PDA

View Full Version : 2012 High Riser Team

DraftBoy
01-10-2012, 07:36 AM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/01/2012-high-riser-team/

Every year we see countless media outlets produce countless All-American teams and every year they all look roughly the same with one or two surprises. We have nothing against those lists and in fact enjoy reading and discussing those lists every year. We wanted to create our own All-American team but not really make so much about being an All-American.

72 players whose seasons had a positive effect on their stock many of whom you probably don't know yet.

Ed
01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Your two DE's on the first team, Melvin Ingram and Whitney Mercilus, are two guys I'm really intrigued by and wouldn't mind seeing the Bills grab one of them.

I've read that Ingram is versatile enough to play as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. What do you think both of these players best positions/systems are?

DraftBoy
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Your two DE's on the first team, Melvin Ingram and Whitney Mercilus, are two guys I'm really intrigued by and wouldn't mind seeing the Bills grab one of them.

I've read that Ingram is versatile enough to play as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. What do you think both of these players best positions/systems are?

Not all that high on either in all honesty. Ingram I see as a classic tweener. I know I definitely don't want him at 34 OLB ever. 43 DE, 34 DE, or 43 DT are probably where I'd project him. He's a strong side DE in a 43 who can move his man. However he's inconsistent with his motor, he doesn't have really good moves, and his hand usage is only ok.

Mercilus is a guy who flew up draft boards with his sack numbers but isn't that strong v. the run. When 16 of your 22.5 TFL are sacks that usually says something about the run awareness. He hits like a freight train when he can get a running start and closes on the QB well. I think he's stiff in the hips and plays too upright though, he comes out of his stance high and stays high. He must get his pad level down some if he hopes be as effective in the pros.

k-oneputt
01-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Jerel Worthy is better then and will be a better pro then every dt on your list.

DraftBoy
01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Jerel Worthy is better then and will be a better pro then every dt on your list.

Which has no bearing on what this list is actually about. Did you read the introduction?

better days
01-10-2012, 05:09 PM
DraftBoy, what do you think of the East-West & Senior Bowls as far as an insight to picks?

DraftBoy
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
DraftBoy, what do you think of the East-West & Senior Bowls as far as an insight to picks?

I think it helps settle some discussions between player x and y in terms of rankings or helps you to know you need more film or to look at a guy again.

In the end everything is still decided based on what the film tells you. Most scouts will get down to the all-star event the morning of the first day for official weigh-ins and only stay for 1-2 days of practice and almost never actually attend the game.

Practice is for the scouts and personnel folks, the game is for the fans.

TigerJ
01-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I've heard it said that a poor all star performance will not hurt a prospective pro player as much as a great performance will help him.

DraftBoy
01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I've heard it said that a poor all star performance will not hurt a prospective pro player as much as a great performance will help him.

Absolutely true.

You're going against the best of the best, so if you struggle to some degree that's ok. However if you dominate...well that's saying something.

Mski
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Mercilus is a guy who flew up draft boards with his sack numbers but isn't that strong v. the run. When 16 of your 22.5 TFL are sacks that usually says something about the run awareness. He hits like a freight train when he can get a running start and closes on the QB well. I think he's stiff in the hips and plays too upright though, he comes out of his stance high and stays high. He must get his pad level down some if he hopes be as effective in the pros.hmm sounds eerily similar to someone the bills drafted in the 1st round before

DraftBoy
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
hmm sounds eerily similar to someone the bills drafted in the 1st round before

In fairness to Mercilus he plays much heavier than Maybin.