PDA

View Full Version : Bills front runners for Bob Sanders?

HAMMER
02-21-2011, 12:57 PM
The all rehab defense, Merriman, Sanders, who's next?
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/267970-bills-frontrunners-for-sanders?eref=sihp

psubills62
02-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I saw that they were interested, don't know if they're the frontrunners or not. Sanders, I believe, can sign with a team before March 4th or something like that.

If it's an incentive-laden "prove it" contract, I don't have much problem with it.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I would take a chance for the right price. If healthy, he would make a great partner at SS with Byrd at FS.

Mr. Miyagi
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I hate all those user comments. We are such laughing stock of the league. Even Denver fans laugh at us and they're picking before us this year.

tampabay25690
02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I would take a chance for the right price. If healthy, he would make a great partner at SS with Byrd at FS.

Problem is Byrd isn't that good??????
I think George Wilson is the best Safety on the team....

Nighthawk
02-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Problem is Byrd isn't that good??????
I think George Wilson is the best Safety on the team....

No, he isn't and if he is, that is a MAJOR problem because Wilson isn't even an average safety in this league.

JCBills
02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
No, he isn't and if he is, that is a MAJOR problem because Wilson isn't even an average safety in this league.

Wilson had a very good year in 09, and made some big plays in big spots in 07.

Nighthawk
02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Wilson had a very good year in 09, and made some big plays in big spots in 07.

He wouldn't even be on another team's roster...just another example of Bills fans loving the "other guy".

tampabay25690
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM

HA HA
You think Byrd is that good????

Nighthawk
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
HA HA
You think Byrd is that good????

No, but I know that Wilson isn't...

tampabay25690
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
He wouldn't even be on another team's roster...just another example of Bills fans loving the "other guy".

Loving the other guy?????????
Byrd is the most overrated Saftey in the league...
Last year he was absolutely awful......

Everyone is always on Whitner but he is the best Safety on the team but not for the $$ him and his agent are looking for........

tampabay25690
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
No, but I know that Wilson isn't...

I know just making a point..
Then who is??????

ServoBillieves
02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Byrd isn't good? A great rookie season, followed by almost double the tackles, 4 more turnovers and a sack. I still call it a sophomore slump but c'mon...

The kid is someone who #1 teams throw away from now, hence the fewer interceptions (along with the porous run defense and other teams just running the ball the entire time), and #2 is going to be a staple for a while on this defense.

Sanders/Byrd is a sexy combination at safety. Scott/Wilson is nice at backup. Corto is... whatever. And Whitner is a little *****.

My 3 cents... (Inflation)

Nighthawk
02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
I know just making a point..
Then who is??????

I never stated anything about any of our safeties...just that your comment of Wilson being the best isn't true and if it was, then that is not good. For some crazy ass reason, people have fooled themselves into thinking that Wilson is a good safety that could actually start in this league...there is nothing further from the truth. He is a special teamer...period.

DrGraves
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
sign him up... we haven't made the playoffs in a decade... NOTHING TO LOSE

SquishDaFish
02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Byrd just completed his 2nd season and he sucks already??? LMAO thats a joke

BuffaloBlitz83
02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I heard the Jags are the frontrunners for Bob

G Wolly
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Loving the other guy?????????
Byrd is the most overrated Saftey in the league...
Last year he was absolutely awful......

I agree he is overrated.

In his rookie year when he had all of them picks, everyone expected him to be some invincible elite Safety while I was realistic about it.

He's not horrible, but not as great as people made him out to be.

mikemac2001
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree he is overrated.

In his rookie year when he had all of them picks, everyone expected him to be some invincible elite Safety while I was realistic about it.

ya but he was also perfect for cover 2

i think he is still adjusting to the 3-4 also we had no pressure on QB's kills the secondary......overall i think he will be solid in year 2 of 3-4 d

madness
02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Supposedly we are interested in Atogwe too.

Forward_Lateral
02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Isn't Sanders a FS?

Thief
02-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Byrd isn't good? A great rookie season, followed by almost double the tackles, 4 more turnovers and a sack. I still call it a sophomore slump but c'mon...

The kid is someone who #1 teams throw away from now, hence the fewer interceptions (along with the porous run defense and other teams just running the ball the entire time), and #2 is going to be a staple for a while on this defense.

Sanders/Byrd is a sexy combination at safety. Scott/Wilson is nice at backup. Corto is... whatever. And Whitner is a little *****.

My 3 cents... (Inflation)Agreed. If we had a pass rush Byrd may have had more big plays.

CAbills
02-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Per Schefter: Before combine kicks off this week, former Colts S Bob Sanders is scheduled to take one more visit -- to Buffalo on Tuesday.

Beebe's Kid
02-21-2011, 07:00 PM
I agree he is overrated.

Overrated? By what standard? Madden?

Byrd had exactly the kind of year Byrd needed to have last year. A "back to earth" year, where the picks weren't just piling up, and he had to concentrate on the other aspects of his game.

He started the year hurt, and there was talk he might not play, and I think he forced himself back too quick. I would use the amount of plays he was able to be on the field as evidence. I know that the fact that he had an emergency surgery on his groin after complications from a hernia surgery, is not the kind of facts that support the Byrd sucks story.

For those of us that bothered watching the games, you could see definite improvement in Byrd throughout the year, and he was forcing turnovers at the end of the year, including ripping the ball our on Mendenhall's hands. That's right, Mendenhall...he plays for Pittsburgh, so he has to be awesome. Either way he ripped the ball out of his hands and returned it for what should have been six, but Pittsburgh got their customary reach-around and we got the ball at the spot of the "fumble."

Byrd also started hitting a lot harder as the year went on. and was a solid tackler.

I know his football card won't be as sexy without all of the INTs, but we are pretty lucky to have somebody that bad on our team. I predict he makes the Pro-Bowl in the next 2 years.

Jaybird
02-21-2011, 07:01 PM
We should bring in Sanders.. if he does get injured again, I am confident George Wilson can hold it down (assuming we resign Wilson)

dannyek71
02-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Based on recent injury history, I do not see Meriman or Bob Sanders (if signed) play 1/3 of the season.

bigbub2352
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
we got nothing to lose
whitner is a bum ...with his inflated stats....i watch every game to the minute and never see whitner in on all the tackles he is given credit for

Marvelous
02-22-2011, 12:50 AM
This is terrible! This guys durability is pathetic.. It CAN-NOT be looked over or ignored because he just cant keep himself healthy. I am surprised he wasn't released last year or year before..My football bro's of random teams have all mocked the Colts and Bob Sanders because once you see his "GENERAL-STATS" & GAMES PLAYED per season. holy crap has he missed about 50% of hisw whole career... There's no way this guy is MORE-VALUABLE to us then Whitner. His durability must be taken into account..

YardRat
02-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Sanders can't stay healthy...if we're going after a FA safety I would prefer Atogwe.

EricStratton
02-22-2011, 05:27 AM
48 games over 7 seasons and never 16 in a single one are the only stats that should count.

Even if he's cheap he still takes a roster spot that could be filled by a player who plays more then 7 games per season.

RockStar36
02-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Sign him to a cheap(er) deal with incentives and let him earn his money. He was an ELITE safety when healthy, so why not give him the chance? Our safeties are mediocre at best, this can't hurt.

JCBills
02-22-2011, 06:12 AM

My 3 cents... (Inflation)

Well put, Byrd obviously didn't have the unreal amount of INTs that he did as a rookie, but he improved in what looked like every other aspect of his game. He showed he can deliver a nice hit, surprising me quite a few times, and with 3 FFs to show for it. He would have had two defensive TDs this season if the refs didn't blow his strip on Mendenhall dead. Maybe George Edwards used him different than Perry Fewell. I think if you give a guy like Byrd a decent front 7, he can balance what he did his rookie and soph seasons and be a true complete safety.

jamze132
02-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Bob Sanders could be on the IR and still be a more productive than Whitner.

Canadian'eh!
02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
If you can sign Atogwe... DO IT.

If not, then Sanders (who won't get millions) on a contract that is based on playing time, is not a bad gamble.

The guy is special when he is out there, and it's not like the Bills have Free Agents running to sign there.

justasportsfan
02-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Byrd struggled this year. Not sure if it's due to adjusting to the new system or if he just doesn't fit the new system.

HAMMER
02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
48 games over 7 seasons and never 16 in a single one are the only stats that should count.

Even if he's cheap he still takes a roster spot that could be filled by a player who plays more then 7 games per season.

Thank you, someone gets it.

Marvelous
02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Sign him to a cheap(er) deal with incentives and let him earn his money. He was an ELITE safety when healthy, so why not give him the chance? Our safeties are mediocre at best, this can't hurt.

-That's a load of crap & you know it. Byrd had the best rookie season ive ever seen for a DB. Something about the new defense seemed to destroy his groove.
-Whitner isn't an elite safety by any means, but he's not "mediocre."
--I do like our drafted players more then most. Whitner & i'll example Kelsay are good players. The probowl upside isn't there but they are still important.
-Talley,Bennett,Shultz,Kenneth Davis & esp Phil Hansen we're all important players despite they weren't probowl stars etc..
--I could see wanting to upgrade average players if we are on the verge of making a run. BUT WE ARE NOT. And the reason we arent has nothing to do with us not upgrading safety & LE..

---Since Byrd's struggle was mentioned i wanna comment on it. I really dislike our 3-4 type defense. IMO you have to have alot of talent @ LB for that to work well & we don't. I thought we had some talent last year @ LB, but they we're all injured. Ellison is decent enough to start but that P.O.V is shot because durability is a major factor when grading players. Hence the turd view on Bob Sanders..

--Curious- Would anyone want to let WHITNER go in favor of Sanders? Just seems like then we would have no safety when not if, but WHEN he goes down w/ a bruised vagina..

-Howcome there's so many Whitner haters? We drafted him & he is an above average player.. Seems like he is viewed in the same light as Maybin. He can't even get on the field, where Whitner has started.. IMO it's wrong or a mistake to go w/ a new safety when we are such a pathetic team right now. Like i said, i could see if we we're on the verge. but we're not....Starting to feel like the Homer Police. Thx alot!

sqad5
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
--Curious- Would anyone want to let WHITNER go in favor of Sanders? Just seems like then we would have no safety when not if, but WHEN he goes down w/ a bruised vagina..
Lmao But then again whitner is like a sloth back there.

kingJofNYC
02-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Bills only have one safety signed going into '11. I'm not putting Scott in at S since he's basically a tweener. It's Byrd and no one else, Wilson and Whitner are both FAs. Need some depth.

Marvelous
02-24-2011, 05:11 PM
We need Scott & George Wilson. Both are overachievers imo. Neither are good starters but both are awesome depth/backups.
--Scott is pretty good against the run. I've never been able to follow it closely enough, but i'm wondering if Scott came in on 1st downs & 2nd & 3rd & short or just run plays..
--We really need LB's & the only one we have has a expired contract WTF!

Mr. Pink
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
-That's a load of crap & you know it. Byrd had the best rookie season ive ever seen for a DB. Something about the new defense seemed to destroy his groove.

The best rookie season since Anthony Henry. Who didn't have as bad as a second season as Byrd and now is basically done as a player.

Byrd had a bad year period. No amount of excuses can cover that up.

Now he can either turn it around and perform or he'll turn into Anthony Henry and fade away into obscurity.

better days
02-24-2011, 05:53 PM
The best rookie season since Anthony Henry. Who didn't have as bad as a second season as Byrd and now is basically done as a player.

Now he can either turn it around and perform or he'll turn into Anthony Henry and fade away into obscurity.

There is a reason for the term "sophomore slump" it happens to many players & not just players asked to learn a new system either.

Thief
02-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Bob Sanders made the Colts RUN defense much better. He could be the perfect addition. I still have my fingers crossed.

Marvelous
02-26-2011, 01:18 PM

I meant Best BILLS ROOKIE DB season. 9INT's is incredible..

--Did we switch defense last season? Did anyone DB excel in it?
---The 3-4 is a rich mans defense & we are poor. Very similar to the rich can afford to draft non-skilled positions in the 1st round like TE,G, etc. While poor/struggling teams are forced to get Tackles/RB/QB's and skilled etc...

---I love the 3-4,,but we don't exactly have the LB strength for it to be effective.
-- we never woulda drafted Torell Troupe w/ our high 2nd rounder if not for us trying to build a 3-4.. In fact, i disagree w/ building a 3-4 from the ground up.
--.Lets go back to traditional 4-3 base defense until we stud up the roster on D...

SquishDaFish
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Nope I like what Gailey is doing. Hybrid 3-4/4-3 until we do have the studs to go complete 3-4.

Bert102176
02-27-2011, 03:27 AM
we need atogwe or how ever you spell it

psubills62
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Sanders signed a one-year contract with the Chargers.

jcdavey
03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
i hope he doesn't get hurt again........ (chargers fan)