PDA

View Full Version : Maybin VS Matthews

DesertFox24
09-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Aaron Maybin is listed on NFL.com as 6'4 250 born 4/6/1988

Clay Matthews is listed on NFL.com as 6'3 255 born 5/14/1986

I am not saying that Aaron Maybin is ever going to be as good as Clay but it should be noted that the same age as Maybin Matthews was still in college starting for the first time.

My hope is that Maybin saw Matthews and realizes he needs to get stronger, but next year for Maybin he would be same age as Matthews was his rookie year.

I guess in other words I am saying lets not write him off just yet, but no doubt I feel the frustration of drafting him in the first place and agree. I would have rather had Oher I was not a fan of Orakpo personally.

ddaryl
09-22-2010, 07:32 AM
we can hope... but it still indicates that maybin was alaways a huge project and had no business being drafted in the 1st rd by a team desperate for starters.

That being said just put Maybin out on the field more often and let him get his experience...

Worse case scenario we end up drafting 1st overall next year.

OpIv37
09-22-2010, 08:02 AM
the flaw in the comparison is that Maybin is LISTED at 250. In reality he's not even close. If he's 250 then Poz is 300.

trapezeus
09-22-2010, 08:27 AM
i'm not positive on this, but i'm guessing matthews spent most of his college ball as a LB. Maybin came out early as a defensive end. and then switched.

also, let's not forget that steve tasker was listed at 5'10 in his playing days. this is Op's point, but i figured i'd make it as well.

ddaryl
09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
the flaw in the comparison is that Maybin is LISTED at 250. In reality he's not even close. If he's 250 then Poz is 300.

yeah mathews looks considerably larger then Maybin

psubills62
09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
i'm not positive on this, but i'm guessing matthews spent most of his college ball as a LB. Maybin came out early as a defensive end. and then switched.

also, let's not forget that steve tasker was listed at 5'10 in his playing days. this is Op's point, but i figured i'd make it as well.

You're correct. USC also used a significant number of 3-4 defensive formations when Matthews was a senior.

DesertFox, I agree with you. I understand why people are pissed about drafting Maybin, I've said many times that I didn't understand the pick either. He still deserves some time to develop. That being said, he has pretty much no chance of getting to Matthews' level of ability.

And Op, I'm not sure the weight is the flaw. The point of DF's post was the age.

Thief
09-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Does anyone think Matthews might be on roids?

dannyek71
09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
My 2 month old niece and Ralph Wilson crap their pants the same number of times each day. I do not expect her to ever own an NFL team.

Just sayin...........

billsfanryan
09-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Does anyone think Maybin was on roids to get as jacked up as he was pre-draft just to shrink back down to a worthless pos now?

Novacane
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Maybin will never be as good as Matthews is now. No matter how young he is we should see flashes now and then if he's going to be good. We have not seen it. He's invisible. Best case scenerio he turns into an ok player that was drafted way to high ala Whitner.

Jaybird
09-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Let's move on please.... we know Maybin Sucks!!

RoscoeMagic
09-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Matthews had more sacks in a week two game than Maybin will have in a weak two years.

Mad Max
09-22-2010, 09:20 AM

No, he's on something much more potent called "talent".

Too bad Maybin's not on the same juice.

OpIv37
09-22-2010, 09:45 AM
He went to USC, so.... Yes.

BertSquirtgum
09-22-2010, 09:51 AM
maybin sucks

DesertFox24
09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Maybin has been a gross disappointment to this point but I am willing to give the guy the rest of this year and some next year before I say bust.

I believe if he can learn the position and get stouter he could be a very solid player for us in coverage and rushing the passer.

Beebe's Kid
09-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Two years will make a big difference to Maybin...

I've said it a bunch of times, I don't remember where I read it, but if you think about for 20 seconds, it should make sense. Maybin has talent, he doesn't have the size. He is fighting his metabolism. He can't keep weight on. The guy has a build that he can add muscle quickly, but can't keep it.

He has been showing improvement with technique, which will help when he matures another year or two, and begins to be able to keep on weight.

HGH would be great form him...of course many here know Maybin is/was on juice...I just wish he took enough to look like one of the USC linebackers.

Should we have drafted him...no. Was he the best pick...no. We could have had __________, we all know (the blank is because now that Matthews is shining, he is the hot name, but Orakpo, and Cushing have both been there before.) Is he on the Bills...yes.

Unfortunately a project team drafted a project player, and we'll have to wait to see if he pans out. We have already been waiting for 10 years, so more waiting is a hard pill to swallow.

I just wish he was able to gain experience. You have to be on the field to do that. If you aren't making mistakes, your not taking enough chances...Maybin is going to make mistakes, but he should learn and grow because of them. If that coincides with his physical maturity, we could have a dominate player. If not, he's a bust. I am for waiting to see.

If two years from now, Maybin is force to be reckoned with, and Matthews blows a knee...who is farther ahead? I just got a phone call from Bob Sanders, and he said guys that taking roids will help you look great, get you the contract, then you break down way too early.

We got nothing but time, right?

BillsWin
09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Maybin is real young and coming out of college he was undersized. Add in the fact that he is just now learning the linebacker position. I wouldnt be surprised if Maybin excells late this season and moving forward. I also wouldnt be surprised if hes a bust. He has the speed, he had the work ethic and talent. He needs to add size, strength and counter moves to his speed rush.

stuckincincy
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM

I just wish he was able to gain experience. You have to be on the field to do that. If you aren't making mistakes, your not taking enough chances...Maybin is going to make mistakes, but he should learn and grow because of them. If that coincides with his physical maturity, we could have a dominate player. If not, he's a bust. I am for waiting to see.

For some reason, the defensive coaching staff is judicious in putting him in games. I would guess that since they see him in practice throughout the week, they perceive him as more a liability and less as an asset. He held out and missed camp time, but now has a season and a full camp under his belt.

I think that because BUF paid 1st round $, they are stuck with him.

psubills62
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Another thing to mention is that, from what I've seen, our defense hasn't been terribly creative. How often have we had Maybin on the field and he drops into coverage? How many times have we blitzed guys standing up? How often have we disguised blitzes and rushed a bunch of people?

Maybe I haven't paid as much attention, but there seems to be way too many times when our defense looks like the bland rush-four-guys-hope-they-reach-the-passer defense of Perry Fewell. I don't know if Maybin would be any better in a defense that disguises itself more, but I wish they would use more creative blitzes once in a while.

Mad Max
09-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Another thing to mention is that, from what I've seen, our defense hasn't been terribly creative. How often have we had Maybin on the field and he drops into coverage? How many times have we blitzed guys standing up? How often have we disguised blitzes and rushed a bunch of people?

Maybe I haven't paid as much attention, but there seems to be way too many times when our defense looks like the bland rush-four-guys-hope-they-reach-the-passer defense of Perry Fewell. I don't know if Maybin would be any better in a defense that disguises itself more, but I wish they would use more creative blitzes once in a while.

More exotic blitz packages would be nice to be sure, but a true stud DE (rush LB) has the ability to beat his man straight up. Clock's ticking on Maybin to become one of those guys.

starrymessenger
09-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Maybin will never be as good as Matthews is now. No matter how young he is we should see flashes now and then if he's going to be good. We have not seen it. He's invisible. Best case scenerio he turns into an ok player that was drafted way to high ala Whitner.Best case is he has a sex change and morphs into a Jill. He'd be a great cheerleader.

Ingtar33
09-22-2010, 08:35 PM

of course he is. most USC players are/were at some point in time.

Billz_fan
09-22-2010, 08:42 PM

I've said it a bunch of times, I don't remember where I read it, but if you think about for 20 seconds, it should make sense. Maybin has talent, he doesn't have the size. He is fighting his metabolism. He can't keep weight on. The guy has a build that he can add muscle quickly, but can't keep it.

He has been showing improvement with technique, which will help when he matures another year or two, and begins to be able to keep on weight.

HGH would be great form him...of course many here know Maybin is/was on juice...I just wish he took enough to look like one of the USC linebackers.

Should we have drafted him...no. Was he the best pick...no. We could have had __________, we all know (the blank is because now that Matthews is shining, he is the hot name, but Orakpo, and Cushing have both been there before.) Is he on the Bills...yes.

Unfortunately a project team drafted a project player, and we'll have to wait to see if he pans out. We have already been waiting for 10 years, so more waiting is a hard pill to swallow.

If two years from now, Maybin is force to be reckoned with, and Matthews blows a knee...who is farther ahead? I just got a phone call from Bob Sanders, and he said guys that taking roids will help you look great, get you the contract, then you break down way too early.

We got nothing but time, right?

There is no way that Maybin at his current pace is even in football in 2 years. what I mean is, if this kid does not start to see the field this season or full time next season he will become a cut. They are not going to continue to pay this kid 1st round pick money and let him ride the pine for 2 more years it just doen't make sense. He is gonna have to play bottom line. If they continue to not play him it means he just isn't capable for whatever reason and he will be gone and loses cut.

doomsdayvirus
09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
idk about the steroids, i just looked at photos from the game and he doesn't look ridiculously built, just solid. poz looks bigger.

Eventually
09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I agree sort of. Maybin was touted as a project, and IMO and many others projects are for rounds later than the first. All DJ and co. saw was a guy who had a phenomenal first step, and was lights out fast for his position. What they failed to comprehend was a team running a 4-3, which we were, should never have even thought of drafting this kid UNLESS they had it in their plan to eventually switch to the 3-4 and by that time the kid would be ready, the faulty logic with that is that I'm sure the Bills from last year didn't think that far in advance, even so better options were still on the board.

In comparing this bad pick with what could have been, I don't even question the Matthews pick at all. Sure he's playing like the best LB in the game right now, and was in the running for DROY last year, but really he was projected by virtually everyone going into the draft last year as a later first round pick. His teammate Cushing was the linebacker that should have been selected, modrak even wanted him, but even with him question marks were there.

Orakpo should have been the pick if they had to go defense with that pick. Really was a no brainer, and for whatever the reason it was faulty logic at best. He could have easily helped us last year as well as this year after the switch. He was the most ready and played like it.

Oher should have been the pick if they wanted to go offense, which IMO they should have and feel egos got in the way here big time. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like they traded peters for a late first and some change giving up what at the time most of the league recognized as a pro bowl level LT in peters, so in OBD's twisted view of the game, they felt that if they chose Oher with that pick people would have said they forced their own hand taking one early instead of paying the one they already had. Instead they chose defense in order to say yeah, we know more than you, we're set at LT anyhow, no really we are, it's the interior that needs work, and they played that card the whole draft.

Bottom line, saying Matthews would have been a better pick, sure it would have, but it NEVER was going to happen not with the bills or any other team when they picked. But you could say this same thing when comparing virtually any of the players we passed up by selecting Maybin, and now all we can do is hope he can one day be someone that can contribute, and develop each year until he's actually ready to go full steam--exactly what a project player does.

Big hypothetical here though is we are talking about Buffalo. If Maybin does eventually progress, after years of "embezzlement" and such, and finally become a really good player, the Bills will never be willing to pay him at that point, and feel that he owes them a modest second contract for the years they invested in him, and he'll walk... Just my five cents.

Buffalo Thriller
09-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Maybin looks like hes a biscuit shy of 230..