PDA

View Full Version : A few post-game comments

OpIv37
08-19-2012, 02:28 PM
First of all, I've only watched the first half so far. I know their backups/future cuts lit up ours in the 2nd half, but I'm not overly concerned about that.

-Other team's "vanilla" offenses that "don't game plan" seem to have little trouble moving the ball against our starting D. I saw a lot of Kelsay and Edwards on the drive where they scored the FG, so I won't count that against the starting D, but the starters were in for the majority of the TD drive and they were all in on the TD play I believe. Basically, the starting D has given up TD's in 2 of 5 drives so far, both against inexperienced QB's.

-The DL was decent, registering a couple of sacks, and I like the safeties (watch out for 36 Howell), but the LB's and the CB's on this team leave a lot to be desired. McKelvin forced a fumble, but only because he got beat on a simple cut to the inside that allowed the WR to get to the ball. Aaron Williams was beat deep but was only saved by the receiver being a half step out of bounds when he caught the ball.

-It was nice to see the 1st team offense score, but 3 of the Vikings' starters on the DL were out of the game for the entire TD drive (The Williams brothers and Jared Allen). Fitz was under literally NO pressure on the TD play. Once again, it's better to see them score than struggle as bad as they did last week, but the situation did seem somewhat artificial.

-I know it's preseason and the team isn't going to show their playbook, but the offense was EXTREMELY predictable. If Chandler lined up on the LOS, it was a pass. If he was behind the LOS, it was a run. Every single time. I'm trying not to read too much into it since it is preseason, but it did invoke nightmares of some of the horrifically predictable offenses we had under Jauron.

DraftBoy
08-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I noted that our DB's do a horrendous job getting off blocks v. screen passes.

Mindbender
08-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm not an xs and os guys by any means...how vanilla was the Vikings offense? Seemed more complicated than ours.

DraftBoy
08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm not an xs and os guys by any means...how vanilla was the Vikings offense? Seemed more complicated than ours.

Not much play-action or double moves in the routes. Most of it was short under neath stuff with some screens that I saw. I didnt pay a ton of attention to it though since I was grading our OT's instead.

Their OL looked like crap v. Williams and Dareus though.

OpIv37
08-19-2012, 02:37 PM

That's a good question.... I'd have to go back and watch again. I was concentrating on who was on the field for our D and how they were playing so I wasn't really paying attention to their complexity.

chernobylwraiths
08-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm a little worried about our linebackers, they have to cover the underneath stuff and be the ones picking up on delayed draws and running plays.

Not as much worried about the offense short of hoping the Oline can come together and be healthy by the opener.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
The linebackers stunk. As did the wide receivers, who couldn't get open if their lives depended on it.

Skooby
08-19-2012, 04:58 PM
That's a good question.... I'd have to go back and watch again. I was concentrating on who was on the field for our D and how they were playing so I wasn't really paying attention to their complexity.

Vikings game-planned for broke, they're were just 3-13 so they sorta have to show some go. I still don't like showing up to fail but it's Pre-season & no one got hurt.

DraftBoy
08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Vikings game-planned for broke, they're were just 3-13 so they sorta have to show some go. I still don't like showing up to fail but it's Pre-season & no one got hurt.

Huh?

cookie G
08-19-2012, 11:53 PM
I noted that our DB's do a horrendous job getting off blocks v. screen passes.

The Bryan Scott experiment at LB wasn't going too well. On the screen to Harvin, he took a really bad angle and Harvin blew by him. It was worthy of Donte Whitner. What should have been a 5 yard gain turned out to be a 30 yard gain. On another play, a long run by TG, Scott ran around an OL, creating a huge hole which TG walked through.

There was a lot of one or two guys failing to do his job and causing the big play.

If Williams turns the right way, the 35 yard completion is knocked away.
If Byrd doesn't try to submarine Simpson, its a 6 yard gain;
If Scott takes the right angle, Harvin doesn't have a 30 yard screen pass.
If Scott fills a hole, it is a 3-4 yard gain.

They really weren't getting outplayed, or run over, but the little things were crushing them.

Ingtar33
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm a little worried about our linebackers, they have to cover the underneath stuff and be the ones picking up on delayed draws and running plays

post of the thread right here. I saw the same problem with the LBers. They're scaring me right now.

DraftBoy
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
post of the thread right here. I saw the same problem with the LBers. They're scaring me right now.

Good to see you posting again.

Ingtar33
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Good to see you posting again.

thanks

It's crazy how fast time flew this past year.

Night Train
08-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Minny ran a lot of 2-3 step drops, getting the ball out fast on quick slants. Like many here, I saw 2 things.

1. LB's acted completely surprised they had to cover the middle that was wide open. Reacted poorly.
2. Safties were way too deep despite Minny continually showing the quick slants and were slow to adjust.

Wanny needs to line them up better. Teams will try to nullify our outside rush with quick hitters and he needs to move his players around quicker.

DraftBoy
08-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Minny ran a lot of 2-3 step drops, getting the ball out fast on quick slants. Like many here, I saw 2 things.

1. LB's acted completely surprised they had to cover the middle that was wide open. Reacted poorly.
2. Safties were way too deep despite Minny continually showing the quick slants and were slow to adjust.

Wanny needs to line them up better. Teams will try to nullify our outside rush with quick hitters and he needs to move his players around quicker.

The deep safeties is something you're going to see all year long. Wanny's defensive scheme calls for the safeties to play deep as he would rather give up the underneath stuff than a deep ball.

He's very much a classic Cover 2 guy with some variations.

BillsOverDolphins
08-21-2012, 07:14 AM
The linebackers stunk. As did the wide receivers, who couldn't get open if their lives depended on it.

x1000

stuckincincy
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
The deep safeties is something you're going to see all year long. Wanny's defensive scheme calls for the safeties to play deep as he would rather give up the underneath stuff than a deep ball.

He's very much a classic Cover 2 guy with some variations.

Uh-oh. Seems to me that BUF doesn't have a capable MLB to cover the short middle. I worry about the OLBs' ability to cover deeper flats and curls. The current DE mantra seems to be pass rush first. The corners better be good at chipping receivers coming off the line when an opponent plays two wrs to one side. If not, that deep safety is likely to get fried.

I suspect that the oft-maligned Kelsey will log a lot of game minutes.

justasportsfan
08-21-2012, 09:20 AM
-I know it's preseason and the team isn't going to show their playbook, but the offense was EXTREMELY predictable. If Chandler lined up on the LOS, it was a pass. If he was behind the LOS, it was a run. Every single time. I'm trying not to read too much into it since it is preseason, but it did invoke nightmares of some of the horrifically predictable offenses we had under Jauron.

IF Chans offense had a history of being predictable during the regular season then I'd be worried. What I am worried about however is if we have the ability to do what we want even when teams know whether we're passing or running. Teams knew that either Peterson or Chris Johnson were running the ball but still couldn't stop them. I don't know if we're there.

Defensively, our DE's were getting pressure a lot but the qb's were not contained which created space for them to run. Where were the lb'ers?

OpIv37
08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
yeah there was a LOT of space in the middle in both the running game and the passing game. I think this DL is quality and I think the S's are looking decent, but the LB's and the CB's are leaving a lot to be desired so far.

And I'm definitely more concerned about the LB's. Williams and Gilmore are young and will take their lumps, but the raw talent is there and they should improve. We just don't have the talent at LB.

justasportsfan
08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
IMO lb'ers will be top of the list in next years draft.

OpIv37
08-21-2012, 10:15 AM
that and WR.

And at some point we need to be thinking QB.

justasportsfan
08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
that and WR.

agreed

BillsOverDolphins
08-21-2012, 11:01 AM
that and WR.

We need to be thinking about QB yesterday. WR too, then LB...in that order. Unless of course we aren't drafting high enough for Barkley. Then I'd go:

1. WR
2. QB
3. LB

OpIv37
08-21-2012, 11:09 AM
We need to be thinking about QB yesterday. WR too, then LB...in that order. Unless of course we aren't drafting high enough for Barkley. Then I'd go:

1. WR
2. QB
3. LB

The problem with QB is that you can't force it like you can with other positions. The right guy has to be available. WR's and LB's..... stars are relatively rare but ones that are better than what we currently have are a dime a dozen. It doesn't work that way for QB. Most of the star QB's in this league were high picks. There are a few exceptions, like Brady and Romo, but usually taking a late first round guy (like Losman) or a mid round guy (like Trent Edwards) doesn't yield the intended results.

Usually there are 1-2 guys out there in each draft who will become star QB's, and as bad as the Bills have been, we just haven't been bad enough to get our hands on one of those guys. I suspect that trend will continue this year.

And ****, I hope we don't end up with Barkley because a) that will mean we tanked yet another season and b) I don't want to have to root for USC trash.

Come to think of it, for all USC's success lately, their QB's haven't fared particularly well in the NFL. Carson Palmer was slightly above average, Leinart has been a disaster and Sanchez is just average.

DraftBoy
08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
The problem with QB is that you can't force it like you can with other positions. The right guy has to be available. WR's and LB's..... stars are relatively rare but ones that are better than what we currently have are a dime a dozen. It doesn't work that way for QB. Most of the star QB's in this league were high picks. There are a few exceptions, like Brady and Romo, but usually taking a late first round guy (like Losman) or a mid round guy (like Trent Edwards) doesn't yield the intended results.

Usually there are 1-2 guys out there in each draft who will become star QB's, and as bad as the Bills have been, we just haven't been bad enough to get our hands on one of those guys. I suspect that trend will continue this year.

And ****, I hope we don't end up with Barkley because a) that will mean we tanked yet another season and b) I don't want to have to root for USC trash.

Come to think of it, for all USC's success lately, their QB's haven't fared particularly well in the NFL. Carson Palmer was slightly above average, Leinart has been a disaster and Sanchez is just average.

This year's QB class is LOADED.

justasportsfan
08-21-2012, 11:54 AM

based on Gaileys history liking mobile qb's ,who are the ones you think they'd be eying next year?

BillsOverDolphins
08-21-2012, 12:05 PM
No offense, but i just hope it's a white one.

The last buffalo fan
08-21-2012, 12:22 PM

based on Gaileys history liking mobile qb's ,who are the ones you think they'd be eying next year?

That and what would be your preference? I'm having more televised games lately and I would love to watch specific players. Gracias!