PDA

View Full Version : coastal's Train Business Model, applied to the Buffalo Bills

YardRat
03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Here it is, in case you missed it... http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/217555-Levitre-signs-with-Titans/page3

have you ever the heard the 10-80-10 ratio of business mgmt? It goes like this... 10% of your organization pull the train, 80% do their jobs and are along for the ride, and the other 10% drag the train.
a good manager rewards the 10% that's pulling the train, incentivizes the 80% who are along for the ride and lop off the 10% who are dragging the train.

Here is a pretty accurate accounting of the Bills roster as of December 2012 (includes IR and PS)...

QB-Fitzpatrick/Thigpen/T Jackson/B.Smith
RB-Jackson/Spiller/Choice
FB-McIntyre
WR-Stevie/Jones/TJ Graham/Nelson/Easley/R.Martin
TE-Chandler/Smith/Dorin Dickerson/Caussin
T-Glenn/Pears/Hairston/Young/T.Welch/C.Scott/C.Brown/Z.Sanders
G-Levitre/Urbick/Rhinehart/Snow/K.Williams
C-Wood

K-Lindell
P-Powell
LS-Sanborn

DE-M.Williams/Anderson/Merriman/Kelsay/Moore
DT-Williams/Dareus/Johnson/Carrington/T.Troup
OLB-Bradham/Barnett/Moats/White/B.Scott
ILB-Sheppard
CB-Williams/Gilmore/McGee/McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers/C Butler/TJ Heath
SS-Wilson/Searcy
FS-Byrd/M.Silva

Roughly 60 players, counting IR and PS.

Using coastal's business model, 10%, or 6 players, should be rewarded. 10%, or 6 players, should be 'lopped off'. The other 80% are 'along for the ride'.

Who are your 6 players that should be rewarded?
Who are your 6 players that should be lopped off?
Is there anybody not in the top or bottom 6 that you would consider as pulling the train, or dragging it?

coastal
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
I know you don't add a $100 million employee who doesn't want to pull the train because his wrist hurts.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Rewarded:

Spiller, Kyle, Joker, Byrd, LeVitre (we are going to really regret letting him go), and Wood

Lopped off: Fitz (axing him was the best thing done this offseason, and it should have happened last season), Kelsay (never did understand the signing), Brad Smith (worthless in the wildcat, worthless as a qb, worthless as a wr, worthless in the return game, just plain worthless), Powell (we seriously let Moorman go so we could sign this guy?), Anderson (that was a wishful thinking acquisition if I ever saw one), Aaron Williams (hasn't done all that much back there).

Pulling the train: FJax, he is a dependable back and should be in as a Kenny Davis role to Spiller's Thurman Thomas impersonation. Chandler, if he could just stay healthy he isn't all that bad of a redzone threat. Lindell, he's gotten over his choking habit he had in the middle of the decade.

Dragging/slowing down the train:

Dareus, I still want to say its the coaching and lack of leadership but someone really needs to light the fire under his ass and get him to rise to the abilities facilitated by his natural talents. Mario, his 10.5 sacks were nice but they looked Schobelesque and I can't recall him ever positively dictating the outcome of a game.

Scumbag College
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Well one of the guys that should be rewarded is gone in Levitre. The others would be Spiller, Stevie, Glenn, Gilmore, and Byrd. Cases could be made for Freddy (age, lost a step), Chandler (injury), Wood (durability), Mario (cost, lack of early production), and Dareus (inconsistent) but just have one issue or another that keep them from being bonafied train pullers.

There are way more than six players on that list that have dragged or are dragging this team down, several of whom are gone off of this list. Of the remaining players, I would have to say they would be Aaron Williams and Sheppard are obvious choices. There's alot of guys on there that should be practice squad guys or training camp bodies whom due to the Bills total ineptitude ended the season on the active roster. I can't include them on that list.

The Jokeman
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Rewarded:

Spiller, Kyle, Joker, Byrd, LeVitre (we are going to really regret letting him go), and Wood

Lopped off: Fitz (axing him was the best thing done this offseason, and it should have happened last season), Kelsay (never did understand the signing), Brad Smith (worthless in the wildcat, worthless as a qb, worthless as a wr, worthless in the return game, just plain worthless), Powell (we seriously let Moorman go so we could sign this guy?), Anderson (that was a wishful thinking acquisition if I ever saw one), Aaron Williams (hasn't done all that much back there).

Pulling the train: FJax, he is a dependable back and should be in as a Kenny Davis role to Spiller's Thurman Thomas impersonation. Chandler, if he could just stay healthy he isn't all that bad of a redzone threat. Lindell, he's gotten over his choking habit he had in the middle of the decade.

Dragging/slowing down the train:

Dareus, I still want to say its the coaching and lack of leadership but someone really needs to light the fire under his ass and get him to rise to the abilities facilitated by his natural talents. Mario, his 10.5 sacks were nice but they looked Schobelesque and I can't recall him ever positively dictating the outcome of a game.

Mario was a vital cog in us beating the Dolphins on Thursday night football.

coastal
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Pulling the train...

1.) Levitre (shown the door)
2.) Fred Jackson (already rewarded)
3.) Kyle Williams (already rewarded)
4.) Jarius Byrd (in limbo)
5.) Brian Moorman (shown the door)
6.) Stevie Johnson (already rewarded)

Dragging the train...

1.) Mario Williams (earned nothing here but got biggest reward of anyone only to verbally declare he's not a leader and that his wrist hurts.)
2.) Chris Kelsay (received a couple of rewards during his toilet of a ten year career here.)
3.) Spencer Johnson (our run defense has blown every pitiful year this DT has been here, but he's made millions in rewards.)
4.) Torrell Troupe (who?)
5.) Aaron Williams (sucks)
6.) Brad Smith (rofl)

YardRat
03-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Pulling the train...

1.) Levitre (shown the door)
2.) Fred Jackson (already rewarded)
3.) Kyle Williams (already rewarded)
4.) Jarius Byrd (in limbo)
5.) Brian Moorman (shown the door)
6.) Stevie Johnson (already rewarded)

Dragging the train...

1.) Mario Williams (earned nothing here but got biggest reward of anyone only to verbally declare he's not a leader and that his wrist hurts.)
2.) Chris Kelsay (received a couple of rewards during his toilet of a ten year career here.)
3.) Spencer Johnson (our run defense has blown every pitiful year this DT has been here, but he's made millions in rewards.)
4.) Torrell Troupe (who?)
5.) Aaron Williams (sucks)
6.) Brad Smith (rofl)

So Spiller and Wood are just along for the ride?

coastal
03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
So Spiller and Wood are just along for the ride?
Spiller is unproven as the showpiece. I'd certainly look to incentivize him by getting him the ball more... Showcase him heading into his next contract. If he can't turn into a train puller... you'll know what to do when that time comes.

wood is injured every year. When he's healthy he's a puller... But u can't ignore the injury history.

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
If you wanted to make a train analogy for the Bills, this one is way too complicated. All you had to say was this:

A train jumps the tracks and creates a horrible, bloody, fiery mess. The owner of the train company promises to clean up the mess and get the surviving people and cargo back on track to their destination. But, instead, every so often they send another train barreling down the same sent of tracks, hence multiplying the existing train wreck several times over.