PDA

View Full Version : I Hate to Tell Some of You...

Jan Reimers
11-22-2010, 05:17 AM
But we hit rock bottom after our loss to Jacksonville, right before our bye week. Since then, we have lost 3 games by 3 points (2 in overtime), and won our last 2. The way we are playing, WE WILL NOT HAVE THE FIRST OVERALL DRAFT PICK.

And I'm glad. I'll take the wins, and I'll take our chances of drafting a quality guy with our 3rd, or 5th, or whatever pick.

The way Fitz is playing, we don't have to reach for a QB. He is probably not our long term solution, but if the QB we really like isn't there, we can live with him for a year or two and draft defensive front 7 players, which we desperately need. In fact, we might be able to trade down more easily and get additional help.

And we don't have as many holes to fill on offense as we once thought, with some of our young O-linemen developing, and our WR corps looking better every week.

I know we bottomed out sooner than some of you would have liked, and we won't be 0-16, and we probably won't be able to pick the mystical and magical Andrew Luck. But I'll take winning a few, developing our offensive guys, getting this team some confidence, and drafting defense, defense, defense every time.

Romes
11-22-2010, 05:34 AM
I'll take the wins. Ultimately the main players on our team next year will be the guys we have this year, so its important that they play well together.

Rookies are nice and fun but they rarely make the difference between an average team and a playoff team.

TacklingDummy
11-22-2010, 05:51 AM
The way we are playing, WE WILL NOT HAVE THE FIRST OVERALL DRAFT PICK.

Those dreaming of Luck can forget about it. The Bills can concentrate on defense. Or possible draft Mallet.

YardRat
11-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Well said.

Dujek
11-22-2010, 06:15 AM
There are no sure things in the draft, other than the fact that a #1 pick costs a huge amount of money with no guarantee of performance.

Winning can become a habit, so it's better to try and win as many games between now and the end of the season than to lose out just to get a higher pick.

Jeff1220
11-22-2010, 06:21 AM
If Fitz can continue to play the way he has played, he'd probably keep any would-be-rookie on the bench anyway. I still think they should draft a QB, but it's definitely not as urgent.
If anything, this could bode well for drafting an extremely talented but slightly raw QB who would benefit from a couple of seasons learning and getting used to NFL speed as a #2 (like Aaron Rogers did).

Figster
11-22-2010, 06:33 AM
There are no sure things in the draft, other than the fact that a #1 pick costs a huge amount of money with no guarantee of performance.

Winning can become a habit, so it's better to try and win as many games between now and the end of the season than to lose out just to get a higher pick.

Andrew Luck could be an exception to the rule, the guy looks like the second coming of Peyton Manning, but that ship has probably sailed,

Mallet , Newton, Locker maybe...

Novacane
11-22-2010, 06:44 AM
I just hope they keep winning. It's fun.

DraftBoy
11-22-2010, 07:39 AM
I got no issue whatsoever with winning, you always try and win.

k-oneputt
11-22-2010, 08:16 AM
If Fitz can continue to play the way he has played, he'd probably keep any would-be-rookie on the bench anyway. I still think they should draft a QB, but it's definitely not as urgent.
If anything, this could bode well for drafting an extremely talented but slightly raw QB who would benefit from a couple of seasons learning and getting used to NFL speed as a #2 (like Aaron Rogers did).

That qb is Locker.

DesertFox24
11-22-2010, 08:20 AM
But we hit rock bottom after our loss to Jacksonville, right before our bye week. Since then, we have lost 3 games by 3 points (2 in overtime), and won our last 2. The way we are playing, WE WILL NOT HAVE THE FIRST OVERALL DRAFT PICK.

And I'm glad. I'll take the wins, and I'll take our chances of drafting a quality guy with our 3rd, or 5th, or whatever pick.

The way Fitz is playing, we don't have to reach for a QB. He is probably not our long term solution, but if the QB we really like isn't there, we can live with him for a year or two and draft defensive front 7 players, which we desperately need. In fact, we might be able to trade down more easily and get additional help.

And we don't have as many holes to fill on offense as we once thought, with some of our young O-linemen developing, and our WR corps looking better every week.

I know we bottomed out sooner than some of you would have liked, and we won't be 0-16, and we probably won't be able to pick the mystical and magical Andrew Luck. But I'll take winning a few, developing our offensive guys, getting this team some confidence, and drafting defense, defense, defense every time.

Winning is always good it helps validate the coaches schemes to the players, and motivates the fan base, and the players as well.

No matter what if you are fan of a team you should always rout for a win no matter what. I never want the bills to draft in the top 3 ever again because if you miss it kills your franchise and the compensation is so high you can not trade out of it.

Like I said winning and the way we are playing is going to help change the culture around Buffalo and that starts this season, gets better next, and hopefully in 2012 we are a playoff contender.

Mr. Miyagi
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM

:goodpost:

I agree with everything Jan said here.

Rock bottom wasn't as bad as I thought, and we've improved since then already. We've been playing with a lot of heart, including the usual semi-punks like Whitner and McKelvin, so you know they're all starting to buy into Gailey's system and method of coaching. I love it.

The only major glaring holes we have are RT, NT, and a OLB. Otherwise we just need some depth and a development QB.

Holy crap Stevie Johnson's and even Roscoe's emergence really helped us fill a void.

Night Train
11-22-2010, 08:40 AM

:bf1:

ddaryl
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
as long as we win while demonstrating very obvious improvements then lets win.....

last 4 years we won 7 games for 3 seasons and 6 games last year and never once did I ever feel like the team was improving.

This year started off pathetic and rough, but I'm more excited today then I have been in a long long time.

X-Era
11-22-2010, 08:45 AM
as long as we win while demonstrating very obvious improvements then lets win.....

last 4 years we won 7 games for 3 seasons and 6 games last year and never once did I ever feel like the team was improving.

This year started off pathetic and rough, but I'm more excited today then I have been in a long long time.I just hope we don't max out as a team that can't earn enough wins for the playoffs. And moreover that the QB isn't a prime reason.

elltrain22
11-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Great post!! I totally agree w/ you 100%. I do think if we can pick 1, 2, or 3, we'll have a legit shot @ Luck, but like you said, if someone else gets him, oh well, there are many other good players that we can select that can help this team. Seriously, if no Luck, Darius, Clayborn, Bowers, would all make terrific additions to our defense.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
yep, now that we dont have the first pick Im all for wins. there was a romantic drama about picking #1 but thats not happening now so lets have some fun wins

Demon
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I'll take the wins. Ultimately the main players on our team next year will be the guys we have this year, so its important that they play well together.

Rookies are nice and fun but they rarely make the difference between an average team and a playoff team.

Why, are they going to be more then a 5-6 win team next year? Please tell me you don't believe that.

SABuffalo786
11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm starting to come around to the fact that we're nowhere near the worst team in the league.

Luck is a real long shot and Fitz is a more than competent placeholder. Build the defense and the running game and go from there. I trust Nix/Gailey.

psubills62
11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
I'll be saying this over and over until April, and beyond, I'm sure: it's not where you draft, it's who you draft.

Trust me, I'd love to get Andrew Luck. I'm definitely on his bandwagon. That being said, why is he the only chance we have at being good? Last I checked, more QB's have success than just 1 guy every 3 years. There's also plenty of ways to build a very good team, then find a QB to plug in (sort of like the Jets did with Sanchez, though he was the wrong choice, imo, or like the Ravens did with Flacco).

If we simply draft the best player in the early rounds, we should be successful. Our lack of success the last 11 years or so isn't because we didn't draft high enough - it's because of who we drafted when we did. It's also because the coaching has been abysmal in terms of player development and schemes (mostly referring to Jauron).

At this point, I think we're set up pretty well to draft a mid-round QB, let him sit for a year or so to develop under Fitzpatrick and Gailey's tutelage, then see what he has. Meanwhile, we can draft for defense, fill some holes on offense and depth.

DraftBoy
11-22-2010, 11:18 AM
That qb is Locker.

If we could land Locker in rd2 or rd3 Id be all for it.

trapezeus
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
if the coaches believe that brohm is still a backup, then i don't see the need to reach for a QB.

They need some beastly Lb's and Defensive line players.

Luisito23
11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
It's not like Luck is the only good prospect out there, and who even knows if he'll be coming out or not...I'll be happy with Mallet, the best DL, or the best LB. Defense is as crucial to us as a QB right now.

TigerJ
11-22-2010, 09:33 PM
You've pretty much expressed the way I feel, Jan. Must be something about being older and wiser.

Jan Reimers
11-23-2010, 06:15 AM
You've pretty much expressed the way I feel, Jan. Must be something about being older and wiser.
In my case, probably just older.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
11-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Not that I am wholeheartedly in agreement with these statements, but they are true.
1) It ain't over til its over. 8-8 teams have made the playoffs, and while I don't think it's likely, you gotta play for this year til you are done. That 9th loss may very well come next week, but heck, if they win a bunch of games, nothing but good can come of it as they move this young team forward.

2) There's always someone else coming down the pike that is a good QB, be it free agent or draft pick. If Fitz is not the long term answer (and I honestly cant say I feel strongly either waY), we'll have an opportunity to get another guy.

Historian
11-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree in principle, I just disagree about the timing Jan.

I think we hit rock bottom after the opener.

The team has improved a little bit each week.

Three weeks in a row they were a whisker away from victory, then they finally got over the hump.

There isn't a ton of talent on this team, but they have never quit!

Ill take that over Marvin Lewis' overpaid blabermouths any day.

Mike
11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
When the Colts picked Manning as their first overall pick, I am sure there were some Charger Fans out there that were happy to win that extra game...

Winning in the NFL is not about going 3-13 or 8-8 or even 12-4. Its about winning the SB, that true winning. All the other wins, weather you have 3 or 8 or 12 still don't matter at the end of the season.

Ask Charger Fans, if they could go back in time would they prefer to loose an extra game and get Manning or win that extra game and get Ryan Leaf as they did.

DesertFox24
11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I'll be saying this over and over until April, and beyond, I'm sure: it's not where you draft, it's who you draft.

Trust me, I'd love to get Andrew Luck. I'm definitely on his bandwagon. That being said, why is he the only chance we have at being good? Last I checked, more QB's have success than just 1 guy every 3 years. There's also plenty of ways to build a very good team, then find a QB to plug in (sort of like the Jets did with Sanchez, though he was the wrong choice, imo, or like the Ravens did with Flacco).

If we simply draft the best player in the early rounds, we should be successful. Our lack of success the last 11 years or so isn't because we didn't draft high enough - it's because of who we drafted when we did. It's also because the coaching has been abysmal in terms of player development and schemes (mostly referring to Jauron).

At this point, I think we're set up pretty well to draft a mid-round QB, let him sit for a year or so to develop under Fitzpatrick and Gailey's tutelage, then see what he has. Meanwhile, we can draft for defense, fill some holes on offense and depth.

Maybe that guy is already on the roster in Levi Brown. Brown has good size arm strength and accuracy. He definitely needs to develop, but Nix said they were high on the guy.

Look I doubt he is a franchise guy but maybe if they develop him who knows, but he is not ready now or next year.

DesertFox24
11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
When the Colts picked Manning as their first overall pick, I am sure there were some Charger Fans out there that were happy to win that extra game...

Winning in the NFL is not about going 3-13 or 8-8 or even 12-4. Its about winning the SB, that true winning. All the other wins, weather you have 3 or 8 or 12 still don't matter at the end of the season.

Ask Charger Fans, if they could go back in time would they prefer to loose an extra game and get Manning or win that extra game and get Ryan Leaf as they did.

You give one example what about the raiders, browns, 49ners, etc...

DesertFox24
11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
If we could land Locker in rd2 or rd3 Id be all for it.

I would jump all over Locker in round 2 he could sit and develop behind Fitz next year and we see if Fitz is the real deal or not. If Fitz is we sign him and then trade Locker in year 3 if Fitz continues playing well.

If Fitz is not the real deal after next season his contract runs out and Locker becomes the man in 2012 and will have had two full offseasons to learn under Gailey, practice, and probably play some games towards the end of the year.

Like DB and X-Era have said locker has the physical tools it is reading defenses and going through his progressions. I am not sure if you can ever teach that or not but he is definitely worth a second rounder.

k-oneputt
11-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Locker will get healthy and tear up the combine. I doubt he gets to the 2nd rd.

Coach Sal
11-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Very nicely stated.

All of it.

psubills62
11-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Maybe that guy is already on the roster in Levi Brown. Brown has good size arm strength and accuracy. He definitely needs to develop, but Nix said they were high on the guy.

Look I doubt he is a franchise guy but maybe if they develop him who knows, but he is not ready now or next year.

I guess it's possible, but I seriously doubt it. If they thought he could be that guy, I don't think they would have dropped him during the 2nd set of cuts to keep Brohm, then not even sign him to the PS. Brown only got a chance because of the level of Edwards' suckiness.

I believe Nix has said they really weren't impressed with this last class of QB's, and who can blame him?

If anything, Brohm would be the guy currently on the roster who could be a developmental prospect. But I have to believe they're going to want their own guy coming in, someone younger that they drafted and can work with from the very beginning.

DraftBoy
11-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Locker will get healthy and tear up the combine. I doubt he gets to the 2nd rd.

And just like guys like Bruce Campbell his stock will be minimallly affected. These GM's are your regular fan, they actually watch the tape. A nice 40 and the ability to throw the ball well under no pressure isn't going to impress many people.

k-oneputt
11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I believe you were high on Bruce Campbell or was it Selvish Capers ?

Beebe's Kid
11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
And just like guys like Bruce Campbell his stock will be minimallly affected. These GM's are your regular fan, they actually watch the tape. A nice 40 and the ability to throw the ball well under no pressure isn't going to impress many people.

Al Davis

DraftBoy
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I believe you were high on Bruce Campbell or was it Selvish Capers ?

Capers and still very much so. Said he needed to sit some and get stronger which is exactly what he is doing now. Currently on the Washington PS. He was a former TE who was still learning to play OT. Has great agility and athleticism but needs to get stronger.

Night Train
11-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Amen ! 3 cheers for frosty hair, feet of clay and a spread. :up:

christhebillsfan783
11-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree that Fitz may not be our longterm solution but just look at the change in attitude the offense has when he is in the game. You could tell that the offense wasn't playing for Trent, but they go to war with Fitz. Every down they are fighting, there is a new confidence in our young offense and new players stepping up when they have their opportunity. I actually can't wait to see how our boys do against the Steelers on Sunday. Let's Go Buffalo! Keep the wins coming!

psubills62
11-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Al Davis

Good thing he doesn't have a first-round pick (though I wish it had gone to anyone else but New England).