PDA

View Full Version : Is Fitz the answer?

X-Era
09-11-2011, 09:29 AM
This is maybe the single biggest issue with the Bills long term; finding a QB who can take us to the playoffs and SB.

The question has been raised over and over. But, to me this is the decision year. Fitz is a UFA after this year, meaning we have to make a decision on whether we want him as our long term starter one way or another. And because the decision can mean so much to the team success, it becomes a huge potential issue for the Bills.

If I were to look at Fitz based on last year I would have to say that he is not the long term solution. But, he has this year to step up into that role. He has the whole year to get it done. As a Bills fan, I want the long term solution as soon as possible. If that can be Fitz, I will be just fine with that. But, he has to show he can be that guy.

It's and exciting year with hopes of stepping up to the next level. And Fitz is a major part of that. It will be interesting to see if Fitz can become all we need.

TacklingDummy
09-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Long term? No.

YardRat
09-11-2011, 09:34 AM
We'll find out.

Depends more on the rest of the team than it does one position, actually.

OpIv37
09-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Define "answer."

Is he the superstar QB that can lead this team to the Promised Land a la Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Absolutely not.

Is the the "caretaker" QB that could get us a SB win with the right pieces around him, like Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson etc?

Probably, but that would require the team committing to putting the right pieces around him, and I don't ever see Ralph doing that.

Of course, I don't see Ralph finding a superstar QB or paying one if he does happen to find one, so it's a catch-22.

Extremebillsfan247
09-11-2011, 09:40 AM
He isn't a long term answer. However, he is just about to reach the prime of his career as a QB. The Bills potentially could get a very nice 2 to 3 year ride out of him. After that, they will need a QB in place to replace him. JMO

Mad Max
09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Define "answer."

Is he the superstar QB that can lead this team to the Promised Land a la Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Absolutely not.

Is the the "caretaker" QB that could get us a SB win with the right pieces around him, like Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson etc?

Probably, but that would require the team committing to putting the right pieces around him, and I don't ever see Ralph doing that.

Of course, I don't see Ralph finding a superstar QB or paying one if he does happen to find one, so it's a catch-22.

OP I'm in the realist camp with you, but even so I gotta ask, why must you piz in everyone's cheerios on opening day?

Now go find your beer helmet!

X-Era
09-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Define "answer."

Of course, I don't see Ralph finding a superstar QB or paying one if he does happen to find one, so it's a catch-22.Answer to me means he is the guy who does his job to a level that does not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs or SB.

I have been and am now worried that Fitz may become a limiting factor that may prevent this team from making a playoff or SB run.

For me, he is the answer if he doesn't keep us from the playoffs or if he's a reason we go there.

OpIv37
09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Answer to me means he is the guy who does his job to a level that does not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs or SB.

I have been and am now worried that Fitz may become a limiting factor that may prevent this team from making a playoff or SB run.

For me, he is the answer if he doesn't keep us from the playoffs or if he's a reason we go there.

if that's your definition, then I think he could be the answer. He's not the guy that's going to win us games, but he's not the guy that's going to lose us games either.

X-Era
09-11-2011, 09:50 AM
if that's your definition, then I think he could be the answer. He's not the guy that's going to win us games, but he's not the guy that's going to lose us games either.I will conceed that I think he's closer than I used to. But, I actually think he needs to do both. He needs to win us a few games and then not be the reason we lose.

OpIv37
09-11-2011, 09:50 AM
And honestly, right now this team has so many bigger problems than Fitz. I'd like to see us do better than Fitz, but I also think we have some much more pressing concerns. Unless someone like Luck falls into our laps, I wouldn't mind sticking it out with Fitz for a year or two while we fix the OL and DB's.

Extremebillsfan247
09-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Answer to me means he is the guy who does his job to a level that does not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs or SB.

For me, he is the answer if he doesn't keep us from the playoffs or if he's a reason we go there. I think Fitzpatrick could be a good enough QB to get this team to a post season. But, they wouldn't get very far once there. He makes too many mistakes at crucial times in big games. That kind of thing would kill a team in the playoffs. JMO

X-Era
09-11-2011, 09:52 AM
And honestly, right now this team has so many bigger problems than Fitz. I'd like to see us do better than Fitz, but I also think we have some much more pressing concerns. Unless someone like Luck falls into our laps, I wouldn't mind sticking it out with Fitz for a year or two while we fix the OL and DB's.I really don't agree. The OL is the next biggest issue but is easier to fix. JMO.

X-Era
09-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I think Fitzpatrick could be a good enough QB to get this team to a post season. But, they wouldn't get very far once there. He makes too many mistakes at crucial times in big games. That kind of thing would kill a team in the playoffs. JMOAnd to follow that train of thought, he would then not be the real answer. The goal is to win a SB. But yes, the playoffs would be nice.

G Wolly
09-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Fitz isn't the correct answer, but he's a competent answer.

X-Era
09-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Fitz isn't the correct answer, but he's a competent answer.Competent answer? He's capable of starting in the NFL? OK. Maybe you meant to say current answer.

OpIv37
09-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I really don't agree. The OL is the next biggest issue but is easier to fix. JMO.

I don't think we should bother finding a new QB until our OL is competent.

Otherwise, we're just going to get the QB shell-shocked like we did to Losman and Edwards.

G Wolly
09-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Competent answer? He's capable of starting in the NFL? OK. Maybe you meant to say current answer.

Competent in terms of, if he has the necessary tools to work with, he can thrive.

But HE alone won't make that difference.

Mad Max
09-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Competent answer? He's capable of starting in the NFL? OK. Maybe you meant to say current answer.

X man, get off the fence. You hedge more than a ****en hedgehog.

Just say Fitz is NOT the long term answer period, INYO. It's ok, you're allowed to have a STRONG opinion.

I have ZERO doubt that Fitz is not the long term answer, and fully expect that we will be drafting his heir apparent in April 2012. But for now he's all we got, so saddle up cause we're gonna ride that Amish train til it goes off the tracks.

Extremebillsfan247
09-11-2011, 10:06 AM
And to follow that train of thought, he would then not be the real answer. The goal is to win a SB. But yes, the playoffs would be nice.Of course the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Dilfer as a QB. Having a great QB is always nice, but you need a good team around him to win it all. No one probably knows that better than Philip Rivers. JMO

X-Era
09-11-2011, 10:06 AM
X man, get off the fence. You hedge more than a ****en hedgehog.

Just say Fitz is NOT the long term answer period, INYO. It's ok, you're allowed to have a STRONG opinion.

I have ZERO doubt that Fitz is not the long term answer, and fully expect that we will be drafting his heir apparent in April 2012. But for now he's all we got, so saddle up cause we're gonna ride that Amish train til it goes off the tracks.To do so would be claiming I can predict the future.

No. I'm going to give him this year. Because the truth is we have no other choice and since the team is better, he may end up playing better. That's the whole argument right? That Fizt will be all we need when the team around him is adequate. Well, the team is going to be better so shouldn't we then expect Fitz to be better also? That's at the heart of what I was saying about him being a limiting factor. If the team gets good enough for the playoffa but Fitz holds us back, we need an upgrade.

YardRat
09-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I think Fitzpatrick could be a good enough QB to get this team to a post season. But, they wouldn't get very far once there. He makes too many mistakes at crucial times in big games. That kind of thing would kill a team in the playoffs. JMO

Really? Are you comparing Fitz to Peyton Manning? Really?

Mad Max
09-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Of course the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Dilfer as a QB. Having a great QB is always nice, but you need a good team around him to win it all. No one probably knows that better than Philip Rivers. JMO
The Ravens also had one of the best defenses of all time chock full of all-pros...not pro bowlers... legit all-pros.

Their offense also had a coach with big steel balls, a future hall of famer (probably) LT in Ogden, Jamal Lewis in his prime, Sam Gash(in *****es), hall of famer Shannon Sharpe at TE.

I guess my point is, you could have plugged Alex Van Pelt behind those guys and they probably still win the Super Bowl. It's easier to have an All-Pro QB that can actually carry the team partially.

Ala, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger.

Extremebillsfan247
09-11-2011, 10:20 AM
The Ravens also had one of the best defenses of all time chock full of all-pros...not pro bowlers... legit all-pros.

Their offense also had a coach with big steel balls, a future hall of famer (probably) LT in Ogden, Jamal Lewis in his prime, Sam Gash(in *****es), another future hall of famer in Shannon Sharpe at TE.

I guess my point is, you could have plugged Alex Van Pelt behind those guys and they probably still win the Super Bowl. It's easier to have an All-Pro QB that can actually carry the team partially.

Ala, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger.Exactly my point that you need a good team around any QB to win it all. It's fact.

Extremebillsfan247
09-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Really? Are you comparing Fitz to Peyton Manning? Really? You need a lesson in reading comprehension. lol

Mad Max
09-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Exactly my point that you need a good team around any QB to win it all. It's fact.

Of course you need a good team, the QB position can't win it by himself. But when the guy playing that position is a high-caliber player in his own right then it mitigates the requirement to stuff the rest of the team with superstars at every position.

Brees, Manning, Roethlisberger, and especially Rodgers won with teams that had all sorts of sketchy holes in them.

If you think Fitz is up to the task of carrying a team at remotely close to the level of the aforementioned Super Bowl winning QBs you of course have that right, I'm just (and I'm sure many/most others) going to have to disagree.

Luisito23
09-11-2011, 10:40 AM
He's not the long term answer.

mayotm
09-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Fitz kind of reminds me of Rich Gannon. Gannon didn't do much his first several years, but then started getting better as his career progressed. Lets hope Fitz can do the same thing.

Extremebillsfan247
09-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Of course you need a good team, the QB position can't win it by himself. But when the guy playing that position is a high-caliber player in his own right then it mitigates the requirement to stuff the rest of the team with superstars at every position.

Brees, Manning, Roethlisberger, and especially Rodgers won with teams that had all sorts of sketchy holes in them.

If you think Fitz is up to the task of carrying a team at remotely close to the level of the aforementioned Super Bowl winning QBs you of course have that right, I'm just (and I'm sure many/most others) going to have to disagree. I have not once said Fitz was good enough to do that.

jamze132
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM

How can you say that?

Fitz the limiting factor? Come on man!

Look no further than our O-line which is worse than a neglected crack baby in Compton.

Fitz is not the problem with this team, he's actually one of the better players. Not saying much, I know.

Mad Max
09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I have not once said Fitz was good enough to do that.

I had read your Ravens quote which implied that Fitz was...but then I just read your earlier quotes which did state you didn't think Fitz was long term.

So you're kind of throwing off mixed signals.

Whatever, doesn't matter. This horse has been beat enough for now.

X-Era
09-11-2011, 11:28 AM
How can you say that?

Fitz the limiting factor? Come on man!

Look no further than our O-line which is worse than a neglected crack baby in Compton.

Fitz is not the problem with this team, he's actually one of the better players. Not saying much, I know.Please re-read. I said I think he may become a limiting factor. You're right on the team right now we have plenty of other issues to the point where Fitz isn't really causing losses. But as we get better, we get to a point where the team is better than Fitz and Fitz is holding us back. It was simply a prediction of what could happen, not where we are right now.

Syderick
09-11-2011, 11:46 AM
If he does well this season they can build around Fitz and work on other positions

clumping platelets
09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
4 TD passes.....hmmmmm.

zone
09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Not too shabby

X-Era
09-11-2011, 02:28 PM
4 TD passes.....hmmmmm.Certainly a compelling case from this game.

psubills62
09-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Depends on what the question is.

I think he's the answer if we want to make it to the playoffs and compete, but if we want to win a SB, I don't think so, unless we have an absolutely dominant D and running game.

Novacane
09-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I got laughed at for taking Fitz as my Fantasy starter.

Romes
09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I think you should change your name to Fitz-Era

X-Era
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I think you should change your name to Fitz-EraI'm going to go Romes-Era.

YardRat
09-11-2011, 03:57 PM
You need a lesson in reading comprehension. lol

I was being a smart ass.

YardRat
09-11-2011, 03:59 PM
One thing I like about Fitz...He puts the ball out there to give the receivers opportunities to make plays.

jamze132
09-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Please re-read. I said I think he may become a limiting factor. You're right on the team right now we have plenty of other issues to the point where Fitz isn't really causing losses. But as we get better, we get to a point where the team is better than Fitz and Fitz is holding us back. It was simply a prediction of what could happen, not where we are right now.
I still disagree, even before he threw 4 TDs yesterday.

methos4ever
09-12-2011, 09:04 AM
My favorite TD throw of the 4(4!!!) was the post to Donald. One, because it was set up with all the throws to Chandler short so they cheated and Two because he threw it to a spot which Donald then filled. Great anticipation.

justasportsfan
09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Lets see what he can do vs. the Pats first . Remember how bad he looked vs them last year in the 2nd game?

methos4ever
09-12-2011, 09:56 AM
"I stood back there on that one," Fitzpatrick said. "That was great. It wasn't the same play, but it was a similar concept to the first one Scott scored. They all clamped down, and Donald ran around the back."

"I think the guys up front, for everything they took throughout the offseason, throughout the preseason, they did a great job today," Fitzpatrick said. "That group right there has taken that criticism and taken it personal. I'm hoping this is the start to a good season for us up front because they played well today."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article553132.ece

BertSquirtgum
09-12-2011, 09:59 AM
i say the Bills draft a quarterback, sign Fitz and let that quarterback learn behind Fitz. When Fitz sucks too much to handle, throw in the draftee.

X-Era
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM
2 games in and he has exceeded my expectations.

As I said before, he doesn't have to win games for us, but he also shouldn't lose games for us... He's succeeded in both areas.

The TD's, yards, and play has been good to great. But, winning that game on a 4th and 1 is priceless. The good QB's in the league lead there teams to wins just like that. That's the most impressive thing I've seen from Fitz yet.

He's making a real case that he's all we need... so far...

Against the Pats he just needs to play strong. Even in a loss, I'm still fine with him if he plays strong... few mistakes.

PromoTheRobot
09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
And honestly, right now this team has so many bigger problems than Fitz. I'd like to see us do better than Fitz, but I also think we have some much more pressing concerns. Unless someone like Luck falls into our laps, I wouldn't mind sticking it out with Fitz for a year or two while we fix the OL and DB's.

Seriously, genius. Who is "better" than Fitz right now?

PTR

better days
09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
if that's your definition, then I think he could be the answer. He's not the guy that's going to win us games, but he's not the guy that's going to lose us games either.

Well, looks like you were wrong about that Op. Fitz because of his age is not a long term answer, but until the Bills can develop a YOUNG QB, I know Fitz CAN win us some games.

PromoTheRobot
09-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Fitz's stats over the last 16 games played:

316/531 [58.8%] 3627 yds 33 TDs 16 INTs

Jim Kelly's best season as a Bill - 1991:

304/474 [64.1%] 3844 yds 33 TDs 17 INTs

Not there yet but pretty close. You wanna flush this and roll the dice on the next hype out of college?

PTR

better days
09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Fitz's stats over the last 16 games played:

316/531 [58.8%] 3627 yds 33 TDs 16 INTs

Jim Kelly's best season as a Bill - 1991:

304/474 [64.1%] 3844 yds 33 TDs 17 INTs

Not there yet but pretty close. You wanna flush this and roll the dice on the next hype out of college?

PTR

I am all for rolling with Fitz, but the Bills need to get someone to develop behind him because he is no kid.

X-Era
09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I am all for rolling with Fitz, but the Bills need to get someone to develop behind him because he is no kid.He's 28, not 38. If anything he's coming into his prime.

PromoTheRobot
09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
He's 28, not 38. If anything he's coming into his prime.

I was thinking the Bills would draft a QB in 2012 and have him learn behind Fitz for a couple seasons. Now I'm not so sure that'll happen. Maybe a backup. Fitz should have 6-7 good years left.

PTR

X-Era
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
I was thinking the Bills would draft a QB in 2012 and have him learn behind Fitz for a couple seasons. Now I'm not so sure that'll happen. Maybe a backup. Fitz should have 6-7 good years left.

PTRSo, he has to show it over the whole year... He's on his way but there is a lot of football left.

On the draft, I think I would still grab a draftee but maybe a mid-round guy. If his play continues and he gets a new deal it won't be a 1st rounder. I'd place OT and pass rushing OLB ahead of QB. Hell I might put WR, SS, G, and even CB above QB. That said, I'd like a backup option. If Fitz goes down were screwed. And even if he ends the year this way, theres nothing that says he can't regress.

imbondz
09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Fitz has a chance to be great. I hate the idea of drafting a QB, and Fitz always looking over his shoulder. Doesn't ever work. It only works when a QB is in the end of his playing career.

Let's put all our stock behind him, and keep building our OL and strengthen our secondary.

imbondz
09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
If he plays this way all year, if he craps the bed, then yeah. lol.

trapezeus
09-19-2011, 12:33 PM
i think he has to be signed regardless. he needs to be teh QB next year, thigpen isn't very good and doesn't seem as cerebral as Fitz. fitz can be decent and bring up a qb with more athleticism. he should be in buffalo for the next 10 years regardless of if he gets better or worse. and those ten years will be in an AVP role of starter, backup, coach, etc however it works best

i am still afraid that fitz flutters a bunch of balls in this season. what will it look like in november. but if he keeps winning, can you argue that some of his passes aren't pretty?

better days
09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
He's 28, not 38. If anything he's coming into his prime.

Yeah he is coming into his prime. He has some good years left in him but nothing like a Freeman for example.

I'm just saying the Bills should get a young QB to develop behind him which they can also use as the back up QB. Unless you think Thigpen is the answer there.