PDA

View Full Version : King on prospects Bills like

justasportsfan
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
The Bills like Von Miller and Patrick Peterson a lot. Not saying they’ll take either. Just saying they’re high on both, and even though GM Buddy Nix has been at every top quarterback’s workout, Buffalo-watchers think it’s more likely the team will go defense.

Kirwan: Bills take CB, QB

Patrick has Charles Woodson-like qualities as well as terrific return skills. With Ryan Fitzpatrick under center, the Bills can afford to wait until the second round for a quarterback. With Tom Brady in the division, the Bills need a shutdown cornerback.

Then in round two he has Buffalo taking QB Ryan Mallett. This might be the first time I’ve seen Mallett predicted for the Bills in round two. Former Arkansas and Bills QB Joe Ferguson offered this comment on Ryan Mallett to Buffalobills.com.

“Ryan Mallett has got all the talent,” Ferguson said. ”He’s 6’7” and weighs about 250 and has a very strong arm. His mobility is the negative that he may have, but there have been a lot of great quarterbacks that couldn’t run around very much and played the game a long time, like Dan Marino. He’s got that caliber arm. Depending on the team he goes to if they can help him with a good running game and a good defense I think he’ll be a good quarterback.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

THRILLHO
03-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Can't say I would be upset about Peterson/Mallet.

Blacksheep71
03-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Mallett lacks mobility? Thats the under statement of year ... he's so slow they timed his 40 using a sun dial

better days
03-28-2011, 02:51 PM

I would not find that draft a THRILLHO myself but I could think of worse.

Bangarang
03-28-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't understand trying to make the point that we need a shut down corner because Brady is in our division. If we can't get any pressure on Brady with our front 7, then a shut down corner is going to do much good.

mayotm
03-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Mallett lacks mobility? Thats the under statement of year ... he's so slow they timed his 40 using a sun dialWhy are people so hung up on Mallet's poor 40 time? His 40 time isn't going to make him a good QB. Do you think Rivers, Maining, Brady, Rothlisberger have good 40 times? Now, if you want to complain about his pocket presence or inablitity to read a defense, that's more relevant.

Prov401
03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I would be ecstatic with Peterson/Mallett.

But the best QB in the draft won't get by Minnesota at 12.

Prov401
03-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Mallett lacks mobility? Thats the under statement of year ... he's so slow they timed his 40 using a sun dial

And Brady ran a 5.3. 40 time is so overrated. QB's become elite by passing not running. And Mallett has the best arm by far in this draft. He has good pocket awareness as well, which is what counts most (Brady).

Everybody's knock on Mallett was between the ears. And people speculated on his wonderlic being in the single digits. Well, to all the QB rule lovers out there, Mallett satisfies it. And if you think Gabbert is a better passer than Mallett, give me whatever your on.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't hate that I guess.

The thing with all my QB talk is I love Fitz! It would be awesome if Fitz really could be the man.

Prov401
03-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't understand trying to make the point that we need a shut down corner because Brady is in our division. If we can't get any pressure on Brady with our front 7, then a shut down corner is going to do much good.

Watch the Jets/Pats playoff game.

Count how many times Brady sat there with all the time in the world patting the ball, waiting, waiting.. That's elite CB play.

I do agree we need pressure as well, and that's why I'm all for Dareus being picked ahead of Peterson given the choice. However, Peterson is the only one that will fall IMO, and we have to capitalize on drafting the best talent in the draft at 3.

THRILLHO
03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't hate that I guess.

The thing with all my QB talk is I love Fitz! It would be awesome if Fitz really could be the man.

I like Fitz also. But we dont know if he is our QB. We are in the best position to draft a QB that we have been in years. There are lots to choose from and we pick early. Take a guy round 1 or 2. Let him learn while we find what we really have in Fitz.

better days
03-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Watch the Jets/Pats playoff game.

Count how many times Brady sat there with all the time in the world patting the ball, waiting, waiting.. That's elite CB play.

I do agree we need pressure as well, and that's why I'm all for Dareus being picked ahead of Peterson given the choice. However, Peterson is the only one that will fall IMO, and we have to capitalize on drafting the best talent in the draft at 3.

Well then maybe Miller should be the pick. He is rated higher than Peterson by some.

patmoran2006
03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Why are people so hung up on Mallet's poor 40 time? His 40 time isn't going to make him a good QB. Do you think Rivers, Maining, Brady, Rothlisberger have good 40 times? Now, if you want to complain about his pocket presence or inablitity to read a defense, that's more relevant.

Right on brother.. That's completely spot on.

I don't care about his speed-- though it would be nice if he had some. It's the other things, basically everything with the exception of a cannon arm, that's a red flag on this kid.

Can't see the Bills taking him.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-28-2011, 05:33 PM
im starting to get bored by the whole thing. its getting too damn frustrating

Tatonka
03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
rich eisen would outrun mallet.

that said.. he isnt clutch.. he doesnt make good decisions.. and he is a douche.. he is drew bledsoe.. god knows i dont want another drew bledsoe.. one of the most overrated qbs ever.

Yasgur's Farm
03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Mallet in round 2 would be great... But I don't want Peterson round 1... I'll take Dareus, Fairley, or Miller before Peterson.

TigerJ
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I would not be thrilled with either Peterson or Mallett, but ultimately the proof is next fall, or so we hope.

Night Train
03-28-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd rather have Peterson over Miller anyday, if Dareus is gone. He can start at any 4 DB positions and return punts. I'd still prefer the phone rings and we trade down for more picks.

No way on Mallet, who plays poorly in the clutch. DL,TE or MLB in Round 2. Quit reaching for average QB talent.

Extremebillsfan247
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Kirwin had us taking Clausen at 9 last year. We all know how that worked out.
I think at this stage the pick at 3 is a very narrow 2 prospect race between Newton and Miller. I don't see Peterson in the conversation. A defensive back ending up a top 5 pick is extremely rare let alone a top 3. Peterson going to us at 3 means he better have a better career than Revis, D. Sanders, or Polamalu for that pick even to be justifiable. Despite how good he was in College, there is no such thing as a safe pick in the draft. That among other reasons is why I don't think Peterson has a prayer of ending up with the Bills at 3. But, that's my opinion.

trapezeus
03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
another CB and then a long shot QB in the second round? is russ brandon still in charge?

I would hate that draft immensely. just bring winfield and losman back at that point.

i'm being serious, if the bills make those two selections, i'm going to root that the season is lost so that the bills pick 3 again without having to watch 16 ****ty games inbetween.

jamze132
03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Why are people so hung up on Mallet's poor 40 time? His 40 time isn't going to make him a good QB. Do you think Rivers, Maining, Brady, Rothlisberger have good 40 times? Now, if you want to complain about his pocket presence or inablitity to read a defense, that's more relevant.
A QB who can operate a spread offense and has the ability to get out of the pocket and run for that first down is what we should be looking for. We can probably find that outside of RD 1.

trapezeus
03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
i think christian ponder may be their third round guy. gailey has worked with him in the senior bowl, they like him, he's coming in on a visit. if he can hold his own, and the bills feel like the defense is up to snuff, then perhaps we get better defensive players and a qb. a real win win scenario for buffalo.

ChristopherWalken
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
I completely disagree with Kirwan.

I don't think Mallett fits Gailey's offensive system. I think that's the primary concern on 40 times. If the Bills are serious about Gailey and serious about chasing down a franchise QB this draft (not my opinion) then Mallett should fall far from the top of the list.

The Bills defensive issues do not begin in the secondary. They need guys upfront to create turmoil and havoc to opposing teams. Corners won't have to keep up nearly enough if the pressure up front is increased.

With that being said, I'm all for Dareus or Miller. Which ever is availble. And if both are available, Dareus is the man.

Bill Cody
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM

Care to wager 1473.53 zone bucks on that?

Bill Cody
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM
i think christian ponder may be their third round guy. gailey has worked with him in the senior bowl, they like him, he's coming in on a visit. if he can hold his own, and the bills feel like the defense is up to snuff, then perhaps we get better defensive players and a qb. a real win win scenario for buffalo.

Not sure Ponder has the arm for Buffalo.

Bill Cody
03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
A QB who can operate a spread offense and has the ability to get out of the pocket and run for that first down is what we should be looking for.

Good chance we'll get that. His name is Cam Newton.

starrymessenger
03-29-2011, 08:49 PM

I hope you are right because if he gets by Minny, the Finns will take him at #15 and we will suffer for the next 10 years.