PDA

View Full Version : After 20 years away, I'm moving back to Buffalo! And will be hosting a Bills TV show

Coach Sal
07-12-2011, 11:52 PM
After many years of thinking about it, trying, and quite frankly making excuses why we CAN'T do it ..... my wife and I have finally made the commitment to move (back, for me) to Buffalo - a place my heart never left.

I am very excited to be coming home.

Of course I'm also sad to be leaving great relationships I've built here in the SW Florida area over the past 16 years as a coach, a teacher, a radio and TV personality, and a friend.

But this is a move I've wanted to make for a long, long time. I always preach to kids I teach and coach that they should never give up on their dreams and goals, never have any regrets in life, and always go for what you want. There are a million excuses NOT to do something. I'm going to practice what I preach and live out my dream and work in the Buffalo sports media and for the very first time in my life, devote myself full-time to my media work.

So, yes, I'll be leaving coaching and teaching and putting every ounce of effort into being the best radio and/or TV personality I can be -- and to do it in Buffalo. Nothing great was ever accomplished by NOT trying!

One of the first things I'll be doing upon my return is hosting the TV show "Out of Bounds" with Bills WR Donald Jones. The show has been running for several years with various Bills as co-hosts. Jones was the co-host last year and will be again this year, along with myself. The show is filmed on location at various WNY restaurants, bars and other businesses, produced by Ghostline Entertainment. It airs on Time Warner Cable each week. Plus we are looking into streaming it on my Justin TV channel (or somewhere else), so everyone can see it, even if you don't live in Buffalo or have Time Warner in Buffalo.

Other than that, as of now, I am basically a media free agent. I do have several possibilities and will be investigating them further. But until something is set in stone, I'll be looking to land a media job in the area. So, if anyone knows (or is) a radio Program Director or a TV news or sports director who is looking for a dedicated, hard-working, passionate about Buffalo individual, I'm here, I'm ready, and I'm going ALL IN!

Also, if anyone owns a bar, restaurant, or other business and would like to either have Out of Bounds filmed in their establishment (where other Bills players sometimes show up and players there do sign autographs and talk with fans, etc) or just advertise on the show, please send me a PM here. I will put you in touch with Brian, the producer of the program.

I'll keep everyone posted on what will happen with my online shows NFL Now! and Buffalo Bills Now! (and coordinated podcasts). We'd like to continue them, but will just have to see where things go and how to do that. The shows WILL both air next week, however. So they haven't gone away as of now. Like I said, I hope to continue to do them.

In the meantime, thank you to everyone here who's always supported me and my shows, and to the Zone and the admins for allowing me to promote them. This place has been a great source of my drive and determination to make this move. Without places like this, the avenue to interact with other Bills fans and about Buffalo itself wouldn't be as great, and of course I wouldn't have been able to get my name and product out there for people to know me. I can't thank you enough for that!!

Also, to be honest, the people who over the years have made remarks such as "mom's basement" and made fun in some way of my hosting an online program (aside from the fact that I actually DO work in "mainstream" radio and TV here in Florida) - YOU have been the BIGGEST source of fuel for me in this move. As a young man who I used to coach used to say, "Those who doubt me, inspire me!" So, thank you, too, for your inspiration!!

Since I'm in the process of the move and things are crazy, I won't be on here as much for the next month or so, but will still be when I can. As soon as things settle down, I'll be back talking Bills football with all of you an, of course, promoting my shows. :)

Thank You!

With apologies to Bart Scott .... "Can't Wait!"

Michael82
07-13-2011, 01:40 AM
That's great news! Can't wait to meet you at the Bills Zone home opener party and congrats on getting to host that show. That's very cool. :bf1:

Electrici
07-13-2011, 02:27 AM
Good luck, I think you're a great personality and will thrive in such a setting. Don't hear of many people moving to Buffalo, sounds like you're doing what you've wanted to do; too many people don't do that/are scared to do it, with regards to moving. You'll do great.

don137
07-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Congrats...I have not listened to the podcast yet of yesterday's show. Will you still be doing Buffalo Bills Now?

T-Long
07-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Very very happy and exciting news Coach! Would love to work with you more in the future and hopefully work with you at some home games! You are the man!

clumping platelets
07-13-2011, 06:28 AM
ZONE LUNCH

Ebenezer
07-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Awesome news!

Jan Reimers
07-13-2011, 07:10 AM
This is definitely a big gain for Buffalo. Good luck, Sal!

The King
07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
:up:

ParanoidAndroid
07-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Awesome! Congratulations, Sal!

By the way.... I want to move back to the area, too, and do the teaching and coaching thing. I'm doing that down here in DC public schools and as soon as my future wife feels good about leaving DC and working in the federal building in Buffalo, we'll be folllowing you back! I'm guessing it's a good 5 years down the road, though!
Just thought I'd share!
Good luck!!!

chernobylwraiths
07-13-2011, 07:36 AM
http://www.weck1230.com/

This is the local radio station that has been growing lately. Brad Riter, a former GR on the air guy is now the program director and is always looking for talent. As a matter of fact, they always have commercials saying how they are the only Buffalo station owned by Buffalo people who are interested in the Buffalo area and they are always looking for talent. They give their number and all kinds of stuff.

Good luck.

Dr. Lecter
07-13-2011, 07:37 AM

This is the local radio station that has been growing lately. Brad Riter, a former GR on the air guy is now the program director is always looking for talent. As a matter of fact, they always have commercials saying how they are the only Buffalo station owned by Buffalo people who are interested in the Buffalo area and they are always looking for talent. They give their number and all kinds of stuff.

Good luck.

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article486405.ece

patmoran2006
07-13-2011, 07:39 AM

This is the local radio station that has been growing lately. Brad Riter, a former GR on the air guy is now the program director and is always looking for talent. As a matter of fact, they always have commercials saying how they are the only Buffalo station owned by Buffalo people who are interested in the Buffalo area and they are always looking for talent. They give their number and all kinds of stuff.

Good luck.

Not anymore (WECK).

Good luck Sal, I am positive we'll hook up-- and who knows.

Dr. Lecter
07-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Good luck. That is awesome news.

better days
07-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Congratulations & Good Luck SAl.

THATHURMANATOR
07-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Very Cool Sal!!!

justasportsfan
07-13-2011, 09:29 AM
For years I've seen people move away from WNY. It's great to see people move BACK.

Congrats and good luck with the move. Does this mean your moms basement will be available?

Extremebillsfan247
07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
It's a sign, the Bills are going to start winning again. New uniforms, new turf, Dareus, and now Coachsal coming back to Buffalo. lol Go Bills... All joking aside, congrats Coach...

hammerbillsfan
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Congrats Sal! This is awesome news :up:

WeAreArthurMoates
07-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Awesome news Coach, cant wait to watch. I can't wait to move back to Buffalo, I'm a Director at YMCA and there's a few openings I'm looking at in the Buffalo area.

EDS
07-13-2011, 10:14 AM
What happens if Donald Jones is cut?

OpIv37
07-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Then they do a podcast from Sal's mom's basement.

Duh.

Coach Sal
07-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Let's hope that doesn't happen, for him and for us.

But the show has run for several years with several different Bills as hosts.

If for any reason Donald can no longer do it, Ghostline Entertainment has always been able to get a player involved.

psubills62
07-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Great to hear, Sal! Congrats on being able to return home.

MidnightVoice
07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
One of the first things I'll be doing upon my return is hosting the TV show "Out of Bounds" with Bills WR Donald Jones. The show has been running for several years with various Bills as co-hosts. Jones was the co-host last year and will be again this year, along with myself. The show is filmed on location at various WNY restaurants, bars and other businesses

Now all you have to do it take it on the road and film Bills Backers bars around the country :D

DraftBoy
07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Way to go Coach!! So happy for you!

chernobylwraiths
07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article486405.ece

What the hell?!

Billz_fan
07-13-2011, 06:09 PM
So happy for you Sal, Always be happy with your progress but just a little short of satisfied and you will continue to move forward with your dreams :up:

YardRat
07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Congrats, Sal. Best of luck with the media gig, hope you find something quickly and prosper.

Awesome! Congratulations, Sal!

By the way.... I want to move back to the area, too, and do the teaching and coaching thing. I'm doing that down here in DC public schools and as soon as my future wife feels good about leaving DC and working in the federal building in Buffalo, we'll be folllowing you back! I'm guessing it's a good 5 years down the road, though!
Just thought I'd share!
Good luck!!!

Hopefully for your sake things might be a little bit straightened out here and schools will be hiring instead of laying off, cutting programs, etc.

Demon
07-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Awesome Sal. Can't wait to watch your new show either in person or TWSN and best of luck of in the move. For even packing your bags and coming back to Buffalo, i have nothing but respect for you. It's a great area and i hope you do very well in your return!

Historian
07-14-2011, 06:10 AM
That's great news! Can't wait to meet you at the Bills Zone home opener party and congrats on getting to host that show. That's very cool. :bf1:

I think you just found the backdrop for your first show, Sal!

A word of caution though: Be careful with the Buffalo Bills. They do NOT like to be criticized, despite how pathetic the performance has been on the field for the last decade or so.

Scott Berchtold is the Buffalo Bills version of Joseph Goebbles....so tread lightly until you become more firmly entrenched.

That being said, congratulations and welcome home.

tomz
07-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Congrats to you. As someone who moved away and misses the area, I envy you.

I'd like to go back but my profession and professional stature make it nearly impossible. I was at the Taste of Buffalo (my brother was chairman) this weekend and saw what I was missing.

Best of luck! With your attitude, you will make it and add a positive asset to the area!

Captain Obvious
07-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Good luck Sal but it is a bit of a risk.. Hopefully the wife doesn't get homesick for the sunny beaches and palm trees of florida

Coach Sal
07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Good luck Sal but it is a bit of a risk.. Hopefully the wife doesn't get homesick for the sunny beaches and palm trees of florida

1. Of course it's a risk. But to achieve great things in life and/or your goals and dreams, there will always be risks and sacrifices. The bigger risk for me is NOT doing it and then always wondering "what if?"

2. My wife is originally from Germany, not Florida. So, no worries about being "home sick." She still loves and misses Germany, and will still love and miss it more than Florida. Plus, Germany's climate is similar to Buffalo's.

One thing about this move is, we're both educated people. We have a great support structure in place with each other, family, and friends. We've planned this for over a year financially and emotionally. We expect there to be some times that are more challenging than we may realize. But we're prepared to take them on and stay as positive as can be and make it work and have a great life there and be a part of the community in any way we can.

Then, from there, who knows what's next?

better days
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
1. Of course it's a risk. But to achieve great things in life and/or your goals and dreams, there will always be risks and sacrifices. The bigger risk for me is NOT doing it and then always wondering "what if?"

2. My wife is originally from Germany, not Florida. So, no worries about being "home sick." She still loves and misses Germany, and will still love and miss it more than Florida. Plus, Germany's climate is similar to Buffalo's.

One thing about this move is, we're both educated people. We have a great support structure in place with each other, family, and friends. We've planned this for over a year financially and emotionally. We expect there to be some times that are more challenging than we may realize. But we're prepared to take them on and stay as positive as can be and make it work and have a great life there and be a part of the community in any way we can.

I just hope you still find the time to podcast.

THATHURMANATOR
07-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Can I be on your show?

OpIv37
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Hey, Charlotte Beach in Rochester is only an hour down the thruway- I'm sure she'll be fine.

THATHURMANATOR
07-14-2011, 01:01 PM
There are tons of bumping beaches right now but you better get to them in the next month and a half!!!

BuffaloBlitz83
07-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Mikey should be your first guest

Dujek
07-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Congrats Sal.

If you ever need to show the Bills' international support you could always fix The Last Buffalo Fan and myself up with plane tickets to Buffalo and we'd be only to happy to provide a Mexican or Irish perspective on the Bills.

ZEUS
07-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Are you nuts leaving Florida for Buffalo? For your sake, let's hope the Bills don't move away in the next couple years.

mrbojanglezs
07-14-2011, 09:54 PM
WGR should hire you and bump bullddog, I think you and schopp would be good radio

justasportsfan
07-15-2011, 07:54 AM
this would mean more inside info from you. Will you be allowed to tell us without getting into trouble?

Spiderweb
07-15-2011, 08:40 AM

From another Ex-Buf, best of luck to you. I've often thought of returning, and in around 2005 it looked like it was a possibility due to a work relo. I ended working in Louisville, KY instead. I must admit though, the thought of NY taxes did rattle my cage more than just a little........

ZAZusmc03
07-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Congrats coach! You will do great things! Its a shame tho, youre coming back to the area, and im leaving.Rochester for Pittsburgh. Blah.