PDA

View Full Version : I have no enthusiasm for Football right now.

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2011, 11:03 AM
This lockout has really put a damper on my enthusiasm levels. Normally this time of the year all I am talking about is the Bills and what they might do in the upcoming year.

I can name all players and what spot they are on the depth chart.

Right now I don't even know who is where nor have I even given it much thought....

WAY TO GO NFL.... guess this is somewhat preparing me for if the Bills do move.

BlackMetalNinja
07-05-2011, 11:54 AM
This lockout has really put a damper on my enthusiasm levels. Normally this time of the year all I am talking about is the Bills and what they might do in the upcoming year.

Right now I don't even know who is where nor have I even given it much though....

WAY TO GO NFL.... guess this is somewhat preparing me for if the Bills do move.Yup, this is how I've felt pretty much since February. In my case, the continuing suckitude of the team is almost as much as a contributing factor though. I always hate this time of year when baseball is the only thing going, but it's even worse this time around since the prospect of football seems vague. I guess there is college football soon enough though.

Ebenezer
07-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm not looking ahead at all. In February I said to call me when they play the first game. This lockout also shows how pointless most of the offseason stuff is to fans. When they play we will watch. Other than the free agency, schedule release and the draft the NFL could disappear from Feb to Aug and it wouldn't really matter in the end.

The King
07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
This lockout and they success the Bruins have had this year has pretty much put the Bills in a backseat for me. I would say that football and hockey have probably been my top two sports, but more energy has gone into football. Largely because it's less of a commitment but over the last few seasons, with off field antics of some of these spoiled NFL players, as well as the lockout. I am far more excited about hockey come October than I am about football whenever the hell that starts.

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm not looking ahead at all. In February I said to call me when they play the first game. This lockout also shows how pointless most of the offseason stuff is to fans. When they play we will watch. Other than the free agency, schedule release and the draft the NFL could disappear from Feb to Aug and it wouldn't really matter in the end.
Yeah but what about your enthusiasm levels?

The King
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I imagine its similar for you Sabres fans since you finally have an owner that cares.

Ebenezer
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah but what about your enthusiasm levels?

For football?? I have none right now.

Ebenezer
07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I imagine its similar for you Sabres fans since you finally have an owner that cares about winning.

corrected.

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I imagine its similar for you Sabres fans since you finally have an owner that cares.
WHAT ARE YOUR ENTHUSIASM LEVELS FOR FOOTBALL??

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
For football?? I have none right now.
No for Ping Pong.... YEAH FOR FOOTBALL.....

The King
07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
WHAT ARE YOUR ENTHUSIASM LEVELS FOR FOOTBALL??

Low

Ebenezer
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
No for Ping Pong.... YEAH FOR FOOTBALL.....

Sorry, no enthusiasm for football.

OpIv37
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I literally have no enthusiasm for football right now. We don't even know if they are going to play, and if they do play, the Bills are still going to suck. Our only hope at improvement was rookies and 2nd year guys stepping it up, and they aren't going to get better by missing OTA's and training camp due to the lockout. The way I see it, the lockout has already delayed Buffalo's rebuilding by a year, and the best case scenario is that it's 2-3 more seasons before we start seeing results (and it could be much longer than that if some of the things this team is doing don't pan out).

At this point, I almost hope they don't play this year, so I can take the money I would have spent on Sunday Ticket and use it on Center Ice instead. At least there's hope for the Sabres.

TacklingDummy
07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I have no enthusiasm for Football right now.
Why would you? Football means cold weather and we all know cold weather sucks.

madness
07-05-2011, 12:41 PM
The lockout changes nothing for me. Greed ruins everything good in this world. I accept that fact and move on. I'm seriously jonesing for a minicamp right now.

My enthusiasm --> :10:

Captain Obvious
07-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Normally this time of the year all I am talking about is the Bills and what they might do in the upcoming year.

But its the same thing every year Thurmie.. A 10-6 prediction from you

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
But its the same thing every year Thurmie.. A 10-6 prediction from you
I know.... but this year I am lacking enthusiasm..... :(.... 9-7 is all I can muster.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
who cares about football right now? not me.... its summer and Im going to enjoy the warm weather not wish for the cold of fall.
when fall gets here then Im back to football as its the only cool thing thats not cold :)

Jeff1220
07-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Football? Who needs it now anyway? It's summertime and the livin's easy.

Cntrygal
07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm so enthusiastic that I'm considering taking my opener money and going on an extra ski trip.

Michael82
07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm usually getting pumped up for training camp and ready for the regular season. I'm still pumped up, but I drove by St. John Fisher College on my way home from vacation today and got a little depressed because I think that even if the season happens, there won't be a training camp in Rochester this year, which really sucks. :mad: :sadwalk:

Mr. Pink
07-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Just like 1982 and 1987 the fans will get over it regardless of how many games are lost, the league and the owners already know this.

bf1
07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm starting to follow ping pong.

DraftBoy
07-05-2011, 10:05 PM
You got a week to two weeks to get pumped. So start finding that enthusiasm.

jcdavey
07-06-2011, 03:31 AM
no enthusiasm here either

i usually buy the madden game every year, but i just don't see a reason too if there isn't going to be any football

why would anyone

alohabillsfan
07-06-2011, 06:14 AM
I've come to the conclusion that I really dont care....There are other things to do in life.

Luisito23
07-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Apparently not for Thurm...:comedy:

wmoz11
07-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Once we start missing games, I'll get pissed. Until then, I don't care what's going on. I'm already looking ahead at both the college and NFL schedules to see which weeks have great match-ups. Can't wait!

Static
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
when they announce a agreement and a furious free agent period start that's what will get everyone interested again.

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Apparently not for Thurm...:comedy:
Wait aren't I saying I don't have the enthusiasm for it?

BuffaloBillsFan4life
07-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm not looking ahead at all. In February I said to call me when they play the first game. This lockout also shows how pointless most of the off-season stuff is to fans. When they play we will watch. Other than the free agency, schedule release and the draft the NFL could disappear from Feb to Aug and it wouldn't really matter in the end.

Whereas I do agree about "call me when they play the first game." I am pretty bummed with this lockout. But for me, the season starts officially in the beginning of August when I'm looking at transactions, training camp videos, pre-season schedules and of course, planning opening weekend.

No fans are a like. I've been following the strike since it was a possibility. Though I've been completely soured by the whole situation because the owners and players are so far removed from society that it's amazing the fans still watch them.

I just wish they would finish this and play the game but with the latest complaint filed by the retired players, I'm starting to think their won't be a season and you know who I feel worse for- the hourly employees that count on the income they get during the season and the businesses that count on the season for sales.

Night Train
07-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Here in WNY, the Sabres seem to be the club everyone is looking forward to.

I even got a call yesterday from a friend with an offer to buy some Sabres tickets from his brother, who has season tix. They're a tough buy now.

It's sad not to be talking football but the networks will start hammering us with coverage once it starts up, with so much $$ invested in it.

Strange off-season.

OpIv37
07-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Here in WNY, the Sabres seem to be the club everyone is looking forward to.

I even got a call yesterday from a friend with an offer to buy some Sabres tickets from his brother, who has season tix. They're a tough buy now.

Wait, so you're saying that when ownership shows a concerted effort to improve instead of utilizing the proverbial "band-aid on cancer" approach, fans actually want to go to the games?

Why hasn't anyone told Ralph Wilson this?

Saratoga Slim
07-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Low. I've lost a ton of interest.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Just like 1982 and 1987 the fans will get over it regardless of how many games are lost, the league and the owners already know this.
Unless they come back with a better product (e.g. the NHL in '05), that's not necessarily a given. Those two strikes were hiccups in the middle of a season. This has had months to stew in the public discourse, even before there were any significant stoppages, and almost all the press has been negative. This isn't like the NBA or the aforementioned NHL of years past, where there are serious financial problems that need to be fixed. This is a p***ing match between millionaires who want to see the league give multimillion-dollar contracts to players who haven't played a down of NFL ball and billionaires who keep on building unnecessary and ridiculously expensive stadiums on the taxpayers' dime to circumvent the revenue-sharing plans they agreed to. There is very little sympathy for either side, especially when the players' lawsuit is being led by Tom Brady, who has no room to complain about the deal the NFL has given him.

This is more likely going to be more resembling of the 1994 baseball strike, which set back the game for years to come.

BertSquirtgum
07-07-2011, 11:09 AM
the nfl sucks and so does football.

mjt328
07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I know exactly what you mean.
At this time of year, I'm usually preparing for my fantasy football league - ranking players and planning for the draft.

I haven't spent a moment on it this year. I just can't let myself get excited, knowing there is a good chance they are going to screw up the season with a lockout.

mayotm
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm not as excited as usual, yet I've already purchased my plane tickets for the first two home games. I'm sure I'll be as enthusiastic as usual once a deal is in place.

OpIv37
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Come to think about it, it's been years since I've been really excited about this team. I used to get ridiculously pumped for opening day, but that's because they used to have a much better chance at actually doing something. For the past 6 or 7 years now, I just haven't been able to muster the same level of enthusiasm as I used to.

Don't get me wrong- I still watch every minute of every game, and I still look forward to the games, but I can't get as excited about wins, and I've all but stopped getting mad about losses, because in the grand scheme of things it becomes irrelevant when the team is this bad.

Contrast this with the Sabres: I can't wait for hockey to start. The Sabres made some off-season additions and will get Roy back from injury. They were a playoff team last year and they should be even better this year. I'm not willing to declare them Stanley Cup champs, but I know they'll at least have a fighting chance to win it all, and it should be an exciting season even if they come up short at the end.

I miss being able to have that much enthusiasm for the Bills.

Mr. Pink
07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Unless they come back with a better product (e.g. the NHL in '05), that's not necessarily a given. Those two strikes were hiccups in the middle of a season. This has had months to stew in the public discourse, even before there were any significant stoppages, and almost all the press has been negative. This isn't like the NBA or the aforementioned NHL of years past, where there are serious financial problems that need to be fixed. This is a p***ing match between millionaires who want to see the league give multimillion-dollar contracts to players who haven't played a down of NFL ball and billionaires who keep on building unnecessary and ridiculously expensive stadiums on the taxpayers' dime to circumvent the revenue-sharing plans they agreed to. There is very little sympathy for either side, especially when the players' lawsuit is being led by Tom Brady, who has no room to complain about the deal the NFL has given him.

This is more likely going to be more resembling of the 1994 baseball strike, which set back the game for years to come.

The work stoppage loomed through the offseason and preseason in 82. The lockout in 87 saw scabs play and play horribly for 4 weeks as well as one missed game.

There is no way this is worse than either of those.

Cntrygal
07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm not as excited as usual, yet I've already purchased my plane tickets for the first two home games. I'm sure I'll be as enthusiastic as usual once a deal is in place.

I haven't bought my plane tickets yet....

The Popcorn
07-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Right now I don't even know who is where nor have I even given it much thought....

WAY TO GO NFL.... guess this is somewhat preparing me for if the Bills do move.

I wouldn't have any enthusiasm if I were a Bills fan neither. Maybe you're better off if they do move.

BuffaloBillsFan4life
07-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm with you on this one. I am really down about the season. I'm normally counting down right now.

HAMMER
07-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Keep your heads up people, we have some time.

trapezeus
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
i wonder if we would be more forgiving as a fan base if

1. we weren't held hostage with this constant talk of moving
2. the team actually was on the cusp of being good or was already good.

DraftBoy
07-11-2011, 11:58 AM

What are you talking about? Who has to forgive anything?

Everybody here will buy back in at 110% once the CBA is signed and pads starter crunching together.

justasportsfan
07-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Everybody here will buy back in at 110% once the CBA is signed and pads starter crunching together.

I agree. I have my parking spot at St. John Fisher already reserved.

Mr. Pink
07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
What are you talking about? Who has to forgive anything?

I'll be back in come October when the games that matter start!

madness
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I'll be back in come October when the games that matter start!

It's true. I believe he is using the same tactic for our Madden franchise.

trapezeus
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
i think there will be a foggy interest by buffalo fans and fans of teams that aren't good. we dont have a ton to look foward to. And we have another team doing what we've been begging for year. get some decent people, take off the schackles and let them do their thing.

a 12th year of ****ty football and being out of the hunt by mid october will take it's toll. we are all die hard fans, but having a chance to be good or competitive makes the season so much more fun.

DraftBoy
07-11-2011, 04:52 PM
i think there will be a foggy interest by buffalo fans and fans of teams that aren't good. we dont have a ton to look foward to. And we have another team doing what we've been begging for year. get some decent people, take off the schackles and let them do their thing.

a 12th year of ****ty football and being out of the hunt by mid october will take it's toll. we are all die hard fans, but having a chance to be good or competitive makes the season so much more fun.

I have to disagree. I dont see anything on this board or in the media to indicate anybody's interest is wavering in the slightest.

BertSquirtgum
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
i love the bills but i hate the nfl

THATHURMANATOR
07-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't have any enthusiasm if I were a Bills fan neither. Maybe you're better off if they do move.
Your enthusiasm is for male Penis. You always hope it moves.... :ill:

BuffaloBillsFan4life
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Good question. I'm sick of all the comments about the "Toronto Bills" and I've been a bit frustrated with the team.

I think if we were doing good though, I would be even more angry at the lockout!

Homegrown
07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Anyone know of a football message board?

trapezeus
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I have to disagree. I dont see anything on this board or in the media to indicate anybody's interest is wavering in the slightest.

the traffic on the board is down. usually all the posts are current news and goes all year. but now i hardly even come on this forum because sabres stuff and news events are more interesting and have more responses.

i think if we were to have seen a couple games missed and a totally crap "back-up" plan put into effect and had a superbowl, i think people would have been really angry.

but it seems like this will get under way soon and those of us with crappy teams will go back to being the joke of the league and teams that were doing ok, will continue to do well.

OpIv37
07-14-2011, 10:07 AM
the traffic on the board is down. usually all the posts are current news and goes all year. but now i hardly even come on this forum because sabres stuff and news events are more interesting and have more responses.

You're not captivated with the drama in the thread about trying to get a group order together for bootleg authentic jerseys from China?

madness
07-25-2011, 01:00 PM
How about now, *****es?! :D

OpIv37
07-25-2011, 01:08 PM
It's still hard to be enthusiastic when the Bills have almost no chance of having a good season.

Figster
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I love the NFL/Buffalo Bills
:cheers:

THATHURMANATOR
07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I still am not enthused at all..... :ill:

Static
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
when the transactions start i am sure the intrest will come back.

trapezeus
07-25-2011, 02:51 PM
if the sabres didn't have the magical offseason that they did, perhaps i'd just shift back to having football.

i like the bills draft, but i think they got screwed witht his work stoppage. hopefully dareus had the proper training to remain in top shape during the lockout. the guy didn't sign a contract or have any income coming in. So i'm hoping he doesn't get broken in camp.

I think the bills need to get to like 8-8 this year to prove that the rebuild is actually happening and be a playoff team next year. in the meantime, the sabres are a playoff team, and made some huge acquisitions and have a goalie in his prime. i'm still more excited for the sabres season.

OpIv37
07-25-2011, 02:56 PM
when the transactions start i am sure the intrest will come back.

it depends on what the Bills do. If they actually bring in talent, then it will help. If they have a typical FA period of overpaying to retain the mediocre talent we already have then signing some journeyman back-ups that were rejected by other teams, then it isn't going to help.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Not me I'm freaking physced, can't wait till it starts rolling.

trapezeus
07-25-2011, 02:59 PM
come opening day, i'll really be excited with new uni's and new hope.

And the thing is the bills should open the season 2-0. It's the remaining 14 games that will be very troubling.

Ickybaluky
07-25-2011, 03:12 PM
And the thing is the bills should open the season 2-0. It's the remaining 14 games that will be very troubling.

I can understand you being confident at home against Oakland (west coast team travelling east), but at KC is hardly a pushover. They were a playoff team last year and traditionally Arrowhead stadium is a very tough place to play.

mayotm
07-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I can understand you being confident at home against Oakland (west coast team travelling east), but at KC is hardly a pushover. They were a playoff team last year and traditionally Arrowhead stadium is a very tough place to play.Agreed. I would be pleasantly surprised if the Bills won in KC.

Mr. Pink
07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Give a week to two, and it'll be time for official predictions on the season!

Cntrygal
07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Give a week to two, and it'll be time for official predictions on the season!

You're absolutely right!!!

Static
07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
The enthusiasm has come back now!

Blacksheep71
07-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Look on the bright side.

We'll be drafting Andrew Luck come April 2012

hydro
07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Look on the bright side.

We don't ever get that bad. The Bills manage to be bad but not last in the league. So that won't be happening either.

Ingtar33
07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Look on the bright side.

probably... i mean we know the defense didn't get much better, and the rest of the AFC east is looking remarkably better.

1-7 or 0-8 in division. i think we can do that.

psubills62
07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
probably... i mean we know the defense didn't get much better, and the rest of the AFC east is looking remarkably better.

1-7 or 0-8 in division. i think we can do that.
Now, I'm not saying the Bills are looking great, but how exactly is the rest of the AFC East looking remarkably better?

Ingtar33
07-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Now, I'm not saying the Bills are looking great, but how exactly is the rest of the AFC East looking remarkably better?

looking like the Jets probably will get Nnamdi Asomugha; and they kept Santanio Holmes (ugh.... Asomugha and Revis in the same secondary? kill me now). They were brutalized with injuries last year, so they'll get a reset on that problem. Looking like the team to beat (assuming they scoop up Asomugha) in the AFC

The pats just sucked up Haynesworth, if they can motivate him their front 7 will be disgusting to play against. And if you can't run on a BB defense you're in deep ****. The fins got Bush and Orton it looks like (not that bush really matters)... Orton should help them out immediately, as he'll probably be the 2nd best QB in the division on opening day.

Meanwhile we lost one of our best 4 defenders, and have nothing to replace him with other then some rookie mid/late round picks. We still haven't fixed our OT problems, our highest paid pass-rusher is Chris Kelsay, and our QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick. The better question would be me asking you, considering the above, where do you get the confidence we're better than 1-7 vs the division this year?

psubills62
07-28-2011, 02:33 PM
looking like the Jets probably will get Nnamdi Asomugha; and they kept Santanio Holmes (ugh.... Asomugha and Revis in the same secondary? kill me now). They were brutalized with injuries last year, so they'll get a reset on that problem. Looking like the team to beat (assuming they scoop up Asomugha) in the AFC

The pats just sucked up Haynesworth, if they can motivate him their front 7 will be disgusting to play against. And if you can't run on a BB defense you're in deep ****. The fins got Bush and Orton it looks like (not that bush really matters)... Orton should help them out immediately, as he'll probably be the 2nd best QB in the division on opening day.

Meanwhile we lost one of our best 4 defenders, and have nothing to replace him with other then some rookie mid/late round picks. We still haven't fixed our OT problems, our highest paid pass-rusher is Chris Kelsay, and our QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick. The better question would be me asking you, considering the above, where do you get the confidence we're better than 1-7 vs the division this year?
The Jets are definitely in contention for Asomugha, but at this point they've also lost Brad Smith, Damien Woody, Braylon Edwards, and I believe they are losing a DE too? And Asomugha is in no way a given right now.

Dolphins have still lost Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams...while I don't know that either were really that important, replacing them with Bush and a rookie doesn't seem horribly great.

You seem to focus quite a bit on the fact that we lost Posluszny, but are completely ignoring the fact that the other teams are generally losing players too. I think the Pats are the only ones not losing significant players.

I have no problem admitting that the Jets and Pats started out way ahead of us, and the Dolphins slightly ahead of us - but I don't understand how you can say the other teams have gotten "remarkably better." Also don't understand why people say we're "twiddling our thumbs" or "sitting on our hands." Yes, I know people don't give credit for trying, this isn't Little League, but aren't they working on signing some guys? Haven't there been players coming out saying we're showing interest? How is that twiddling our thumbs and sitting on our hands?

Free agency is far from over...in fact, it hasn't even officially started. People need to get a grip already. The other teams have made moves, but they've also lost players. Can't just ignore that because you want to.

trapezeus
07-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I can understand you being confident at home against Oakland (west coast team travelling east), but at KC is hardly a pushover. They were a playoff team last year and traditionally Arrowhead stadium is a very tough place to play.

if the haley lead chiefs needed 5 quarters and ac ouple missed field goals by fancy i to beat the bills last year, i'm pretty sure they are one of those bubble teams that won't really ever materialize. i think haley is a terrible coach and i think that team underperforms for him routinely.

They will not be so good. that's my gut feeling.

THATHURMANATOR
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
AAAAANNNND what are we going to play ourselves and lose to ourselves twice?

How can we go 1-7 or 0-8 in our division?

psubills62
07-28-2011, 03:41 PM
AAAAANNNND what are we going to play ourselves and lose to ourselves twice?

How can we go 1-7 or 0-8 in our division?
Good point. Maybe Ingtar was thinking we'd go 1-1 against ourselves.