PDA

View Full Version : Penalties/ Discipline

Figster
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
A very interesting stat I thought folks would like to know about which in my opinion is often the signs of a very well coached football team.

The Buffalo Bills have went from 6th worse in the NFL in penalty's per game last season, averaging 6.7 penalties, to 3rd best averaging 4.9 penalties per game. Only Miami (4.0) and Atlanta (4.3) have a better ranking.

Another interesting observation is that most teams ranking high in this category are playoff caliber/ some of the best teams in the NFL.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game

Bufftp
11-04-2010, 11:49 AM
It's even more impressive for coaching staff considering that we are often out manned physically and talent wise.

Northern Stampede
11-04-2010, 11:52 AM
That statistic speaks VOLUMES about this coaching staff.. They are doing the right things, there really just is not alot of physical and mental ability and talent on this football team. Hopefully they can parlay the great job coaching ( IMO ) they have done with what they have, into a great draft and continue to build for the future the right way... But to be rated that high in that stat... The coaches are doing they're job.

Ickybaluky
11-04-2010, 11:58 AM
The only problem with that theory is the Bills prior to 2009 were among the least penalized teams going and it didn't translate on the field.

In 2008, the Bills had the 2nd fewest penalties in the NFL.

In 2007, the Bills had the 7th fewest penalties in the NFL.

In 2006, the Bills had the 8th fewest penalties in the NFL.

Does that mean the Bills were "well coached" those years? The way people here talk of Jauron, most would say no.

There is more that goes into it than penalties. Jacksonville had the fewest penalties in the NFL a year ago. Green Bay had the most. which was the better team?

The King
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
There is more that goes into it than penalties. Jacksonville had the fewest penalties in the NFL a year ago. Green Bay had the most. which was the better team?

Agreed but for a team in transition not shooting yourself in the foot is certainly a plus.

Northern Stampede
11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I'll give you that... You make a good point... Just saying ( IMO, and from a coaching perspective, as I too coach..) It looks to me like the Bills are SLOWLY starting to become a different team, as far as technical play goes. They are starting to do some of the right things, not all but some, and cutting down on penalties is a big one. Just looks to me from my armchair that the team is playing football now, and not pretending to. We just lack alot of physical and mental ability and talent, like I said above.. But we'll get there... And then NE better watch out... lol.. :D

Figster
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
The only problem with that theory is the Bills prior to 2009 were among the least penalized teams going and it didn't translate on the field.

Does that mean the Bills were "well coached" those years? The way people here talk of Jauron, most would say no.

Fewer penalties/disciplined is not going to make up for the lack of talent/experience on the win loss column, but it does however signify good coaching in my opinion.

Drafting and FA signing has been one of Buffalo's biggest problems in the past in my opinion. (poor management)

ddaryl
11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
but I thought it was already decided that Gailey sucks because he didn't turn this team into a winner in less then a 1/2 a season ?

confused, because in politics and sports instant gratification is the only form of acceptable measurement

however my recollection of 2006 - 2008 was a team taking lots of stupid penalties. Stupid penalties have definitley been reduced this year from what i can tell. Not eliminated but reduced

justasportsfan
11-04-2010, 12:23 PM
the problem with the few penalties we've had is that they came in critical situations that cost us bigtime.

Figster
11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
the problem with the few penalties we've had is that they came in critical situations that caused us bigtime.

The Bills are tied for 1st place in not giving up opponent penalty first downs per game.(0.4)

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-penalty-first-downs-per-game

better days
11-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Good point. I think this goes to show that discipline is only one aspect of coaching, but most well coached teams are also well disciplined teams as well.

trapezeus
11-04-2010, 01:17 PM
the problem with the few penalties we've had is that they came in critical situations that caused us bigtime.

this was the same problem with the other jauron teams. his teams would take early in the game 3rd down penalties on decent drives. He would constantly have teams getting in 3rd and long or giving up first downs on 3rd downs.

maybe they weren't a lot of penalties, but they were killer.

it does feel like the penalties are down, especially in the last two games.

but the bills still don't take the bull by the horns. in the ravens game, they could have salted that game away with a 14-0 lead, but kicked a field goal in the redzone. that's a hallmark for the last 10 years.

Figster
11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Good point. I think this goes to show that discipline is only one aspect of coaching, but most well coached teams are also well disciplined teams as well.

It is a very good point and after further review I find from a disciplined/penalty standpoint the Buffalo Bills for the most part have done well over the last few years with the exception of the 2009 season.

2009's poor statics on the penalty side of the equation can probably be contributed for the most part to a very inexperienced O-line.

The last buffalo fan
11-04-2010, 02:25 PM
this was the same problem with the other jauron teams. his teams would take early in the game 3rd down penalties on decent drives. He would constantly have teams getting in 3rd and long or giving up first downs on 3rd downs.

maybe they weren't a lot of penalties, but they were killer.

it does feel like the penalties are down, especially in the last two games.

but the bills still don't take the bull by the horns. in the ravens game, they could have salted that game away with a 14-0 lead, but kicked a field goal in the redzone. that's a hallmark for the last 10 years.

I wasn't a Jauron's decisions fan in the redzone, but he always went for the FG no matter what team we were facing. Against the Ravens, I'll take the points in every single oportunity because you may not have many of this.

imbondz
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
How can an 0-7 team be a 'very well coached team'. :crazy: I know it's not all coaching, but I could care less about stats until we start to win a game or two

better days
11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
How can an 0-7 team be a 'very well coached team'. :crazy: I know it's not all coaching, but I could care less about stats until we start to win a game or two

Well, as Raheem Morris says "stats are for losers" so this the time to care about stats. When the Bills start winning, they won't matter.

Figster
11-04-2010, 04:45 PM

The Buffalo Bills brought in a new GM and just had a complete coaching change from top to bottom. Along with it a complete systems change on offense and defense. I'm sure some of us, myself included had high aspirations, but lets be realistic here. The new GM and coaching staff took on a football team that ranked close to last in all categories and basically started from scratch.

On the other end of the spectrum when it comes to penalties is the Dallas Cowboys. Many thought the Cowboys would be a Superbowl contender. The teams loaded with talent in all phases of the game. One of the Cowboys biggest problems however is playing undisciplined/sloppy football. The Dallas Cowboys rank 4th worse when it comes to penalty yards per game and 1st on the road.

Is it the difference between winning and losing football games you might ask, in most cases probably not, although there are exceptions. On the other hand when a team keeps from making those kind of mistakes/penalties its an indication coaches are doing everything they can to field a better football team.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 03:41 AM

I love how someone tried to spin what we're doing now in penalties as a positive and sign of a good coaching staff...yet they completely forget what the team did under Jauron, who almost everyone states is the worst coach ever.

Good post NE.

TigerJ
11-05-2010, 07:07 AM
When I read the first post, I seemed to remember that early on in Jauron's tenure the Bills had a very low number of penalties. Fortunately, NE looked it up, saving me the trouble. What Jauron's record shows, however, is that his first year was the best, penalty-wise, and the ranking went steadily downhill, albeit very gradually until the 2009 season. I wonder if what that shows is a coach slowly losing his team, and by 2009 the team had lost pretty much all discipline and respect for the coach.

By the same token, it's great that penalties are down this season (as are injuries by the way) but we really need to see what happens as a trend over the next couple years. Do those stats continue to improve, or at least hold steady, or do they show the slippage that they did under Jauron?

Figster
11-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I love how someone tried to spin what we're doing now in penalties as a positive and sign of a good coaching staff...yet they completely forget what the team did under Jauron, who almost everyone states is the worst coach ever.

Good post NE.

Chan Gailey : I believe in toughness and discipline...

Funny how something a teams doing well can be spun in a negative direction, especially when a team like the Dallas Cowboys is a great example of what happens to an undisciplined penalty ridden football team.

Did anyone say playing penalty free football is enough? Its been clearly pointed out that it takes more then playing disciplined football to win football games.(we are 0-7) It doesn't make the scheming/ play calling better or boost the talent level, and playing penalty free football doesn't magically give you experience/knowledge of the new systems.

The difference between DJ and CG is Gailey is coming in with a brand new coaching staff, new system and is taking over one of the most inexperienced , untalented O-lines in the history of the Buffalo Bills. Yet Gailey has the Buffalo Bills playing near the top of the league when it comes to playing penalty free football.

Lets say you are good in golf fun times, myself, not so good (true story) we both drive the ball equally well and are both capable of staying on the fairway and hitting the greens. My putting on the other hand is horrible and yours is good so naturally your score ends up being much better then mine.

Does it make any sense to say to me, "dog, driving the ball well doesn't matter because your final score is still going to be way over par anyway" does that make sense to you?

Your argument is bogus...

justasportsfan
11-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Chan Gailey : I believe in toughness and discipline...

Funny how something a teams doing well can be spun in a negative direction, especially when a team like the Dallas Cowboys is a great example of what happens to an undisciplined penalty ridden football team.

Did anyone say playing penalty free football is enough? Its been clearly pointed out that it takes more then playing disciplined football to win football games.(we are 0-7) It doesn't make the scheming/ play calling better or boost the talent level, and playing penalty free football doesn't magically give you experience/knowledge of the new systems.

The difference between DJ and CG is Gailey is coming in with a brand new coaching staff, new system and is taking over one of the most inexperienced , untalented O-lines in the history of the Buffalo Bills. Yet Gailey has the Buffalo Bills playing near the top of the league when it comes to playing penalty free football.

Lets say you are good in golf fun times, myself, not so good (true story) we both drive the ball equally well and are both capable of staying on the fairway and hitting the greens. My putting on the other hand is horrible and yours is good so naturally your score ends up being much better then mine.

Does it make any sense to say to me, "dog, driving the ball well doesn't matter because your final score is still going to be way over par anyway" does that make sense to you?

Your argument is bogus...

FTY is a Browns fan