PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck

more cowbell
09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
This guy is without a doubt the most "NFL Ready" QB I have seen in recent memory.

He has a tremendous feel for the game, anticipates all of his throws extremely well, and best of all can scan the entire field better than any QB in the country with quick, decisive, accurate throws. He knows where he's going with the ball, and if it's not there he doesn't panic and will hit his second option or checkdown in stride.

Oh yeah, and playing in a pro stlye offense, being coached by a 15 year NFL QB cant be a bad thing either...

It's too bad he already came out and said wants to get a college degree and the NFL is the last thing on his mind. He sounds like a real smart, decisive kid. We'll see though. Figures it would be our luck to just miss out on him.

The announcers are comparing him to Peyton Manning, I don't know about that considering Peyton is in his own class, but one thing is for sure He is MILES ahead of Jake Locker...I don't care what any of the "experts" say

BillsWin
09-19-2010, 12:03 AM
I agree with you. I have always thought Locker was overrated though.

more cowbell
09-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I agree with you. I have always thought Locker was overrated though.

I personally think people are so high on Locker because he's "Tim Tebow...plus he can throw" - I've heard that comparison many times when it comes to him, although im not sure it's justified. I'm not against Locker...I just think in terms of an NFL prospect, Luck wins that battle.

gonzo1105
09-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I dont care what year Andrew Luck comes out you have to get him. You take Carimi next year if Luck isn't there and then next year Luck is your guy. You dont just force a pick because you have a need.

Akhippo
09-19-2010, 12:49 AM
This lockout may work for the Bills of all teams. From what i gather the draft stays the same during the lockout year. We get the first pick this year (unfortunately), and if he doesnt come out we pick BPA and wait till the following draft.

Watching this kid he is head and shoulders better than any QB ive seen this year. Ive watched all his games this year and THAT is what i want our QB to look and act like. Trent looks like the Stanford QB and Luck the NFLer.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-19-2010, 06:30 AM
He is ready:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t73pb1wOkhs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t73pb1wOkhs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Sorry, but this kid has to be in the discussion:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KdagmnnKUx0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KdagmnnKUx0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BillyT92679
09-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I think Mallett is every bit as good, if not a bit better than Luck.
Tremendous arm, great release, superb pre-snap reads.

elltrain22
09-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Andrew Luck is a star! I must admit, going into this college football season, I was pro Jake Locker, but after seeing this kid play so solidly for the past 3 weeks, I'm sold on this guy. He's smart, good pocket awareness, plus the ability to improvise w/ his feet on broken plays, extremely accurate, strong arm, and he's a cerebral passer. He would look great in a Bills unie.

Buckets
09-19-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't want another QB from Stanford...just saying

IAG
09-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Luck is the man.

Night Train
09-19-2010, 08:22 AM
I love how he archs the the deep ball high, allowing the WR to run under it and defeat tight coverage. So many "name" QB's cannot do that. Also seems to read the middle of the field well and doesn't stare down his primary targets. Gets rid of the ball quickly.

At this point, the board will wave the broad brush and rip a Stanford/California area QB. :rolleyes:

Night Train
09-19-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't want another QB from Stanford...just saying

Elway & Plunkett went to Stanford and both won 2 SB's...just saying.

Think beyond the end of your drool bucket.

Albany,n.y.
09-19-2010, 08:25 AM
This lockout may work for the Bills of all teams. From what i gather the draft stays the same during the lockout year. We get the first pick this year (unfortunately), and if he doesnt come out we pick BPA and wait till the following draft.

Watching this kid he is head and shoulders better than any QB ive seen this year. Ive watched all his games this year and THAT is what i want our QB to look and act like. Trent looks like the Stanford QB and Luck the NFLer.
There is going to be a football season in 2011. Stop with the lockout ending the season nonsense! Too many Bills fans are hockey fans and think the situation may mirror the NHL. There's no way the NFL situation is comparable to the NHL which was losing money & could throw away a season.
Plus-The NFL players are already voting to decertify the union so that a lockout would be illegal. So forget about no 2011 season because there will be one.
If we really want Luck, we'll have to suck until he gets his degree.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 08:27 AM
There is going to be a football season in 2011. Stop with the lockout ending the season nonsense! Too many Bills fans are hockey fans and think the situation may mirror the NHL. There's no way the NFL situation is comparable to the NHL which was losing money & could throw away a season.
Plus-The NFL players are already voting to decertify the union so that a lockout would be illegal. So forget about no 2011 season because there will be one.
If we really want Luck, we'll have to suck until he gets his degree.

He may be finishing early and could easily declare this year.

TedMock
09-19-2010, 08:31 AM
I personally think people are so high on Locker because he's "Tim Tebow...plus he can throw" - I've heard that comparison many times when it comes to him, although im not sure it's justified. I'm not against Locker...I just think in terms of an NFL prospect, Luck wins that battle.

Except Tebow was a consistent winner and leader.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Right now I think Andrew Luck will be drafted #1 overall. He still needs to show he can handle the pressure from good teams with good defenses, he also needs to show he can win big games this year. But, I think he will do both.

The big question is, will the Bills stink enough to be picking first?

And the even bigger question is whether we would ever try to trade up to get him if we deemed him as a franchise type QB?

With Mallett and possibly others looking good, we may be able to get a QB out of the #1 spot.

We have many needs and would seem to not be able to afford giving up pick(s) to move up. But, if you are convinced Luck is a franchise QB, and we so badly need one, maybe we make the move. I don't think its likely at all, but I do think its possible.

All of that assumes we arent picking #1.

Albany,n.y.
09-19-2010, 09:13 AM
He may be finishing early and could easily declare this year.
If the Bills get the top pick, Luck better come out because he's going to be a great one & I'd hate to suck & miss out on him.

TacklingDummy
09-19-2010, 09:21 AM

1) Yes

2) Not sure which one I'd pick, Mallett or Luck.

gonzo1105
09-19-2010, 09:36 AM
This is the point I'm trying to make for the Pro Mallett and Pro Luck fans. Andrew Luck is a Redshirt Sophmore people and he just looks absolutely dominate in the college games. At the same time Ryan Mallett seems to be dominate. The only problem is it took him until his Redshirt Senior year.

Mallett has been in the college game for 5 years and finally has turned it on. Luck has been in the college game for 3 year and is absolutely tearing it apart. Luck will continue to get better and so will Mallett but the two are at the same level right now. I'm thinkin in the long run that Luck will prove to be a better NFL QB as he continues to develop. I really think that Andrew Luck will turn out to the be the next great NFL QB.

I am also very tired of California and oh we can't take a guy from Cali or Stanford. I bet no one knows that Luck grew up in Texas and not California. I'm sure none of you would like Tom Brady or any other great QB from Cali. Have people ever thought that maybe we just choose the wrong California Quarterbacks?

justasportsfan
09-19-2010, 09:41 AM
If Luck can play futbol I already like him. Awesome footwork.

Buffalo Thriller
09-19-2010, 10:56 AM
If Luck was in another conference i think that he would be, "with out a doubt" the best QB in the Draft. Yet i still think Ryan Mallet or Locker is a far better pick.

DraftBoy
09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
He's been my top QB since before the season and right now while I like Mallett's improvement his 2nd half yesterday showed me why he is still behind Luck in many ways.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 12:02 PM
He's been my top QB since before the season and right now while I like Mallett's improvement his 2nd half yesterday showed me why he is still behind Luck in many ways.

Id agree with this assessment.

I can see Luck being drafted #1 overall and Mallett going between 5 and 15. All of that would require each to have strong showings against the tough teams in the future.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 05:49 PM
In the Luck sweepstakes, which assumes he declares and goes #1 (thats a lot of if's):

The Browns, Hawks, Raiders, and Bills all need QB's and look like they will have poor years.

-Out of that the Browns have a ruthless schedule. They could go win-less. Would they throw in the towel on McCoy for Luck?

-The Raiders have an easier schedule and I think they may win soem games, maybe 4 -7.

-The Hawks already have a win and a fairly easy schedule. I could see them getting 5-7 wins.

-The Rams wont take a QB.

-The Niners will win enough to be out of the picture.

-The Lions wont take one.

-The Jags already have a win and have several win-able games. They could end up with 4-7 wins.

-The Panthers probably wont take one after drafting Clausen and they have some winnable games... they could go 4-6 wins.

So, out of the bottom dwellers, the Browns are the most likely team to be A) win-less or only a 2-3 win team and B) QB hunting.

IMO, at this very early point, its the Bills vs. the Browns. Sucks to be forced to be thinking about this.

mrbojanglezs
09-19-2010, 05:59 PM
we need to pray/hope/whatever that he declares this year!!!!

X-Era
09-19-2010, 06:01 PM
we need to pray/hope/whatever that he declares this year!!!!

I wont say he's the only guy Id be happy with. But, based on what we know so far, he's a guy that I sure would like to see in a Bills uni.

hydro
09-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I have a crush on him already. Can't wait to see him playing on tv more in the next few weeks against some real competition.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
I have a crush on him already. Can't wait to see him playing on tv more in the next few weeks against some real competition.

The question is will we have the #1 pick?

hydro
09-19-2010, 06:17 PM
The question is will we have the #1 pick?

From the look of this team right now? YES. Or at least top 3. In that case hopefully 1 or 2 don't have a need for a QB.

I just hope it isn't all for not, if he doesn't declare :(

PA Bills Fan
09-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Right now I think Andrew Luck will be drafted #1 overall. He still needs to show he can handle the pressure from good teams with good defenses, he also needs to show he can win big games this year. But, I think he will do both.

And the even bigger question is whether we would ever try to trade up to get him if we deemed him as a franchise type QB?

With Mallett and possibly others looking good, we may be able to get a QB out of the #1 spot.

We have many needs and would seem to not be able to afford giving up pick(s) to move up. But, if you are convinced Luck is a franchise QB, and we so badly need one, maybe we make the move. I don't think its likely at all, but I do think its possible.

All of that assumes we arent picking #1.

Take your first paragraph and change Andrew Luck to Trent Edwards. Wow, it's deja vu all over again.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Take your first paragraph and change Andrew Luck to Trent Edwards. Wow, it's deja vu all over again.

Huh?

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Mallet was great last year. He also had to sit out a year with his transfer from Michigan.

Mr. Pink
09-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Mallett has impressed me since his departure from Michigan...he looked absolutely clueless as a Wolverine.

Locker screwed himself out of millions by not declaring last year...I dare say to the extent Jevan Snead did.

Luck is easily the creme of the crop of the race to the number 1 pick.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2010, 06:52 PM
There's no guarantee Andrew Luck is not going to end up like Brian Brohm... and we already have Brohm on the roster for what will probably be a lot less money than Luck will cost.

Akhippo
09-19-2010, 07:07 PM
My only brightspot to this year is the possibility that we can get a franchise QB for a first, and that its hopefully Luck.

Akhippo
09-19-2010, 07:12 PM
There's no guarantee Andrew Luck is not going to end up like Brian Brohm... and we already have Brohm on the roster for what will probably be a lot less money than Luck will cost.

Thats the most useless logic ive read in a while. So Luck is going to be a second round pick? Is that the connection we are going for?

hydro
09-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Is there a lack of oxygen in Missouri? Because this makes no sense to me at all.

X-Era
09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Is there a lack of oxygen in Missouri? Because this makes no sense to me at all.

I hope not, Im a fan of Blaine Gabbert! :up:

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Thats the most useless logic ive read in a while. So Luck is going to be a second round pick? Is that the connection we are going for?
The buzz on Brohm was nearly identical to that on Luck, and rightfully so, coming out of his junior year, and everyone expected him to declare. He didn't, and returned to college-- where he subsequently went 6-6, ended up in the 2nd round, and then kicked to the curb in favor of a seventh-rounder after one year. And now he's here.

Just because they have a good junior year doesn't mean they're going to be good after that. Alex Smith is an example of one who declared and hasn't panned out so far (though he's getting better as of late, thanks to an incredibly weak division).

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Ugh... apparently this whole concept of "obviously fake places" isn't reaching people's heads. There are no Navajos, nor hills, in Missouri, which is in the plains.

Similarly, there are no Cherokees, nor flats, in Maine, the headend of the Appalachians.

I live in Western New York. The fake name is a way to avoid saying where I live-- it's a measure of anonymity.

Now I've got to move to Iroquois Ocean Coast, Wyoming. Grr...

X-Era
09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
The buzz on Brohm was nearly identical to that on Luck, and rightfully so, coming out of his junior year, and everyone expected him to declare. He didn't, and returned to college-- where he subsequently went 6-6, ended up in the 2nd round, and then kicked to the curb in favor of a seventh-rounder after one year. And now he's here.

Just because they have a good junior year doesn't mean they're going to be good after that. Alex Smith is an example of one who declared and hasn't panned out so far (though he's getting better as of late, thanks to an incredibly weak division).

I was a Brohm fan out of college, and having watched both, Luck is a much better prospect IMO.

Nighthawk
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
1) Yes

2) Not sure which one I'd pick, Mallett or Luck.

Luck looks like the best QB since Peyton Manning and that is saying something. He loves the game and they have a very complex system with many different packages that he has been able to handle with no problem. He just sounds like a clone of Manning...