PDA

View Full Version : He's Got, "It." EJ Manuel Is Winning The QB Competition

BillsImpossible
08-01-2013, 08:49 PM
It's not even close according to numerous reports. Listening to WGR today I heard how Kolb hasn't performed very well and the young rookie looks very good in comparison. A prominent national sports reporter (forgot the name) said he knew Manuel was the better of the two QB's almost instantly.

EJ Manuel is already creating a buzz around the NFL. In the grand scheme of the franchise, this is the most excellent news I've read about the Buffalo Bills in more than a decade.

Bills rookie QB EJ Manuel Has Look of Day 1 Starter
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--bills-rookie-qb-ej-manuel-has-look-of-a-day-1-starter--022958756.html

Comparing Geno Smith and EJ Manuel
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap2000000223407/Comparing-Geno-Smith-and-EJ-Manuel

Buffalo Bills: Why EJ Manuel Will Win QB Training Camp Battle Over Kevin Kolb
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1720611-buffalo-bills-why-ej-manuel-will-win-qb-training-camp-battle-over-kevin-kolb

Why EJ Manuel Will Start Week One For Buffalo Bills
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/07/31/why-ej-manuel-will-start-week-one-for-buffalo-bills/

I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for the preseason!

The only thing EJ Manuel lacks is experience.

Bills vs. Colts preseason game 1 is only 10 days away.

"Can you believe it, Murph?" as Van Miller would say.

OpIv37
08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Just to put things in perspective: Manuel is outperforming a QB who was ditched in favor of Michael Vick then rejected by Arizona, going against a D that was ranked 26th in the NFL last year and is learning a new system.

Don't get me wrong- it's good to see that he's ahead of Kolb instead of looking lost (insert Geno Smith joke here). But if the last 13 years have taught us anything, it should be to not get ahead of ourselves.

BillsImpossible
08-01-2013, 09:19 PM
I am cautiously optimistic as well, and I most certainly understand where you're coming from.

But you know what they say about first impressions...they're often true.

Let's just get it out of the way right now before the season even starts and jump to obvious conclusions.

The Bills have a franchise quarterback, and it shows. In the video above from nfl.com at about 1 minute 5 seconds in, did you see the size of EJ compared to the other players on the field?

He's freaking huge!

Thurmal
08-01-2013, 09:30 PM
I, like every Bills fan, want to see Manuel get starts this year. But, I want Kolb to start the season. I do not want Manuel's first start to be a bloodbath against NE, like Losman's was.

BillsImpossible
08-01-2013, 09:43 PM
I, like every Bills fan, want to see Manuel get starts this year. But, I want Kolb to start the season. I do not want Manuel's first start to be a bloodbath against NE, like Losman's was.

Losman was horrible from day 1 of training camp, unlike EJ Manuel.

His teammates thought he was an arrogant, cocky, immature ***** and didn't want to play for him, unlike EJ Manuel.

Losman was the biggest reach in Bills history.

EJ Manuel is the polar opposite of Losman in so many ways.

Thurmal
08-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Losman was horrible from day 1 of training camp, unlike EJ Manuel.

His teammates thought he was an arrogant, cocky, immature ***** and didn't want to play for him, unlike EJ Manuel.

Losman was the biggest reach in Bills history.

EJ Manuel is the polar opposite of Losman in so many ways.
And you know this after 4 days of training camp? Losman said and did all the right things. Then dumbass Mularkey gave him his first NFL action during the 4th quarter of a Pats beatdown in New England and watched him get mangled. Losman the biggest reach in Bills history? John McCargo, Donte Whitner, Erik Flowers, and Aaron Maybin would all like to have a word with you.

BertSquirtgum
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Just to put things in perspective: Manuel is outperforming a QB who was ditched in favor of Michael Vick then rejected by Arizona, going against a D that was ranked 26th in the NFL last year and is learning a new system.

Don't get me wrong- it's good to see that he's ahead of Kolb instead of looking lost (insert Geno Smith joke here). But if the last 13 years have taught us anything, it should be to not get ahead of ourselves.

I wish somebody would **** on you the way you **** on everything positive.

BillsImpossible
08-01-2013, 10:26 PM
"Losman said and did all the right things."

No he didn't, and his record proved it. Losman never earned the respect of the team because he did not say and do all the right things. If he did, he'd still be in the league.

OpIv37
08-01-2013, 10:34 PM
I wish somebody would **** on you the way you **** on everything positive.

I didn't **** on anything. I simply stated the reality. And the guy that posted it agreed with me.

THATHURMANATOR
08-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Why do you feel the need to "put things in perspective"? WHYYYYYY???? Just let it play out man.

THATHURMANATOR
08-01-2013, 11:11 PM
I didn't **** on anything. I simply stated the reality. And the guy that posted it agreed with me.

Op I love you man. You are a zone legend but yes you did. You are one of the biggest Debbie Downers in the history of planet earth. you must know that about yourself right? I guess in OP terms it was as optimistic as you could ever be.

Lets just pray to baby Jesus EJ Manuel is the savior of the Buffalo Bills.

Scumbag College
08-02-2013, 12:09 AM
I think the Bills brass brought in Kolb as somewhat of a patsy. The Bills knew that they were going to draft a QB early and start him Day 1. Kolb doesn't pose much of a threat if a rookie QB would struggle to have fans screaming for Kolb to start. If they brought in an accomplished NFL QB then this might cause unrest if EJ starts slow. But starting EJ from Day 1 with Kolb, whom for all intents and purposes is now a journeyman backup QB in the NFL, gives him room to struggle and make mistakes without someone breathing down his back.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-02-2013, 12:53 AM
http://youtu.be/0YVOcSSCfWA

Night Train
08-02-2013, 04:33 AM
Had to laugh at local radio yesterday. Chris "Bulldog" Parker is already calling him the teams 2nd greatest QB ever. I wonder if he did the same thing several years back with Losman ?

Just let the kid play a game first before talking such nonsense. We're all rooting for him but he'll have his expected growing pains.

Meathead
08-02-2013, 05:18 AM
i thought ej manual WAS the baby jesus

mayotm
08-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Op I love you man. You are a zone legend but yes you did. You are one of the biggest Debbie Downers in the history of planet earth. you must know that about yourself right? I guess in OP terms it was as optimistic as you could ever be.

Lets just pray to baby Jesus EJ Manuel is the savior of the Buffalo Bills.Legend in his own mind.

mayotm
08-02-2013, 06:04 AM
I, like every Bills fan, want to see Manuel get starts this year. But, I want Kolb to start the season. I do not want Manuel's first start to be a bloodbath against NE, like Losman's was.For the record,
Losman's first start was against the Texans. He played pretty well and they won.

ICRockets
08-02-2013, 07:18 AM
And you know this after 4 days of training camp? Losman said and did all the right things. Then dumbass Mularkey gave him his first NFL action during the 4th quarter of a Pats beatdown in New England and watched him get mangled. Losman the biggest reach in Bills history? John McCargo, Donte Whitner, Erik Flowers, and Aaron Maybin would all like to have a word with you.

"He invited me into the house for a little bit. There he was with his tight little shorts, no shirt and his little red hat. He was doing some farming or something. He was covered in dirt. It was awesome."
-- JP Losman on meeting Brett Favre

better days
08-02-2013, 07:31 AM
I think the Bills brass brought in Kolb as somewhat of a patsy. The Bills knew that they were going to draft a QB early and start him Day 1. Kolb doesn't pose much of a threat if a rookie QB would struggle to have fans screaming for Kolb to start. If they brought in an accomplished NFL QB then this might cause unrest if EJ starts slow. But starting EJ from Day 1 with Kolb, whom for all intents and purposes is now a journeyman backup QB in the NFL, gives him room to struggle and make mistakes without someone breathing down his back.

Well, what vet AVAILABLE to the Bills would have been more a more accomplished QB than Kolb?

IMO, the Bills signed Kolb because he was the best QB available to them in FA.

He is good enough to hold down the fort until EJ is ready to start & will be a good back up QB once EJ wins the starting job..................which could be the first game of the season.

The King
08-02-2013, 07:33 AM
"Losman said and did all the right things."

No he didn't, and his record proved it. Losman never earned the respect of the team because he did not say and do all the right things. If he did, he'd still be in the league.

Losman also never earned a starting job. It was handed to him because he was drafted in the 1st round.
I can't think of a Bills player I have respected less than JP Losman.

better days
08-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Losman also never earned a starting job. It was handed to him because he was drafted in the 1st round.
I can't think of a Bills player I have respected less than JP Losman.

Billy Joe Hobert.

The King
08-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Billy Joe Hobert.
Not for me. I couldn't stand JP. I remember the first highlight of him I saw on bb.com was him playing drums. I hated where we drafted him, I think he felt entitled, I don't think he ever put the work in.

Chris Watson is a close second.

better days
08-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Not for me. I couldn't stand JP. I remember the first highlight of him I saw on bb.com was him playing drums. I hated where we drafted him, I think he felt entitled, I don't think he ever put the work in.

Do you remember Billy Joe Hobert?

The Bills got him from the Saints who he had played well for.

EVERYONE was EXCITED the Bills got him.

Then the Bills QB at the time (I can't remember who it was) got injured & Hobart went into the game.

I was EXCITED, but it was short lived.

Hobert was God awful. After the game, he said he NEVER looked at the playbook.

Hobert is for me the WORST QB the Bills ever acquired.

The King
08-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Then the Bills QB at the time (I can't remember who it was) got injured & Hobart went into the game.

I do remember him. He came from Oakland. Played for the Saints after Buffalo.

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Hobert?

I don't think people were losing their minds over the guy. He was better than what we had at the time but no one was rejoicing over him.

The King
08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Hobert?

I don't think people were losing their minds over the guy. He was better than what we had at the time but no one was rejoicing over him.
Yea we had AVP and Collins at the time.

justasportsfan
08-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Bledsoe.

We had a parade for him. He was expected to be the savior. We gave up a 1st rd. to the rival Pats. He had a top D to help him out and he choked when it mattered most.

OpIv37
08-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Lets just pray to baby Jesus EJ Manuel is the savior of the Buffalo Bills.
What the hell are you talking about? Ever notice how the team sucks? Ever notice how the overwhelming majority of things I say that make me "Debbie Downer" turn ou to be 100% correct?

Everyone here has this misconception that I'm negavite for the sake of being negative, but I'm not. I call it as I see it and I'm right far more often than not. If I saw a reason to be positive, then I would be. Hell I've even said that I'm cautiously optimistic about the long term prospects for this team. But this team has given me very few reasons to be positive and the results on the field show why.

Why not crucify the original poster for trying to get people's hopes up by saying we have a franchise QB after 3 days of ****ing training camp? That premise is far more ridiculous than anything I've said, but no one except me calls him out on it because its what people want to hear.

Meathead
08-02-2013, 09:41 AM
youre negavite alright

Bill Cody
08-02-2013, 09:43 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Ever notice how the team sucks? Ever notice how the overwhelming majority of things I say that make me "Debbie Downer" turn ou to be 100% correct?

Everyone here has this misconception that I'm negavite for the sake of being negative, but I'm not. I call it as I see it and I'm right far more often than not. If I saw a reason to be positive, then I would be. Hell I've even said that I'm cautiously optimistic about the long term prospects for this team. But this team has given me very few reasons to be positive and the results on the field show why.

Why not crucify the original poster for trying to get people's hopes up by saying we have a franchise QB after 3 days of ****ing training camp? That premise is far more ridiculous than anything I've said, but no one except me calls him out on it because its what people want to hear.

Watch the SNL skit. Debbie Downer doesn't say one single thing that isn't true. But guess what? She's still DEBBIE DOWNER.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-02-2013, 09:47 AM

We handled Losman exactly like you want to handle Manuel. He didn't start his rookie year, he sat behind Bledsoe the whole time and got some spot duty.

Well, what vet AVAILABLE to the Bills would have been more a more accomplished QB than Kolb?

IMO, the Bills signed Kolb because he was the best QB available to them in FA.

He is good enough to hold down the fort until EJ is ready to start & will be a good back up QB once EJ wins the starting job..................which could be the first game of the season.

Tarvaris Jackson
Rex Grossman
Jason Campbell

Hell, even Matt Cassel has a pro bowl bid under his belt.

Kolb is a repeatedly injured nobody who is still being overrated because he shared a sideline with Andy Reid.

Ginger Vitis
08-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Rex Grossman

Now you're just being silly

IlluminatusUIUC
08-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Now you're just being silly

He asked who's more accomplished. Kolb hasn't accomplished anything. At least Grossman has a conference ring and a winning record.

Bill Cody
08-02-2013, 09:56 AM

I don't want to see us hold the kid back either. If he wins the job, and it's going to take a lot more than a few days of camp to do that, I say put him in from the jump. I think it's impressive that he is more than holding his own right now. Kolb may be a journeyman but he is an NFL vet. That means a lot despite what OP thinks. Kolb should be considerably ahead of the kid and he isn't, to me that's encouraging.

If Manuel does start we have to live with the good and the bad. Troy Aikman was 1-15 his first year in the league and he's in the Hall of Fame.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-02-2013, 10:02 AM

Remember reading the NFL Transactions list in the paper? Good times, Old times. It went like this "Buffalo - Billy Joe Hobert - Fired"

Bill Cody
08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
We handled Losman exactly like you want to handle Manuel. He didn't start his rookie year, he sat behind Bledsoe the whole time and got some spot duty.

Losman was never better than Bledsoe. He was told in his 2nd year he would be the starter but he never actually earned the job. And nobody on the team bought into it.

Tarvaris Jackson
Rex Grossman
Jason Campbell

Hell, even Matt Cassel has a pro bowl bid under his belt.

Kolb is a repeatedly injured nobody who is still being overrated because he shared a sideline with Andy Reid.

To me you's debating which smells better, cow **** or dog ****. All of those QB's are flawed and that's why none of them are NFL starters now. Kolb is injury prone but he's a better passer than Jackson, less turnover prone than Grossman and more aggressive than Campbell. I actually would take Matt Cassel ahead of Kolb but again who really cares? Any of those guys would be caretakers at best for Manuel.

OpIv37
Watch the SNL skit. Debbie Downer doesn't say one single thing that isn't true. But guess what? She's still DEBBIE DOWNER.

You guys live in a fantasy world where franchise QB's are made after 3 days of camp. I live in the real world. That doesn't make me Debbie Downer.

And once again, the conversation gets derailed because you, Thurm and Hurkey would rather call me "negative" than discuss the topic at hand.

Meathead
does anybody have any concrete info on this idea that manual is 'winning' this qb comp?

if the defense is throwing blitzes that the offense cant handle yet and manual is ripping off long scrambles while kolb isnt, thats good for manual but not really indicative of in-game ability. id like to know who is reading the defense and getting the ball to the right spots instead

but really none of this means anything. they need to get a couple preseason games in before they really can tell anything. i do hope the rookie really wins the job but i still think kolb starts the season

justasportsfan
08-02-2013, 10:14 AM

He did? Where?

IlluminatusUIUC
08-02-2013, 10:17 AM
To me you's debating which smells better, cow **** or dog ****. All of those QB's are flawed and that's why none of them are NFL starters now.

Of course, no one is claiming these guys are great.

Kolb is injury prone but he's a better passer than Jackson,

Their career stats are pretty close actually. If you think Jackson can play closer to his Seattle version then his Minnesota version, then Jackson is actually much better.

less turnover prone than Grossman

True.

I actually would take Matt Cassel ahead of Kolb but again who really cares? Any of those guys would be caretakers at best for Manuel.

Right, and I don't see the point in benching Manuel for any of them. Start him on the opening drive, day 1.

- - - Updated - - -

He did? Where?

Post 3

The Bills have a franchise quarterback, and it shows.

justasportsfan
08-02-2013, 10:17 AM
You guys live in a fantasy world where franchise QB's are made after 3 days of camp. I live in the real world. That doesn't make me Debbie Downer.

this makes you a Debbie downer. No one said he's a franchise qb after 3 days. From what I read the original poster just poster links to people saying EJ is ahead of Kolb. You then turn around and say that he said EJ is a franchise qb which proves you can take anything positive and take it out of context just to feed your negativity.

Bill Cody
08-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Of course, no one is claiming these guys are great.

That's the point. 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Their career stats are pretty close actually. If you think Jackson can play closer to his Seattle version then his Minnesota version, then Jackson is actually much better.

Maybe so but he didn't inspire confidence from the coaches here last year for whatever reason. I would have liked to see him get time last year so see what he had. If we had kept Jackson instead of Kolb I would not have been upset. But I'm fine either way.

Right, and I don't see the point in benching Manuel for any of them. Start him on the opening drive, day 1.

As long as EJ earns it yes. If it's a jump ball EJ wins.

The King
08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Here's one thing you guys are not really considering. If EJ wins the job, it doesn't mean he's the offense.

I remember back when Bledsoe got hurt in 01. In the first two games of the season Antwoine Smith had 21 (10/11)carries combined.
In the third game Brady's first start Smith had 22 carries and he basically did that the entire season.

Even though Brady was the QB, the gameplan revolved around Smith. They ran high completion pass plays and ran the ball a ton, allowing Brady to build confidence and establish a feeling for the game. That's how you ease a QB into the starting roll.

You don't throw him in and say throw 35+ passes a game and expect him to succeed.

justasportsfan
08-02-2013, 10:45 AM
I just worry about EJ vs. the Pats. No matter who starts, we're running the ball all day. I hope.

Mike
08-02-2013, 11:20 AM

And once again, the conversation gets derailed because you, Thurm and Hurkey would rather call me "negative" than discuss the topic at hand.

The problem is that there is nothing to 'discuss'
- The Homers are happy that EJ is showing signs in camp and some are taking it too far
- 3days does not a QB make; Op is keeping the enthusiasm in check, maybe a tiny bit too much

To Op:
Be cautiously excited! Feel free to play the game with yourself, let the excitement overflow and know fully is just a game ;) The excitement is fun but not indicative of the future

Bill Cody
08-02-2013, 12:04 PM
I just worry about EJ vs. the Pats. No matter who starts, we're running the ball all day. I hope.

a lot of running is good, you just have to convert on 3rd down to keep possesion

better days
08-02-2013, 12:14 PM

I agree & I hope to see pressure on Brady all day as well.

Buffalo Thriller
08-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Kolb and Manuel working 1 on 1 with receivers and TEs in the redzone. .
http://youtu.be/_JwjK4UpI4c

The last buffalo fan
08-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Woods Got it too!! :gobills:

BillsImpossible
08-02-2013, 08:59 PM
EJ Manuel to Marquise Goodwin for a 63 yard TD bomb.

Practice ends.

Quite telling.

Meathead
08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
fitz coulda done that

OpIv37
08-02-2013, 09:10 PM
EJ Manuel to Marquise Goodwin for a 63 yard TD bomb.

Practice ends.

Quite telling.

Hopefully it's a harbinger of things to come, but I'll believe it when I see it in live action.

Syderick
08-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Some rookies sit back and then get a chance to start, some are handed the job day 1, and some have to compete for it. Russell Wilson was the only one of last year who really had to fight for his spot. There's no blueprint to guarantee a QB's success. Either he's got "IT" or not. Plus he's also has to have a good team around him as well.

feldspar
08-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Some recent Bills QBs, who shall remain nameless, had "it" too, but hopefully they saw a doctor and got rid of it.

Personally, I hope EJ Manuel WINS the starting job. I think most Bills fans would agree, since he is the long-term franchise QB prospect of this team and Kolb isn't. I mean it would be some kind of small miracle for Kolb to pan out on that level at this point, although the guy has only started 21 games so far and may surprise; stranger things have happened. EJ does exude an extreme amount of confidence in himself and his abilities, which I like quite a bit about him. If it's anywhere close, you gotta go with Manuel. Forget any concept of "ruining him" by starting him too early. From what I see, the guy can handle himself pretty well, and I don't think the challenge itself is too big for him.

Fixxxer
08-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Not where it mattered the most, it seems. I'm sure Vincent breaking his leg was not on purpose but the act of trying to rough the rookie up a little wasn't.

Goobylal
08-04-2013, 07:51 AM
I'd rather hear about how good EJ looks than about him struggling.

DraftBoy
08-04-2013, 07:56 AM
A slight difference that most have not noted is that EJ has the ability to create with his feet, escape the pocket and keep a defense honest. Against a team like NE who I would expect to be aggressive early against a rookie QB that could be a nice equalizer combined with utilizing the read option to keep the end/olb honest.

The bigger question for me against NE is how will a WR corp consisting of at least three rookies (Woods, Goodwin, and Rogers) going to play against a decent NE secondary. That's going to mean a hell of a lot more to Manuel for me at least.

Goobylal
08-04-2013, 09:50 AM
A slight difference that most have not noted is that EJ has the ability to create with his feet, escape the pocket and keep a defense honest. Against a team like NE who I would expect to be aggressive early against a rookie QB that could be a nice equalizer combined with utilizing the read option to keep the end/olb honest.

The bigger question for me against NE is how will a WR corp consisting of at least three rookies (Woods, Goodwin, and Rogers) going to play against a decent NE secondary. That's going to mean a hell of a lot more to Manuel for me at least.
The wide receiver corps, at least the base formation, will have three wide receivers. At present I would expect those to be Stevie, Graham, and just one of the rookies, likely Woods, who reportedly looks like a vet. And outside of Taliban, and Denard who will likely be suspended and or in jail, their secondary isn't that impressive.

Fixxxer
08-04-2013, 09:53 AM

Historically, the Patriots make rookies look awful because Bellichik is good disguising coverages. The rookies take the bait and look bad in the process, add to that, the pressure of going agasint one of the best QBs in the league (I might go to hell)

better days
08-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Historically, the Patriots make rookies look awful because Bellichik is good disguising coverages. The rookies take the bait and look bad in the process, add to that, the pressure of going agasint one of the best QBs in the league (I might go to hell)

Historically, which rookie WR's are you refering to?

Historically the Pats* have had GOOD to GREAT DB's such as Ty Law & Lawyer Milloy.

This Pats* team has no DB's of that quality & will likely start a rookie in the defensive backfield.

OpIv37
08-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Historically the Pats* have had GOOD to GREAT DB's such as Ty Law & Lawyer Milloy.

This Pats* team has no DB's of that quality & will likely start a rookie in the defensive backfield.

uh, what are you talking about? Law and Milloy were a decade ago. They had Assante Samuel but he's been gone for years as well. Even when the Pats were at their peak, DB was the one weak link. They had guys like Patrick Chung and converted WR Troy Brown playing DB.

Fixxxer
08-04-2013, 05:53 PM

I was talking about QBs.

Novacane
08-04-2013, 06:45 PM

You just hated him because they dumped your boy for him

braddavery
08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
We won't know a damn thing about Manuel until he sees regular season defenses. That said, I wish him all the best in everything he does and hope (or pray, lol) he's the next great young QB in the league.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-04-2013, 07:09 PM
I agree. at a very low level, it's good that ej is playing qb as a rookie in practice like any other vet. he looks natural, great leadership, no dear in the headlights, no massive confusion, etc. its a solid start... but when opening day comes, and the real bullets are flying, its a whole new ballgame. but I do hope he is great, and feel confident in his abilities.

better days
08-05-2013, 09:36 AM
uh, what are you talking about? Law and Milloy were a decade ago. They had Assante Samuel but he's been gone for years as well. Even when the Pats were at their peak, DB was the one weak link. They had guys like Patrick Chung and converted WR Troy Brown playing DB.

The post I was responding to said HISTORICALLY!

So which ROOKIE WR's from the time of Law & Milloy to TODAY have the Pats* made look TERRIBLE?

better days
08-05-2013, 09:40 AM
He asked who's more accomplished. Kolb hasn't accomplished anything. At least Grossman has a conference ring and a winning record.

Trent Edwards has a ring but I wouldn't call him accomplished.

better days
08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
I was talking about QBs.

OK, the post you responded to talked of the ROOKIE WR's on the Bills so I thought you were referring to them.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
If Kolb starts, there's got to be a nickname available from this gem: (wiki)

Kolb also enjoys hunting wild hogs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_hog) in his spare time. It may seem dangerous to hunt with just a twelve-inch Bowie knife (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_knife), but Kolb, assured the public, "Our dogs go and find 'em first, and then we stab the pigs. It's a little bit dangerous, but as long as you know what you're doing, you'll be alright."

psubills62
08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
FWIW, mentioned that EJ was getting positive feedback to some FSU fans. They didn't seem to surprised, said he stands out in practice, but not in games. Also said checking down to the RB was a big issue.

Not sure how true it is, but figured I'd pass it along. Let's hope he works well in the offense.

Meathead
08-05-2013, 09:55 AM
wild boar bowie hunting crazy wild ass fragile crazy wild redneck cracker?

better days
08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
wild boar bowie hunting crazy wild ass fragile crazy wild redneck cracker?

While that all may be true, it is a bit long for a nickname.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Trent Edwards has a ring but I wouldn't call him accomplished.

When did Trent get a ring?

And Grossman actually got his ring as a starting QB.

Ginger Vitis
08-05-2013, 12:12 PM
And Grossman actually got his ring as a starting QB.

A NFC champions ring.. whoop dee do..Rex Grossman worst QB ever to start a Super Bowl

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
A NFC champions ring.. whoop dee do..Rex Grossman worst QB ever to start a Super Bowl

And? He's better than Kolb is what I'm saying.

I think it's telling that the people coming after me for criticizing Kolb's 'accomplishments' can't or won't list any of said accomplishments.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-05-2013, 12:53 PM
It's not even close according to numerous reports. Listening to WGR today I heard how Kolb hasn't performed very well and the young rookie looks very good in comparison. A prominent national sports reporter (forgot the name) said he knew Manuel was the better of the two QB's almost instantly.

EJ Manuel is already creating a buzz around the NFL. In the grand scheme of the franchise, this is the most excellent news I've read about the Buffalo Bills in more than a decade.

Bills rookie QB EJ Manuel Has Look of Day 1 Starter
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--bills-rookie-qb-ej-manuel-has-look-of-a-day-1-starter--022958756.html

Comparing Geno Smith and EJ Manuel
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap2000000223407/Comparing-Geno-Smith-and-EJ-Manuel

Buffalo Bills: Why EJ Manuel Will Win QB Training Camp Battle Over Kevin Kolb
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1720611-buffalo-bills-why-ej-manuel-will-win-qb-training-camp-battle-over-kevin-kolb

Why EJ Manuel Will Start Week One For Buffalo Bills
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/07/31/why-ej-manuel-will-start-week-one-for-buffalo-bills/

I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for the preseason!

The only thing EJ Manuel lacks is experience.

Bills vs. Colts preseason game 1 is only 10 days away.

"Can you believe it, Murph?" as Van Miller would say.

Sorry to be a sad sack/negative nancy/ whatever but I've watched this team for too long to think this is saying all that much. I mean is this saying that EJ is looking like a great qb or merely that EJ is the best qb we have in camp? Its sort of like saying Lincoln Prep was the best High School in the KCMSD. True, Lincoln was the best school in the KCMSD, but only because its students met or surpassed state testing standards whereas none of the other schools did. Compared to a private or suburban school, Lincoln looks very average. So is EJ compared to say a Brady, a Manning, or Brees or just the other lumps of **** . . . uh other qb castoffs in camp?

Bill Cody
08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
And? He's better than Kolb is what I'm saying.

I think it's telling that the people coming after me for criticizing Kolb's 'accomplishments' can't or won't list any of said accomplishments.

hmmm....this is a stretch

I watched Rex Grossman pretty closely with the Bears. Mostly I saw that defense winning games for them not Rex. I mean Rob Johnson has a SB ring, you sure you want to go there?

Bill Cody
08-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Sorry to be a sad sack/negative nancy/

no you're not sorry

And yes we're all saying EJ = Manning and Brady. Get his bust ready for Canton.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
hmmm....this is a stretch

I watched Rex Grossman pretty closely with the Bears. Mostly I saw that defense winning games for them not Rex. I mean Rob Johnson has a SB ring, you sure you want to go there?

Ok, let's start over because people are seriously going wacko with this.

The question posed was 'Who could we have gotten this offseason that was more accomplished than Kolb?"

More. Accomplished.

Kolb has done jack all in his career. He has yet to finish a full season and only once even half a season. He has a career losing record. He has been dumped off teams to keep the likes of John Skelton and Mike Kafka.

He's a nobody, a bum, completely useless. Why the hell are people going on and on about him like he's some kind of established steady veteran? If Miami or New York had signed him, we'd be laughing our balls off.

And since you mention Grossman's defense winning games for him, let's talk about Kolb's signature win over New England last year. One in which Arizona's defense held one of the best offenses in NFL history to 18 points at home, and in which Gronk, the best tight end in football, dropped the game tying 2 point conversion AND took two penalties just before they attempted what should have been the game winning field goal.

ublinkwescore
08-05-2013, 01:52 PM
We should bring in Kyle Boller.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 02:39 PM
We should bring in Kyle Boller.

So is anyone going to actually give a reason why we should have brought in Kolb? What are his accomplishments?

Beebe's Kid
08-05-2013, 03:12 PM
So is anyone going to actually give a reason why we should have brought in Kolb? What are his accomplishments?
There are none. You won this argument with your first post. The rest has just been a bunch of people trying to prove some point that doesn't exist.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-05-2013, 05:49 PM

hes insurance with some slight upside and potential...

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
hes insurance with some slight upside and potential...

You want the "insurance" to be somewhat durable, don't you think? This guy couldn't even survive the walk to the practice field.

And what upside? What potential?

better days
08-05-2013, 06:07 PM

Kolb was the BEST QB available to the Bills in FA.

Even if EJ is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady like, a team needs more than one QB.

YOU name a QB you would rather have had the Bills sign than Kolb.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Kolb was the BEST QB available to the Bills in FA.

Even if EJ is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady like, a team needs more than one QB.

YOU name a QB you would rather have had the Bills sign than Kolb.

I already named 4. Of them Jackson would be the "best" choice. I would have even taken a no-guaranteed deal on Timmy Teebz, like the Pats did.

better days
08-05-2013, 06:24 PM
I already named 4. Of them Jackson would be the "best" choice. I would have even taken a no-guaranteed deal on Timmy Teebz, like the Pats did.

So I guess you have no faith in Marrone's judgement. Might as well fire him NOW!

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
So I guess you have no faith in Marrone's judgement. Might as well fire him NOW!

Why should I have faith in Marrone's judgment? What has he done to earn the benefit of the doubt?

better days
08-05-2013, 06:34 PM

And I thought I had Marrone on a SHORT leash, but if you don't trust his judgement on choosing Kolb over Jackson or anyone else, then I guess he should be FIRED NOW.

Why prolong the AGONY? If Marrone can't evaluate talent better than YOU, he needs to go!

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
And I thought I had Marrone on a SHORT leash, but if you don't trust his judgement on choosing Kolb over Jackson or anyone else, then I guess he should be FIRED NOW.

Why prolong the AGONY? If Marrone can't evaluate talent better than YOU, he needs to go!

First off, I don't believe for one single solitary second that you're serious about wanting him fired if he doesn't go 8-8 or whatever.

Second, I don't know that the Kolb/Jackson/whatever decision was made at his level. With our confused GM situation this offseason, its difficult to tell who was responsible for some of these moves including the decision to take Manuel over Nassib in the first place.

Third, Marrone is going to rise and fall on his gameday coaching and preparation, not personnel IMO. And we haven't seen that yet.

better days
08-05-2013, 08:12 PM
First off, I don't believe for one single solitary second that you're serious about wanting him fired if he doesn't go 8-8 or whatever.

Second, I don't know that the Kolb/Jackson/whatever decision was made at his level. With our confused GM situation this offseason, its difficult to tell who was responsible for some of these moves including the decision to take Manuel over Nassib in the first place.

Third, Marrone is going to rise and fall on his gameday coaching and preparation, not personnel IMO. And we haven't seen that yet.

FIRST off, I did not say 8-8. I said Marrone needs to WIN 6 games MINIMUM or be FIRED & I am serious as a Heart Attack about that.

Second, the GM situation was not confused at all. It was a VERY SMOOTH PLANNED transition. It was a GROUP DECISION to draft Manuel as it was ALL players drafted & all players to be drafted in the future. And Marrone may not have had TOTAL say over Kolb over Jackson, BUT I'm sure he had MAJOR IMPUT on it.

Third, I agree WINS & LOSSES will be decided by gameday Coaching & preparation, not personnel. That is the reason I say Marrone NEEDS to win at least 6 games or be fired.

And I have NO DOUBT Marrone played a MAJOR role in Kolb winning the QB job over TJ, so if you are not happy about that, then you don't trust Marrone's talent evaluation & should want him fired.