PDA

View Full Version : Andre Reed, HOF arguments

psubills62
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
So I'm discussing Hines Ward with people on another board. Some of them think he should be in the HOF (I don't).

Along those lines, I'm wondering what the arguments are for Andre Reed to be in the HOF? Also, was he a good blocker? I'll be honest, I don't remember watching him (though I might have when I was really young), so I'm hoping to hear from those who did watch him play. What are the statistics/main points that people use to argue for putting Reed in the HOF?

I'd like to compare Reed to Ward and make the point that if Reed isn't in, Ward shouldn't be either.

Skooby
03-20-2012, 05:10 PM
So I'm discussing Hines Ward with people on another board. Some of them think he should be in the HOF (I don't).

Along those lines, I'm wondering what the arguments are for Andre Reed to be in the HOF? Also, was he a good blocker? I'll be honest, I don't remember watching him (though I might have when I was really young), so I'm hoping to hear from those who did watch him play. What are the statistics/main points that people use to argue for putting Reed in the HOF?

I'd like to compare Reed to Ward and make the point that if Reed isn't in, Ward shouldn't be either.

Rings / no rings, don't look into it much further.

DraftBoy
03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
I honestly don't think Reed should be in. Certainly not before some of the other WR's currently sitting on the outside.

psubills62
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
I honestly don't think Reed should be in. Certainly not before some of the other WR's currently sitting on the outside.
I'm assuming Hines Ward is not one of those "other WR's" though.

psubills62
03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Rings / no rings, don't look into it much further.
? I'm looking for arguments as to why Reed SHOULD be in the HOF, not why he isn't.

Mr. Pink
03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't think either should be in.

ublinkwescore
03-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Arguments for why? How about fearless over the middle, excellent yac and if I am not mistaken isn't he an all-time leader in the playoffs for receiving yards and tds? That should be significant shouldn't it?

mayotm
03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
You probably don't think Bruce, Kelly or Thomas belong either. You know, just to be different.

DasBills
03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm so torn on Reed and the HOF. I think he should get in eventually, but there are other WR's more deserving that should get in first.

ublinkwescore
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm so torn on Reed and the HOF. I think he should get in eventually, but there are other WR's more deserving that should get in first.
Yeah, but one could make the argument that reed was a better WE than some who are already enshrined.

better days
03-20-2012, 07:22 PM

Eventually is an eternity ago. If Reed does not get in SOON he never will. Players like Hines Ward that played in the watered down NFL will be retiring. And they will have much better stats due to the rules changes. When Reed played receivers were hit all the way down the field, not this 5 yd from the OL BS.

Mr. Pink
03-20-2012, 07:24 PM
You probably don't think Bruce, Kelly or Thomas belong either. You know, just to be different.

Andre Reed doesn't have the numbers that suggest he was a HOFer.

There's better receivers than him that still aren't in, Carter, Brown as examples.

Bruce Smith is a top 5 DE in NFL history...Thurman Thomas was Marshall Faulk before there was a Marshall Faulk...and Kelly QB'd a team that got to 4 straight SB's.

Andre Reed was an average NFL WR with numbers, on average, that parallel him to guys like Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Henry Ellard.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Eventually is an eternity ago. If Reed does not get in SOON he never will. Players like Hines Ward that played in the watered down NFL will be retiring. And they will have much better stats due to the rules changes. When Reed played receivers were hit all the way down the field, not this 5 yd from the OL BS.

im pretty sure the committee will factor that in.

andre reed is quite possibly the great rac wr ever. his acceleration and feel for openings was unreal. he was also one of the bravest wrs ever considering the time he played and how he made his living over the middle.

reed was an essential part of the 4superbowl run.
i think he has like over 7 or 8 pro bowls

andre reed also had incredible moments at key times. e.g. 3 tds in the comeback game.

andre reed was also a complete wr.
he was big, he was fast, he was quick, he had great hands, he was smart, he had every quality you want.

one could make the logical argument that if thomas, kelly, and lofton are in, than of course the number 1 wr from 86-97 should get in.

andre reed even into his mid 30s was still an above average wr.

i think hes top 10 in all major wr stats, catches, tds, yards, etc. if not, hes close.

to say andre shouldnt be in the hof is literally on par with saying jerry rice or michael irvin shouldnt get it. its a joke...

DasBills
03-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Eventually is an eternity ago. If Reed does not get in SOON he never will. Players like Hines Ward that played in the watered down NFL will be retiring. And they will have much better stats due to the rules changes. When Reed played receivers were hit all the way down the field, not this 5 yd from the OL BS.I agree, he'll also be going up against the T.O.'s and Randy Moss' of the world.

DasBills
03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, but one could make the argument that reed was a better WE than some who are already enshrined.Not that I disagree, but who in particular did you have in mind?

NOT THE DUDE...
03-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Not that I disagree, but who in particular did you have in mind?

art monk, lofton, stallworth,

thats 3 right off the top of my head. of course those wrs are great, i just think reed was better. made more plays

ublinkwescore
03-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Not that I disagree, but who in particular did you have in mind?
Michael Irvin, Art Monk.

ublinkwescore
03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Steve Largent.

Mski
03-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Andre Reed doesn't have the numbers that suggest he was a HOFer.

There's better receivers than him that still aren't in, Carter, Brown as examples.

Bruce Smith is a top 5 DE in NFL history...Thurman Thomas was Marshall Faulk before there was a Marshall Faulk...and Kelly QB'd a team that got to 4 straight SB's.

Andre Reed was an average NFL WR with numbers, on average, that parallel him to guys like Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Henry Ellard.check you numbers again... his number are more inline with carter and brown than the three you mentioned

NOT THE DUDE...
03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
check you numbers again... his number are more inline with carter and brown than the three you mentioned

its also not just numbers, its how he affected coverage, what he did with his catches compared to someone like keyshawn. reed was more of a threat....

Mr. Pink
03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
check you numbers again... his number are more inline with carter and brown than the three you mentioned

883 11373 12.9 63

951 13198 13.9 87

814 13777 16.9 65

814 10571 13.0 64

701 10950 15.6 77

Those are the career numbers of all the guys I mentioned, Reed and an unnamed guy NO ONE will ever consider a HOFer.

Really, he's not basically in that group of guys?

These are Tim Browns numbers

1094 14934 13.7 100

You can see that he is above everyone in that entire first grouping...and it's not really close.

Bmax
03-20-2012, 11:43 PM

Totally disagree...What the people that think Andre should not be in are missing is that Andre played when the NFL was primarly a running league...

I don't know the age of the people that are saying he shouldn't be in.. But i saw his entire career... and of all the players that he is compared to.. Andre to me compares to Art Monk with out the rings.. When REED retired he was the third all time leading receiver in nfl history...!!!!!! Sure carter should be in maybe ahead of Andre but no way for Brown.. another key stat Andre is far ahead these guys in receptions in nfl playoff games.. This is what seperates Reed from the others...It was a different NFL in the mid 80's only Rice, Carter and Brown have more receptions then reed for guys that started their careers in the 80's or earlier...

Reed playoff numbers 19 games 85 rec 9tds.. Brown 14 games 45 rec 3tds
Carter 14 games 63 rec 8tds...This is why Reed is a hall of famer...Remember still 10th all time 12yrs after retirement when the nfl is now a pasing league...With a certain way of thinking some may think that Wes welker is a better player that Largent and Reed but those that saw all of them play would realize this is crazy talk...

Cherbet has more rec than Lance alworth.. No way was he a better player different era's mean something when selecting players for the hall.

Bmax...

thenry20
03-21-2012, 03:56 AM
Reed was statistically 2nd to Jerry Rice in almost all receiving stats when he retired. How is this not eye opening or relevant?

Mski
03-21-2012, 08:37 AM
883 11373 12.9 63

951 13198 13.9 87

814 13777 16.9 65

814 10571 13.0 64

701 10950 15.6 77

Those are the career numbers of all the guys I mentioned, Reed and an unnamed guy NO ONE will ever consider a HOFer.

1094 14934 13.7 100

You can see that he is above everyone in that entire first grouping...and it's not really close.lets see, Reed had 20 more touchdowns then all but one person on that list and 100 more receptions, and 2000 more yards thatn all but one. so again how is it that Reed compares?

yes 3 of those guys compare to eachother

psubills62
03-21-2012, 10:11 AM
883 11373 12.9 63

951 13198 13.9 87

814 13777 16.9 65

814 10571 13.0 64

701 10950 15.6 77

1094 14934 13.7 100

You can see that he is above everyone in that entire first grouping...and it's not really close.
Yeah, I'm not sure how on earth you're seeing Reed grouped in with those guys. The only one even comparable is the guy with 13777 receiving yards. He's a step below Brown in overall numbers, but pretty much all those guys in that group are a step below Reed at least.