PDA

View Full Version : NFL Mini-Mock Draft – Version 1 of 1,000

patmoran2006
01-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Have this up on Buffalo Sports Daily (ducks)
---------------------
So it’s known to all, I’m not going past the first three picks of the 2011 NFL Draft in this or future mocks for two reasons: First, it’s too much thinking and hard work for my taste and lastly, I don’t really care what happens after the Buffalo Bills make their selection.

I’m also going to amend my mini-mock at least a few dozen times between now and late April so if you bet the farm on what I write now, I have a lemon-colored car I’d love to sell you.

Updating my mock will occur whenever I deem necessary. That could include developments such as Andrew Luck staying at Stanford and potential Bills free agents they may (or may not) re-sign or bring in new.

What I lack in quantity when it comes to picks I’ll try to structure with widespread (hopefully not boring) enlightenment as to why I see Buddy Nix going where I’ve went.

So without further ado… Here’s my first of what’s sure to be many mocks.

1. Carolina Panthers- Da’Quan Bowers, DE (Clemson)
There’s no question the Panthers had Luck tabbed if he came out and it would’ve taken a small army of selections to pry away Carolina from the first pick. After Luck’s announcement however, the Panthers probably can’t give this pick away. Since I don’t see them taking a quarterback who didn’t throw for 3,338 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2010 as a member of the Stanford Cardinal, they’ll go in a different direction and make Jimmy Clausen exultant.

Although I view A.J. Green as the top overall player (without Luck) in the entire draft, Carolina still has Steve Smith and a pair of quality young receivers in David Gettis and Brandon LaFell.

Defensive tackle is certainly a possibility with either Nick Fairley or Marcel Dareus, as is Patrick Peterson at cornerback. Ultimately, Bowers could become the next Julius Peppers, he who terrorized opposing quarterbacks in Carolina for eight years before signing with Chicago last spring. Paired with Charles Johnson, who had 12 sacks at defensive end, Carolina could profoundly reinforce their pass rush.

2. Denver Broncos – Nick Fairley, DT (Auburn)
John Elway takes over football operations and undoubtedly would’ve made a play Luck, even with Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton (and yes, Brady Quinn) in the mix. As I stated earlier, I consider Green the best player in the draft but Denver had Brandon Lloyd breakout in 2010 to the tune of 77 catches, 11 touchdowns and a NFL-leading 1,448 receiving yards. They also have2010 first-rounder Demaryius Thomas as well as Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney to fill out a talented unit of receivers.

Peterson from LSU is also a possibility with the second pick and can also play safety according to many prognosticators. Brian Dawkins is 37-years old.
In the end, I think Elway will go defensive tackle because frankly, their front seven stinks. Defensive tackle Jamal Williams is 74-years old (OK, he’ll really be 35 before next season) and a new front anchor should headline Elway’s draft desires. Both Fairley and Dareus are capable of playing end in a 3-4 but of the two, I feel Fairley has a higher ceiling and will be the Broncos pick.

3. Buffalo Bills – Patrick Peterson, CB (LSU)
Don’t worry— I want to launch myself off a bridge as badly as you do with this pick. Simply put, I sense Nix will always take the best player regardless of position when on the clock and in this case, it’s going to be Peterson. Rather than give you a bunch of reasons why we’ll take him, first I’ll list cause to eliminate the others.

Green: Admittedly this greatly intrigues me. A wide receiving corps featuring Green, Lee Evans and Stevie Johnson would scare opposing defensive coordinators to death. However, Roscoe Parrish proved a lot last year and David Nelson looks like a lock to stick around and become more productive. Marcus Easley is a talented rookie who missed all of last season with a knee injury and both Donald Jones and Naaman Roosevelt proved they could handle NFL roles late in the season. There’s just no way Nix can select Green without moving Evans to another team and to me, you can’t have addition by subtraction with the third overall pick. Buffalo’s receivers are the least of the team’s problems moving forward, though the same was said at running back last year before C.J. Spiller was tabbed ninth.

Dareus: If Nix is to even consider him (or Fairley should he be there), he better regard him as someone who can play end in a 3-4. Defensive tackle isn’t just a non-need for the Bills, its perhaps their lone defensive strength. Kyle Williams is a Pro Bowler securing the middle and Torrel Troup was picked in second round last year, making him a “Nix guy.” If Dareus can project as a better Marcus Stroud in this defense I’m all for it, but that’s the only way.
(Of the two, if Fairley is on the board the Bills have a better chance of taking him)

Cam Newton, Ryan Mallet, Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert: There’s just too many question marks about any of these quarterback prospects. All may end up first-round picks, but the Bills would be taking a gargantuan gamble claiming any third overall. If the Bills desire any they can move back into the later part of the first.

Besides, like it or not head coach Chan Gailey loves Ryan Fitzpatrick and feels he can win with him. That’s sure to hold weight with Nix on draft day.
(For the record, I think when it’s all said and done Locker will end up being the first quarterback taken with Mallet the last amongst those four.)

Robert Quinn: This is a dark horse pick for me. Quinn may be the best pass rusher in the draft and it’s no secret the Bills aren’t very good at getting to the quarterback. What could go against Quinn the most is Arthur Moats, who showed plenty of potential for becoming lethal as a rookie, just ask Brett Favre. Nix also handed out $24-million to Chris Kelsay like it was Halloween candy and recently re-signed Shawne Merriman for two years. Merriman may or may not get back to being a feared linebacker, but the $2.5 million guaranteed shows the Bills are going to give him that opportunity in 2011. Still, something tells me he’ll get a long look from Nix, even with the alleged surplus at outside linebacker– and I’m not bothering to count Aaron Maybin either.

Any Offensive Tackle: I’ll keep this short and sweet; the Bills would love to make a major upgrade at offensive tackle, but there isn’t one in the draft that’ll sniff the top three.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
Folks, to me this leaves Peterson as the pick. He has special ability and is often compared to Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson in terms of his play. He’s the 2010 SEC Defensive Player of the Year and the Jim Thorpe Winner; given to the top defensive back in the country.

According to multiple scouts his football IQ is off the charts, which only makes his athletic skills that much better. At 6-foot-1, 211-pounds he also has the size to be physical in the NFL.

Besides, he may not just fill the best player available role— he could also become a need. If Terrence McGee isn’t already broken down and washed up, he’s verging on it. Drayton Florence is an unrestricted free agent and I’m not sure I can cope with his fondness for committing at least one dumb penalty every single game (joking, I’ d love him back in a nickel role.). Leodis McKelvin’s play has been about as consistent as a Favre retirement.

Peterson could come in and be the lockdown corner in little time, giving McKelvin a little less responsibility, which could translate to making more plays that actually help and not hurt the club.

The fact that Peterson is great as a returner only serves as a bonus. Say what you want about Spiller and McKelvin’s talent on special teams, but they hurt the team with costly fumbles more than once.

Finally, regarding the majority of comments that will revolve around the Bills needing to stop the run before they worry about cornerback, I feel your pain. However, it’s said there are seven rounds in the draft and rumor has it the Bills will be picking high in all of them.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Makes plenty of sense.

T-Long
01-07-2011, 07:38 AM
(ducks)
:lmao:

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-07-2011, 07:40 AM
If those two players went 1 and 2, it would be the worst possible scenario for the Bills.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm sold. Great writeup pat.

Don't Panic
01-07-2011, 08:00 AM
If those two players went 1 and 2, it would be the worst possible scenario for the Bills.

...as things seem to be on January 7th. We'll see if that's the case in late April though. I expect a lot of changes at or near the top between now and then.

DesertFox24
01-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I will be happy as long as the bills do not pick Mallet, Newton, or AJ green. I am also a huge advocate for best player available as that is what we need.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
im fine with peterson as long as we get dline help in fa, but even if we get paul soliai, or tony mcdaniel, gabe watson, or marcus spears, those fa pickups do not give us the premium pass rush that dareus and fairley do.

again if we lose some players in the secondary we can get legit help in the mid rds, along with free agency.

elltrain22
01-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Good write up, and your opinion is well stated, and has much credit to it. My opinion, for whatever its worth, I don't see Denver passing on Peterson. Champ Bailey is the wild card. If he somehow has a change of heart, then maybe not, but if he remains steadfast, Denver is going to have to draft a replacement.

Also, I like Peterson, he's a great player, but I will puke if we take a CB at #3. We need a pass rusher/run stuffer. If we get more pressure on the qb and/or stop the run more effectively, I think it'll automatically make our cb's significantly better.

jamze132
01-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Have this up on Buffalo Sports Daily (ducks)
---------------------
So it’s known to all, I’m not going past the first three picks of the 2011 NFL Draft in this or future mocks for two reasons: First, it’s too much thinking and hard work for my taste and lastly, I don’t really care what happens after the Buffalo Bills make their selection.

I’m also going to amend my mini-mock at least a few dozen times between now and late April so if you bet the farm on what I write now, I have a lemon-colored car I’d love to sell you.

Updating my mock will occur whenever I deem necessary. That could include developments such as Andrew Luck staying at Stanford and potential Bills free agents they may (or may not) re-sign or bring in new.

What I lack in quantity when it comes to picks I’ll try to structure with widespread (hopefully not boring) enlightenment as to why I see Buddy Nix going where I’ve went.

Well you sure do have a lot of "rules" and "stipulations". I do too. I reserve the right to not give a ****.

don137
01-07-2011, 08:33 AM
I would not mind Peterson even though I would love to address the dine.

I think Panthers will go offense. The owner he is committed to make this a fun team to watch and wants to improve the offense. I could see them either drafting a QB or drafting Green

ddaryl
01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
try to trade down for more picks in this recent scenario

The Bills seem better at picking later rd guys anyways.

psubills62
01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. I also wouldn't be surprised if the choice for Buffalo was primarily between Peterson, Green and Peterson.

bigbub2352
01-07-2011, 08:39 AM
i will have the same arguement that i had when we took bust McKelvin....u can get Db's anywhere in the draft...i understand this kid's talent but no thanks...he could be the best CB ever but will get torched if we cant stop the run and have no pass rush

i am gonna go out on a limband say we go Cam Newton at 3 and Heyward DE from OSU in the 2nd....i have a friend who is friend's with russ brandon's family all he said was Nix loves Newton...no sources just a rumor i thought i would share

jamze132
01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Well Andrew Luck really threw a nice 12-6 curveball into the top 5 yesterday. Picking 3rd doesn't really allow us to get the best value possible from a DT or DE since more than likely the best will be off the board. Pat is 100% right, there isn't a OT worth taking here so you might as take Peterson. But I would bet that Nix and Co. will take a long and hard look at Mallet, Gabbert, and Newton prior to the draft.

Now with Luck returning to college and the first few picks are skewed, Nix has to believe that he won't be getting one of the top DTs or DEs at #3 so maybe he will be more inclined to make a serious run at some FAs to shore that up. If he does, Peterson looks like the best possible pick for us. But if he does nothing to address the front 7 through FA, we might have to reach back into the 1st to get a quality DL who could possible start from the get go. And we know that would cost picks, which we need.

Basically, we need to shore up some friggin' holes through FA.

GreedoII
01-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Why not just trade down then pick the QB?

psubills62
01-07-2011, 08:52 AM
i will have the same arguement that i had when we took bust McKelvin....u can get Db's anywhere in the draft...i understand this kid's talent but no thanks...he could be the best CB ever but will get torched if we cant stop the run and have no pass rush

i am gonna go out on a limband say we go Cam Newton at 3 and Heyward DE from OSU in the 2nd....i have a friend who is friend's with russ brandon's family all he said was Nix loves Newton...no sources just a rumor i thought i would share

I seriously doubt Heyward lasts until the 2nd round.

cookie G
01-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Don't feel bad, the same argument was made for McLovin in 2008 as are being made in the OP.

He was the guy with the rare cover skills who was going to be the lockdown corner of the future. He was the the one that had the recovery speed and the change of direction ability that was going to be able to blanket a WR and become the true lockdown.

The argument was made that Greer was nearing the end of his contract so we were going to need a CB anyways. In addition, McElvin's return skills were an added bonus.

It turns out that McLovin DOES have rare recovery skills, but he negates them by falling for a pump fake. I don't hate McLovin, he's a pretty good db, but he didn't make the D any better than if we had kept Greer. He's not the lock down corner he was thought to be when he was taken.

At the time, we didn't seem to have the need for OL, since we had Peters an Walker, so we passed over Clady, Albert and Otah. Little did anyone know that Russ Brandon would dismantle the OL within a year.

Though we needed help on the D7 that year, no one seemed to be worth the pick at the spot, much like it is this year with offensive linemen, where there isn't a tackle worthy of the spot.

OK, I can see that. But we still need DL, and there ARE players worthy of the spot. This whole building-to-an-area-of-strength-by-taking-this-guy-with-rare-skills-and-addressing-our-needs-later philosophy has failed for a decade.

You can argue that it started with the McGahee pick and and continued till the present.

Safeties with rare skills;
CB's with rare skills;
RB's with rare skills;
little DE's with the fastest first step in the game (a rare skill I guess).

All you have to do is look at a history of the Ravens and know why they're in the playoffs and we aren't. It seems every year, they took a guy we should have taken, always a few positions lower. Its like Ozzie Newsome is using a Jedi mind trick every time the Bills go to the podium.

He waives his fingers..."you don't need a defensive lineman"
Bills: "We don't need a defensive lineman"
Ozzie: "You need a db with rare skills"
Bills: "we really need a db with rare skills"
Ozzie: "pass on that O Lineman, he's not worth it"
Bills: "we'll pass on that O Lineman, he's not worth it"
Ozzie: "move along"
Bills: "with the X pick in the draft, the Bills take another little guy with rare skills".

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I know this Peterson is a great CB but I don't want a CB AT ALLLLLLLLLLL. I wouldn't be happy with this selection.

Mahdi
01-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I think at this point, Peterson to the Broncos is a 100% lock. They have a horrible pass defense, Bailey is getting old, Dawkins is old and no good option at RCB.

Plus at this point Peterson is the highest rated player in the draft IMO, equal to if not higher than Bowers.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I think at this point, Peterson to the Broncos is a 100% lock. They have a horrible pass defense, Bailey is getting old, Dawkins is old and no good option at RCB.

Plus at this point Peterson is the highest rated player in the draft IMO, equal to if not higher than Bowers.

Nothing is a lock right now and Denver has just as big defensive line issues as they do replacing Bailey and Dawkins.

bigbub2352
01-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. I also wouldn't be surprised if the choice for Buffalo was primarily between Peterson, Green and Peterson.

well im sure with the 2nd pick in rd 2 we should be able to get a solid pass rusher maybe top rated OLB...if we go the Newton route

bigbub2352
01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Don't feel bad, the same argument was made for McLovin in 2008 as are being made in the OP.

He was the guy with the rare cover skills who was going to be the lockdown corner of the future. He was the the one that had the recovery speed and the change of direction ability that was going to be able to blanket a WR and become the true lockdown.

The argument was made that Greer was nearing the end of his contract so we were going to need a CB anyways. In addition, McElvin's return skills were an added bonus.

It turns out that McLovin DOES have rare recovery skills, but he negates them by falling for a pump fake. I don't hate McLovin, he's a pretty good db, but he didn't make the D any better than if we had kept Greer. He's not the lock down corner he was thought to be when he was taken.

At the time, we didn't seem to have the need for OL, since we had Peters an Walker, so we passed over Clady, Albert and Otah. Little did anyone know that Russ Brandon would dismantle the OL within a year.

Though we needed help on the D7 that year, no one seemed to be worth the pick at the spot, much like it is this year with offensive linemen, where there isn't a tackle worthy of the spot.

OK, I can see that. But we still need DL, and there ARE players worthy of the spot. This whole building-to-an-area-of-strength-by-taking-this-guy-with-rare-skills-and-addressing-our-needs-later philosophy has failed for a decade.

You can argue that it started with the McGahee pick and and continued till the present.

Safeties with rare skills;
CB's with rare skills;
RB's with rare skills;
little DE's with the fastest first step in the game (a rare skill I guess).

All you have to do is look at a history of the Ravens and know why they're in the playoffs and we aren't. It seems every year, they took a guy we should have taken, always a few positions lower. Its like Ozzie Newsome is using a Jedi mind trick every time the Bills go to the podium.

He waives his fingers..."you don't need a defensive lineman"
Bills: "We don't need a defensive lineman"
Ozzie: "You need a db with rare skills"
Bills: "we really need a db with rare skills"
Ozzie: "pass on that O Lineman, he's not worth it"
Bills: "we'll pass on that O Lineman, he's not worth it"
Ozzie: "move along"
Bills: "with the X pick in the draft, the Bills take another little guy with rare skills".
Just think solidifying the front 7 is more important right now especially early...i think we can sign a CB in FA and draft one later to help with mckelvin mcgee corner etc.

Mahdi
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Nothing is a lock right now and Denver has just as big defensive line issues as they do replacing Bailey and Dawkins.
Well that is my thought on it, I think it is a lock because Peterson is IMO, the best CB to come out since Woodson. And that is if Carolina doesn't take him first.

Bill Cody
01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Well that is my thought on it, I think it is a lock because Peterson is IMO, the best CB to come out since Woodson. And that is if Carolina doesn't take him first.

Could well be. But it's to the Bills advantage for Peterson to be on the board when we pick. When you have a dozen holes it will be easy to say "yes" if another team in the top ten makes us an offer we can't refuse.

Ingtar33
01-07-2011, 01:03 PM
if the bills take a DB at 3rd overall we deserve to miss the playoffs for another 10 years.

Mahdi
01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
if the bills take a DB at 3rd overall we deserve to miss the playoffs for another 10 years.
BPA. We deserve to miss the playoffs for another 10 years if we leave players on the board who are better than the ones we pick....

Any other draft philosophy is illogical. No one knows which players chosen in the first round will be cereal probowlers and which will be busts.

The only thing any smart GM can do is take the best player available.

EDS
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
BPA. We deserve to miss the playoffs for another 10 years if we leave players on the board who are better than the ones we pick....

Any other draft philosophy is illogical. No one knows which players chosen in the first round will be cereal probowlers and which will be busts.

The only thing any smart GM can do is take the best player available.

The Bills should do the opposite of what they have been doing for the past decade.

Mahdi
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
The Bills should do the opposite of what they have been doing for the past decade.
Good, then they will pick BPA. Lynch was a need pick, Maybin was a need pick.

Spiller was BPA. And Peterson would also be that.

In 5 years do you want a guy on your team that goes to PBs or a guy that starts on your DL because you needed it.

You don't pass on elite talent.

alohabillsfan
01-07-2011, 02:22 PM
FAIRLEY, FAIRLEY, FAIRLEY....That is all...

FlyingDutchman
01-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I live in Charlotte and unfortunately was forced to watch almost every game. I gotta tell ya I thnk Carolina goes AJ Green...the defense actually wasnt that bad, they were just ALWAYS on the field and would get worn out by the 3rd quarter...I definitely agree Lefell and Gettis are young and talented however I do not see them as true play makers...I really think thats what Carolina desperately needs...Steve Smith has lost a step and is aging and you need a serious threat to take over for him...You need to give Clausen weapons on this putrid offense or else youre basically wasting the Clausen pick and not giving him a fair chance...im tellin ya, it was a miracle if this team got into the red zone...