PDA

View Full Version : It's only been one game, people

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 09:08 AM
To be fair, I think that while most of this board is excited about the win, most of us have also taken the "cautiously optimistic" approach and are trying not to read too much into one good win. I don't see too many people buying their SB tickets just yet. Generally, everyone seems to be taking a reasonable approach.

However, when it comes to smaller issues, people seem to lose sight of the "it's only one game" concept. Here are a couple that caught my eye:

-Lee Evans had 0 catches
-Our O did fine without Evans
-Run D is now our "forte"
-Gailey can use TE's.

All of these things happened ONCE. That's it. And just like the team in general, it's too early to draw conclusions.

All of these things are positive for us, and hopefully they will continue. But let's not pretend these problems have been solved because we pulled it off one time.

mayotm
09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
I agree with this. However, Evans lack of production is becoming a trend. He hasn't been real productive for a few seasons. I still think he'll help the Ravens some, but as I stated after the trade, I don't think the Bills will have a difficult time replacing his production. I'm certainly not going to cheer against Lee just so I can say "I told you so", but not expecting him to put up big numbers in Baltimore.

hydro
09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Never get too high with the highs or too low with the lows. Stay on a even keel.

better days
09-13-2011, 09:14 AM
To be fair, I think that while most of this board is excited about the win, most of us have also taken the "cautiously optimistic" approach and are trying not to read too much into one good win. I don't see too many people buying their SB tickets just yet. Generally, everyone seems to be taking a reasonable approach.

However, when it comes to smaller issues, people seem to lose sight of the "it's only one game" concept. Here are a couple that caught my eye:

-Lee Evans had 0 catches
-Our O did fine without Evans
-Run D is now our "forte"
-Gailey can use TE's.

All of these things happened ONCE. That's it. And just like the team in general, it's too early to draw conclusions.

All of these things are positive for us, and hopefully they will continue. But let's not pretend these problems have been solved because we pulled it off one time.

Way to rain on the parade OP. You couldn't have waited until next week?

Ed
09-13-2011, 09:16 AM
And when we lose a game or play poorly I can only assume that you'll make a new thread telling us not to worry. It's only one game.

The King
09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I think we've all earned a high... personally.

Ickybaluky
09-13-2011, 09:24 AM
You mean, Tom Brady isn't going to throw for over 8,000 yards?

As Ron Jaworski would say, no ****.

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 09:31 AM
And when we lose a game or play poorly I can only assume that you'll make a new thread telling us not to worry. It's only one game.

it depends how it goes.

Like mayotm said, Lee Evans having low production is the continuation of a trend, so maybe that one is correct.

The other things on my list are all things that happened once.

If we lose and, say, Kyle Williams, has a bad game, then I'm not going to come on here and say Kyle Williams sucks. Good players sometimes have bad games.

But, if a player like CJ Spiller or Leodis McKelvin has a bad game, then I'll come on here and say they suck. Why? Because it's the continuation of a trend. It's a recurring situation that never gets any better.

If we lose because a couple of good players have bad games and we make some stupid mistakes, then maybe a "don't worry" thread is in order. If we lose because our run D sucks, our tackles can't block **** and our unproven WR's don't show up, then it's time to worry because it means the Chiefs game was probably an anomaly.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
let the fans enjoy the win and let the coaches realize it's just one game just like Gailey says on bb.com

It's not like people here are talking sb. Not even playoffs.

Mahdi
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I would add the performances of Chandler and Bell to the "only one game" caution.

Other thing we have to realize is that we didn't have a very strong pass rush and against a better QB we might not be as stingy on defense. We need some production from the outside rushers.

mikemac2001
09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
I do agree its one game

But it was a ****ing awesome game

It's really nice to be on the other side seeing fans ***** and leave

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 09:42 AM
let the fans enjoy the win and let the coaches realize it's just one game just like Gailey says on bb.com

It's not like people here are talking sb. Not even playoffs.

I'm not saying people should enjoy the win. Of course we should enjoy the win.

Let's just not talk like our problems have been solved because it's simply too soon to tell.

ChristopherWalken
09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Agreed. Cautiously optimistic....

I'm sure everyone remember the Bills beating the Patriots 31-0 1st game of the season in 2003? The Bills then went on to week two to destroy the Jags 38-17 uping themselves to a 2-0 start -

ONLY to tank 6 of the last 9 games in the season.

I'm stoked they beat the Cheifs! And I really, really, really want to celebrate and buy into the hype...but this IS the Bills we are talking about here.

I have been watching this team for 28+ years and just when things look like they're getting better, they suddenly find a way to make things a bit worse.

I will remain cautiously optimistic even if they decisively beat the Raiders next week.

I will only emerge from my protective shell if one of two things happen to this team in week 3:

A) They beat the Patriots
or
B) They lose but only after playing a really hard fought game without the typical shooting themselves in the foot mistakes that seem to surface when playing New England.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm not saying people should enjoy the win. Of course we should enjoy the win.

Let's just not talk like our problems have been solved because it's simply too soon to tell.

If we didn't realize we had problems then we'd be talking playoffs no?

The celebration for this win will last longer than most wins unless we beat the pats because it's been a while since we won a very impressive game at the start of the season. Let it be.

Bangarang
09-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I knew there was too much damn happiness going on around here. Thankfully, we have people here to keep things in perspective.

/sarcasm

better days
09-13-2011, 10:16 AM
If we didn't realize we had problems then we'd be talking playoffs no?

The celebration for this win will last longer than most wins unless we beat the pats because it's been a while since we won a very impressive game at the start of the season. Let it be.

Not to mention the fuel the Chiefs fan added to the fire before the game was played.

Mahdi
09-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I knew there was too much damn happiness going on around here. Thankfully, we have people here to keep things in perspective.

/sarcasm
No one isn't happy we beat the Chiefs.

Personally, I won't BILLIEVE, until we beat the Pats. That will make me believe that this team has turned the corner.

I remember Lovie Smith said when he was hired, that their first and number one goal would be to beat the GB Packers. They did and then went to the SB.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Not to mention the fuel the Chiefs fan added to the fire before the game was played.
na, all gochiefs did was pour the gas on himself. I like gochiefs but his smack was weak.

psubills62
09-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic as well, Op, and if you've read my posts, you'll see the concerns I had with this game.

That being said...there are still some conclusions you can make from one game. Of course, hindsight has great vision. But with that said, look at the Seattle opening game when Edwards was the QB. We struggled to move the ball offensively, we got points off of a trick play, we really didn't do well and people overrated the opponent.

I think the fact that we did SO WELL is cause for optimism, even if you add the "cautious" label to it. We may be overrating the opponent (although nobody thought they were playoff worthy going in).

The fact that we generally neutralized their best pass rusher all game - I think that indicates we have a slightly better than expected OL, even if we don't neutralize every team's pass rusher every game. The wildcat showed the ability to pick up key third downs, even when EVERYONE knew what was coming. I think we can say our run defense may very well end up being much better than last year, especially since our first team run D was so good in the preseason.

I could keep going, but people have been over this stuff quite a bit. Like I said, I saw a few things that concerned me. And you're right - there are some things we just can't conclude about the team yet. But with that said, I think there are some limited conclusions that can be made after one game.

Like Icky said - Brady won't be throwing for 8000 yards. However, what can we take away from the NE game? I think we can conclude that their TE's will be the main focus of the passing game - that seems reasonable.

Anyway, let's hope the next few games provide reason for outright optimism, without necessarily being cautious.

better days
09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
No one isn't happy we beat the Chiefs.

Personally, I won't BILLIEVE, until we beat the Pats. That will make me believe that this team has turned the corner.

I remember Lovie Smith said when he was hired, that their first and number one goal would be to beat the GB Packers. They did and then went to the SB.

Well don't look for that to happen this year.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I guess this says it best and I agree 150%

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Monday-Press-Conference/4644eb58-a82f-464d-a013-0ae92353f7ce

madness
09-13-2011, 10:39 AM
The whole Gailey-TE thing is just utter nonsense to begin with. Gailey has a specific criteria he seems to stick with. If you fall in that category you will be used effectively. If not, you better get your game up or fall to the wayside.

1. Whatever you do on the football field, you better do it well (including every facet of the position) and you damn well better be consistent at it.

sdbillsfan2
09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
IT's called "Enjoying the moment ! "

we are enjoying the win .. sorry you can't do the same.

...your opinions sound like a broken record !
I guess who ever said " Misery loves company" was right . You keep looking for something to be miserable about. But this week I'm polishing up my rose-colored glass , and walking around San Diego smiling and proud of the fact even with all their faults, MY BILLS, were on the giving end of a good old fashion ass whoppin !!!!
So for the rest of the week I'll savor this win !!
You must be a f'rickin riot at parties with all the realism crap.. Let loose, enjoy, and if you can't, don't rain on others parade. Your whiney as*bull_ _ _ _ is getting old even for a message board. If I send you a buck will you go play out in the street the rest of the week ?
Your right it's only one game . let the rest of us enjoy it!

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 11:33 AM
IT's called "Enjoying the moment ! "

we are enjoying the win .. sorry you can't do the same.

...your opinions sound like a broken record !
I guess who ever said " Misery loves company" was right . You keep looking for something to be miserable about. But this week I'm polishing up my rose-colored glass , and walking around San Diego smiling and proud of the fact even with all their faults, MY BILLS, were on the giving end of a good old fashion ass whoppin !!!!
So for the rest of the week I'll savor this win !!
You must be a f'rickin riot at parties with all the realism crap.. Let loose, enjoy, and if you can't, don't rain on others parade. Your whiney as*bull_ _ _ _ is getting old even for a message board. If I send you a buck will you go play out in the street the rest of the week ?
Your right it's only one game . let the rest of us enjoy it!

First, who says I'm not enjoying the game? I don't know why some of you seem to think you can't be realistic while enjoying something.

Second, when people say run D is our "forte" or that Gailey can use TE's, that's not enjoying the game. that's reading too much into it and using the exception to prove the rule. That's the reality. I'm not raining on anyone's parade- the people saying this stuff simply started the parade too early. It's still dark outside and there's no one lined up to see it, but they're parading down the road anyway.

And third, I didn't whine about anything. I said a lot of good things about what happened on Sunday. I simply pointed out that a few people started the parade too early.

Don't Panic
09-13-2011, 12:07 PM
I think the only things you really need to do to be a fan are:

1. Not compare the current team to past teams... especially the distant past
2. Find the good in what your team is doing
3. Be THRILLED when they win... especially when its a 41-7 win to open a season

I know this doesn't apply specifically to this particular thread, but the theme of this thread is really rooted in the whole idealist/realist "argument" that seems to dominate this board time and again.

CuseJetsFan83
09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
i'd be cautious as well.
pittsburgh losing 32-7 doesn't mean they are a bad team, just had a bad game. so who really knows?

don't forget it was KC that got spanked at home in the playoffs by baltimore if memory serves me right, played in an extremely jekyl and hyde afc west, granted they had one of the top rushing teams in the league.

i won't say the bills are loaded, but you guys do appear to have a solidly built team. barring injuries i can defintely see at least 8-8 if not better.

take it one game at a time and who knows, maybe the patriots jinx will be over this year.

psubills62
09-13-2011, 12:17 PM
i'd be cautious as well.
pittsburgh losing 32-7 doesn't mean they are a bad team, just had a bad game. so who really knows?

don't forget it was KC that got spanked at home in the playoffs by baltimore if memory serves me right, played in an extremely jekyl and hyde afc west, granted they had one of the top rushing teams in the league.

i won't say the bills are loaded, but you guys do appear to have a solidly built team. barring injuries i can defintely see at least 8-8 if not better.

take it one game at a time and who knows, maybe the patriots jinx will be over this year.
I certainly don't mind being compared to the Ravens.

Extremebillsfan247
09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm just excited that we won a game in week 1 instead of week 8.

CuseJetsFan83
09-13-2011, 12:35 PM
the main point though is, as of now the team is 1-0.

as opposed to 0-2...0-5... 1-7

while i won't anoint the bills to be the next playoff contending team, or afc east champion, this will pay dividends with the confidence it builds. especially at new arrowhead stadium.

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm just excited that we won a game in week 1 instead of week 8.

That's fine and that's not what I'm talking about at all.

There's plenty of reason to be excited about the win.

All I'm saying is to be reasonable about the implications and not extrapolate it to conclude that our major problems have been solved. So far, so good, but we are only 1/16 through the season and that's not enough of a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
That's fine and that's not what I'm talking about at all.

There's plenty of reason to be excited about the win.

All I'm saying is to be reasonable about the implications and not extrapolate it to conclude that our major problems have been solved. So far, so good, but we are only 1/16 through the season and that's not enough of a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions.
I agree with you 100% but I guess it comes out different when it's coming from you and I'm sure you know why.

Mad Max
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I agree with you 100% but I guess it comes out different when it's coming from you and I'm sure you know why.
Alan Greenspan once famously warned of "irrational exhuberance".

I remember 2003, when we annihilated the Patriots 31-0 in the season opener.
We were feeling **** strong after that one too.

Unfortunately there was another 31-0 score that season. And not a lot of wins in between.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2003.htm

But since we've been like camels in the desert...and we just found water, we're going to drink it in and drink it in deep.

Philagape
09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
One of the signs of how inept this franchise has been is that fans get so excited over one great game, to the extent that they wrap themselves in it and dismiss, sometimes angrily, any attempt to look at the big picture.
But other fans don't want to be satisfied with one win, now matter how impressive, because this franchise has teased us before and reverted to its default suckage.
Some of us set actual legit contention as the bar for getting excited. Being a winner means winning more than losing. Being relevant isn't enough; the goal is to be elite. I'll start to get excited when the Bills start sniffing the playoffs.

better days
09-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I think the only things you really need to do to be a fan are:

1. Not compare the current team to past teams... especially the distant past
2. Find the good in what your team is doing
3. Be THRILLED when they win... especially when its a 41-7 win to open a season

I know this doesn't apply specifically to this particular thread, but the theme of this thread is really rooted in the whole idealist/realist "argument" that seems to dominate this board time and again.

I think optimist/pessimist are the correct words to use rather than idealist/realist.

ALL of the Bills fans that predicted the Bills would lose to the Chiefs last Sunday were not being realistic, they were being PESSIMISTIC.

trapezeus
09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Damn it, OP, why can't you just accept that we are on the way to the Super Bowl. I've done the modeling. If you take the sample size of this last game and extrapolate it over 16 games, Fitz is going to throw for 64 touchdowns and no interceptions. Book it.

NorthCarBills
09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Loved the win no doubt. Great game and a win like that is long overdue.

But yes, I'm very cautious in terms of my post-game excitement level heading into week 2. Home openers, especially coming out of the gate like they did, can get these guys overly hyped and confident, which can lead to sloppy, costly play.

better days
09-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Damn it, OP, why can't you just accept that we are on the way to the Super Bowl. I've done the modeling. If you take the sample size of this last game and extrapolate it over 16 games, Fitz is going to throw for 64 touchdowns and no interceptions. Book it.

You play to win the game.

One game at a time.

Any given Sunday.

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I think optimist/pessimist are the correct words to use rather than idealist/realist.

ALL of the Bills fans that predicted the Bills would lose to the Chiefs last Sunday were not being realistic, they were being PESSIMISTIC.

You couldn't be more wrong.

We went into THEIR stadium (notoriously one of the toughest places to play in the NFL), with two unproven tackles going up against Tamba Hali and the worst run D from last season going against a great running offense.

Now, it didn't work like that when the game started, and that's why they play the games, but anyone looking at it objectively and realistically would have concluded that the Bills would lose.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 02:18 PM

We went into THEIR stadium (notoriously one of the toughest places to play in the NFL), with two unproven tackles going up against Tamba Hali and the worst run D from last season going against a great running offense.

Now, it didn't work like that when the game started, and that's why they play the games, but anyone looking at it objectively and realistically would have concluded that the Bills would lose.
not really.We played them to an OT game last year and lost via a fg.

THey lost Weiss and lost their TE and in the meantime the bills have upgraded the defense both at DL and lber positions and have a second year under the same system. Anyone using the reasons stated above could come to an objective conclusion that we could win that game.

better days
09-13-2011, 02:19 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. Looking at it objectively the game was a pickem.

EVERYONE should have known this Bills defense was NOT last years defense. Those that did not acknowledge that FACT were NOT being REALISTIC.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 02:24 PM

EVERYONE should have known this Bills defense was NOT last years defense. Those that did not acknowledge that FACT were NOT being REALISTIC.

If anyone said we will hold Charles to less than 70 yards and beat KC 41-7 would not be objective.

Night Train
09-13-2011, 02:27 PM
A raise of hands for those who thought we had played 2 games.

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM

the Bills D was NOT last year's D on paper. It was (and still is) depending on a rookie who hasn't proven a damn thing and a vet who hasn't proven he could stay healthy. Until they actually get RESULTS then it's idealistic to just assume they're better, not realistic.

better days
09-13-2011, 02:31 PM
If anyone said we will hold Charles to less than 70 yards and beat KC 41-7 would not be objective.

I agree. I thought it would be a close game myself, but I had the Bills winning a close game & I think that was just as realistic as to think K.C. was going to win.

And more than a few Bills fans had K.C. winning BIG. That was not objective either OBVIOUSLY.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 02:35 PM
the KC O was NOT last year's O on paper. It is depending on a OC who hasn't proven a damn thing and a QB who hasn't proven he could score in preseason. Until they actually get RESULTS then it's idealistic to just assume they're better, not realistic.

changed things a little bit fo ya!

OpIv37
09-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I agree. I thought it would be a close game myself, but I had the Bills winning a close game & I think that was just as realistic as to think K.C. was going to win.

And more than a few Bills fans had K.C. winning BIG. That was not objective either OBVIOUSLY.

I disagree COMPLETELY.

Their running game vs our run D was a complete mismatch. The only way to not see that is to completely overrate the upgrades to our run D before they even had a chance to prove themselves.

better days
09-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I disagree COMPLETELY.

Their running game vs our run D was a complete mismatch. The only way to not see that is to completely overrate the upgrades to our run D before they even had a chance to prove themselves.

The run game is NOT the ENTIRE game. I remember a Bills team with OJ Simpson that ran the ball really well but did not win all that much.

Obviously their running game was not a mismatch for our defense. Aside from a couple big runs by Charles, he was contained by the Bills defense. Fred Jackson looked like the better back in this game, he picked up the tough yards when they were needed. And the KC defense could not stop him from doing so.

To say the defense would be as bad as last year is to UNDERRATE the defense before they had a chance to prove themselves.

You can disagree with me. As I have told draftboy before, you have the right to be wrong.