Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybin VS Matthews

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybin VS Matthews

Aaron Maybin is listed on NFL.com as 6'4 250 born 4/6/1988

Clay Matthews is listed on NFL.com as 6'3 255 born 5/14/1986

I am not saying that Aaron Maybin is ever going to be as good as Clay but it should be noted that the same age as Maybin Matthews was still in college starting for the first time.

My hope is that Maybin saw Matthews and realizes he needs to get stronger, but next year for Maybin he would be same age as Matthews was his rookie year.

I guess in other words I am saying lets not write him off just yet, but no doubt I feel the frustration of drafting him in the first place and agree. I would have rather had Oher I was not a fan of Orakpo personally.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Maybin VS Matthews

we can hope... but it still indicates that maybin was alaways a huge project and had no business being drafted in the 1st rd by a team desperate for starters.

That being said just put Maybin out on the field more often and let him get his experience...

Worse case scenario we end up drafting 1st overall next year.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,394 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the flaw in the comparison is that Maybin is LISTED at 250. In reality he's not even close. If he's 250 then Poz is 300.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i'm not positive on this, but i'm guessing matthews spent most of his college ball as a LB. Maybin came out early as a defensive end. and then switched.

also, let's not forget that steve tasker was listed at 5'10 in his playing days. this is Op's point, but i figured i'd make it as well.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    the flaw in the comparison is that Maybin is LISTED at 250. In reality he's not even close. If he's 250 then Poz is 300.
    yeah mathews looks considerably larger then Maybin

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    i'm not positive on this, but i'm guessing matthews spent most of his college ball as a LB. Maybin came out early as a defensive end. and then switched.

also, let's not forget that steve tasker was listed at 5'10 in his playing days. this is Op's point, but i figured i'd make it as well.
    You're correct. USC also used a significant number of 3-4 defensive formations when Matthews was a senior.

DesertFox, I agree with you. I understand why people are pissed about drafting Maybin, I've said many times that I didn't understand the pick either. He still deserves some time to develop. That being said, he has pretty much no chance of getting to Matthews' level of ability.

And Op, I'm not sure the weight is the flaw. The point of DF's post was the age.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Does anyone think Matthews might be on roids?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My 2 month old niece and Ralph Wilson crap their pants the same number of times each day. I do not expect her to ever own an NFL team.

Just sayin...........
    Last edited by dannyek71; 09-22-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    [

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thief
    Does anyone think Maybin was on roids to get as jacked up as he was pre-draft just to shrink back down to a worthless pos now?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,492 Times in 7,331 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybin will never be as good as Matthews is now. No matter how young he is we should see flashes now and then if he's going to be good. We have not seen it. He's invisible. Best case scenerio he turns into an ok player that was drafted way to high ala Whitner.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Let's move on please.... we know Maybin Sucks!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Matthews had more sacks in a week two game than Maybin will have in a weak two years.
    Internet Breeds Complacency.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No, he's on something much more potent called "talent".

Too bad Maybin's not on the same juice.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,394 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He went to USC, so.... Yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

maybin sucks

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybin has been a gross disappointment to this point but I am willing to give the guy the rest of this year and some next year before I say bust.

I believe if he can learn the position and get stouter he could be a very solid player for us in coverage and rushing the passer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Two years will make a big difference to Maybin...

I've said it a bunch of times, I don't remember where I read it, but if you think about for 20 seconds, it should make sense. Maybin has talent, he doesn't have the size. He is fighting his metabolism. He can't keep weight on. The guy has a build that he can add muscle quickly, but can't keep it.

He has been showing improvement with technique, which will help when he matures another year or two, and begins to be able to keep on weight.

HGH would be great form him...of course many here know Maybin is/was on juice...I just wish he took enough to look like one of the USC linebackers.

Should we have drafted him...no. Was he the best pick...no. We could have had __________, we all know (the blank is because now that Matthews is shining, he is the hot name, but Orakpo, and Cushing have both been there before.) Is he on the Bills...yes.

Unfortunately a project team drafted a project player, and we'll have to wait to see if he pans out. We have already been waiting for 10 years, so more waiting is a hard pill to swallow.

I just wish he was able to gain experience. You have to be on the field to do that. If you aren't making mistakes, your not taking enough chances...Maybin is going to make mistakes, but he should learn and grow because of them. If that coincides with his physical maturity, we could have a dominate player. If not, he's a bust. I am for waiting to see.

If two years from now, Maybin is force to be reckoned with, and Matthews blows a knee...who is farther ahead? I just got a phone call from Bob Sanders, and he said guys that taking roids will help you look great, get you the contract, then you break down way too early.

We got nothing but time, right?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybin is real young and coming out of college he was undersized. Add in the fact that he is just now learning the linebacker position. I wouldnt be surprised if Maybin excells late this season and moving forward. I also wouldnt be surprised if hes a bust. He has the speed, he had the work ethic and talent. He needs to add size, strength and counter moves to his speed rush.
    I am The Batman.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Beebe's Kid
    Two years will make a big difference to Maybin...

I just wish he was able to gain experience. You have to be on the field to do that. If you aren't making mistakes, your not taking enough chances...Maybin is going to make mistakes, but he should learn and grow because of them. If that coincides with his physical maturity, we could have a dominate player. If not, he's a bust. I am for waiting to see.

For some reason, the defensive coaching staff is judicious in putting him in games. I would guess that since they see him in practice throughout the week, they perceive him as more a liability and less as an asset. He held out and missed camp time, but now has a season and a full camp under his belt.

I think that because BUF paid 1st round $, they are stuck with him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Another thing to mention is that, from what I've seen, our defense hasn't been terribly creative. How often have we had Maybin on the field and he drops into coverage? How many times have we blitzed guys standing up? How often have we disguised blitzes and rushed a bunch of people?

Maybe I haven't paid as much attention, but there seems to be way too many times when our defense looks like the bland rush-four-guys-hope-they-reach-the-passer defense of Perry Fewell. I don't know if Maybin would be any better in a defense that disguises itself more, but I wish they would use more creative blitzes once in a while.