PDA

View Full Version : I think I know one of the Targets!

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Just been thinking about it, who is a big name that fills a big need other than Mario and Jackson.

Answer............

Paul Soliai. Soliai is a huge Pro Bowl DT is still only 28 and fits Wandstadt's Defense perfectly. Wanny ALWAYS has a huge DT on his DL to stuff the run which frees everyone else to fly to the football. I think he is pushing hard for a guy like him.

He's 6'4 355. I think he makes a big splash!

Dr. Lecter
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
With Kyle Williams and Dareus already here?

I highly doubt it.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM

I highly doubt it.
We haven't been able to stop the run for years. KW and Dareus are best when free to attack the backfield. Soliai frees them and makes for a much better rotation.

Wanny's D is based on stopping the run first and foremost. I see them getting Soliai in on first down with Dareus then using KW to get after the QB. Keeps everyone fresh and with Soliai our LBs will be flying.

mikemac2001
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM

I highly doubt it.

Ya but running 3 DT on the line will cause a lot of problems

move dareus to outside or go smaller in passing situations

i understand the 3 DT idea but i would like a bigger splash

BertSquirtgum
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't think you could be any more wrong.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't think you could be any more wrong.
Maybe...

mayotm
03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I would have no problem with that move. Having more depth on the defensive line can never be a bad thing. That stated, if signing another DT prevents them from adding a pass rusher, I'm against it.

mrbojanglezs
03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
i dont think so

EDS
03-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Just been thinking about it, who is a big name that fills a big need other than Mario and Jackson.

Answer............

Paul Soliai. Soliai is a huge Pro Bowl DT is still only 28 and fits Wandstadt's Defense perfectly. Wanny ALWAYS has a huge DT on his DL to stuff the run which frees everyone else to fly to the football. I think he is pushing hard for a guy like him.

That would be an excellent signing if they were sticking to a 3-4.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
That would be an excellent signing if they were sticking to a 3-4.
Not if you look at Wandstadt's defensive personnel history. Obviously I could be wrong but Soliai does fit what Wanny usually has and he would be considered high profile.

JCBills
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Even though Dareus is great at penetrating because of his freakish athleticism and power, he's like 340 something.

Dareus and Williams will force double teams. One or the other.

They couldn't stop the run because teams would just bounce it outside when they were a 3-4 scheme. They had no speed at OLB, and people would just get run around.

When they were a Tampa 2 team, they had one DT and one legit linebacker. Of course they couldn't stop the run, the reads were pass-run for anyone not on the front 4.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Even though Dareus is great at penetrating because of his freakish athleticism and power, he's like 340 something.

Dareus and Williams will force double teams. One or the other.

They couldn't stop the run because teams would just bounce it outside when they were a 3-4 scheme. They had no speed at OLB, and people would just get run around.

When they were a Tampa 2 team, they had one DT and one legit linebacker. Of course they couldn't stop the run, the reads were pass-run for anyone not on the front 4.
I think teams were running inside and outside last year. We allowed over 180 on the ground on average or something.

Reggie Bush even ran inside on us... KW has always been questionable against the run. And yes Dareus is 330 but his talent is getting in the backfield and the Bills probably would rather have him shooting through than holding up double teams.

JCBills
03-13-2012, 12:00 PM
I think teams were running inside and outside last year. We allowed over 180 on the ground on average or something.

Reggie Bush even ran inside on us... KW has always been questionable against the run. And yes Dareus is 330 but his talent is getting in the backfield and the Bills probably would rather have him shooting through than holding up double teams.

What? Williams, as a penetrator, has been good if not great against the run.

He's so disruptive he either re-directs the runner or makes the play himself. That is why his tackle totals are so high for a DT, and he's led the league in that category.

Even metrically PFF has him as #1 overall DT in 2010 and #1 against the run. #11 overall in 2009.

Both of them are penetrators, Dareus just happens to be bigger. Teams will be forced to double one of them regardless.

baalworship
03-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Our problems against the run stem from our linebackers.

TigerJ
03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't think that Kyle Williams or Marcel Dareus have much to do with Buffalo's struggles in run defense. I think it has had a lot to do with talent level at outside linebacker, which in a 3-4 defense had a role similar to a 4-3 defensive end. I think it is at defensive end that Buffalo will focus their efforts at improving run defense, but they will also look at outside linebacker. I don't think that many will argue tthat they shouldn't be considered among Buffalo's most accute needs.

On the other hand, having both Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus on the field at the seem time does present Buffalo with an issue they at least have to think about. In one sense they are very different players. Dareus outweighs Kyle Williams by 30 lbs or so and has all kinds of advantages in terms of physical measurables. However, both players are at their best when penetrating and causing disruption. Put them both on the field at the same time, and just because of the way the game is played, Marcel Dareus is probably going to find his job is mostly about tying up as many blockers as he can so that other players can make plays. I'm not sure that signing Paul Soliai is the way to address the issue, then rotating Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus, but it is something that I suspect Dave Wannstedt is at least pondering.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 12:06 PM
What? Williams, as a penetrator, has been good if not great against the run.

He's so disruptive he either re-directs the runner or makes the play himself. That is why his tackle totals are so high for a DT, and he's led the league in that category.

Even metrically PFF has him as #1 overall DT in 2010 and #1 against the run. #11 overall in 2009.

Both of them are penetrators, Dareus just happens to be bigger. Teams will be forced to double one of them regardless.
Exactly. Dareus was very good against the run as a penetrator. But that's just it, there was no one else to help him and although we all know KW is really good he has a deficiency in stuffing the run.

Like I said I could be wrong obviously but I think it makes sense just based on Wanny's history.

DraftBoy
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Exactly. Dareus was very good against the run as a penetrator. But that's just it, there was no one else to help him and although we all know KW is really good he has a deficiency in stuffing the run.

Like I said I could be wrong obviously but I think it makes sense just based on Wanny's history.

While trend wise you're 100% right, how would they ever make it work rotationally?

EDS
03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Not if you look at Wandstadt's defensive personnel history. Obviously I could be wrong but Soliai does fit what Wanny usually has and he would be considered high profile.

Let's be honest though, Dave W. is not the long term answer as D-Co.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
While trend wise you're 100% right, how would they ever make it work rotationally?
I would say on first down or short situations it's always Soliai and either Darues or KW. Then on second and long and third down you have KW and Dareus.

This keeps everyone fresh and attacking all day. Soliai requires a double which allows KW and Dareus to do what they do best. If its just KW and Dareus, Dareus gets the double and KW gets pushed out of the hole. Eventually we get tired and run D suffers and pass D suffers.

DraftBoy
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
I would say on first down or short situations it's always Soliai and either Darues or KW. Then on second and long and third down you have KW and Dareus.

This keeps everyone fresh and attacking all day. Soliai requires a double which allows KW and Dareus to do what they do best. If its just KW and Dareus, Dareus gets the double and KW gets pushed out of the hole. Eventually we get tired and run D suffers and pass D suffers.

You're locking up a ton of money in two down players then.

JCBills
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM

What deficiency? The dude makes stops all the time. You don't rack up tackles as a DT 10 yds from scrimmage. 50 stops (plays that constitute an offensive failure)in 2010 is deficient?

If thats the case, there isn't one DT in the league that isn't deficient, because 50 stops was #1 in the league.

You don't make the pro bowl as a DT if you can't do your main job.

JCBills
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM

KW and Dareus each can require double teams, so while teams focus on one, the other makes plays.

I don't see the sense in taking away from that. They have a good chunk of change wrapped up in DT. I doubt their big target is where the team is stacked.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
You're locking up a ton of money in two down players then.
True, I thought about that, but, football has become so situational that I think having guys that specialize and using them in specific roles makes more sense.

Also, if you want your top penetrating DTs fresh to defend 40 passes per game you better not tire them out defending runs. Soliai keeps them flying.

Philly is a good example, Cullen Jenkins, Trent Cole, Graham etc. Yet they couldn't do what they wanted because the run game tired them out.

justasportsfan
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Unless the bills have given up on Troup , I don't see it happening.

Mahdi
What deficiency? The dude makes stops all the time. You don't rack up tackles as a DT 10 yds from scrimmage. 50 stops (plays that constitute an offensive failure)in 2010 is deficient?

If thats the case, there isn't one DT in the league that isn't deficient, because 50 stops was #1 in the league.

You don't make the pro bowl as a DT if you can't do your main job.
Hey I like KW, but he definitely was not solid against the run. Lots of tackles does not mean he was.

And yes he did hustle quite a bit so he did have many tackles beyond the LoS. He also had lots behind the LoS. It was feast or famine often for KW.

JCBills
True, I thought about that, but, football has become so situational that I think having guys that specialize and using them in specific roles makes more sense.

Also, if you want your top penetrating DTs fresh to defend 40 passes per game you better not tire them out defending runs. Soliai keeps them flying.

Philly is a good example, Cullen Jenkins, Trent Cole, Graham etc. Yet they couldn't do what they wanted because the run game tired them out.

So if he's healthy, they'll see if they can get a return on their Troup investment. Big, good stamina, strong, doesn't have to do much but eat bodies while spelling the others.

Solai will probably go to a 3-4 team where he would get more snaps.

JCBills
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey I like KW, but he definitely was not solid against the run. Lots of tackles does not mean he was.

And yes he did hustle quite a bit so he did have many tackles beyond the LoS. He also had lots behind the LoS. It was feast or famine often for KW.

I'm not sure what games you watched, but Williams was extremely disruptive and had no help.

Yeah, the run D sucked, but if anyone had the least to do with it, it was KW. The OLBs were a joke, but it must be KW's fault?

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
So if he's healthy, they'll see if they can get a return on their Troup investment. Big, good stamina, strong, doesn't have to do much but eat bodies while spelling the others.

Solai will probably go to a 3-4 team where he would get more snaps.
That's another possibility. If they believe in Troup this thread is moot.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure what games you watched, but Williams was extremely disruptive and had no help.

Yeah, the run D sucked, but if anyone had the least to do with it, it was KW. The OLBs were a joke, but it must be KW's fault?
Yer absolutely right. He was disruptive and that's what got him to the PB. But, he was also susceptible to being run at. Especially late in games.

KW is a scrapper, so to stop the run the man works his tail off, by the 3rd or 4th quarter though he was getting worn out and you could take advantage of him and push him around.

Turf
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Players get hurt. We could use more than 2 good DTs.

Skooby
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
You're probably right only because we're more likely to sign Johnny Noname versus a huge FA acquisition.

Answer............

Dr. Lecter
03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Players get hurt. We could use more than 2 good DTs.
I don't disagree, but they do not need to get a 3rd highly paid guy.

They need to fill the places where they do not even have starters like DE, WR, LT, CB, etc.

JCBills
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Yer absolutely right. He was disruptive and that's what got him to the PB. But, he was also susceptible to being run at. Especially late in games.

KW is a scrapper, so to stop the run the man works his tail off, by the 3rd or 4th quarter though he was getting worn out and you could take advantage of him and push him around.

No idea how someone could be a PB DT known for penetration skills and disruptive ability and also be a liability against the run.

Him being disruptive and penetrating is what makes him good against the run.

Its like we're forgetting about the other 6 guys in the front 7 or something.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
No idea how someone could be a PB DT known for penetration skills and disruptive ability and also be a liability against the run.

Him being disruptive and penetrating is what makes him good against the run.

Its like we're forgetting about the other 6 guys in the front 7 or something.
Because there is a big difference between being a good penetrator and being double teamed while being run at. Kyle is good at one, not so good at the other.

Philagape
03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
A penetrator by nature takes himself out of plays too. Every time he shoots into the backfield is a gamble; when he hits, he hits big, when he misses, he misses big. Those big hits get him stats that get him into Pro Bowls, but the other side of the coin doesn't show up on individual stat sheets.

JCBills
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Because there is a big difference between being a good penetrator and being double teamed while being run at. Kyle is good at one, not so good at the other.

I've seen him split quite a few.

So as they're trying to stop him from penetrating by doubling him, Dareus is left one on one to exploit that matchup. If it happens the other way around, you get it.

3rd DT isn't even close to the top 5 needs the team has.

I wouldn't disagree with upping the rotation. I'd like to see a healthy Troup get more time. Even Kellen Heard played well when called upon, and he's 6'6'' 346 Lbs.

Mahdi
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
I've seen him split quite a few.

So as they're trying to stop him from penetrating by doubling him, Dareus is left one on one to exploit that matchup. If it happens the other way around, you get it.

3rd DT isn't even close to the top 5 needs the team has.

I wouldn't disagree with upping the rotation. I'd like to see a healthy Troup get more time. Even Kellen Heard played well when called upon, and he's 6'6'' 346 Lbs.
Ya if they believe in Heard or Troup then like I said, they won't consider Soliai obviously.