• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Is this another 3 year rebuild?

Lets look at this from a needs standpoint...

- RT
    - LG.. Levitre is so gone.
    - TE
    - WR
    - QB

- DT
    - OLB
    - ILB
    - SS
    - CB

certainly feels like it.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Is this another 3 year rebuild?

I'm looking at two.

No team is perfect, and all have holes/positions that could stand upgrading. We won't fill them all, regardless when (if?) we start winning again.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

This team has been in rebuilding mode since the Music City Mirage. We will be lucky if it ends in 3 years
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Without a Franchise QB the rebuild will take forever.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by coastal View Post
          Lets look at this from a needs standpoint... - RT - LG.. Levitre is so gone. - TE - WR - QB - DT - OLB - ILB - SS - CB certainly feels like it.
          Yes.

That's what happens every time there is a regime change.

It's the downside of changing regimes that many don't want to look at.

I think we should expect questionable play for all of next year as we try to learn new schemes and a year at least or several years of not having the right personnel for our schemes.

The only way this does'nt happen is if we find a way to teach our players the new schemes and terminology before we play any games and/or if we truly adapt our schemes to our players which hasn't ever really happened even though several previous HC's said they would do that.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
            Without a Franchise QB the rebuild will take forever.
            And that's why this rebuild will take longer than 3 years. There are no franchise QB's available. It will be at least one more year before we get one, then time for him to develop.

I suppose we could get lucky and find a Russell Wilson type in the 2nd or 3rd, but luck has always been the enemy of Buffalo sports.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• delectrolux
              • May 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              And that's why this rebuild will take longer than 3 years. There are no franchise QB's available. It will be at least one more year before we get one, then time for him to develop.

I suppose we could get lucky and find a Russell Wilson type in the 2nd or 3rd, but luck has always been the enemy of Buffalo sports.
              Unfortunately luck's got nothing to do with it. Incompetence has always been the enemy of Buffalo sports.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by delectrolux View Post
                Unfortunately luck's got nothing to do with it. Incompetence has always been the enemy of Buffalo sports.
                I think "luck" has everything to do with it. Either a team gets lucky and lands a Brady, Ben, Kelly, Marino, Luck, etc...or they get unlucky and land a Losman, Johnson, Edwards, etc...

A team that is consistent year in and year out usually has a franchise QB.

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Is this another 3 year rebuild?
                  With a little luck.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• imbondz
                    Democrats are people too
                    • Jan 2003

at least 3 unless we hit the Marv Levy jackpot again.
                    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Lets look at this from a needs standpoint...

- RT
                      - LG.. Levitre is so gone.
                      - TE
                      - WR
                      - QB

- DT
                      - OLB
                      - ILB
                      - SS
                      - CB

certainly feels like it.
                      RT to me isn't a big concern
                      LG is a concern if Levitre is let go but let's not forget Marrone was a former NFL O-line coach.
                      TE is a vital part of a good WCO, that's why I say bring in Dustin Keller.
                      WR It doesn't hurt to have another playmaker that's why I calling for drafting Cordalle Patterson
                      QB To me is always the final piece of the puzzle. I'm calling for drafting EJ Manuel as he fits the "Cam Newton" mold.

DT ? Not sure why you saying that's a need as think we have two strong starters here
                      DE ? We could use some help at the opposite side of Mario but I wouldn't say a BIG need.
                      OLB Yes, we need help here at WLB.
                      MLB See OLB.
                      SS Not a pivitol position in most defenses so give Searcy a chance.
                      CB It would help to have another starting guy opposite Gilmore but think if we improve the LBs we can get away of a lesser talent.

Comment

• bf1
                        • Oct 2010

Bumbling Buddy Nix says he's going to stay the course. So the tremendous progress will continue.

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

I don't believe in the three year model.

If a team gets the right QB/HC combo, the wins will happen immediately.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• coastal
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                            I don't believe in the three year model.
                            Been waiting for someone to say this, although I don't believe the QB has to be a definitive part of that equation. Trust that I understand having Aaron Rogers doesn't hurt either though.

i believe the Bills CAN make a go of it this year. They have a special talent in Spiller.

Build the offense around him... Supplement what he brings to the table with a rational understanding of what you have at QB.

plug some one year vets into the D and make a go of it.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Been waiting for someone to say this, although I don't believe the QB has to be a definitive part of that equation. Trust that I understand having Aaron Rogers doesn't hurt either though.

i believe the Bills CAN make a go of it this year. They have a special talent in Spiller.

Build the offense around him... Supplement what he brings to the table with a rational understanding of what you have at QB.

plug some one year vets into the D and make a go of it.
                              The line still has trouble getting tough yards. If we really do want to use Spiller, the line needs an upgrade. People can quote the sacks stats all day, but with Fitz's quick release, short throws, good pocket awareness and escapability plus Chan's spread offense with multiple outlets and hot routes, it's REALLY hard for a D to actually get a sack.

Our line isn't stellar. But it can be*.

*(i'm preaching to the choir again)

Comment

Working...
                              X