PDA

View Full Version : The rules shouldn't change

BillsOwnAll
02-04-2013, 09:45 AM
All this talk about how they can't call that pi at he end of the game cause its the end of the game . Why donpeoplw think the rules should change at the end of the game? Pi is pi first quarter or last play. It shouldn't be everything goes just cause it's an important play. We want consistenty.

What's yor thoughts on callin the game different as the game goes on.?

superbills
02-04-2013, 10:28 AM
When you stop posting as this guy, then we'll have a conversation
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyegs2dHxl1r0re1to1_r1_500.gif

Joe Fo Sho
02-04-2013, 10:54 AM
It wasn't bad enough to call, that's my stance. That late, for the refs to be able to change the outcome of the game, it better be a beating for them to call pass interference. Good no call, in my opinion.

MikeInRoch
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
The rules should be the rules, from play one of the pre-season through the end of the Super Bowl. None of this "I'm changing the rules when it's important" BS.

Pinkerton Security
02-04-2013, 11:03 AM
If the pass were a little better it might have been called. The ball landed a couple yards OOB

Skooby
02-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Sabres have a penalty called on them with ~2 minutes left in every other game.

RedEyE
02-04-2013, 11:05 AM
From my perspective Crabtree initiated first contact before the ball was thrown. Sorry for the crappy video the NFL highlight machine is down: (see :52 seconds) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW7qWnMFgW0

Per the NFL rule book: The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.

IMO this is a good no call. Contact was initiated by the WR before the ball was thrown. DB retaliated with a push of his own once ball was in the air. Then the receiver pushes off to find separation from DB.

IMO, if a flag was called it would have been offensive for initiating contact in an attempt to push off and race to the corner post.

I could even see an argument to hand out offsetting penalties.

But there is no way in hell that Smith should have been penalized for this without Crabtree also receiving a penalty.

I like the no call.

Pinkerton Security
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
From my perspective Crabtree initiated first contact before the ball was thrown. Sorry for the crappy video the NFL highlight machine is down: (see :52 seconds) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW7qWnMFgW0

Per the NFL rule book: The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.

IMO this is a good no call. Contact was initiated by the WR before the ball was thrown. DB retaliated with a push of his own once ball was in the air. Then the receiver pushes off to find separation from DB.

IMO, if a flag was called it would have been offensive for initiating contact in an attempt to push off and race to the corner post.

I could even see an argument to hand out offsetting penalties.

But there is no way in hell that Smith should have been penalized for this without Crabtree also receiving a penalty.

I like the no call.

You failed to take into account the fact that the ball was in the air, and the DB still had a firm grasp on the WR. Im glad they didnt call it but the DB definitely impeded him a bit after the ball was in the air.

THRILLHO
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
If anything is to be changed it should be the most ridiculous penalty in the books; running into the kicker.

RedEyE
02-04-2013, 11:18 AM
With the WR initiating first contact (pushing off) prior to the ball being in the air he also is violating the pass interference rule. So I fail to see how then Smith is the bad guy in all of this? The DBs response was warranted. Again, I could see an argument for off setting penalties, but I don't buy it that the Ravens DB is solely at fault.

Ingtar33
02-04-2013, 11:35 AM
The contact was initiated by Crabtree under 5 yards from the line (which is allowed), that said, there was a clear hold with the defending pulling hard with both hands on the WR's jersey, more then 5 yards down field with the football in the air.

That's clear cut pass interference.

And I'll add this to it. Without that pass interference, Crabtree probably could make a solid play on that football, as he was about 18 inches away from it. Without that hold, he likely gets a hand on that football. So by every definition, and even spirit of the rule... that was pass interference. As to Crabtree pushing off... if it worked (as in he was actually able to get separation because of it) it would have been offensive pass interference. However, Smith had such a death grip on Crabtree at that moment, no advantage was gained.

RedEyE
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
That 5 yard use of hands rule applies to the defender and not the receiver: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands

Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

Therefore referring back to the offensive pass interference prior to th ball being in the air:

Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched.
Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Still - The play was 4th and 5 from the 5. Crabtree initiated the contact just before the goal line, carrying them past the 5 yard mark, prior to the throw, AND the contact did not break until they were deep into the endzone. So even if the 5 yard cushion did apply to the receiver, Crabtree clearly broke that rule once over the goal line.

Mouldsie
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
If anything is to be changed it should be the most ridiculous penalty in the books; running into the kicker.
THIS

Ingtar33
02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
(b)Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

no separation was created. the defender wrapped his arms around him, and got a death grip on his jersey. Then was dragged 2 yards before falling to the ground.

Since no separation was created by the contact, no offensive pass interference occurred. However, defensive pass interference most certainly happened.

RedEyE
02-04-2013, 01:19 PM
no separation was created. the defender wrapped his arms around him, and got a death grip on his jersey. Then was dragged 2 yards before falling to the ground.

Since no separation was created by the contact, no offensive pass interference occurred. However, defensive pass interference most certainly happened.

With the utmost respect, the defensive pass interference most likely would NOT have occurred had the WR not tried to shove himself free from the defender.

Like I said before, I can see an argument for offsetting penalties, but Smith was definitely interfered with as well.

Either way there was obviously enough contact between the two to not instigate a flag. This could have been something the officials had been seeing between the two all game long.

Ingtar33
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
With the utmost respect, the defensive pass interference most likely would NOT have occurred had the WR not tried to shove himself free from the defender.

Like I said before, I can see an argument for offsetting penalties, but Smith was definitely interfered with as well.

Either way there was obviously enough contact between the two to not instigate a flag. This could have been something the officials had been seeing between the two all game long.

I can see a flag on both of them... it would have been hard to throw on Crabtree, but I could see it. However, I have seen the flag thrown on what Smith did too many times to count. It is simply pass interference, no ifs ands or buts about it. Frankly, I think 49ers fans got a taste of what it meant to be a Colts fan circa 2002-2006 whenever they played the patriots... that was pretty standard pass defense for the pats back then.

imbondz
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
All i know is GREAT NO CALL!!!! I despise the 49ers couldn't have been happier.

Meathead
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
by not calling what appears to be an obvious defensive penalty on an ultra critical play that would have resulted in at least an automatic first down if not the ball at the one isnt the ref already inserting himself in the game?

imbondz
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
the refs are always part of the game, most calls are judgment calls.

pmoon6
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
They never called the SF DB for mugging Jones on the 5 yard line in the first half either.

All in all, I thought the game was fairly called.

DynaPaul
02-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I thought it was a good no-call as well. Both guys were clearly fighting each other from the moment the ball was snapped and if anything it could have been offsetting penalties.

EricStratton
02-05-2013, 04:57 AM
In a season marked by multiple pass interference penalties, often called when the DB simply spoke poorly about a wide receiver it was strange that the call wasn't made.

The handfighting went on all night but once the DB got his hands outside Crabtree and went to the ground I thought the flag should have come out.

YardRat
02-05-2013, 06:13 AM
No way in hell Crabtree gets close enough to make a play on that ball and have a prayer of coming down with two feet in bounds...it was overthrown out of bounds, one of the very few poor passes by Kap all game. Good for the refs for not giving SF a cheap 'do over'.

mjt328
02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
The NFL has been pushing refs to behave like this for years.
When the playoffs (and especially the Super Bowl) come around, the officials are encouraged to just "let them play" and ignore what NORMALLY would be considered pass interference, holding or illegal contact.

The Bills were a victim of this several times, most blatantly in the Super Bowl against the Redskins.

Why do you think DEFENSE wins championships? One major reason is because the refs allow a lot more contact from the defensive backs when the postseason comes around.

Think about the greatest teams in NFL history to never make or win a Super Bowl. Most of them are offensive powerhouses who somehow got mugged in the playoffs.

ServoBillieves
02-05-2013, 09:04 AM
A couple things that people are also forgetting.

Anyone remember Chris Culliver grabbing Torrey Smith in the first half where he could have EASILY had a walk in touchdown that wasn't called? If it was a no-call, then it was probably a makeup for what should've been an added 7 points. Culliver was all over Raven WR's all game long. It was a passing game, it's the Super Bowl, there are no "well he might have slapped his hand a little too hard on that lil' ol' play" calls. That's not saying they shouldn't be called, but they weren't.

Crabtree initiated contact. If he was a good enough receiver (which, don't get me wrong, he's awesome) but in that situation he would've busted outside and took the fade with a double move. Kaepernick was about to get destroyed so he threw it up for where he knew his favorite receiver would be, albeit out of bounds. Crabtree is athletic enough to make that play, and shouldn't have to push off in that situation if he knows he's already on the outside of the DB with a clear shot. I'm no expert, nor do I claim to be, but it's 4th down in the Super Bowl. If both players are at fault, I don't want to see laundry on the field. It's pointless. Also, IMHO, it was clean. If you're going for the back shoulder fade, you shouldn't have to push off the DB 5+ yards from the LOS and you should know where your QB is putting it. It's like going out of your way to run in to someone on the sidewalk when you're walking in to the next building.

YardRat
02-05-2013, 09:18 PM
It was a cheap attempt by San Fran to get a favorable call and extend the drive, and it didn't work out for them.

First, second and third down, that lob fade is a good call. Fourth down that late in the game and you're just hoping for the refs to give you the flag.