PDA

View Full Version : Detroit to the East?

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
According to the Grand Rapids Press, Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold said as much on Monday, telling Minneapolis radion station, KFAN that the Wild would be playing in the Central Division against the Jets, Chicago Blackhawks, Nashville Predators, Dallas Stars and possibly the Columbus Blue Jackets. He made no mention of the Detroit Red Wings, which is the team most likely to move the Eastern Conference to accomodate the Jets' move.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371566

Well, if this is true, the Eastern Conference just got more challenging.

Homegrown
07-12-2011, 02:46 PM
meh ..............

OpIv37
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
meh ..............

it means 3 games a year against Detroit instead of Atlanta, plus the possibility of meeting Detroit in the EC playoffs, rather than only having to worry about them if both of us make the finals.

Detroit's one of those teams that always seems to be good- even when they're having an off year, they're not that bad.

I'd rather deal with Atlanta/Winnipeg.

SkateZilla
07-12-2011, 09:17 PM
this year Winnepeg will play in Atlanta's old division until they re-align.

SabreEleven
07-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Thanks for information everybody knew last month

trapezeus
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
it means 3 games a year against Detroit instead of Atlanta, plus the possibility of meeting Detroit in the EC playoffs, rather than only having to worry about them if both of us make the finals.

Detroit's one of those teams that always seems to be good- even when they're having an off year, they're not that bad.

I'd rather deal with Atlanta/Winnipeg.

if team pegula is getting this right, detroit and buffalo will be big time rivals...again. because we will be building good teams through drafting and key FA acquisitions. and players will want to be here because the team is so good.

possibly short term pains to have a sweet rivalry.

OpIv37
07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
if team pegula is getting this right, detroit and buffalo will be big time rivals...again. because we will be building good teams through drafting and key FA acquisitions. and players will want to be here because the team is so good.

possibly short term pains to have a sweet rivalry.

well, I realize things seem to be different under Pegula, but as a longtime Buffalo sports fan, I don't like the idea of new rivalries. Rivalries usually result in us being someone's *****. Hell, even when we win, we still end up short. We got the better of Boston in the regular season but then they won the damn Cup.

DrGraves
07-13-2011, 09:51 AM
i feel like they wouldnt want to throw off the competitive balance that badly

mightysimi
07-13-2011, 11:52 AM
i feel like they wouldnt want to throw off the competitive balance that badly

How does it throw off the competitive balance? Detroit is not the only good team in the west.

OpIv37
07-13-2011, 12:03 PM
How does it throw off the competitive balance? Detroit is not the only good team in the west.

At the conference level, the West is considered stronger than the East, so trading a below average Eastern team for a strong Western team actually helps the competitive balance.

On a division level, I could see this causing some problems with competitive balance. It certainly weakens the Central Division, and Detroit will most likely be stronger than whoever they displace in the Eastern Conference.

mightysimi
07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
At the conference level, the West is considered stronger than the East, so trading a below average Eastern team for a strong Western team actually helps the competitive balance.

On a division level, I could see this causing some problems with competitive balance. It certainly weakens the Central Division, and Detroit will most likely be stronger than whoever they displace in the Eastern Conference.

Well considering the team would be Winnipeg, there is def a disparity in strength of team.

For now...Go Jets!!!