PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo is an attractive place to Coach right now

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
For all the candidates that are going to be available soon or now the Bills are among the top destinations for any coach looking for a job.

Simply put, we have attractive players to work with.

We have a DL that features Mario Williams and Mark Anderson outside with Dareus and KW inside.

We have a very stable and athletic OL that has been among the best in the NFL the last two years.

We have one of the most exciting and versatile playmakers in the NFL which any coach would salivate at what they could draw up with him, Spiller.

We have an extremely rare and talented WR, a very underrated TE and some decent complimentary WRs.

We have one of the best young CBs in the NFL in Gilmore and what should have been a PB FS in Byrd.

We also have 2 young LBs that have improved throughout the season in Bradham and Shepp.

A new HC coming in will have the advantage of picking his own QB from FA and draft and designing a new offense with some pretty good players.

Other teams that have vacancies will not have all that to work with.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm not seeing it.

They have no QB and one of the NFL's worst defenses. Those are the facts.

Don't Panic
12-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I agree. This was definitely the time to have a HC opening. If I'm a potential HC, I like what I see.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm not seeing it.

Yes however coaches have massive egos. They will see the potential talent and think that they can do much better with it. This is not like it was 3 years ago when you look at Buffalo's roster and puke while rejecting the offer for the HC position.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm not seeing it.

You don't see any of the talent that Mahdi talked about?

OpIv37
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
For all the candidates that are going to be available soon or now the Bills are among the top destinations for any coach looking for a job.

We have a DL that features Mario Williams and Mark Anderson outside with Dareus and KW inside.

We have a very stable and athletic OL that has been among the best in the NFL the last two years.

We have one of the most exciting and versatile playmakers in the NFL which any coach would salivate at what they could draw up with him, Spiller.

We have an extremely rare and talented WR, a very underrated TE and some decent complimentary WRs.

We have one of the best young CBs in the NFL in Gilmore and what should have been a PB FS in Byrd.

We also have 2 young LBs that have improved throughout the season in Bradham and Shepp.

A new HC coming in will have the advantage of picking his own QB from FA and draft and designing a new offense with some pretty good players.

DL is a paper tiger.
OL is good if we keep Levitre
Spiller is good.
Stevie is not "rare and talented." He's slightly above average and can't keep his head in the game. Chandler is only effective in the Red Zone and may not make it back from his injury for all of next season. Our receiving options are garbage beyond that. The guys we have wouldn't even make the roster in at least half the NFL.
Gilmore and Byrd are good. The rest of our secondary sucks.
Bradham is up and coming. Sheppard is garbage, as are the rest of our LB crew. Outside of QB, this is easily the weakest position on the team.

If the talent on this team is as good as you claim, there is no way in hell we'd be 6-10, even with a garbage HC.

Jeff1220
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I think this is a good situation for a new coach. It might not be the most appealing destination, but I can definitely see it being attractive - certainly more attractive than when Gailey and NIx took over 3 years ago. There is surely a lot of talent on the Bills. Most would agree that this team underachieved this season. The 9ers were like that before Harbaugh came in and got more out of his team.
The lease is a big deal too. A new coach knows they aren't going to turn around and move his family across the country in a year or two. That counts for a lot.
Many new coaches like to have "their guy" at QB, so the fact that the Bills can allow the new coach to do that (Fitz's contract does not bind them) is a good thing.
I am, for now, more optimistic about landing a decent coach than I was three years ago.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
You don't see any of the talent that Mahdi talked about?

I bet there are fans in every other sucky team in the NFL saying the same thing. Every team has some good players.

The fact is the Bills don't have any QB worth a damn. The fact is the defense really blows. Yeah, the Williams' and Dareus have talent, but it didn't materialize. The LB corps is a train wreck and the secondary has Gilmore and Byrd (who is a FA).

At the end of the day they are a team with a terrible defense and no QB. The GM is over-his-head and the ownership has a history of incompetence. I don't see how they are any more attractive than all the other sucky teams that just fired their coaches.

djjimkelly
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
this is why i believe buddy must be kept hes put together a very nice roster.

that just doesnt have a qb

add in a qb we have a solid team

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 10:40 AM

It's still a small market team with a meddling owner .not as attractive as Philly or Chicago

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:41 AM
DL is a paper tiger.
OL is good if we keep Levitre
Spiller is good.
Stevie is not "rare and talented." He's slightly above average and can't keep his head in the game. Chandler is only effective in the Red Zone and may not make it back from his injury for all of next season. Our receiving options are garbage beyond that. The guys we have wouldn't even make the roster in at least half the NFL.
Gilmore and Byrd are good. The rest of our secondary sucks.
Bradham is up and coming. Sheppard is garbage, as are the rest of our LB crew. Outside of QB, this is easily the weakest position on the team.

If the talent on this team is as good as you claim, there is no way in hell we'd be 6-10, even with a garbage HC.

You lost all credibility once you called Stevie a slightly above average WR. Stevie is def rare, EVERY commentator points out that he is near impossible to cover. Every top CB has problems dealing with him. He has 80 catches from a weak QB. Pretty sure his head is in the game.

And that is while playing injured last season and this season.

Don't Panic
12-31-2012, 10:42 AM

Gailey should have gotten this roster to 9-7. A good coach could have gotten it to 11-5. Upgrade QB and LB and get another year of growth while keeping our own and we will be there.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:43 AM
It's still a small market team with a meddling owner .not as attractive as Philly or Chicago

Chicago has no OL and an aging defense. Its going to be a huge project.

Philly is comparable to us with uncertainty at QB, talented DL with young players, talent in the secondary but aging. real good talent at WR and a top notch RB. Good TE too. I think we are slightly better though talent wise.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
I bet there are fans in every other sucky team in the NFL saying the same thing. Every team has some good players.

The fact is the Bills don't have any QB worth a damn. The fact is the defense really blows. Yeah, the Williams' and Dareus have talent, but it didn't materialize. The LB corps is a train wreck and the secondary has Gilmore and Byrd (who is a FA).

At the end of the day they are a team with a terrible defense and no QB. The GM is over-his-head and the ownership has a history of incompetence. I don't see how they are any more attractive than all the other sucky teams that just fired their coaches.

Well if I'm a potential coach for this team, I like the talent that we have. I'd probably want to bring in my own Quarterback anyway. I would enjoy the opportunity to get the talent that we have to play up to their potential, that's what coaches do.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM

Philly is comparable to us with uncertainty at QB, talented DL with young players, talent in the secondary but aging. real good talent at WR and a top notch RB. Good TE too. I think we are slightly better though talent wise.
I'm a bit higher on our roster than some. I agree with you overall.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Well if I'm a potential coach for this team, I like the talent that we have. I'd probably want to bring in my own Quarterback anyway. I would enjoy the opportunity to get the talent that we have to play up to their potential, that's what coaches do.

Every terrible team has some talent, the Bills are no different. They aren't the mucho-talented roster you are making them out to be. They have some good players, no QB and a terrible defense. How does that make them more attractive than a Kansas City, Philadelphia or Cleveland? Flip a freaking coin.

OpIv37
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
You lost all credibility once you called Stevie a slightly above average WR. Stevie is def rare, EVERY commentator points out that he is near impossible to cover. Every top CB has problems dealing with him. He has 80 catches from a weak QB. Pretty sure his head is in the game.

And that is while playing injured last season and this season.

Lmao at the Stevie lickers. Who cares what the commentators say during the games? Do you ever pay attention to what they say? 90% of the time they know NOTHING about our team. They talk about guys playing well who haven't done jack **** all season, meanwhile they know nothing about the guys who actually have done well. Half the time they can't even get the guys' names right.

And of course, it's never the fault of the players that you like. It's an injury or the coach or the QB. Stevie had maybe 2 big games all season and continues to hurt this team with his inopportune drops and ill-timed mental mistakes.

If you ask me, you lost all credibility when you called Stevie "rare and talented." He has some talent, but he's pretty run of the mill for #1 NFL receivers. Calvin Johnson is "rare and talented." Larry Fitzgerald is "rare and talented." Wes Welker is "rare and talented." Stevie is at least a step or two behind those guys.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
You lost all credibility

Keep Chan, overpay for Whitner and now the bills are an attractive place to come to and you're questioning people credibility?

OpIv37
Gailey should have gotten this roster to 9-7. A good coach could have gotten it to 11-5. Upgrade QB and LB and get another year of growth while keeping our own and we will be there.

Gailey should have done better than 6-10. Vince Lombardi couldn't get this group to 11-5.

better days

I agree with Chicago, but have you looked at Phillys roster? They have a good RB & that is about it. The OL & defense are TERRIBLE. And they are up against the cap. It will take years to turn that team around.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 10:50 AM

It doesn't matter. It's a big market team.

YardRat
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
IMO this defense is literally one player and a legit DC away from being really good.

The offense has holes, most notably at QB and WR, and I still think the OLine is over-rated, but they also are close.

A new staff, a couple of FA's and decent draft picks, and the makings of a decent turnaround are there.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Keep Chan, overpay for Whitner and now the bills are an attractive place to come to and you're questioning people credibility?

You mean the Whitner that is in the PB right now?

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Every terrible team has some talent, the Bills are no different. They aren't the mucho-talented roster you are making them out to be. They have some good players, no QB and a terrible defense. How does that make them more attractive than a Kansas City, Philadelphia or Cleveland? Flip a freaking coin.

'Mucho-talented' ? I never said that. I said we have talent, and the talent we have is attractive. The bulk of our talent (however much that may be) is in the trenches, which is what you need to succeed. We obviously have our weaknesses, that's why we only won 6 games.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
IMO this defense is literally one player and a legit DC away from being really good.

The offense has holes, most notably at QB and WR, and I still think the OLine is over-rated, but they also are close.

A new staff, a couple of FA's and decent draft picks, and the makings of a decent turnaround are there.

I agree they have some promise on offense, if they find a QB. That is a pretty big if, though.

People need to accept the defense is terrible. I know before the season it was built up to be the next great D, but in practice they sucked out loud this year. The defense needs a lot of work.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
You mean the Whitner that is in the PB right now?

Byrd and Searcy would be probowlers at SF and they weren't drafted in the 1st rd.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM

I'm convinced that we need a more than solid LB who's actually going to fire the team up and hold people accountable. Some of these guys need to get called out for blowing assignments, we don't have that right now.

GingerP
'Mucho-talented' ? I never said that. I said we have talent, and the talent we have is attractive. The bulk of our talent (however much that may be) is in the trenches, which is what you need to succeed. We obviously have our weaknesses, that's why we only won 6 games.

We disagree greatly on the defense. I know a lot of people seem to want to blame coaching for all the defensive issues, but I think it is much more the players.

YardRat
I agree they have some promise on offense, if they find a QB. That is a pretty big if, though.

People need to accept the defense is terrible. I know before the season it was built up to be the next great D, but in practice they sucked out loud this year. The defense needs a lot of work.

The defense sucked because of Wannstadt IMO, mostly, sprinkled with a little bit of youth/inexperience.

better days
12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Gailey should have done better than 6-10. Vince Lombardi couldn't get this group to 11-5.

Well, that is because Coaching is much harder from 6' under.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Byrd and Searcy would be probowlers at SF and they weren't drafted in the 1st rd.

Byrd would be a house hold name if he were on SF.

The Niners don't ask Whitner to cover like we did. They ask him to hit, and he's always been good at that.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 10:58 AM
The defense sucked because of Wannstadt IMO, mostly, sprinkled with a little bit of youth/inexperience.

I disagree, I think the defense sucked because it wasn't as good as advertised. Their DL is over-rated, the LB corps is terrible and the secondary has 2 good players: Gilmore and Byrd. If they lose Byrd, they are in trouble.

The biggest concern with defense is the LB, which they need many. They suck against the run, and until they can stop it they are going to struggle.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 10:58 AM

Byrd was very close to being a PBer already so its irrelevant. Whitner got in because he played well and earned it. You think coaches and fans were intent on having BOTH SF safeties just for the heck of it? That alone tells you that he earned it.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
We disagree greatly on the defense. I know a lot of people seem to want to blame coaching for all the defensive issues, but I think it is much more the players.

Hopefully the new coaching staff will prove you wrong, we'll see.

justasportsfan
Byrd would be a house hold name if he were on SF.

The Niners don't ask Whitner to cover like we did. They ask him to hit, and he's always been good at that.

exactly. that's why Whitner is not that good and wasn't worth where he was drafted if he was limited.

Mahdi
I disagree, I think the defense sucked because it wasn't as good as advertised. Their DL is over-rated, the LB corps is terrible and the secondary has 2 good players: Gilmore and Byrd. If they lose Byrd, they are in trouble.

The biggest concern with defense is the LB, which they need many. They suck against the run, and until they can stop it they are going to struggle.

How is our DL overrated? We have 4 players that have shown to be very talented. Our defense sucked because our DC had zero imagination, creativity or aggression.

EDS

Step back from the opium bar for a second and think about what you just wrote for a second.

DL - Mario Williams is overpaid and his contract will impact/limit future free agent signings. Mark Anderson is old, frequently injured, and only does well during contract years. Dareus was better as a rookie and has been soundly outplayed by many defenders from the 2011 draft.

Spiller - He is a running back. They are just not that important in today's NFL unfortunately. Even the pest runing back on the planet, Adrian Peterson, needed help just to get into the playoffs.

WR - Nothing rare about Steve Johnson. He is good sure, but not the utter match-up nightware like Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Brandon Marshall, Victor Cruz, etc. All the other receivers are replacement level. Chandler is o.k. but not elite like Gronkoswki or Graham.

CB - If Gilmore is one of the best young CBs in the NFL what does that make guys like Peterson, Hayward, Jenkins, Sherman etc.?

LB - Bills have some of the worst LB talent in the league. Find a weaker group.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Byrd was very close to being a PBer already so its irrelevant. Whitner got in because he played well and earned it. You think coaches and fans were intent on having BOTH SF safeties just for the heck of it? That alone tells you that he earned it.

it isn't irrelevant if there are players that could have been drafted later playing better than Whitner and paid less. It says he's not worth what YOU wanted to pay him. SF wont miss a hearbeat if Whitner was replaced.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
exactly. that's why Whitner is not that good and wasn't worth where he was drafted if he was limited.

WHitner had 2 good qualities, one is his range and the other is his hitting. Safeties are generally average in terms of covering 1 on 1 so its irrelevant. If you can excel in those 2 categories you can be a PBer. Thats why I wanted Whitner to stay.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
How is our DL overrated? We have 4 players that have shown to be very talented. Our defense sucked because our DC had zero imagination, creativity or aggression.

They are over-rated based on play. They are over-rated because they are too easy to block. 4 players? Who is that? Dareus has shown flashes of being a good DT, but not a great one. Kyle Williams is a competitor who will get penetration and make splash plays, but gets pushed aside too often in the run game. Mario Williams is very talented guy who can set the edge, but as a pass-rusher he is not what he is paid to be. If he can't beat a guy on pure atheltic ability he can't rush, so he can't rush against good OT.

After that? They have some depth players. They have an overpaid sub-rusher who did nothing before getting hurt.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
WHitner had 2 good qualities, one is his range and the other is his hitting. Safeties are generally average in terms of covering 1 on 1 so its irrelevant. If you can excel in those 2 categories you can be a PBer. Thats why I wanted Whitner to stay.

he can't cover TE's. He doesn't make the players around him better , it's the other way around. He needs a great cast to play better.

YardRat
12-31-2012, 11:05 AM

I agree on LBer, and SS could use an upgrade but not direly so, we'll just to agree to disagree on the rest.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2012, 11:07 AM

2 of my best friends are Niners fans and we argue about Whitner all the time. The guy is getting less than 4 million per year, clearly not much was thought of him by other NFL teams.

OpIv37
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Really? His hitting?

How does this myth continue?

I swear, Whitner had maybe 5 hard hits his entire time in Buffalo. The guy got drafted with the reputation of being a hard hitter, then he'd go months at a time without getting one. Then, all of a sudden he'd get one, and the Donte Whitner Anti-Defamation League would jump in with "See, I told you he's a hard hitter!" because they already forgot about the previous 6 or 7 games where he didn't get any hard hits.

Hell, I remember him GETTING hit by big RB's at least once or twice.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Step back from the opium bar for a second and think about what you just wrote for a second.

DL - Mario Williams is overpaid and his contract will impact/limit future free agent signings. Mark Anderson is old, frequently injured, and only does well during contract years. Dareus was better as a rookie and has been soundly outplayed by many defenders from the 2011 draft.

Spiller - He is a running back. They are just not that important in today's NFL unfortunately. Even the pest runing back on the planet, Adrian Peterson, needed help just to get into the playoffs.

WR - Nothing rare about Steve Johnson. He is good sure, but not the utter match-up nightware like Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Brandon Marshall, Victor Cruz, etc. All the other receivers are replacement level. Chandler is o.k. but not elite like Gronkoswki or Graham.

CB - If Gilmore is one of the best young CBs in the NFL what does that make guys like Peterson, Hayward, Jenkins, Sherman etc.?

LB - Bills have some of the worst LB talent in the league. Find a weaker group.

Williams --- was injured most of the year and still managed 10.5 sacks. If healthy could have been 15-18. He was still struggling with the wrist till the last game too.

Spiller -- A running back like him is rare and you can build an offense around him. He doesn't just run, he catches and he is devastating on screens and option routes.

CB- It means they are also among the best young CBs in the NFL. Gilmore had a great season and shut down some good WRs.

WR -- There are different ways to be a match-up nightmare, size, speed, route running, quickness. Stevie is quicker than Calvin Johsnon and a better route runner. He gets open by fooling defenders and creating separation. That is also very tough to defend and the reason Stevie is successful despite his QB. Give him Stafford or Dalton and see what happens.

LB - As a unit they were weak - DC was bad -- however, you can see that Bradham got way better and Shepp improved significantly too. They are both young and playing in a new defense.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 11:09 AM
I agree on LBer, and SS could use an upgrade but not direly so, we'll just to agree to disagree on the rest.

We can agree to disagree, but the facts are the facts. They are the 22nd rated defense in the NFL this year, 26th in points allowed. They were 31st in defending on 3rd downs and 31st defending the run. They allowed 5 yards per carry.

That is bad defense.

OpIv37
12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
he can't cover TE's. He doesn't make the players around him better , it's the other way around. He needs a great cast to play better.

Thank you- I've said the same thing about Whitner many times.

It's the old "well he'd be better on a better team!" excuse. Of course he would- it's a team sport. EVERYONE looks better on a better team. Some players make the team better, and some players need a better team around them.

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Mahdi, we shall see if you are right. Should Gruden , Chip Kelly , Cowher or any other coaches interviewed here pick the bills OVER other teams then you're right.

YardRat
12-31-2012, 11:12 AM
We can agree to disagree, but the facts are the facts. They are the 22nd rated defense in the NFL this year, 26th in points allowed. They were 31st in defending on 3rd downs and 31st defending the run. They allowed 5 yards per carry.

That is bad defense.

Granted...results aren't the issue. The reason for the results are. ****ty coaches can make players look really bad. After watching this defense for a full season, if you don't think Wannstadt was a major issue, I can't help that.

OpIv37
12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
And honestly, this whole thread is moot.

Even if Mahdi is right about the talent (which he isn't), Buffalo will NEVER be an attractive place to coach as long as Ralph, Russ Brandon, Littman and Overdorf have their hands all over it. We could trade our roster for the Patriots' roster straight up and you'd still have good coaches turning us down.

Mahdi
Really? His hitting?

I swear, Whitner had maybe 5 hard hits his entire time in Buffalo. The guy got drafted with the reputation of being a hard hitter, then he'd go months at a time without getting one. Then, all of a sudden he'd get one, and the Donte Whitner Anti-Defamation League would jump in with "See, I told you he's a hard hitter!" because they already forgot about the previous 6 or 7 games where he didn't get any hard hits.

K I really don't want to turn this thread into Whitner debate.

I think we currently have a good roster to work with and coaches will be intrigued.

GingerP
Granted...results aren't the issue. The reason for the results are. ****ty coaches can make players look really bad. After watching this defense for a full season, if you don't think Wannstadt was a major issue, I can't help that.

You are wrong to completely absolve the players of blame. No matter the coaches, players need to win one-on-one battles. The Bills don't have enough guys who can do that, they need better players on defense.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Mahdi's schtick is and will always be to talk up whoever is on the roster like they're the greatest thing ever.

3 years ago Lee Evans was the "extremely rare and talented" WR. Marshawn Lynch was the dynamic running back that new guys would salivate over, etc etc etc...

YardRat
12-31-2012, 11:17 AM
You are wrong to completely absolve the players of blame. No matter the coaches, players need to win one-on-one battles. The Bills don't have enough guys who can do that, they need better players on defense.

I'm not completely absolving the players, just don't feel the majority of blame lies with them.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Spiller -- A running back like him is rare and you can build an offense around him. He doesn't just run, he catches and he is devastating on screens and option routes.

CB- It means they are also among the best young CBs in the NFL. Gilmore had a great season and shut down some good WRs.

WR -- There are different ways to be a match-up nightmare, size, speed, route running, quickness. Stevie is quicker than Calvin Johsnon and a better route runner. He gets open by fooling defenders and creating separation. That is also very tough to defend and the reason Stevie is successful despite his QB. Give him Stafford or Dalton and see what happens.

LB - As a unit they were weak - DC was bad -- however, you can see that Bradham got way better and Shepp improved significantly too. They are both young and playing in a new defense.

Watch Danny Woodhead play, he's not much different overall ability wise that Spiller...minus the speed of course but he makes play in space and catches the ball out of the backfield very well too.

Sure put Stevie in Detroit or Cincy...you know what he is there? Second fiddle to Megatron or AJ Green. What does that do to Stevie's numbers? They go down.

We have the worst LB corps in the NFL. Period.

DraftBoy

One player? You need at least four (MLB, OLB, DE, and CB).

Jeff1220
Mahdi's schtick is and will always be to talk up whoever is on the roster like they're the greatest thing ever.

3 years ago Lee Evans was the "extremely rare and talented" WR. Marshawn Lynch was the dynamic running back that new guys would salivate over, etc etc etc...

Well, Lynch was and definitely now is pretty darn good.

Mahdi
12-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Watch Danny Woodhead play, he's not much different overall ability wise that Spiller...minus the speed of course but he makes play in space and catches the ball out of the backfield very well too.

Sure put Stevie in Detroit or Cincy...you know what he is there? Second fiddle to Megatron or AJ Green. What does that do to Stevie's numbers? They go down.

We have the worst LB corps in the NFL. Period.

Danny Woodhead...

YardRat
12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
One player? You need at least four (MLB, OLB, DE, and CB).

We could use those, maybe also throw in SS, but they aren't necessary to perform better. No team is solid across the board, and coaching helps players elevate their play.

Mr. Miyagi
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Really? His hitting?

Whitner is the hardest hitter in the league on guys that are already tackled down or in the end zone.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
This roster has appeal. How much vs. the other vacancies? Who knows, it's complicated. But we are an attractive place right now.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Danny Woodhead...

He's not overall as good but he can do the same type things Spiller does.

My point is this, Spiller is not as special of a player as some people try to make him out to be.

Woodhead, Sproles, Bush, Forte, Charles, Chris Johnson, Spiller..

All bring very similar things to the table.

DraftBoy
12-31-2012, 11:26 AM
We could use those, maybe also throw in SS, but they aren't necessary to perform better. No team is solid across the board, and coaching helps players elevate their play.

Disagree teams targeted Williams and Wilson this year and picked on them. Run defense has to get better LB's.

YardRat
12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Disagree teams targeted Williams and Wilson this year and picked on them. Run defense has to get better LB's.

A DC that actually knows how to create pressure, especially with the dline we have, will make corners and safeties much better.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, Lynch was and definitely now is pretty darn good.

He's better now than when we had him...he grew up and matured.

Too bad he didn't do it here.

Jeff1220
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
So Woodhead would be as good as Spiller if he had as much talent. I get it.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
A DC that actually knows how to create pressure, especially with the dline we have, will make corners and safeties much better.

Not when said corners are playing off the receivers by 5 yards.

Create more pressure and watch teams throw the ball on quick slants and outs vs whichever scrub corner you want to name on this team...besides Gilmore, he'll actually be good.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
So Woodhead would be as good as Spiller if he had as much talent. I get it.

Woodhead if given the opportunity Spiller was given here, would put up similar stats, over the course of a season...Give Woodhead 200+ carries in a season and he'd run for over 1000 yards too.

Oddly enough career wise, their basically identical on receptions, receiving yards, receiving TDs, rushing TDs and rushing average. Spiller has an edge on speed and Woodhead has an edge on inside running.

don137
12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
I would say it is a much better situation than what Gailey inherited however, a quality QB goes a long way to attracting a coach.
Defensively the individual players are much better than the sum of its parts this year. I am sure many potential coaches see that. Spiller is young and a great player to build around but no QB and the poor history of the front office/ownership are two bad strikes.

coastal
12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Mario Williams is here... I'm floored Cowher isnt begging to come here to coach him.

better days
12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Woodhead if given the opportunity Spiller was given here, would put up similar stats, over the course of a season...Give Woodhead 200+ carries in a season and he'd run for over 1000 yards too.

Oddly enough career wise, their basically identical on receptions, receiving yards, receiving TDs, rushing TDs and rushing average. Spiller has an edge on speed and Woodhead has an edge on inside running.

If you put Woodhead on the 2012 Bills & Spiller on the 2012 Pats* there would be no comparison. Teams did not have to worry about Fitz throwing downfield so it was much harder to run.

EDS
12-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Williams --- was injured most of the year and still managed 10.5 sacks. If healthy could have been 15-18. He was still struggling with the wrist till the last game too.

You cannot win in the NFL today without a good quarterback. What coach will come to a situation that lacks one and an obvious means to get one? Sure if the Bills had the roster they have now plus the top pick in an Andrew Luck draft it would be a very attractive situation. Problem is there is no Andrew Luck in this draft and there are a number of QB starved teams standing in front of the Bills in the draft.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 11:52 AM

Spiller's rushing average is .6 higher than Woodhead's which is a lot per rush. You should add in plays of 20+ and 40+ yards in your comparision. Spiller is a home run threat, a big play threat.

I don't know why I'm doing this, though. I mean, I guess Woodhead is like Spiller in that they both play RB. By that same logic, Matt Moore is like Eli Manning, he just doesn't get to throw the ball as much.

jimmifli
12-31-2012, 12:13 PM

There isn't any coach that could get this defence and Fitzpatrick to 11-5, look at our schedule and tell me where you see 11 wins coming from, because I sure don't see it.

EDS
12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Is Nix staying or going? I would think this impacts the coaching decision as a new coach as to think about job security and Nix, if not fired, only has a few more years left before retirement and any replacement will likely want their own guy. Just saying, it is an issue for any potential coaching candidate to consider.

DraftBoy
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM

Not if your CB's can't cover the quick slant.