-williams-off-for-second-opinion

trapezeus
08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
i'm with justa. the bills let him off the hook to play in houston and to save some cash. if he went to the pats, he is going against his word.

that being said, i think he's done. he played well at the beginning of last year and the more his heart got out of it, the less inspired he played. i don't have the stats but i remember thinking last year that schobel was becoming less visible each game.

i'll hate the guy during the season intensely if he's on the pats and i'd love nothing more to see spiller juke him into retirement permanently. but after that game, i'd probably forget about schobel like i know i will about the rest of his bills career.

more cowbell
08-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Pretty sure Schobel would love to take out his career frustrations on the Bills. Considering this joke of a franchise held him and other very good players out of the playoffs year after year

justasportsfan
08-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Pretty sure Schobel would love to take out his career frustrations on the Bills. Considering this joke of a franchise held him and other very good players out of the playoffs year after year

UH, he chose not to test the market after his rookie contract. Nobody twisted his arm to stay. His contract was extended and given a raise even when he didn't ask for it. At the very end the bills were nice enough to still cut him so it would be easy on him. I wish him all the best if he ends up in houston. If he signs up with the PAts, I wish him Chronic Diarrhea everytime he wears their uni's especially on gameday.

DraftBoy
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
You guys act like this is some kind of witch craft like curse. This is football players change teams all the time even to rivals.

So Schobel joins the Pats? We all knew they would be interested and can pay him. He didnt want to be here anymore so we let him go.

justasportsfan
08-09-2010, 11:02 AM
So Schobel joins the Pats? We all knew they would be interested and can pay him. He didnt want to be here anymore so we let him go.

I'm not worried about losing him. I think he's easily replaceable at OLB and I think one of the guys will most likely be better than Schobel at OLB.

We could have traded him and got something out of him if he wanted to move.

DraftBoy
08-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm not worried about losing him. I think he's easily replaceable at OLB and I think one of the guys will most likely be better than Schobel at OLB.

We could have traded him and got something out of him if he wanted to move.

To whom and with what leverage?

Nix had already announced the team was moving on without him, so why would you if you were another GM offer anything for him?

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM
When did he actually say he was only interested in playing for Houston?

A guy has played in the NFL for ten years. He has never been on a playoff team.

He might have a chance to go to a perennial playoff team who can make and win the Super Bowl. Why would he not at least consider it?

Goobylal
08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
The Pats can want him all they, well, want. They won't get him. It's either the Texans (who suddenly have a greater need for him with the MW news) or retirement. But word is he's still deciding on whether to come back or not.

Jeff1220
08-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I used to be a pretty big Schobel fan, until that mic'd up segment on him when he was whining about being old and slow and getting beat until Kawika told him to just shut up. That was one of Mitchell's best moments as a Bill.

djjimkelly
08-09-2010, 11:21 AM
He knows the tendencies of Dicks offense, not Chans.

but then again most kids playing pop warner around the country knew dicks tendencies

madness
08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Schobel still deciding (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/09/schobel-still-deciding/)

By Chris Brown - Posted August 9, 2010 – 11:00 am
Aaron Schobel said he’d take a couple of more weeks to decide if he’s playing in 2010 or not for another NFL club. For now that timetable seems to be accurate.
Though Houston DE Mario Williams is still dealing with inflammation in his hip, which is keeping him out of action in the camp setting with the Texans, Schobel remains undecided about his playing future. As ESPN blogger Paul Kuharsky astutely points out, the longer he waits and the more time Williams misses, the higher Schobel’s price tag could climb (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/13724/mario-williams-off-for-second-opinion).
Kuharsky also notes that the Seahawks had expressed interest as well as the Patriots, but Houston in light of Schobel’s family situation appears to be the only serious consideration.

justasportsfan
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
To whom and with what leverage?

Nix had already announced the team was moving on without him, so why would you if you were another GM offer anything for him?

My problem is all his talk about how he's not sure if he wants to reitre, he wants to be close to his family. Thats turning out to be crap.

If the intent from the very begining was to play somewhere else then he should have stated that instead of dancing around like a ballerina.

DraftBoy
08-09-2010, 11:24 AM
My problem is all his talk about how he's not sure if he wants to reitre, he wants to be close to his family. Thats turning out to be crap.

If the intent from the very begining was to play somewhere else then he should have stated that instead of dancing around like a ballerina.

People lie who cares?

You get lied to every day whether you know it or not, it happens its not worth wasting time getting upset about.

mchurchfie
08-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Our offense is totally different now, a whole new reegime. A little smashmouth running to his side will take care of that. He never was all that great against the run. Draws used eat him up all of the time.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
People lie who cares?

You get lied to every day whether you know it or not, it happens its not worth wasting time getting upset about.

I respect DraftBoy's opinion!

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Did he ever actually say he only wanted to play near his family? And is there any interest on his side for the Pats?

DraftBoy
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I respect DraftBoy's opinion!

That's a first.

justasportsfan
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Did he ever actually say he only wanted to play near his family? And is there any interest on his side for the Pats?

it was implied. MY comments are based on IF the ends up with the pats.

DraftBoy
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
it was implied. MY comments are based on IF the ends up with the pats.

Implied how? This is the problem with people's interpretation, you are going beyond what he actually said and making it seem like he said things when he really didn't.

Goobylal
08-09-2010, 11:46 AM

He didn't lie. In the post above yours, Chris Brown talks about how Schobel still hasn't made up his mind on whether to return or not.

justasportsfan
08-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Implied how? This is the problem with people's interpretation, you are going beyond what he actually said and making it seem like he said things when he really didn't.

Schobel, 32, has 78 career sacks. He told the Houston Chronicle on Monday that the Texans would "without a doubt" be his top choice if he were a free agent. A native of Columbus, Texas, about an hour away from Houston, Schobel played under Texans defensive line coach Bill Kollar for three seasons (2006-08) in Buffalo.

I'm not saying he made it clear that he wanted to play for the texans and nowhere else. If he didn't want to play for the bills he could have told the bills from the very start . He could have at least informed the bills and maybe find a trde partner. If that failed then by all means, cut him . BUt don't go talking like you're all undecided and then run off to a rival once he's released.

I doubt he ends up with the Pats anyways but if he does, my opinion stands. He was full of crap.

DraftBoy
08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm not saying he made it clear that he wanted to play for the texans and nowhere else. If he didn't want to play for the bills he could have told the bills from the very start . He could have at least informed the bills and maybe find a trde partner. If that failed then by all means, cut him . BUt don't go talking like you're all undecided and then run off to a rival once he's released.

I doubt he ends up with the Pats anyways but if he does, my opinion stands. He was full of crap.

Im sorry but you're reaching for a reason to dislike him that flies in the face of what he actually said on this one.

justasportsfan
08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
He didn't lie. In the post above yours, Chris Brown talks about how Schobel still hasn't made up his mind on whether to return or not.

I know that he hasn't made up his mind. Just stating that I would tend to think he was full of crap if he sticks it to the bills and signs with a rival team that it wasn't about what was best for his family. It was all about HIM winning even if it meant sticking it to the bills.

Goobylal
08-09-2010, 11:49 AM

I agree. If he goes to the Pats, it was all a bunch of BS and he's a POS for stabbing the Bills in the back after treating him well financially and giving him his release. But I still say it's either the Texans or retirement.

Luisito23
08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
It's always been funny to me how fans always wish players good luck, and all the best when they leave. For me once someone leaves the Bills, I don't care, follow, nor want to hear anything about that person.

Mr. Miyagi
08-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Since when was Schobel a LB? I thought he was a DE for us.

OpIv37
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Since when was Schobel a LB? I thought he was a DE for us.

Patriots are a 3-4 team so he'd be an LB there. Texans are a 4-3 team so he'd be a DE there.

But it does seem weird that the article refers to him as an LB when he spent 10 years as a DE and 6 months where he skipped all the practices as an LB.

better days
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
It's always been funny to me how fans always wish players good luck, and all the best when they leave. For me once someone leaves the Bills, I don't care, follow, nor want to hear anything about that person.

I think it depends on how the player left the Bills. Pat Williams & Takeo Spikes wanted to be Bills so I will always wish them well.

Prov401
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I called this the day he was released.

psubills62
08-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Everyone knew the Pats would have interest in him. You said he'd sign there, which hasn't happened yet.

Goobylal
08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Who didn't call it? The Pats are notorious for feigning interest in a player, but only to drive up the price for him. And again, just because they're interested, it doesn't mean the feeling is mutual.

JCBills
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I still don't get why we released him, keep him on the reserved/retired list and if he wanted to go elsewhere then trade him. It's not like we have to worry about his hurting us against the cap since there is no cap. Yet before I say it someone will tell me Ralph isn't cheap.

Trade him with what leverage? When he publicly states things like "I'm not the athlete I used to be" and talks about how the passion just isn't there anymore, he has almost no value.

JCBills
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Well, he is that good, but he would still be making the switch at 32 years old.

He has never practiced against the new offense, so I'm not quite sure where that was going.

Prov401
08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Who didn't call it? The Pats are notorious for feigning interest in a player, but only to drive up the price for him. And again, just because they're interested, it doesn't mean the feeling is mutual.

Who didn't call it? I don't know..... You. You said he'd be a Texan. So, yea...

Goobylal
08-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Who didn't call it? I don't know..... You. You said he'd be a Texan. So, yea...
He WILL be a Texan, or retire. The Pats' alleged interest means nothing. But it wasn't unforeseen that the Pats would show interest in a player cut from a division rival who came off a decent season, if for no other reason than to drive up his asking price from the Texans.

Stewie
08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Patriots are a 3-4 team so he'd be an LB there. Texans are a 4-3 team so he'd be a DE there.

But it does seem weird that the article refers to him as an LB when he spent 10 years as a DE and 6 months where he skipped all the practices as an LB.

not really "Weird" as much as "ignorant writer"

Demon
08-10-2010, 01:52 AM

Screw him. I respect the Bills for doing what they did. The guy has been a defensive end his entire career, and now, misses all the meetings, misses all the off-season workouts and misses start of training camp and now tells us he may return? Screw him. He wasn't exactly the greatest defensive end in Bills history. He was horrid whenever he was double teamed and if he gets his jollies off by signing with the Pats, more power to him. Just because he puts their colors on doesn't mean he will come out and destroy us. Even our 3rd tier offensive linemen will be able to stop him.

justasportsfan
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
He has never practiced against the new offense, so I'm not quite sure where that was going.

HH thinks Clements, Pat Williams, Winfield, etc. knows our playbook too.