PDA

View Full Version : Courtney upshaw looks slow

Lefty2985
02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
I am not a college guy by any means but when I have seen him play he looks slow and not a great pass rush presents. What do you guys think I know a lot o ppl want us to pick him

BuffaloBlitz83
02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
I'll be interested in his combine times

Skooby
02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
So did an overweight Bruce Smith.

YardRat
02-18-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't think he's going to light up anybody's 40 clock.

djjimkelly
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
terell suggs

or should we call him T sizzle

anyway he ran slow at combine and he is a beast

so.......

jamze132
02-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Slow? That's your knock?

I'll take Upshaw at #10 without a doubt.

dannyek71
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
LT all the way.

better days
02-18-2012, 04:34 PM
LT all the way.

Yeah, because LT was the biggest problem area on the team last year. LOL.

DraftBoy
02-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah, because LT was the biggest problem area on the team last year. LOL.

LT was a big problem after Bell went down and he is a Free Agent. Even then Bell got beat a decent amount but early on Fitz was getting the ball out quickly.

The LT spot needs plenty of help, the sacks allowed stat is a somewhat misleading with that.

better days
02-18-2012, 05:05 PM
LT was a big problem after Bell went down and he is a Free Agent. Even then Bell got beat a decent amount but early on Fitz was getting the ball out quickly.

The LT spot needs plenty of help, the sacks allowed stat is a somewhat misleading with that.

Do you think the lack of protection at LT by Buffalo was a bigger problem than the failure to get to opposing teams QBs?

YardRat
02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Do you think the lack of protection at LT by Buffalo was a bigger problem than the failure to get to opposing teams QBs?

Pass rush may be the most glaring need, but part of that is attributed to the dumbass DC. LT is a huge need, unless Hairston can step up really quick, and I know there are some that believe he won't be able to unless it's on the right side.

better days
02-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Pass rush may be the most glaring need, but part of that is attributed to the dumbass DC. LT is a huge need, unless Hairston can step up really quick, and I know there are some that believe he won't be able to unless it's on the right side.

Well, Wanstadt has said the Bills need to put pressure on the QB. They need players to do that. The defense especially a pass rush is a much bigger need than the OL.

Just watch who the Bills draft early........it won't be a LT.

SaviorEdwards
02-19-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm not sure of any player who has great success in the SEC who is slow.

jamze132
02-19-2012, 02:56 AM
I don't think Nix and Co. will give two thoughts about taking a LT at #10. They know their most glaring hole is getting to the QB.

Buffalo was near the league leaders in least sacks allowed. Not sure why you would look to "fix" that "hole" when you have craters on the other side of the ball.

YardRat
02-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Well, Wanstadt has said the Bills need to put pressure on the QB. They need players to do that. The defense especially a pass rush is a much bigger need than the OL.

Just watch who the Bills draft early........it won't be a LT.

Not disagreeing that they will, and should, go pass rush with their top pick if one is there but also don't want to downplay the need for a OT.

better days
02-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Not disagreeing that they will, and should, go pass rush with their top pick if one is there but also don't want to downplay the need for a OT.

Well, IMO, people calling for a LT in the 1st rnd are OVERPLAYING that need. I would take a CB or WR before a LT in the 1st. Both of those positions are a greater need than LT. If Bell is resigned, the Bills will be fine at LT. If they don't sign Bell, they can make do with who is on the team & a mid rnd pick.

It is much harder to find anyone to rush the passer with consistency in the mid rnds than it is an OT.

DraftBoy
02-19-2012, 09:59 AM

I think they are 1a and 1b in terms of need. I dont really value one higher than the other because both are so big.

better days
02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I think they are 1a and 1b in terms of need. I dont really value one higher than the other because both are so big.

Well, I TOTALLY disagree with you. I think Bell gets resigned, but even if not, the Bills can make due. DE & OLB are the two positions of greatest need. After that CB & WR are a greater need than LT IMO.

If they don't draft a pass rusher, who will do that? Merriman? Moats?

JCBills
02-19-2012, 11:51 AM
So did an overweight Bruce Smith.

Bruce was also 6'4'' with long arms and exceptional hand use.

BertSquirtgum
02-19-2012, 12:33 PM
LT all the way.

Please lay off the hooch sir.

TedMock
02-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Well, I TOTALLY disagree with you. I think Bell gets resigned, but even if not, the Bills can make due. DE & OLB are the two positions of greatest need. After that CB & WR are a greater need than LT IMO.

If Bell re-signs, I'd say the pass rusher is a slightly bigger need. If Bell doesn't re-sign, I do not see how we can make due. The LT spot flat out sucked once Bell went down. Think about it. We were forced to play Hairston and Levitre there. Neither is a LT and neither played well there. Even Bell, who made drastic improvements, was an okay pass protector and a below average run blocker.

TedMock
02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure of any player who has great success in the SEC who is slow.

Brandon Spikes ran something like a 5.05.

better days
02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
If Bell re-signs, I'd say the pass rusher is a slightly bigger need. If Bell doesn't re-sign, I do not see how we can make due. The LT spot flat out sucked once Bell went down. Think about it. We were forced to play Hairston and Levitre there. Neither is a LT and neither played well there. Even Bell, who made drastic improvements, was an okay pass protector and a below average run blocker.

BOTH Hairston & Levitre played better than ANY pass rusher last year after Merriman went down. If the Bills don't resign Stevie then what do they have at WR? CB consists of an OLD oft injured McGee as the #1 CB.

Like I said DE & OLB are the two biggest needs followed by CB & WR. Then LT. Watch who they sign/resign & how the Bills draft. I'm betting the Bills front office agrees with me.

better days
02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Brandon Spikes ran something like a 5.05.

Well, at Florida, he ran a 4.76 in 2010. So he had a bad time at the combine. That is just proof not to put too much weight on combine numbers. Spikes is a GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER.

YardRat
02-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Well, IMO, people calling for a LT in the 1st rnd are OVERPLAYING that need. I would take a CB or WR before a LT in the 1st. Both of those positions are a greater need than LT. If Bell is resigned, the Bills will be fine at LT. If they don't sign Bell, they can make do with who is on the team & a mid rnd pick.

It is much harder to find anyone to rush the passer with consistency in the mid rnds than it is an OT.

Hypothetically speaking, if zero OT's go in the first nine picks we'd be dumbasses to not grab one (unless by some miracle Coples is still on the board also).

better days
02-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Hypothetically speaking, if zero OT's go in the first nine picks we'd be dumbasses to not grab one (unless by some miracle Coples is still on the board also).

OK, I would agree with that. If the BEST OT is there to be had, the Bills should grab him at 10. I DOUBT that will be the case.

DraftBoy
02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
BOTH Hairston & Levitre played better than ANY pass rusher last year after Merriman went down. If the Bills don't resign Stevie then what do they have at WR? CB consists of an OLD oft injured McGee as the #1 CB.

Like I said DE & OLB are the two biggest needs followed by CB & WR. Then LT. Watch who they sign/resign & how the Bills draft. I'm betting the Bills front office agrees with me.

Are you comparing DE to OT's?

DraftBoy
02-19-2012, 02:03 PM

The Bills can make do? With whom? By moving one of our best OG's to OT and creating another hole or playing Hairston who clearly showed last year he didnt have the feet to play LT?

Unlike LT's, pass rushers can and will be found later in the draft. Guys like Ronnell Lewis, Jonathan Massaquoi, Vinny Curry, Cam Johnson, Whitney Mercilus, Chandler Jones, and Andre Branch should all be there in the 2nd Round and beyond.

We all basically think Coples will be gone, but what if Upshaw is too? Are you telling me you'd rather reach for Melvin Ingram or Nick Perry than take Mike Adams, or Riley Reiff? That just doesn't make any sense. LT's are a far more limited commodity than pass rushers.

tampabay25690
02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
The Bills can make do? With whom? By moving one of our best OG's to OT and creating another hole or playing Hairston who clearly showed last year he didnt have the feet to play LT?

Unlike LT's, pass rushers can and will be found later in the draft. Guys like Ronnell Lewis, Jonathan Massaquoi, Vinny Curry, Cam Johnson, Whitney Mercilus, Chandler Jones, and Andre Branch should all be there in the 2nd Round and beyond.

We all basically think Coples will be gone, but what if Upshaw is too? Are you telling me you'd rather reach for Melvin Ingram or Nick Perry than take Mike Adams, or Riley Reiff? That just doesn't make any sense. LT's are a far more limited commodity than pass rushers.

If the Bills go OT at #10 Im fine with it.
There are some studs after Khalil.
I wouldnt mind if we took a CB, WR, or DE prospect either.
I dont consider Ingram a reach at #10 at all, but Perry I consider a later 1st round guy.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-19-2012, 02:29 PM
i think ingram is good, but a little iffy... he just doesnt scream top 10 to me. i would rather take kirkpatrick who is better than any LT..

better days
02-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Are you comparing DE to OT's?

Well, I am comparing their relative play.I think the Bills lost more games due to a lack of a pass rush & poor defense in general than they did because of poor play at LT.

better days
02-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Well, maybe those guys will be there & maybe there will be a rush & they will be gone by the end of the 1st. I saw on NFL 32 this morning (I had recorded on my DVR) Kiper has Ingram rated over Upshaw. Not saying he is right, but the more I read & hear about Ingram, the more I like him. I would still prefer Upshaw at 10 but if he is gone, I would be happy with Ingram.

Where do you expect Adams & Reiff to be drafted? Maybe the Bills could come back into the 1st to grab Adams.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
i think ingram is good, but a little iffy... he just doesnt scream top 10 to me. i would rather take kirkpatrick who is better than any LT..
I think your short sighting things and look at the draft as a round by round analysis. Instead look outside the first round because if we take a CB in Round 1, where is he going to end up playing? Most likely as a nickel back as think it's fair to say that in 2012 our starting CBs are going to be Drayton Florence and Aaron Williams. Would it be wise to take a nickelback with the 10th overall selection? No. Instead you take a guy like Reiff, who if Bell is lost in UFA, would likely be our starting LT as he is a lot more talented than Hairston. Of course I know someone will come back and say well let's take Ingram or Upshaw as their way better than we have at DE now. True but at the same time one could argue that guys like Vinny Curry, Andre Branch and Whitney Mercilus could be there in Round 2 can also fill that void and give us a better overall team.

As anyone who watched the Bills last year with an objective eye can clearly see that this team struggled on offense when Bell was not starting at LT. While Hairston played well as a rookie he didn't overtake the position when Bell got healthy which to me is a sign he's a guy to look at RT or a depth guy. Yes, I know we had no pass rush to speak of last year too but there are some serious questions about most of the DE prospects in the top 10 not named Coples in how well they fit in a 4-3 D and instead of taking on a flyer on a guy that fits an immediate need I take a better player in another position I feel is a concern. I mean this is one of the few times that the stars might be aligned that the Bills will be in position to draft a quality LT prospect and they'll still be one on the board.

YardRat
02-19-2012, 03:18 PM

I don't agree with that at all...Hairston showed promise early on and admittedly struggled later in the season with the rest of the team but by no means was it 'clear' that his footwork eliminates him from playing LT at this level.

better days
02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
I think your short sighting things and look at the draft as a round by round analysis. Instead look outside the first round because if we take a CB in Round 1, where is he going to end up playing? Most likely as a nickel back as think it's fair to say that in 2012 our starting CBs are going to be Drayton Florence and Aaron Williams. Would it be wise to take a nickelback with the 10th overall selection? No. Instead you take a guy like Reiff, who if Bell is lost in UFA, would likely be our starting LT as he is a lot more talented than Hairston. Of course I know someone will come back and say well let's take Ingram or Upshaw as their way better than we have at DE now. True but at the same time one could argue that guys like Vinny Curry, Andre Branch and Whitney Mercilus could be there in Round 2 can also fill that void and give us a better overall team.

As anyone who watched the Bills last year with an objective eye can clearly see that this team struggled on offense when Bell was not starting at LT. While Hairston played well as a rookie he didn't overtake the position when Bell got healthy which to me is a sign he's a guy to look at RT or a depth guy. Yes, I know we had no pass rush to speak of last year too but there are some serious questions about most of the DE prospects in the top 10 not named Coples in how well they fit in a 4-3 D and instead of taking on a flyer on a guy that fits an immediate need I take a better player in another position I feel is a concern. I mean this is one of the few times that the stars might be aligned that the Bills will be in position to draft a quality LT prospect and they'll still be one on the board.

You guys that talk about how bad the Bills were on offense must have been in the bathroom taking a leak when the Bills were on defense.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
You guys that talk about how bad the Bills were on offense must have been in the bathroom taking a leak when the Bills were on defense.
The Bills D was horrible last year but it comes down to this:

Bills roster - Bell + Reiff + Vinny Curry > Bills roster - Bell + Upshaw + Zebrie Sanders.

It's about improving the overall team.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't agree with that at all...Hairston showed promise early on and admittedly struggled later in the season with the rest of the team but by no means was it 'clear' that his footwork eliminates him from playing LT at this level.
Simply put who do you think will be a better NFL LT, Riley Reiff or Chris Hairston? and by what margin? In comparison who do you think will be a better NFL 4-3 DE Courtney Upshaw or Vinny Curry and by what margin?

kingJofNYC
02-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Hairston is the only tackle signed on this roster, that's it.

Free agency will clear things up, but if you have the chance to pick up a franchise LT at 10, you do it. You're not going to pick one up in the 2nd, it's rare. You can get lucky with a DE though.

CleveSteve
02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Jokeman, Coples is not without his own questions.

As far as expecting Mercilus, Curry, and Branch being there at 41, I expect you'll see no more than one of them there by that point. Mercilus I think will be a top 25 and curry could be a target of Cleveland, Tampa, new England (who likes bigger OLBs and are in need of pass rush, too... picks 27 and 31) and maybe even green bay. Branch I've seen in mocks anywhere from 26 to the third round, so who knows?

alohabillsfan
02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Well statsically speaking the Bills were #1 Oline giving up 23 sacks, consider we lost our LT, C and RB (who lead the NFL at that time). And we were 27th in Sacks I would say DE and DE/DT/or OLB is 1B.

I dont see the bills taking a tackle till rounds 4-6, unless someone drops into their laps.

YardRat
02-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Simply put who do you think will be a better NFL LT, Riley Reiff or Chris Hairston? and by what margin? In comparison who do you think will be a better NFL 4-3 DE Courtney Upshaw or Vinny Curry and by what margin?

You mock the first nine picks and I'll tell you who the Bills should take at #10.

CleveSteve
02-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Jokeman, you are right about the OT premium, though. Kalil, reiff, Adams, Martin will all be gone by the Bills second round pick. There's a big drop-off from there at LT and a bunch or RTs. Sanders I think is kind of a bum. Only other guy I'd draft to try to develop into a starting LT is Jeff Allen, and I think using #41 for that would probably be too early.

Bottom line is if the bills want a starting LT in the draft, they'd better draft him in the first. I think with where the pass rushers' value falls in this draft, they should probably either take OT first and hope a RDE falls to 41 then take LDE at 74, or if possible, trade down to 14-18 for another 2nd rounder and take an OT, then trade their 2nd and 3rd to get back into the first for mercilus or curry and use the new 2nd on an OLB or CB.

better days
02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
The Bills D was horrible last year but it comes down to this:

Bills roster - Bell + Reiff + Vinny Curry > Bills roster - Bell + Upshaw + Zebrie Sanders.

It's about improving the overall team.

Well, I disagree with you premise. For one thing you have no way of knowing that Curry would be there when the Bills pick in the 2nd rnd, for another a better player than Sanders could still be on the board in the 2nd when the Bills pick than Sanders. Maybe Curry.

Upshaw + Curry + Bell > Bell + Reiff + Curry.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Jokeman, Coples is not without his own questions.

As far as expecting Mercilus, Curry, and Branch being there at 41, I expect you'll see no more than one of them there by that point. Mercilus I think will be a top 25 and curry could be a target of Cleveland, Tampa, new England (who likes bigger OLBs and are in need of pass rush, too... picks 27 and 31) and maybe even green bay. Branch I've seen in mocks anywhere from 26 to the third round, so who knows?
The reasons Coples has questions as he had an excellent Jr year and failed to reproduce it his Sr year. The loss of Butch Davis and a wealth of talent from his team all played a part. Yet in the end of the day Coples has the size and skill set to be a very good left DE and possibly right DE 4-3. I don't see him landing to us at all.

So then we have to debate Ingram vs Upshaw. I've stated before I side more with Ingram as he's shown to be a playmaker. In that wherever Spurrier put him he ended up making plays. It's not to say Upshaw isn't a great talent but I wonder if he's a product of a great college team and coach in Nick Saban running things at 'Bama. That said if were still running a 3-4 than I'd have no problems taking Upshaw. Yet with it looking (at least from my vantage point) that Bell won't be retained I say get that LT (like Reiff or Martin) that we can draft and fill the position for the next 4 or 5 years and not worry.

As if look as the draft as a jigsaw puzzle there appears to be more talent on the D-line side than the O-line side so that's why I'd rather wait then take a DE sooner.

better days
02-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Jokeman, you are right about the OT premium, though. Kalil, reiff, Adams, Martin will all be gone by the Bills second round pick. There's a big drop-off from there at LT and a bunch or RTs. Sanders I think is kind of a bum. Only other guy I'd draft to try to develop into a starting LT is Jeff Allen, and I think using #41 for that would probably be too early.

Bottom line is if the bills want a starting LT in the draft, they'd better draft him in the first. I think with where the pass rushers' value falls in this draft, they should probably either take OT first and hope a RDE falls to 41 then take LDE at 74, or if possible, trade down to 14-18 for another 2nd rounder and take an OT, then trade their 2nd and 3rd to get back into the first for mercilus or curry and use the new 2nd on an OLB or CB.

Well, I would like to see Bell resigned & the Bills won't need to worry about a LT in the draft. They have more pressing needs at other positions if Bell is a Bill. He needs to be resigned.

To not resign Bell, would be similar to drafting Spiller when they had Lynch. Spiller may prove to be a good player, but they had a good player in Lynch & could have drafted someone to help the team much more rather than filling a hole with Spiller that should not have been made.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, I disagree with you premise. For one thing you have no way of knowing that Curry would be there when the Bills pick in the 2nd rnd, for another a better player than Sanders could still be on the board in the 2nd when the Bills pick than Sanders. Maybe Curry.

Upshaw + Curry + Bell > Bell + Reiff + Curry.
Then replace Curry's name with another Round 2 graded DE prospect and/or Sanders name with a Round 2 graded LT prospect and show me an example where Reiff + DE < Upshaw/Ingram + LT. The point am making is getting the most talent to fill (potential) holes this team will have in 2012. Again look at the whole picture of the draft as a group not as a round by round thing and you'll see this plan of attack might be better than just taking a DE in Round because we need a pass rusher.

CleveSteve
02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Curry is a good choice as a LE, especially when you have two big, dominant tackles like you guys do in Dareus and Williams. A lot of the draftniks I talk to compare Curry to Jabaal Sheard. I don't think he's quite that good, but he plays with the same kind of effort. Curry would be interesting next to talented players, though.

better days
02-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Then replace Curry's name with another Round 2 graded DE prospect and/or Sanders name with a Round 2 graded LT prospect and show me an example where Reiff + DE < Upshaw/Ingram + LT. The point am making is getting the most talent to fill (potential) holes this team will have in 2012. Again look at the whole picture of the draft as a group not as a round by round thing and you'll see this plan of attack might be better than just taking a DE in Round because we need a pass rusher.

My point is that if Bell is resigned, there is no hole at LT because Bell fills that hole. I would rather not draft an OT until later in the draft if at all if Bell is resigned. There are far more pressing needs than LT. I would see who is there at CB or WR in the 2nd if Curry is gone rather than a pedestrian LT in Sanders.

TedMock
02-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Well, at Florida, he ran a 4.76 in 2010. So he had a bad time at the combine. That is just proof not to put too much weight on combine numbers. Spikes is a GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER.

I agree with the not putting too much stock in it. I was just pointing out that some players could play well in the SEC and not be burners. Keep in mind that the "official" times at the combine and some pro days are electronically timed at the finish. What a guy runs while the coaches hand time him are typically faster, but less accurate. Again, it's not a huge deal because he was a baller and he can still play.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
You mock the first nine picks and I'll tell you who the Bills should take at #10.

Colts: QB Andrew Luck
Redskins: trade w/ Rams: QB RGIII
Vikings: OT Matt Kalil
Browns: RB Trent Richardson
Bucs: CB Morris Claiborne
Rams: WR Justin Blackmon
Jaguars: DE Quinton Coples
Panthers: DT Devon Still
Dolphins: OT Johnathan Martin

better days
02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Dolphins OT Johnathan Stewart

What are the redskins going to give up to move all the way up to #2? I think it is much more likely that Cleveland at #4 moves up to #2 myself & drafts RGIII.

TedMock
02-19-2012, 05:09 PM

I don't disagree that DE, OLB, CB are all huge needs. They are. I am saying that if the LT is the greater talent at that point we would have to consider it. I would rather not reach for need. I would love a DE and OLB in 1 and 2 if the value is right. I am all for that. In fact, I think that is very realistic and a very good bet. I would also be okay with DE/OT or OT/DE. I think we look at CB and TE somewhere in rounds 3-5 as well. I also think a late round QB makes sense. This team has holes in most places. There is average talent at a lot of positions and below average talent at some. We could upgrade just about everywhere. The only spot I do not want in rounds 1 or 2 is WR. Don't get me wrong - it's a huge potential need, but it's the last of the skill positions to build from. QB and RB, for example are bigger needs in a cold weather city. Having said that, I want Stevie Johnson re-signed.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
What are the redskins going to give up to move all the way up to #2? I think it is much more likely that Cleveland at #4 moves up to #2 myself & drafts RGIII.
I just see Dan Snyder being a more aggressive owner than the Browns and as a result think they'd be more apt to make the trade. In terms of what the trade was, who knows maybe Washington's 1st and 2nd and 5th in 2011 and 1st in 2012. Again I was asked to produce a mock 9 pick draft inwhich I did and now waiting to see what's selected by GM Yardie Nix.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 05:19 PM
My point is that if Bell is resigned, there is no hole at LT because Bell fills that hole. I would rather not draft an OT until later in the draft if at all if Bell is resigned. There are far more pressing needs than LT. I would see who is there at CB or WR in the 2nd if Curry is gone rather than a pedestrian LT in Sanders.
I just don't see us keeping Bell. As Nix pointed out he felt he was a great talent but always gettting injured. As to me that's a red flag when a GM says a guy's injury prone as if we really wanted to keep him we wouldn't be talking down about him.

better days
02-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I just don't see us keeping Bell. As Nix pointed out he felt he was a great talent but always gettting injured. As to me that's a red flag when a GM says a guy's injury prone as if we really wanted to keep him we wouldn't be talking down about him.

Why not talk him down before negotiations on a new contract begin? That sounds like a plan to get him to ask for less to me.

better days
02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I just see Dan Snyder being a more aggressive owner than the Browns and as a result think they'd be more apt to make the trade. In terms of what the trade was, who knows maybe Washington's 1st and 2nd and 5th in 2011 and 1st in 2012. Again I was asked to produce a mock 9 pick draft inwhich I did and now waiting to see what's selected by GM Yardie Nix.

well, no question Snyder is AGGRESSIVE. I would love to see him give up the farm for RGIII & have RGIII turn out to be a huge bust.

TedMock
02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

This is what makes it tough. Bell is a bit of a wild card. On one hand, he improved drastically and looks like he may be a good ball player soon. On the other hand, injuries have made me a bit gun shy on him as a go-to guy at the LT spot. The other problem is the depth isn't very good behind him.

YardRat
02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Dolphins OT Johnathan Stewart

Well, it's your mock, but I don't see Martin going before Reiff.

Under this scenario, I would still go with Ingram and re-sign Bell. I've lost a little interest in Upshaw, and I would only consider Reiff if we were fortunate enough to pick up somebody like Avril or Williams in FA, although admittedly it would be a tough call for me.

Now, switch out the OT's and have Miami take Reiff, leaving Martin on the board which is the more likely scenario...Do you take the third best OT prospect at ten, or somebody else?

Just FYI...I still maintain if Coples is there at 6 or 7 Buffalo will try to trade up to get Coples.

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, it's your mock, but I don't see Martin going before Reiff.

Under this scenario, I would still go with Ingram and re-sign Bell. I've lost a little interest in Upshaw, and I would only consider Reiff if we were fortunate enough to pick up somebody like Avril or Williams in FA, although admittedly it would be a tough call for me.

Now, switch out the OT's and have Miami take Reiff, leaving Martin on the board which is the more likely scenario...Do you take the third best OT prospect at ten, or somebody else?

Just FYI...I still maintain if Coples is there at 6 or 7 Buffalo will try to trade up to get Coples.
I think the Dolphins go Martin than Reiff as need more help at RT than LT. Though if Martin is there instead of Reiff. I'd than trade down to somewhere in the early to mid teens and hope Ingram's still around or m maybe take a guy like Nick Perry.

YardRat
02-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I think the Dolphins go Martin than Reiff as need more help at RT than LT. Though if Martin is there instead of Reiff. I'd than trade down to somewhere in the early to mid teens and hope Ingram's still around or m maybe take a guy like Nick Perry.

I avoided taking the trade-down route :D

The Jokeman
02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
This is what makes it tough. Bell is a bit of a wild card. On one hand, he improved drastically and looks like he may be a good ball player soon. On the other hand, injuries have made me a bit gun shy on him as a go-to guy at the LT spot. The other problem is the depth isn't very good behind him.
That's why I see another team taking the chance on him than us. As again Nix mentioned the injury thing. If it wasn't a big deal think he wouldn't have mentioned it. Not to mention we do have Hairston to step in if we can't find anyone in the draft or through UFA that's better. Again I'd prefer to re-sign Bell but the way the Bills management seems to operate he's more likely gone than kept.

CleveSteve
02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't think you have to worry about 'ifs' YR. Coples will IMO definitely be there at 6 and 7 unless something drastically changes:

Indy: Luck (RGIII)
Rams: Kalil (Blackmon)
Vikings: Claiborne (Kalil, Blackmon)
Browns: RGIII (Luck, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne)
Bucs: Richardson (Claiborne, Blackmon)
Redskins: Blackmon (RGIII, Richardson)

I don't really see where coples fits in there.

Jacksonville at 7 is really the first place Coples makes sense. They need a pass rush and fell for Derrick Harvey really high in the past as well. They do have Aaron Kampman, but he can't be relied on to be anywhere near what he provided for the Packers in the past. They've got Alualu at DT but could use another guy next to him. On the other hand, they've got nobody in the secondary under contract who is worth a damn, so they just might go CB here if they like Kirkpatrick or Jenkins. Add on top of that the fact that they had the 32nd-ranked offense by a full 400 yards despite having the league's top rusher, and they should be looking at WR (and QB) as well. They would love to have Blackmon fall to them, but I don't think it will happen. They're in a position where they pretty much have to take the BPA outside of RB and TE, because everything else is a need. Heck, they could even decide to replace bust Eugene Monroe at OT.

Jaguars: Brockers (Blackmon, Reiff, Coples, Floyd, Kirkpatrick)
Panthers: Still (Brockers, Floyd, Kirkpatrick)
Miami: Upshaw [SOLB] (RGIII, Richardson, Coples [3-4 end might be his best position], DeCastro [Carey is a FA], Martin, Ingram [SOLB])

Really, outside Miami possibly wanting to lock up that third DL spot, I don't see anyone challenging you to Coples if you want him.

JCBills
02-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Why doesn't he scream top 10 to you if Upshaw does and we're looking for a pass rusher? Ingram had more sacks in college against the same level of competition. He has a deeper bag of pass rush moves, better hand use, better burst off the snap, but didn't play at Alabama, so I guess that's the big knock in the board's eyes.

Night Train
02-20-2012, 05:15 AM
I wouldn't be the least bit upset if a LT was selected in Round 1, if that's where the value is. I see 2 or 3 rated highly, right around our current slot.

It's never wise to become polarized with one or two players this time of year. You're just setting yourself up for the big comedown... " MY PRECIOUS ! "

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Well, maybe those guys will be there & maybe there will be a rush & they will be gone by the end of the 1st. I saw on NFL 32 this morning (I had recorded on my DVR) Kiper has Ingram rated over Upshaw. Not saying he is right, but the more I read & hear about Ingram, the more I like him. I would still prefer Upshaw at 10 but if he is gone, I would be happy with Ingram.

Where do you expect Adams & Reiff to be drafted? Maybe the Bills could come back into the 1st to grab Adams.

Ingram is a prospect I honestly want nothing to do with. He has greater size issued than Upshaw, doesn't fit any position, isn't the same kind of athlete, and his season was like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Started off very fast but slowed down greatly in the 2nd half, was a near non-factor in some games.

As for the OT's, I think Reiff goes between 7-15, with Adams going between 7-20. Adams stock is tough to pin down right now, he has LT length, and athleticism but was beat too often for some teams. Others think he needs some more coaching and will be fine. Reiff is a known commodity and therfor more of a lock for top 15 status.

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 06:58 AM

It was clear to me, got beat repeatedly on the arc rush. I have zero interest in seeing that ever again.

It doesn't make sense to take a kid whose best trait is by far his strength and not let him play the position that allows him to best utilize it which is RT.

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't be the least bit upset if a LT was selected in Round 1, if that's where the value is. I see 2 or 3 rated highly, right around our current slot.

It's never wise to become polarized with one or two players this time of year. You're just setting yourself up for the big comedown... " MY PRECIOUS ! "

The bolded is what's important. Nix has shown he is going to take the best value he can find at 10. That very well may be an OT given the glutony of top 20 ones in this class.

better days
02-20-2012, 07:41 AM
The bolded is what's important. Nix has shown he is going to take the best value he can find at 10. That very well may be an OT given the glutony of top 20 ones in this class.

Well, except a DE that has value will most likely be available for the Bills to draft at 10 & everyone at One Bills drive is saying the Bills need to get more presssure on the QB next year.

Defense is the weak link on the team & will be addressed again this draft as it was last draft.

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Well, except a DE that has value will most likely be available for the Bills to draft at 10 & everyone at One Bills drive is saying the Bills need to get more presssure on the QB next year.

Defense is the weak link on the team & will be addressed again this draft as it was last draft.

You could point to almost any position on this team but RB and say that its the weak link.

OBD is saying what it thinks you want to hear, it doesn't mean they are going to draft a DL first. It will be a value selection and there aren't many (if any) top 43 DE's with top 10 grades.

better days
02-20-2012, 07:47 AM
You could point to almost any position on this team but RB and say that its the weak link.

OBD is saying what it thinks you want to hear, it doesn't mean they are going to draft a DL first. It will be a value selection and there aren't many (if any) top 43 DE's with top 10 grades.

Well Kiper has both Ingram & Upshaw in his top 10.

TedMock
02-20-2012, 08:12 AM
That's why I see another team taking the chance on him than us. As again Nix mentioned the injury thing. If it wasn't a big deal think he wouldn't have mentioned it. Not to mention we do have Hairston to step in if we can't find anyone in the draft or through UFA that's better. Again I'd prefer to re-sign Bell but the way the Bills management seems to operate he's more likely gone than kept.

Hairston starting scares the bejeebus out of me. He was so bad last season on the left side. I like him as a right tackle, but he lacks the athleticism to play on the left side. He doesn't have the feet to stay wide or re-direct back inside. I did like the pick last year, but I liked it as a RT pick.

better days
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Hairston starting scares the bejeebus out of me. He was so bad last season on the left side. I like him as a right tackle, but he lacks the athleticism to play on the left side. He doesn't have the feet to stay wide or re-direct back inside. I did like the pick last year, but I liked it as a RT pick.

Well, I don't think anyone wants to see Hairston as the starting LT, but I think he did a good job filling in as a BACK UP LT. I have seen other back up LTs play last year for other teams that did not look as good as Hairston did.

The Jokeman
02-20-2012, 08:52 AM
I hear you but with the Bills front office seems to learn this lessons on after giving it a full season to learn from their mistakes. Ie don't have the forethought to draft a replacement now.

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Well Kiper has both Ingram & Upshaw in his top 10.

Yes and as you love to point out he has Jimmy Clausen as a first rounder. You can't kill Kiper in one thread and then use him as a defense in another.

better days
02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes and as you love to point out he has Jimmy Clausen as a first rounder. You can't kill Kiper in one thread and then use him as a defense in another.

Well you said not many if any DEs were worth a top 10 grade, I was just pointing out that is not the case. McShay also has them in his top 10.

I DOUBT 3 DEs get picked before Buffalo picks at #10.

cookie G
02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I am not a college guy by any means but when I have seen him play he looks slow and not a great pass rush presents. What do you guys think I know a lot o ppl want us to pick him

That'll be one of the million dollar questions answered at the Combine.

I doubt he runs a 4.5. I'm more interested in his shuttle and cone times anyways.

(a quick aside, guys with slow shuttle times rarely make good pass rushers).

Anyways...personally, I think he looks a little slower than he is due to the way Bama plays defense. Gap control and guarding against a cutback or reverse is of primary concern. I'd imagine that being one of the best ways to get on Nick Saban's bad side, get burned on a cutback.

You can see it when you watch him, and a lot of the other Bama players. They might not be sprinting to someone running to the opposite side of the field...but they aren't going to let him come back and get around their flank. Bama is EXTREMELY disciplined in that regard.

Is it effective? Easily one of the best college defenses, ever so yeah, it is.

If you are concerned about someone protecting the edge, you can put in tape of Upshaw and tape of Coples. And then label one "how to protect the edge" and the other "how not to protect the edge". There is that much of a difference.

It'll be interesting to see just how much raw speed or quickness he has. He was quick enough to average over 15 TFL's in the last 2 years. I do know he's easily the smartest LB in the draft. He knows angles of attack, he knows how much ground he can give and still protect the edge, and knows how to be aggressive without being reckless.

We could do a lot worse.