PDA

View Full Version : Fitz's Career Completion Percentage Vs. Other QBs

imbondz
01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I know i'm going to come across as a Fitz homer, which i'm not, but we talk about he sucks at accuracy, how much does 5% make in the success of a QB? I would say alot. But what about 1-2% difference in completion rates?

He's comparable to Eli Manning and Matthew Stafford career completion wise. He's actually above both if you just take Fitz's time in Buffalo.

Fitz Career in Buffalo only - 59.9% (in 2011 - 62%)
So against what has been said on this board, he's improved completion % wise.

VS.

Elite QBs Career Completion %:
Drew Brees - 65.9%
Peyton Manning - 64.9%
Brady - 63.8%
Philip Rivers - 63.6%
Ben Roethlisberger - 63.1%

Random QBs

Jay Cutler - 61.1%
Matt Ryan - 60.9%
Matthew Stafford 59.8%
Eli Manning - 58.4%
Alex Smith 58.1%

The Jokeman
01-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I won't be the last to post it but Fitz's problem is he's a very streaky passer. When's he's on, like we saw in the 1st quarter at the Patriots, he's very good. Yet when he's off, like we saw in the other quarters at the Patriots he's hurrendous. I will give him a small break since Stevie and Chandler were out which just says how "good" our depth is.

Mski
01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
as DB and I have said in another thread, completion % doesnt directly correlate to accuracy... but from what i hear from ""experts"" is that 63% seems to be the magical over/under for completion% and long term success... draftboy would probably know best, but i think Kiper says college qb's need to be above 65% to have a chance in the pros

imbondz
01-04-2012, 04:45 PM
as DB and I have said in another thread, completion % doesnt directly correlate to accuracy... but from what i hear from ""experts"" is that 63% seems to be the magical over/under for completion% and long term success... draftboy would probably know best, but i think Kiper says college qb's need to be above 65% to have a chance in the pros

ok great than Fitz is only 1% away since he was at 62% in 2011.

mightysimi
01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
It should be higher with all the 4 yard underneath throws.

Philagape
01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
What way are these QBs trending? When Fitz plays a few good games in the beginning and tanks over the second half of the season, I don't care what his career numbers are.
When it got to be late in the season, and he needed to make a tough throw to keep the Bills in a game, how did you feel when he dropped back to pass? Did you expect the Fitzmagic, or did you think, "oh please oh please oh please ..."
The guy led the league in interceptions. That destroys any other number you can possibly come up with.

Stewie
01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Completion percentage alone doesn't tell the whole story, you have to look at yard per attempt and attempts per interception.

I'd rather take a guy who puts it downfield, and has a 50% completion and a 9.0 ypa, than a guy who likes throwing to his backs and has a 66% completion and a 6.0 ypa. Likewise, I'd rather have a 50% completion rate and 40 throws per interception, than a 66% completion rate and 20 throws per interception.

edit:

To further this line of thought, fitzpatrick was #9 in the NFL among starting QB's in completion percentage. Numbers 10-15 are Hasselbeck, Smith, Ryan, Schaub, Manning and Palmer. All five of those guys had a higher YPA. In fact, you have to go all the way to #21 on the completion percentage list to find a guy (Cassel) with a lower YPA. What does that tell me? What we all know by watching recent bills games; Fitzpatrick couldn't throw the long ball this year. And completion percentage in a vacuum is kinda irrelevant as a stat.

Crisis
01-04-2012, 05:20 PM
What's his YPA look like compared to other QBs with the same completion%?

PTI
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Fitz is no differant than Kelly Holcomb really, and less accurate, KH has career 39 TDs, 38 INTs, a 79.2 QB rating, and think about this, Holcomb had a 63.3 completion percentage, and dude could not sniff a starting spot, and when he played it was before the no touch after 5 yard rule came in as well. Fitz and KH, same problem, KH has a career 6.6 YPA and throws picks as much as TDs and was streaky.

Stewie
01-04-2012, 05:32 PM
the guys within 2 completion percentage points (plus or minus) of fitzpatrick this year, and their ypa, listed in order of completion %

stafford: 7.6
rapistburger: 7.95
rivers: 7.95
freeman: 6.52
fitzpatrick: 6.74
hasselbeck: 6.89
smith: 7.06
ryan: 7.38
schaub: 8.49
manning: 8.38
palmer: 8.39
moore: 7.20
jackson: 6.87
newton: 7.84

These guys ranged from a 60.0 completion (newton) to 64.0 (stafford). As you can see, all of them except freeman had a higher YPA, many by significant amounts.

DrGraves
01-04-2012, 05:42 PM
completion percentage doesn't mean anything if you're throwing as many picks as TD's

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2012, 05:49 PM
completion percentage doesn't mean anything if you're throwing as many picks as TD's

but its ok when brees and eli throw 22 plus picks...

easley-ir
parrish-ir
jones-ir
evans-traded
johnson- groin injury all year
jackson- ir

yet fitz still was avg during the 2nd half of the season..... you guys are impossible...

HES THE QB, GET OVER IT. what do you want to do? give flynn 50mil for 1 good start....

Philagape
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
but its ok when brees and eli throw 22 plus picks...

Yeah it really is, because the good they do outweighs the bad. That cannot be said of Fitz.

BillsFanCupp38
01-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Lets not sugar coat this. Fitz sucks. He is a career back up. He will suffice until we can get someone better in the draft or free agency.

EDS
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah it really is, because the good they do outweighs the bad. That cannot be said of Fitz.

Not to mention 22 picks by Brees goes along with 45 touchdowns. Not so much for Fitz.

Crisis
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM

The SB rings ease the pain a little bit.

Ickybaluky
01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think a HC is happy with 20+ interceptions from any QB. Those guys don't do that every year.

If you look at Brees, his career Int% is only 2.7%, to go with a career comp% of 65.6% and career YPA of 7.4.

Manning has a career Int% of 3.3%, to go with a career comp% of 58.4% and YPA of 7.0.

Fitzpatrick has a career Int% of 3.7%, to go with a career comp% of 59.2% and a YPA of 6.3.

I think that is what those guys are. Brees is a stud. Manning is erratic at times, but can get the ball downfield. Fitzpatrick is erratic at times and struggles getting the ball downfield.

Fitzpatrick isn't as terrible as some make him out to be. He goes through periods where he plays well, but the more he throws the more likely he is to play to his level and make mistakes. He can fill in short-term until a QB is developed, but not the long-term answer at QB.

The league has morphed to the point where you need a QB who can throw down-field. The rules and style of play have evolved that it is needed to win a championship, IMO. The Jets have been a good team the last couple years, but they couldn't win a championship because their QB couldn't do enough. Fitzpatrick is the same way, he could probably get a good team to the playoffs, but he can't take them to that next level.

ddaryl
01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Sorry Fitz doesn't suck.. he is an average QB doing an average job with below average talent surrounding him.

He was paid an average QB wage and he represents the best thing we've had at QB for over decade.

I would love to upgrade the QB position, because I only see Fitz as an average QB. However when you have a team that allows 30+++ points a game you force the Offense into throwing more and doing desperate things to get back into a game which skews the stats just the same. When you have a team that rotates 3 LT's and 3 centers through out the year that too has an effect. When you lose a few of your WR's early in the year that has an affect as well. When you lose you rock solid starting RB that also hurts.

Fitz's long ball is of concern, but hatred for Fitz from some isn't warranted

Stewie
01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry Fitz doesn't suck.. he is an average QB doing an average job with below average talent surrounding him.

He was paid an average QB wage and he represents the best thing we've had at QB for over decade.

I would love to upgrade the QB position, because I only see Fitz as an average QB. However when you have a team that allows 30+++ points a game you force the Offense into throwing more and doing desperate things to get back into a game which skews the stats just the same. When you have a team that rotates 3 LT's and 3 centers through out the year that too has an effect. When you lose a few of your WR's early in the year that has an affect as well. When you lose you rock solid starting RB that also hurts.

Fitz's long ball is of concern, but hatred for Fitz from some isn't warranted

I agree with this. Fitz is an average QB. We have barely built an average team around him.

This team should go out and get a better prospect QB if one becomes available. But until then, there's no reason to replace an average QB with another average QB. He's good enough until his supporting cast is above average.

JCBills
01-05-2012, 12:09 PM

60%

DraftBoy
01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
60%

Depends on the offense, 60% is the draftable line. If a QB never hits 60's in college its probably not a good idea to draft him. Of course there are exceptions to that.

JCBills
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Depends on the offense, 60% is the draftable line. If a QB never hits 60's in college its probably not a good idea to draft him. Of course there are exceptions to that.

Yep, at least under the Parcells model it is 60%. I like to look for prospects that get at least close, taking the system they're in as well as what they have around them, hitting exactly 60% isn't always necessary.

A guy like Lindley could have gone either way, but his trend of improvement in that area reversed, at least in the numbers. I only saw 2 games of him this season, as I didn't make it a priority due to the downturn. This is why I like Cousins.

ddaryl
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I agree with this. Fitz is an average QB. We have barely built an average team around him.

This team should go out and get a better prospect QB if one becomes available. But until then, there's no reason to replace an average QB with another average QB. He's good enough until his supporting cast is above average.

Completely agree.. Fitz knows the position well, so he would be a good to great mentor for the right prospect. None of the complaints about Fitz really change the fact that he does see the field well and knows where to place the ball, his inaccuracy and long ball struggles shouldn't keep him from being able ot mentor a more accurate stroger armed QB.. If Fitz can help us groom the mental portion of a solid prospect then Fitz can still pay major dividends to this franchise

stuckincincy
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I know i'm going to come across as a Fitz homer, which i'm not, but we talk about he sucks at accuracy, how much does 5% make in the success of a QB? I would say alot. But what about 1-2% difference in completion rates?

He's comparable to Eli Manning and Matthew Stafford career completion wise. He's actually above both if you just take Fitz's time in Buffalo.

Fitz Career in Buffalo only - 59.9% (in 2011 - 62%)
So against what has been said on this board, he's improved completion % wise. What a winner he was...

VS.

Elite QBs Career Completion %:
Drew Brees - 65.9%
Peyton Manning - 64.9%
Brady - 63.8%
Philip Rivers - 63.6%
Ben Roethlisberger - 63.1%

Random QBs

Jay Cutler - 61.1%
Matt Ryan - 60.9%
Matthew Stafford 59.8%
Eli Manning - 58.4%
Alex Smith 58.1%

Ex-Bill Kelly Holcomb - King of the Six-Inch pass - rings in with 63.3 % What a winner he was...

ServoBillieves
01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
63% of you forgot that Fitzy is throwing to cast offs, late draft picks and UDFA's. Must be nice to like another team where they have the luxury of legit receivers.

better days
01-05-2012, 02:47 PM
63% of you forgot that Fitzy is throwing to cast offs, late draft picks and UDFA's. Must be nice to like another team where they have the luxury of legit receivers.

Yeah, like the Broncos. LOL. They have great receivers, it is all Tebows fault. Well, in spite of WRs WORSE than the Bills have, Tebow led that team to the playoffs.....even if they did back in.

The only way the Bills will get any GOOD WRs is to draft them because NO good WR will want to come to Buffalo with Fitz at QB when he can go to a team with a GOOD QB.

ServoBillieves
01-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Ex-Bill Kelly Holcomb - King of the Six-Inch pass - rings in with 63.3 % What a winner he was...

Kelly Holcomb never was considered, nor ever was a 16 game starter in the NFL. Shane Matthews was in contention with JP and him, so I cannot believe that stupidity of bringing up Holcomb. Fitzy started 16 games... cincy I usually don't argue with you but wow that was reaching.

I want an elite quarterback too, but everyone else has plenty of pipe dreams.

In other news Brian Moorman has a GREAT passer rating at 117.9 for his career.

Championship.

ServoBillieves
01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, like the Broncos. LOL. They have great receivers, it is all Tebows fault. Well, in spite of WRs WORSE than the Bills have, Tebow led that team to the playoffs.....even if they did back in.

The only way the Bills will get any GOOD WRs is to draft them because NO good WR will want to come to Buffalo with Fitz at QB when he can go to a team with a GOOD QB.

Did the Broncos have to play the Patriots (who, we beat) and Jets twice this season? Didn't they have to play the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders, who have no direction twice this season, and STILL ended up 8-8? Someone has to win, and that's an absolute shame. coming from that worthless division.

Lloyd (traded) Marshall (traded) Royal (a great WR when given the chance) blah blah blah blah... Tebow has thrived solely of off his defense. They may be worse in Denver, but we have a worse (unhealthy) D. It all evens out in the end.

JCBills
01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Did the Broncos have to play the Patriots (who, we beat) and Jets twice this season? Didn't they have to play the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders, who have no direction twice this season, and STILL ended up 8-8? Someone has to win, and that's an absolute shame. coming from that worthless division.

Lloyd (traded) Marshall (traded) Royal (a great WR when given the chance) blah blah blah blah... Tebow has thrived solely of off his defense. They may be worse in Denver, but we have a worse (unhealthy) D. It all evens out in the end.

This is a regular bar discussion with me. People clamor over Tebow getting them to the playoffs and winning this and that. That has been the worst division in football for a while. Like you said, someone has to win. Tebow just happens to be there when it happens.

Philagape
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Tebow is holding his receivers back, not vice-versa.
After how Tebow has imploded now that teams know how to defend him -- that doesn't take long when a skill set is so limited -- how he can still have fanboys is an embarrassment to humanity.

Stewie
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
This is a regular bar discussion with me. People clamor over Tebow getting them to the playoffs and winning this and that. That has been the worst division in football for a while. Like you said, someone has to win. Tebow just happens to be there when it happens.

Exactly. In what other division would a three game losing streak qualify a team to get into the playoffs?

JCBills
01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Exactly. In what other division would a three game losing streak qualify a team to get into the playoffs?

In what other division would college football work?

I love Tosh's bit on Tebow.