PDA

View Full Version : 3-15 Daily list of players who are still unsigned and would bring value to this team

X-Era
03-15-2013, 07:30 PM
LB:
Karlos Dansby
James Harrison
Justin Durant
Dan Connor
Dwight Freeney
Daryl Smith
Bart Scott
Brad Jones
Calvin Pace

S:
Ed Reed
Quntin Mikell
Bernard Pollard
Gerald Sensabaugh

G:
Brandon Moore
Deuce Lutui
Kevin Boothe

TE:
Fred Davis
Chris Cooley
Kevin Boss
Brandon Myers

WR:
Josh Cribbs
DHB
Louis Murphy
Steve Smith
Dominek Hixon
Ramses Barden

clumping platelets
03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
What about DL?

The Jokeman
03-15-2013, 07:50 PM
LB:
Karlos Dansby -If we're running a 4-3 not sure he has a place to play
James Harrison -I'm not a fan, the Steelers are one of those smart teams that knows when to let go of aging vets
Justin Durant -I'm shocked he's out there
Dan Connor -He's always been talked about since his days at PSU but think he's overhyped
Dwight Freeney -I don't like him for this roster but he'll likely sign with New England and prove us wrong that his tank isn't empty
Daryl Smith -Worth a chance but it might get we traded Poz for this? comments
Bart Scott -If want a 2 down LB maybe worth a look but not sure where he fits as are 2 OLBs are Nigel and Manny
Brad Jones
Calvin Pace

S:
EDIT: Mike Huff -Not sure we need a starter but he'd be top of my list if looking for one
Ed Reed -He seemed to be flirting with Houston for a very long time and he's a FS not a SS
Quntin Mikell -Not a big fan
Bernard Pollard -Age is a big concern
Gerald Sensabaugh -Not a big fan

G:
Brandon Moore -As long as it's for less than $3m
Deuce Lutui -He's suspended the first 4 games due to being caught with PED.
Kevin Boothe -Solid pick but wonder why no one's signed him yet

TE:
Fred Davis -ACL injuries scare me especially on guys who rely on speed to be difference makers
Chris Cooley- This guy has seen his last days in the NFL unless the Redskins can't re-sign Davis but even then he may have seen his last days.
Kevin Boss- I was never a big fan of us and the Chiefs not keeping him makes me want him even less.
Brandon Myers -Possible 1 year wonder.

WR:
Josh Cribbs -I think he signed with Arizona or was pretty close
DHB -I'd take him
Louis Murphy -He starteved over DHB in Oakland
EDIT: Mohamed Massaquoi -I wonder if he's as bad as his numbers have been or just the Cleveland Browns QB have been that bad
EDIT: Ben Obamanu -Maybe not a true #2 but think worth a look
Steve Smith -Sorry he not the same player he was with the Giants, injury has ruined him or the lack of Eli Manning
Dominek Hixon -The Kevin Everett connection makes him landing here almost impossible
Ramses Barden -I don't get the interest

bigbub2352
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
i would like

FB jerome Felton

WR Josh Cribbs or Louis Murphy

Guard Moore or Booth

Is Roach still out there?

Dansby or Durant

TE Myers i year wonder or not he has more talent than SMith and Chandler is hurtin

clumping platelets
03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Felton re-signed

One of the worse run D's....we should be looking for DL help

X-Era
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
LB:
Karlos Dansby -If we're running a 4-3 not sure he has a place to play
James Harrison -I'm not a fan, the Steelers are one of those smart teams that knows when to let go of aging vets
Justin Durant -I'm shocked he's out there
Dan Connor -He's always been talked about since his days at PSU but think he's overhyped
Dwight Freeney -I don't like him for this roster but he'll likely sign with New England and prove us wrong that his tank isn't empty
Daryl Smith -Worth a chance but it might get we traded Poz for this? comments
Bart Scott -If want a 2 down LB maybe worth a look but not sure where he fits as are 2 OLBs are Nigel and Manny
Brad Jones
Calvin Pace

S:
EDIT: Mike Huff -Not sure we need a starter but he'd be top of my list if looking for one
Ed Reed -He seemed to be flirting with Houston for a very long time and he's a FS not a SS
Quntin Mikell -Not a big fan
Bernard Pollard -Age is a big concern
Gerald Sensabaugh -Not a big fan

G:
Brandon Moore -As long as it's for less than $3m
Deuce Lutui -He's suspended the first 4 games due to being caught with PED.
Kevin Boothe -Solid pick but wonder why no one's signed him yet

TE:
Fred Davis -ACL injuries scare me especially on guys who rely on speed to be difference makers
Chris Cooley- This guy has seen his last days in the NFL unless the Redskins can't re-sign Davis but even then he may have seen his last days.
Kevin Boss- I was never a big fan of us and the Chiefs not keeping him makes me want him even less.
Brandon Myers -Possible 1 year wonder.

WR:
Josh Cribbs -I think he signed with Arizona or was pretty close
DHB -I'd take him
Louis Murphy -He starteved over DHB in Oakland
EDIT: Mohamed Massaquoi -I wonder if he's as bad as his numbers have been or just the Cleveland Browns QB have been that bad
EDIT: Ben Obamanu -Maybe not a true #2 but think worth a look
Steve Smith -Sorry he not the same player he was with the Giants, injury has ruined him or the lack of Eli Manning
Dominek Hixon -The Kevin Everett connection makes him landing here almost impossible
Ramses Barden -I don't get the interest
So, I don't totally think you're guilty. But... I think we look at FA as a place where we should be getting instant starters. I'd like to get that out of FA too. But even if we don't we can still get upgrades at depth positions. Signing a guy like Kevin Boss at the minimum is a better player than Caussin or Lee.

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Doesn't matter. These ******s in the front office don't think any free agents are worth talking to apparently. Instead of sending scouts to pro-days, both GMs are going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-ViF6JRNjTk

kingJofNYC
03-15-2013, 09:54 PM
A lot of scrubs that won't add **** to this team are on that list. Best players available are mostly CBs, but that's thinning out as well.

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2013, 11:16 PM
A lot of scrubs that won't add **** to this team are on that list. Best players available are mostly CBs, but that's thinning out as well.

Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb

clumping platelets
03-16-2013, 12:20 AM
I hope they can add a veteran TE and DL depth.........I'd even give Seymour a 2 yr deal with incentives or Sen'Derrick Marks would be a good addition for the right price.

This way it narrows down the need list come draft day

stuckincincy
03-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Felton re-signed

One of the worse run D's....we should be looking for DL help

CIN DT Pat Sims was signed by OAK. There's your run defender.

kingJofNYC
03-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb

Harrison, Dansby, Moore, Davis, Reed, and Freeney are the guys that are worth a look but most are over the hill. Receivers on that list are ****. Still a few CBs this team needs one but I'm dumb so ill leave it to the experts to compile these lists.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Harrison, Dansby, Moore, Davis, Reed, and Freeney are the guys that are worth a look but most are over the hill. Receivers on that list are ****. Still a few CBs this team needs one but I'm dumb so ill leave it to the experts to compile these lists.

Your words were that they were scrubs, most of those listed are not. So that was a pretty dumb statement. Any one of those players if signed by the Bills would make them better. It's just too bad that Buddy has no interest in making this team better.

Night Train
03-16-2013, 04:43 AM
As far fetched as it sounds, I think they're still giving Troup a shot at DT. I'm not endorsing it myself but I've read a few reports recently about his rehab going well and how he's lifting the gym. Place him next to Dareus inside for a number of snaps and the run D does improve.

What they really need is a better answer at MLB. I can see Bradham and Lawson outside.

better days
03-16-2013, 08:40 AM
As far fetched as it sounds, I think they're still giving Troup a shot at DT. I'm not endorsing it myself but I've read a few reports recently about his rehab going well and how he's lifting the gym. Place him next to Dareus inside for a number of snaps and the run D does improve.

What they really need is a better answer at MLB. I can see Bradham and Lawson outside.

Nix has said this draft is deep with LBs & WRs. I expect both of those positions to be addressed in the draft.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Nix has said this draft is deep with LBs & WRs. I expect both of those positions to be addressed in the draft.
I agree with him at WR. Not so much at ILB. ILB is a weak class to me. My favorites are mid to late rounders like Mauti and Bostic. OLB, especially if you're looking for 3-4 and/or 4-3 guys is deeper after the 1st round.

I'd like sign another LB'er. Moreover a ILB for insurance. Dansby tops my list but he may feel he's still worth a big contract.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 12:22 PM
LB:
Karlos Dansby
James Harrison
Justin Durant
Dan Connor
Dwight Freeney
Daryl Smith
Bart Scott
Brad Jones
Calvin Pace

S:
Ed Reed
Quntin Mikell
Bernard Pollard
Gerald Sensabaugh

G:
Brandon Moore
Deuce Lutui
Kevin Boothe

TE:
Fred Davis
Chris Cooley
Kevin Boss
Brandon Myers

WR:
Josh Cribbs
DHB
Louis Murphy
Steve Smith
Dominek Hixon
Ramses Barden

the inept FO is too busy doing other things. FA's are not a priority. :birds:

kingJofNYC
03-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Your words were that they were scrubs, most of those listed are not. So that was a pretty dumb statement. Any one of those players if signed by the Bills would make them better. It's just too bad that Buddy has no interest in making this team better.

Outside of the guys I listed, I see a lot of scrubs and dead weight.

Bart Scott is no better than Barnett, in fact I'd rather have Barnett.

psubills62
03-16-2013, 12:51 PM
If we're running a 4-3 after signing Manny Lawson, then even Pettine is a worse/dumber coach than I thought.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 12:53 PM
If we're running a 4-3 after signing Manny Lawson, then even Pettine is a worse/dumber coach than I thought.I think we'll be base 3-4 but run 4-3 plenty and I wonder how Lawson may do as a rusher in the Nickel or even off the edge in the 4-3.

Overall I think he was a situational signee

The Jokeman
03-16-2013, 01:44 PM
If we're running a 4-3 after signing Manny Lawson, then even Pettine is a worse/dumber coach than I thought.

The issue, as I presented before, is that the D-line to me seems better suited to run a 4-3 and Bradham, our best LB, seemed better off in the 4-3. That's where the Lawson signing puzzled me. I get he has played in both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses and has some versatillity but to me the guy has never been anything more than average in the NFL and not sure why he was a priority.

In terms of names, both Louis Murphy and Dan Conner signed one year contracts with the Giants per http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9059498/new-york-giants-sign-dan-connor-louis-murphy-sources and they're also been talking with Brandon Myers.

psubills62
03-16-2013, 01:56 PM
The issue, as I presented before, is that the D-line to me seems better suited to run a 4-3 and Bradham, our best LB, seemed better off in the 4-3. That's where the Lawson signing puzzled me. I get he has played in both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses and has some versatillity but to me the guy has never been anything more than average in the NFL and not sure why he was a priority.
I don't know if we can say Bradham is necessarily better off in the 4-3. Has he played in a 3-4 yet? I don't personally know if he'd be a fit, but I wouldn't mind seeing Sheppard as the thumper ILB and Bradham as the tackling ILB (too lazy to look up the actual names).

Kyle Williams does seem better suited for a 4-3. Though I'd say Dareus is a better fit for the 3-4. Mario can play the 3-4 based on the little we saw in Houston, but sounds like he doesn't prefer it. Either way, even if we play a 3-4, Mario will have his hand in the ground, which should be fine.

To me, the Lawson signing indicates we're going to run a 3-4. And based on what Pettine ran with the Jets, I don't think it's too surprising. JMO.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't know if we can say Bradham is necessarily better off in the 4-3. Has he played in a 3-4 yet? I don't personally know if he'd be a fit, but I wouldn't mind seeing Sheppard as the thumper ILB and Bradham as the tackling ILB (too lazy to look up the actual names).

Kyle Williams does seem better suited for a 4-3. Though I'd say Dareus is a better fit for the 3-4. Mario can play the 3-4 based on the little we saw in Houston, but sounds like he doesn't prefer it. Either way, even if we play a 3-4, Mario will have his hand in the ground, which should be fine.

To me, the Lawson signing indicates we're going to run a 3-4. And based on what Pettine ran with the Jets, I don't think it's too surprising. JMO.I wonder if Lawson signing just means we want the personnel to run the 3-4 but maybe not use it as our base defense.

The Jokeman
03-16-2013, 02:10 PM

To me, the Lawson signing indicates we're going to run a 3-4. And based on what Pettine ran with the Jets, I don't think it's too surprising. JMO.

I agree it looks like we're going 3-4 but to me the mark of good 3-4s is a great NT and great OLBs that get to the QB. I don't like Kyle Williams as a NT at all and don't see Lawson as a great OLB. Mario Williams might be able to play the part for one side and Bradham/Shepperd in the ILB is an okay pairing just not ideal. So to me if we go 3-4 we lack the all important NT, DE and OLB whereas had we kept with a 4-3 think we lacked a WLB, MLB and tackling DE which to me a little easier to fill.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2013, 02:17 PM
I agree it looks like we're going 3-4 but to me the mark of good 3-4s is a great NT and great OLBs that get to the QB. I don't like Kyle Williams as a NT at all and don't see Lawson as a great OLB. Mario Williams might be able to play the part for one side and Bradham/Shepperd in the ILB is an okay pairing just not ideal. So to me if we go 3-4 we lack the all important NT, DE and OLB whereas had we kept with a 4-3 think we lacked a WLB, MLB and tackling DE which to me a little easier to fill.

Dareus was better as a 3-4 NT than he was last year and an inside DT.

psubills62
03-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Per the NT issue, I actually have 3 responses to that:

1) Dareus played tremendously as NT in his rookie season, after K. Williams got injured. I think Dareus has the versatility to play either NT or DE, maybe kicking him out on passing downs, when K. Williams can come in and rush the passer from the NT position.

2) K. Williams could play NT in a 1-gap system. His penetrating ability is obviously very good.

3) Over the last few years, I've come to realize how unimportant (for lack of a better word) a "premier" NT is. It seems to me like nearly every NT in a 3-4 is seen as really good. Casey Hampton, Aubrayo Franklin, Ratliff, Sione Pouha (and the guy they had before him, can't remember his name - originally from the Panthers), etc. But look at what happened when Aubrayo Franklin became a free agent - nobody really wanted him. I don't think 3-4 NT's are ultimately that difficult to find if you're running a 2-gap system. Chargers got a top NT from undrafted free agency. Even Jay Ratliff, who admittedly plays 1-gap, came from a late round, as did Franklin.

As for OLB, that's where Mario would play. And he played well at it. I wouldn't say Lawson is a great OLB at all, but he played decently in San Fran.

We can disagree on what kind of shape we're in. Either way, no matter what defense we run, I think we have holes that need to be filled. I'd rather Pettine run what he's comfortable with and build towards that end, personally.

No matter which direction they go, all I want to see is a coherent plan in FA and the draft, unlike the boobs who ran our defenses the last three years, muddling about and refusing to truly commit to either defense. The switch back to the 4-3 pretty much wasted two years of drafting for defense.

The Jokeman
03-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Per the NT issue, I actually have 3 responses to that:

1) Dareus played tremendously as NT in his rookie season, after K. Williams got injured. I think Dareus has the versatility to play either NT or DE, maybe kicking him out on passing downs, when K. Williams can come in and rush the passer from the NT position.

2) K. Williams could play NT in a 1-gap system. His penetrating ability is obviously very good.

3) Over the last few years, I've come to realize how unimportant (for lack of a better word) a "premier" NT is. It seems to me like nearly every NT in a 3-4 is seen as really good. Casey Hampton, Aubrayo Franklin, Ratliff, Sione Pouha (and the guy they had before him, can't remember his name - originally from the Panthers), etc. But look at what happened when Aubrayo Franklin became a free agent - nobody really wanted him. I don't think 3-4 NT's are ultimately that difficult to find if you're running a 2-gap system. Chargers got a top NT from undrafted free agency. Even Jay Ratliff, who admittedly plays 1-gap, came from a late round, as did Franklin.

As for OLB, that's where Mario would play. And he played well at it. I wouldn't say Lawson is a great OLB at all, but he played decently in San Fran.

We can disagree on what kind of shape we're in. Either way, no matter what defense we run, I think we have holes that need to be filled. I'd rather Pettine run what he's comfortable with and build towards that end, personally.

No matter which direction they go, all I want to see is a coherent plan in FA and the draft, unlike the boobs who ran our defenses the last three years, muddling about and refusing to truly commit to either defense. The switch back to the 4-3 pretty much wasted two years of drafting for defense.

Pouha is actually available as the Jets cut him and the guy prior was Kris Jenkins. I would welcome the Bills to sign him even if it's to serve as a backup/mentor to Troup who I have little faith in but for whatever reason the Bills do. I guess I forgot Dareus played NT when Kyle Williams went down I as he's always been a DE in a 3-4 in my minds eye. This is what angers me is we're trying to get Kyle Williams into a hole he doesn't fit into by playing a 3-4 also we're not taking full advantage of Mario Williams in a 3-4 either as to me he's an outstanding DE in a 4-3 I can't comment on his play at OLB in Houston as didn't watch him. Yet in terms of Manny Lawson, remember who replaced him with the 49ers? Aldon Smith.

psubills62
03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Pouha is actually available as the Jets cut him and the guy prior was Kris Jenkins. I would welcome the Bills to sign him even if it's to serve as a backup/mentor to Troup who I have little faith in but for whatever reason the Bills do. I guess I forgot Dareus played NT when Kyle Williams went down I as he's always been a DE in a 3-4 in my minds eye. This is what angers me is we're trying to get Kyle Williams into a hole he doesn't fit into by playing a 3-4 also we're not taking full advantage of Mario Williams in a 3-4 either as to me he's an outstanding DE in a 4-3 I can't comment on his play at OLB in Houston as didn't watch him. Yet in terms of Manny Lawson, remember who replaced him with the 49ers? Aldon Smith.
I know, I was actually thinking before that Pouha wouldn't be a terrible pickup. Jenkins, thank you, that was the name.

I've given up on Troup at this point. If Pettine can get something out of him, great. I wouldn't care if they moved on, though.

I think Mario averaged more than a sack a game in Houston (something like 6.5 sacks in 6 games) as a 3-4 OLB, so I have no problem seeing what he can do there. I'd love an Aldon Smith too. Right now, given the state of our team, I think Lawson is fine as a one or maybe two-season starter, then hopefully being a backup/depth after that.