PDA

View Full Version : do most teams keep a 3rd qb type active?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
does anyone know for sure that teams keep at least three guys active that can throw the ball, at the very least 2 real qbs, and a 3rd qb who played qb in hs but plays rb or wr now? because if we cut brad smith and only keep tuel inactive, then who would play qb if ej and kolb got hurt hypothetically?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-13-2013, 10:29 PM
reason I ask is because I would like to keep marcus Easley... so would we just keep our 3rd qb like tuel active on gameday?

Yasgur's Farm
05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
I would say Brad Smith is a goner regardless. But... There are always a few injuries in TC that keep somebody on the roster. In that case, if there were 1 or 2 injuries to WR's, Brad Smith and Easley could be here.

TigerJ
05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
I know it used to be that teams always kept tree QBs on the 53 man roster, and then had two active on Sunday. There also might be an emergency QB, a player at another position who took a few snaps at QB, and maybe had played QB at one time or another, who wouldn't be totally lost. Of course, at one time rosters were smaller than 53 members, but even then, 3 was the norm at QB. More recently, some teams have been keeping two on the 53 man roster, and one on the PS. If Buffalo cuts Jackson and only keeps Kolb as a veteran, they might well do that with Tuel. As far as 5 versus 6 WRs, there are some other ways you can adjust the roster to make that possible. If Chris Gragg could learn to be a solid blocker, he's the right size and could maybe be a TE/FB, filling a dual role.

stuckincincy
05-14-2013, 09:55 AM
I know it used to be that teams always kept tree QBs on the 53 man roster, and then had two active on Sunday. There also might be an emergency QB, a player at another position who took a few snaps at QB, and maybe had played QB at one time or another, who wouldn't be totally lost. Of course, at one time rosters were smaller than 53 members, but even then, 3 was the norm at QB. More recently, some teams have been keeping two on the 53 man roster, and one on the PS. If Buffalo cuts Jackson and only keeps Kolb as a veteran, they might well do that with Tuel. As far as 5 versus 6 WRs, there are some other ways you can adjust the roster to make that possible. If Chris Gragg could learn to be a solid blocker, he's the right size and could maybe be a TE/FB, filling a dual role.

They modified the rules about bringing in a 3rd qb during a game last season or the one before that. I don't recall the details - I think he was there if needed, but didn't count against the 45-man game day active roster.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-15-2013, 08:03 AM
They modified the rules about bringing in a 3rd qb during a game last season or the one before that. I don't recall the details - I think he was there if needed, but didn't count against the 45-man game day active roster. the 3rd qb can play at anytime, or be any position. from 45-46, the 46th spot is no longer an " emergency qb". not only that, once your 1st 2 qbs go down, you can still bring in the original qb whereas before you couldn't once the 3 qb was in.... it was a dumb rule. that's why I was curious as to whether or not teams keep 3 qbs active now on gameday?

swiper
05-15-2013, 08:06 AM
reason I ask is because I would like to keep marcus Easley

You act as if you have a choice in the matter.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
You act as if you have a choice in the matter. touché

IlluminatusUIUC
05-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Most do not AFAIK. If there's an emergency, usually most teams have one player who's trained to take snaps and do handoffs and that's about it.

SCBILLFAN1
05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
They modified the rules about bringing in a 3rd qb during a game last season or the one before that. I don't recall the details - I think he was there if needed, but didn't count against the 45-man game day active roster.

What the NFL made a rule that makes sense?