PDA

View Full Version : Report: Dolphin's #1 priority is to get Peyton Manning

ThunderGun
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM
A Dolphins source tells the Miami Herald that the team's offseason priority is to acquire Peyton Manning.

It makes us wonder if the Colts might pay Manning's March 8 roster bonus and try to swing him to the Dolphins in a trade. Per the Herald, the Dolphins have not even shown preliminary interest in free agent Matt Flynn. The Fins apparently believe they have a roster ready to compete for Super Bowls after the addition of a franchise quarterback. Even if it's only a quick fix.

Source: Miami Herald

Wtf......Brady and Manning twice a year? This better not happen.

B-DON
01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Thank God the dolphins blow and manning more than likely will want nothing to do with them. No way colts keep him and pay the 28 mil and then trade him. I heard a reporter say if that scenario happens, the colts take like a 38 million dollar cap hit next year. Not sure if that's 100 percent true but no way the colts trade him IMO

ThunderGun
01-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't think they'll trade him. I bet the Colts cut him, and all the QB-needy teams (except for us, of course) go after him.

Goobylal
01-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Manning probably won't even be able to play in 2012. Forget him.

mrbojanglezs
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I hope the dolphins trade 2 first round picks for him and then manning retires a year later

Johnny Bugmenot
01-25-2012, 07:53 PM
They also said that about a big-name head coach. They ended up with a coordinator.

I don't think even Buffalo could mangle a coaching search that bad.

I have zero faith in Miami actually being able to lure Manning.

Jaydog57
01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
They also said that about a big-name head coach. They ended up with a coordinator.

I don't think even Buffalo could mangle a coaching search that bad.

I have zero faith in Miami actually being able to lure Manning.
Generally every head coach started out as a coordinator waiting for his shot. I just hope this guy makes the most of his opportunity.

I'm not too concerned with getting Manning. With him turning 36 this year, he's only got a couple more years left in the tank. :peace:

TrEd FTW
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
lol. Good luck with that, Miami.

TigerJ
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Manning said a long time ago that he wanted to spend his entire career with one team. I think that if the Colts make it clear to him that he's done as a Colt, his strong inclination will be to retire. Miami would have to do one terrific sales pitch to change his mind. I'm not expecting they'll be successful.

Mike13
01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Miami is actually the best option out of all the QB needy teams.

And the fear in this thread amuses me.

BertSquirtgum
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't think anyone is going to see Peyton Manning play another game of professional football.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
If Manning was physically able to play, I think Miami is his best spot. Dont see him signing with Washington (would need to be traded for the Redskins to have him). Heard Arizona brought up, but don't see that since they went out and got Kolb. I think the Jets would be Miami's only true competition. My dark horse team would be the Ravens. With Flacco getting a lot of heat and Lewis and Reed getting up in age, Ravens could snag him and hope its enough to get a last push to the SB.

Of course thats even if Manning can play and is willing to play for another team.

Cali512
01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
If Manning was physically able to play, I think Miami is his best spot. Dont see him signing with Washington (would need to be traded for the Redskins to have him). Heard Arizona brought up, but don't see that since they went out and got Kolb. I think the Jets would be Miami's only true competition. My dark horse team would be the Ravens. With Flacco getting a lot of heat and Lewis and Reed getting up in age, Ravens could snag him and hope its enough to get a last push to the SB.

Of course thats even if Manning can play and is willing to play for another team.

What they should do is package deal the 1st overall pick with Manning and get another teams entire draft for the next 2 years!

Cali512
01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't think anyone is going to see Peyton Manning play another game of professional football.

Idc how good Luck is, if your going to start him ahead of Manning, thats stupid. I understand that Luck is also the reincarnation of jesus, but still. Manning is a HOFer and hasnt lost a step since he came in the NFL. If he looks like his injury is severly effecting him by week 5, put Luck in, but why in the hell put a rookie in front of a HOFer. Its just not logical, and now i feel like im on the indi message boards lol

BADTHINGSMAN
01-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Idc how good Luck is, if your going to start him ahead of Manning, thats stupid. I understand that Luck is also the reincarnation of jesus, but still. Manning is a HOFer and hasnt lost a step since he came in the NFL. If he looks like his injury is severly effecting him by week 5, put Luck in, but why in the hell put a rookie in front of a HOFer. Its just not logical, and now i feel like im on the indi message boards lol

I think Hurkey was talking more about his medical condition rather then starting Luck over Manning.

Personally I think Manning is done as a Colt. New GM and Coach with No. 1 overall pick and a stud QB in the draft. If Indy is indeed rebuilding then do so with Luck over Manning.

RedEyE
01-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Personally, I'd be suprised if Peyton plays another down. What does the guy have left to prove? He's done it all. And being that he had to go overseas to get some unothodox surgery (that is currently illegal in the states) just further projects the seriousness of his injury. One wrong tackle and Peyton becomes the Stephan Hawkins of the pro football world.

With that being said, if Peyton still has "the bug" and wants to compete, the Colts may have no choice but to deal him to a team in search of a QB, like Miami.

And I have to think even an over-the-hill Peyton, hoping on one leg with his throwing arm tied behind his back is better than what 75% of the teams have in the league.

Manning is one of the few QBs in the league that manages the game from the line of scrimmage. He is very much like Jim Kelly in that respect. Perhaps better than Jim at calling plays from the line. His own OC if you will. Relying on the crew upstairs to provide input rather than actually tasking.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Generally every head coach started out as a coordinator waiting for his shot. I just hope this guy makes the most of his opportunity.

I'm not too concerned with getting Manning. With him turning 36 this year, he's only got a couple more years left in the tank. :peace:
It'd be one thing if that was their stated intention, and it isn't bad. Plenty of very good coaches have come out of the coordinator ranks, and no head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams. However, after they axed Sparano, they came out and said they were looking for a head coach with experience and a name brand. Fisher, Gruden, Cowher. They were destined to fail. The media probably pays those names more to do nothing but pontificate than they would as a head coach.

Not dissing the new Miami HC, but Miami didn't live up to their own expectations.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2012, 09:09 AM

No there not, Washington, Arizonia are far better options.

Jaydog57
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM
It'd be one thing if that was their stated intention, and it isn't bad. Plenty of very good coaches have come out of the coordinator ranks, and no head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams. However, after they axed Sparano, they came out and said they were looking for a head coach with experience and a name brand. Fisher, Gruden, Cowher. They were destined to fail. The media probably pays those names more to do nothing but pontificate than they would as a head coach.

Not dissing the new Miami HC, but Miami didn't live up to their own expectations.
Yeah, we were set out to have a hard time finding an experienced good head coach, given our less than awesome owner/general manager combo.

The Jokeman
01-26-2012, 10:09 AM
A Dolphins source tells the Miami Herald that the team's offseason priority is to acquire Peyton Manning.

It makes us wonder if the Colts might pay Manning's March 8 roster bonus and try to swing him to the Dolphins in a trade. Per the Herald, the Dolphins have not even shown preliminary interest in free agent Matt Flynn. The Fins apparently believe they have a roster ready to compete for Super Bowls after the addition of a franchise quarterback. Even if it's only a quick fix.

Source: Miami Herald

Wtf......Brady and Manning twice a year? This better not happen.
Philbin's been the OC for Green Bay for all of Flynn's tenure, I find it difficult to believe the team isn't interested in him at all.

THATHURMANATOR
01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Actually they are not.

trapezeus
01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
i would hope they go after him. i think manning would be a hershel walker trade in the wings.

i don't think peyton is going to play a sustained season like he had in years past. i could see him come out, rip up the league for 2-4 weeks. and then step out and just be out for a long time with people saying, "it's week to week." but in the end he did nothing.

i think the real play for miami is Flynn. it's cheaper, they don't have to give up anything and he's probably ready to go for about 5-7 years.

i also like manning. even as a dolphin, i would have a hard time hating him.

PromoTheRobot
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Hardly. I can think of 3-4 better destinations: Arizona or Chicago come to mind. Jets, Cowboys and Bucs aren't out of the question.

PTR

DynaPaul
01-26-2012, 12:27 PM
What a bunch of dummies. Instead of trying to get Manning NOW they should have taken Brees THEN. Instead they went with Culpepper.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Arizona would be a great option for peyton. Nice weather, young talent, and larry fitz

Mike13
01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Hardly. I can think of 3-4 better destinations: Arizona or Chicago come to mind. Jets, Cowboys and Bucs aren't out of the question.

PTR

Arizona has too much invested in Kolb, the same goes for NY and Dallas.
Freeman is not the problem in Tampa.

If Manning is healthy it would be a great hire. He would a much better supporting cast here than in Indy or Arizona.

Albany,n.y.
01-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Philbin's been the OC for Green Bay for all of Flynn's tenure, I find it difficult to believe the team isn't interested in him at all.
Why?
If we lost an assistant, do you think Tyler Thigpen would be a hot commodity for the coach to bring with him?
If Philbin is not interested at all in Flynn, maybe he's seen enough of Flynn to realize the guy is fool's gold. He's seen the guy for 4 years and if he doesn't think he's the answer in Miami, there's a good reason for it.
Coaches who see players every day in practice know a lot more about them than anyone else-they know their strengths & their weaknesses. If he's truly not interested in bringing Flynn to Miami, Philbin knows those weaknesses will cause Flynn problems when the NFL gets enough film on him.
If Miami shows no interest in Flynn, other teams would be wise not to count on him to be their solution at QB.

better days
01-26-2012, 01:33 PM
i would hope they go after him. i think manning would be a hershel walker trade in the wings.

i don't think peyton is going to play a sustained season like he had in years past. i could see him come out, rip up the league for 2-4 weeks. and then step out and just be out for a long time with people saying, "it's week to week." but in the end he did nothing.

i think the real play for miami is Flynn. it's cheaper, they don't have to give up anything and he's probably ready to go for about 5-7 years.

i also like manning. even as a dolphin, i would have a hard time hating him.

Well, in the first place, I doubt Manning is ever healthy enough to play again, but if he is, I seriously doubt the Colts could pay & trade him. If he leaves the Colts, it will be as a FA.

User Manuel
01-26-2012, 01:57 PM
They had also hoped to hire a big name coach. Its hard to give something away when no one wants it.

Miami doesn't have the cache anymore folks. The owner is a mess and the front office isn't much better. Furthermore, I can't imagine Peyton going to a team that has a long, long way to go, Miami is on par or worse then we are now.

I gotta believe the Jets and, yes, I'm gonna say it, Cowboys seem the front runners to me.

better days
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
They had also hoped to hire a big name coach. Its hard to give something away when no one wants it.

Miami doesn't have the cache anymore folks. The owner is a mess and the front office isn't much better. Furthermore, I can't imagine Peyton going to a team that has a long, long way to go, Miami is on par or worse then we are now.

I gotta believe the Jets and, yes, I'm gonna say it, Cowboys seem the front runners to me.

Well, if Peyton were healthy, I think S.F. would be the best team for him to go to. GREAT defense, great running game, decent receivers, a HEALTHY Manning could win a couple Super Bowls on that team.

Albany,n.y.
01-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, in the first place, I doubt Manning is ever healthy enough to play again, but if he is, I seriously doubt the Colts could pay & trade him. If he leaves the Colts, it will be as a FA.
There is a way for the Colts to trade him: He renegotiates the contract twice-1st time with the Colts delaying the payment to a later date, 2nd time with new team based on his ability to play. He then can be traded with a deal already in place that takes place 1st day trades can be made-trades are agreed upon before trading begins all the time (we did that with Jax & Rob Johnson years ago).
The trade has no 2012 draft picks involved & is based on Manning's ability to play in 2012 & beyond.

Historian
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Last week it was the Jets...Go figure.

SABURZFAN
01-26-2012, 04:21 PM
if this happens, i hope Moats gives him the Favre treatment.

better days
01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
There is a way for the Colts to trade him: He renegotiates the contract twice-1st time with the Colts delaying the payment to a later date, 2nd time with new team based on his ability to play. He then can be traded with a deal already in place that takes place 1st day trades can be made-trades are agreed upon before trading begins all the time (we did that with Jax & Rob Johnson years ago).
The trade has no 2012 draft picks involved & is based on Manning's ability to play in 2012 & beyond.

WHY would Manning WANT to do that? If the Colts don't pay him, he will be a FA & in much better position to get to the team he wants than if the Colts are involved.

Goobylal
01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
The Colts will be forced to cut Manning. Meaning he'll be a FA and free to sign with anyone.

The problems for Manning are that he's had 3 surgeries on his neck and he still isn't healthy enough to play. Beyond that, his neck muscles have atrophied and he'll need to strengthen them before he even thinks about setting foot on a playing field.

The problems for Miami are that they're not even remotely an attractive destination for Manning. They were a 5 win team and just fired their HC and lost most of their coaching staff, including a great DC in Mike Nolan. Furthermore, Philbin never even called the plays in Miami. Why anyone thinks Miami would be a desirable place for Manning is beyond me. But that is a blessing in disguise for Miami because as I've said elsewhere, Manning was already in decline before getting injured, is now even more damaged goods, and won't come cheap.

jamze132
01-27-2012, 06:49 AM

I would absolutely love to see Peyton Manning wearing a Dolphins uni next season.

jamze132
01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Manning is one hit away from a telethon.

Novacane
01-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Please don't happen. I don't want to have to hate Peyton Manning.

stuckincincy
01-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Manning is one hit away from a telethon.

:laughing:

Mike13
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM

LOL you have to be stupid to think Manning would want to join that franchise thats in complete meltdown mode.

Not to mention the fact that manning wouldnt buy into Ryan's **** philosophy.

Or the fact that NY has simply invested too much in Nacho.

LtFinFan66
01-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Thank God the dolphins blow and manning more than likely will want nothing to do with them. No way colts keep him and pay the 28 mil and then trade him. I heard a reporter say if that scenario happens, the colts take like a 38 million dollar cap hit next year. Not sure if that's 100 percent true but no way the colts trade him IMOhmmm...if the Dolphins blow so, so bad....I feel really sorry for Bills fans. Just sayin'