PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the luncheon

X-Era
04-18-2012, 06:21 PM
1) Nix pretty much laid it out there that Hairston is likely penciled in as our starter. I don't get the feel that we will take a tackle at 10. I also didn't get a great feel that we like Reiff on the left. Nor were we real high on Glenn at OT. I did get a sense we like Martin but not as much as I would have thought.

2) Interesting comments on Floyd. Real low key. Whaleys smirk was interesting. I think we have a real shot to take him.

3) At 10 Nix wants a difference maker, play maker, impact guy... Now we can read into that any way we like and I'm sure a few will argue OT fits that. But if the grades are the same, I think a CB or WR or even LB would be the pick of a OT... Especially considering how he argued that the offense is setup such that we run so many empty sets and if the rush 6, Fitz better expect to get hit in the mouth. My point is that again I don't think the Bills feel upgarding the LT would do as much for our results as upgrading WR, CB or even LB would.

4) Very significant comments on CB. Interesting that he said guys in those positions... seemed to imply S is an area were thinking... not only CB. But then he was pretty clear that Florence being older, McKelvin being an impending FA, and McGee's injuries make our need at CB significant. Nix then added that we could always use a shut down guy. And then even talked to how important top notch depth is. I think the chances of a CB at 10 are very significant and may be the highest in likelihood.

All of this is just my take of course.

But here's my take away top 5 from most likely to least likely for the Bills at 10:

1) Dre Kirkpatrick
2) Michael Floyd
3) Luke Kuechly
4) Johnathan Martin
5) Cordy Glenn

Cali512
04-18-2012, 06:28 PM
1) Nix pretty much laid it out there that Hairston is likely penciled in as our starter. I don't get the feel that we will take a tackle at 10. I also didn't get a great feel that we like Reiff on the left. Nor were we real high on Glenn at OT. I did get a sense we like Martin but not as much as I would have thought.

2) Interesting comments on Floyd. Real low key. Whaleys smirk was interesting. I think we have a real shot to take him.

3) At 10 Nix wants a difference maker, play maker, impact guy... Now we can read into that any way we like and I'm sure a few will argue OT fits that. But if the grades are the same, I think a CB or WR or even LB would be the pick of a OT... Especially considering how he argued that the offense is setup such that we run so many empty sets and if the rush 6, Fitz better expect to get hit in the mouth. My point is that again I don't think the Bills feel upgarding the LT would do as much for our results as upgrading WR, CB or even LB would.

4) Very significant comments on CB. Interesting that he said guys in those positions... seemed to imply S is an area were thinking... not only CB. But then he was pretty clear that Florence being older, McKelvin being an impending FA, and McGee's injuries make our need at CB significant. Nix then added that we could always use a shut down guy. And then even talked to how important top notch depth is. I think the chances of a CB at 10 are very significant and may be the highest in likelihood.

But here's my take away top 5 from most likely to least likely for the Bills at 10:

1) Dre Kirkpatrick
2) Michael Floyd
3) Luke Kuechly
4) Johnathan Martin
5) Cordy Glenn

Floyd is arguably the best WR in the draft and he would "slip" to us by alot of accounts. Dre is a 10-20 pick, Floyd is top 10 material, and lastly, Dres not even the 2nd best at his position, let alone a 10 pick on him

Skooby
04-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Floyd makes sense as a playmaker, the rest just help the play be made.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Floyd makes sense as a playmaker, the rest just help the play be made.
but how many rookie WRs prove to be playmakers week in week out? Very few as most WRs take a good three years before they reach their full potential to make it in the NFL. So get the guys that help us make plays (see Reiff) and develop someone later. Say what you want but our current offensive playmakers have all been low/undrafted guys if look at Fitz, Jackson and Stevie and moreso if lump in David Nelson which is a credit to Gailey at getting the most out of his skilled position guys.

X-Era
04-18-2012, 06:51 PM
but how many rookie WRs prove to be playmakers week in week out? Very few as most WRs take a good three years before they reach their full potential to make it in the NFL. So get the guys that help us make plays (see Reiff) and develop someone later. Say what you want but our current offensive playmakers have all been low/undrafted guys if look at Fitz, Jackson and Stevie and moreso if lump in David Nelson which is a credit to Gailey at getting the most out of his skilled position guys.I think it depends on who it is and how quickly the team plays that player. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, and AJ Green are just a few that had early success due to being thrust into the line up early. If Floyd was our pick I think he would have a real good shot to start at #2 in his rookie year and our offense will get him the ball often, albeit on shorter routes most likely. Our offense may be very friendly to developing young guys since we spread the ball around so much and don't need to rely as heavily on our #1 or #2. Hell even David Nelson as an undrafted rookie had significant success out of the slot.

X-Era
04-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Floyd is arguably the best WR in the draft and he would "slip" to us by alot of accounts. Dre is a 10-20 pick, Floyd is top 10 material, and lastly, Dres not even the 2nd best at his position, let alone a 10 pick on himI understand the Gilmore love... I do. And I like him a lot too. But, Dre is a more rugged, proven, and more solid player right now. Dre is the kind of CB you can trust from day one. Gilmore may be the better athlete and may have higher upside. But Dre is the guy I'd trust earliest to cover on an island.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I think it depends on who it is and how quickly the team plays that player. Calvin Johnson, AJ Green are just a few that had early success due to being thrust into the line up early. If Floyd was our pick I think he would have a real good shot to start at #2 in his rookie year and our offense will get him the ball often, albeit on shorter routes most likely. Our offense may be very friendly to developing young guys since we spread the ball around so much and don't need to rely as heavily on our #1 or #2. Hell even David Nelson as an undrafted rookie had significant success out of the slot.
Nelson was in his 2nd year last year. Yet for every Calvin Johnson and AJ Green you could name a Ted Ginn Jr, Craig Davis or Jonathan Baldwin. If want to fight numbers you can look back Megatron only had 48 catches and 756 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
I understand the Gilmore love... I do. And I like him a lot too. But, Dre is a more rugged, proven, and more solid player right now. Dre is the kind of CB you can trust from day one. Gilmore may be the better athlete and may have higher upside. But Dre is the guy I'd trust earliest to cover on an island.
We don't need a CB to trust from day one with Florence, McGee and Aaron Williams likely ahead of him on the depth chart. To me if we go CB in Round 1 and it's not MoClay than you have to think it's Gilmore. Yet think rather go the 2001 approach and trade down and get "Nate Clements" later than sooner, assuming we can find a trade partner.

baalworship
04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Bills all about Floyd. Big, physical, body control, upside. 4 positive adjectives in a very brief statement by Cook after Buddy refused to say anything.

X-Era
Nelson was in his 2nd year last year. Yet for every Calvin Johnson and AJ Green you could name a Ted Ginn Jr, Craig Davis or Jonathan Baldwin. If want to fight numbers you can look back Megatron only had 48 catches and 756 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie.756 yards wouldn't help us as our #2? You realize that would mean more yards than any WR not named Johnson on our current squad last year right?

And I'm not arguing the bust potential... it's there at all positions and you always have that risk. I'm simply replying to the notion that a rookie WR can't or even usually doesn't make a significant impact on your team as a rookie... I gave examples where that wasn't the case and it's really not that rare for it to happen.

Night Train
They played to an audience and said nothing,in a lot of words.

It's that time of year when poker is the game of choice.

We have ZERO idea of their intentions.

X-Era
04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
We don't need a CB to trust from day one with Florence, McGee and Aaron Williams likely ahead of him on the depth chart. To me if we go CB in Round 1 and it's not MoClay than you have to think it's Gilmore. Yet think rather go the 2001 approach and trade down and get "Nate Clements" later than sooner, assuming we can find a trade partner.Very possible. I'd actually prefer a trade down for either Dre or Gilmore personally. I think the value is better in the teen's for us if we go with either. I think Floyd is very much worth the 10 pick though and represents better value than either of those two CB's at 10.

X-Era
04-18-2012, 07:11 PM
They played to an audience and said nothing,in a lot of words.

It's that time of year when poker is the game of choice.

We have ZERO knowledge of their intentions.Fixed it for ya.

We have plenty of ideas... most are probably wrong.

The Jokeman
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
756 yards wouldn't help us as our #2? You realize that would mean more yards than any WR not named Johnson on our current squad last year right?

And I'm not arguing the bust potential... it's there at all positions and you always have that risk. I'm simply replying to the notion that a rookie WR can't or even usually doesn't make a significant impact on your team as a rookie... I gave examples where that wasn't the case and it's really not that rare for it to happen.
I won't deny it would but let's not forget that Megatron produced that under Mike Martz and was only good enough for 3rd on his team. I'm just in the opinion you build your team with better players upfront that the skill guys don't have to be as skilled to excel.

X-Era
04-18-2012, 07:24 PM
I won't deny it would but let's not forget that Megatron produced that under Mike Martz and was only good enough for 3rd on his team. I'm just in the opinion you build your team with better players upfront that the skill guys don't have to be as skilled to excel.I do not disagree with your plan to make us better. I only feel we ought to be landing a much more sure fire stud at LT at 10... which is another way of saying I'm not against a LT at 10, but none of the guys likely available there look worthy enough of the 10 pick. My choice would be Martin.

But again let me be clear I'd be fine if we took Martin at 10... just not my favorite move.

YardRat
04-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I agree. CB or WR, outside shot at LBer. I do like Gilmore better than Kirkpatrick though, but I wouldn't ***** about either one.

Raptor
04-18-2012, 07:50 PM

1) Dre Kirkpatrick
2) Michael Floyd
3) Luke Kuechly
4) Johnathan Martin
5) Cordy Glenn

I don't think Dre is the CB they like I think its Gilmore because Gilmore is far abetter suited to the defense we play then Dre is

and look at he Cook talks about them

Cook on Gilmore: "We like him. We think he’s a good, strong, sturdy corner who can press. Can run in the hip poicket and make palys. We like his physicalness in coming up in run support. I do think its a good year for cornerback."

Exactly what Wanny looks for

Now look how he talks about Dre

Cook on Kirkpatrick: "Dre is from a great scheme. They’re so solid up front, that helps the corners. He can play more physical and he can play the ball and he can gamble a little bit more in that scheme because they are getting to the quarterback a little bit quicker. But I do think he’s physical. He can support and he can play the deep ball. ... Both of those guys are viable candidates for us."

He's making it seem like Dre is more of a product of the players around him and the scheme

To which I agree, Gilmore is better than Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick had WAY more talent around him at Alabama and wasn't even the best DB on his team. Gilmore had much more pressure on him to hold his coverage longer, still support the run, and not have the luxury of having the 1 or 2 best S's in college last year to bail him out when he did blow a coverage

dannyek71
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
IDK if I like the pick, but we are taking Floyd.

DraftBoy
04-18-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't think Dre is the CB they like I think its Gilmore because Gilmore is far abetter suited to the defense we play then Dre is

and look at he Cook talks about them

Exactly what Wanny looks for

Now look how he talks about Dre

He's making it seem like Dre is more of a product of the players around him and the scheme

To which I agree, Gilmore is better than Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick had WAY more talent around him at Alabama and wasn't even the best DB on his team. Gilmore had much more pressure on him to hold his coverage longer, still support the run, and not have the luxury of having the 1 or 2 best S's in college last year to bail him out when he did blow a coverage

Gilmore got burned more than his fair share in college because he likes to gamble and he knew he didnt have support behind him. He's susceptible to double moves and bites on them consistently. He's a better tackler than he's given credit but he looks for hits over tackles.

Gilmore is a good prospect but he's not better than Kirkpatrick.

methos4ever
04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
From the way both Nix and Whaley talked about Glenn, I got the exact opposite take of what you did...

better days
04-18-2012, 08:43 PM
I do not disagree with your plan to make us better. I only feel we ought to be landing a much more sure fire stud at LT at 10... which is another way of saying I'm not against a LT at 10, but none of the guys likely available there look worthy enough of the 10 pick. My choice would be Martin.

But again let me be clear I'd be fine if we took Martin at 10... just not my favorite move.

Well, No pundit has Martin in the top half of the first rnd, let alone in the top 10. Drafting Martin at #10 does not sound like what you said the Bills wanted to do in your first post.

I would be happy with Martin in the 2nd rnd. Floyd or Coples for me at #10.

Raptor
04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Gilmore got burned more than his fair share in college because he likes to gamble and he knew he didnt have support behind him. He's susceptible to double moves and bites on them consistently. He's a better tackler than he's given credit but he looks for hits over tackles.

I dont agree with that at all, he got burned but he also could be because he was expecting over the top help or just trying to do to much to get or keep his team in it. I also think your downplaying to much the talent difference around the two which gives Dre a big advantage on the field

Dre is a zone only CB for me which in turn doesn't make him a fit here. Overall I think Gilmore is the better player and will be the better NFL player

DraftBoy
04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
I dont agree with that at all, he got burned but he also could be because he was expecting over the top help or just trying to do to much to get or keep his team in it. I also think your downplaying to much the talent difference around the two which gives Dre a big advantage on the field

Dre is a zone only CB for me which in turn doesn't make him a fit here. Overall I think Gilmore is the better player and will be the better NFL player

We are going to run a zone scheme and Dre showed the ability to man up and press at the LOS which Gilmore does well but not to the same level.

South Carolina arguably had the best front four in CFB last season that forced a lot of poor throws. Arguing the talent disparity is a bit like splitting hairs at this point.

Extremebillsfan247
04-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Jonathan Martin is my early favorite still. Kirkpatrick could be it, but from what I understand, he has character concerns based on off the field conduct that may see the Bills lean in favor of Gilmore over him if they went the way of a DB.

One thing that stood out to me about what Nix said is a feeling I've had since January with this group of prospects, Nix says "From the 10th to the 20th picks, you could probably draft the same guy". In other words, there is no big time play maker standout that separates from the next 10 picks from where the Bills stand on draft day. JMO

mysticsoto
04-18-2012, 09:00 PM

Interesting...usually we agree on CBs, but here we disagree. I think Gilmore is the better long term prospect. I think he has a great work ethic, I think he's faster than Dre and I think he has better hands - which I think the FO values greatly. Their plan from the start has seem to have been to get a ball hawking secondary and then upgrade the pass rush to give the secondary the opportunities they need. I predict a pretty good "interception" season for this secondary coming up. And I think Gilmore fits that profile better. They may want a corner that prefers to gamble, given that they hope that this Dline is going to force QBs to throw quickly or take a sack. Wilson and Byrd are pretty fast over the top to help cover.

As such, I'm thinking Gilmore fits us better than Dre does.

TigerJ
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the report, Xera. I don't ever expect to be able to hear a Buffalo GM in person, so it's nice to at least get a second hand report. I think Buffalo will probably draft a defensive tackle, but it sounds like it's going to be strictly a backup/developmental guy. As far as what the Bills do at #10 it now seems to be down to Kirkpatrick, Kuechly, Floyd, and I would add Gilmore. I think my preference would be Gilmore over Kirkpatrick because of his better athleticism and upside. McGee is probably going to be healthy to start the season at least, and I will always take the guy who can give you more over a ten year career instead of the guy who is a little ahead in terms of readiness right now.

It's time to start looking at developmental tackles deeper in the draft, 'cause that sounds like where Buffalo is going to be looking to pick one up.

clumping platelets
04-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Any chance that the Bills are interested in SS Barron?

One thing I heard about him is that if a team needs a safety that can cover a TE, he's their man...................Bills have a HUGE problem covering TE's

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2012, 12:44 AM
I had a dream we drafted Barron the other night so I'm thinking that will be the pick.

Championship Baby!!!!

alohabillsfan
04-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Jenkins is the best cover corner in the draft, to bad he has baggage..

DraftBoy
04-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Jenkins is the best cover corner in the draft, to bad he has baggage..

I think much of it is being made to be worse than it really is.

CleveSteve
04-19-2012, 08:52 AM
4) Very significant comments on CB. Interesting that he said guys in those positions... seemed to imply S is an area were thinking... not only CB.

Bills would never take a S in the top 10. :chuckle: :bighug:

better days
04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
I think much of it is being made to be worse than it really is.

Well, if I can put up with Talib on the Bucs, I guess I could put up with Jenkins on the Bills

NOT THE DUDE...
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
ive been saying kirk since january