• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

My Thoughts on EJ

I didn't get to watch the game until late last night so rather than sift through and try to get my analysis out there on page 5+ of most threads I figure I'll start fresh. It is Monday morning after all.

Manuel started out rough, he was getting the ball where it needed to be technically speaking but he was either behind or ahead of his receivers, forcing the wideouts to adjust therefore killing any chance for YAC.

It wasn't until his scramble where you really started to see him settle in a bit. And it was almost as if he was apprehensive to run. Like Vick last year, trying to prove he could be a pocket guy.

But even with his early struggles, I don't think I ever saw a ball that was going to be easily intercepted. It seemed he was doing his best to protect the football.

After the scramble and before the 2 minute drill, he was doing a really good job in the pocket, taking that extra step in one direction or another to buy himself the time, and he was certainly making his progressions. It's a type of composure we haven't seen in quite some time. And IMO it's the biggest takeaway from his first game.

The two minute drive you saw hime come alive. It was against tier 2 and 3 defenders, but it was the tempo, quick reads, and the precision that really made it exciting. And as the defense wore down you started to see the WR's find space and start to make plays. The entire offense was clicking and were very much aware of the sidelines and their gaps. I can honestly say I don't think I ever saw this type of execution under Gailey.

Based on what I saw EJ isn't ready to start against a top flight defense yet, his throws against the first unit showed some nerves and he could get a receiver killed having to make an adjustment like that while lined-up against LB's. Maybe it was first game jitters, and hopefully we see him pick up where he left off. But most crucial thing I saw is that Hackett and Marrone are going to protect his confidence they're not going to put him in a position to make mistakes, and that will help speed up his development and whether or not he's under center week 1.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: My Thoughts on EJ

I thought bot QBs showed a lot of poise.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Way too early to form an opinion on Manuel and how he'll do, but, he was averaging just over 3 ypa against the Colt 1st team. That's obviously gotta change, and for a guy w/ a gun for an arm, it makes one wonder what was going on. That's fine to get his feet wet, but the staff needs to take at least some shots downfield or this is going to be a long season even at 3-13 or whatever.

That short dink dunk game isn't going to help his development. Now that they got that out of the way hopefully they'll let him do more next game against the first teamers of Minnesota.

You don't want to throw him into the fire but you also don't want to coddle him.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        I thought bot QBs showed a lot of poise.
        Not against the Colts' 1st team I didn't. He looked much better against their 2s and 3s on that one drive that was actually a very good drive. That was a good warmup for him.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I was pleasantly surprised by Tuel as well. The guy threw the ball very well and mostly on target and a lot of zip.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

I love than EJ's legs are now a weapon and his size could be a factor in trying to take him down.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OLDSRIP
              • Dec 2008

I see a lot of love for EJ and Tuel. But no one has mentioned Kolb? I was keeping my eye on him and he didn't fall once from what I saw.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                Escaped Convict
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                Way too early to form an opinion on Manuel and how he'll do, but, he was averaging just over 3 ypa against the Colt 1st team. That's obviously gotta change, and for a guy w/ a gun for an arm, it makes one wonder what was going on. That's fine to get his feet wet, but the staff needs to take at least some shots downfield or this is going to be a long season even at 3-13 or whatever.

That short dink dunk game isn't going to help his development. Now that they got that out of the way hopefully they'll let him do more next game against the first teamers of Minnesota.

You don't want to throw him into the fire but you also don't want to coddle him.
                I noticed that, too. But I chalked it up to a compromise between getting him reps and avoiding getting him hurt. Plus, I read in a few places that he was really wound tightly before the game, so easing him in was probably a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                X