3 biggest surprises & 3 biggest disappointments (so far)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

3 biggest surprises & 3 biggest disappointments (so far)

I would like to share my 3 biggest surprises and 3 biggest disappointments, so far. I would also like to see what you, the Billszone community has to say about this topic as well.

Here are my 3 biggest disappointments:
    1.) Kevin Kolb- Easy no-brainer of a choice, and I'm sure the masses agree with me on this. I live in NC, so don't have the luxury to go to training camp. From what I've read about camp, and what I saw versus Minnesota, was not good. He has never been accurate, which is a big time concern, especially since we all still have a Ryan Fitzpatrick hangover!! The fact, that a veteran guy, doesn't at least have an advantage over EJ Manuel on overall grasp of the offense, is a big red flag as well. To me, Kevin Kolb is a guy that is gonna surprise you from time to time with some good looking drives, but alot of the time, he's a 3 and out qb, b/c of propensity to throw behind his receivers.

2.) Da'rick Rogers- Kind of hard to put him here b/c he caught a td against Indy & he hasn't really gotten reps like you'd expect. There is a reason he hasn't gotten the reps though; he's not as good as Easley & Hogan, and maybe even Kauffman. I think Manuel & Tuel have been so good so far, that if your open, they'll get you the ball, and he just doesn't get open as much as these guys. He's been decent, and in other years, he would make this team, but this year, baring any injuries, I think Hogan & Easley have clearly seperated themselves.

3.) Doug Legursky- I thought when we signed this guy, he'd be a prime candidate to a surprise starter, but he has been below average. He'll make the team, but he better step it up!!

3 biggest surprises: (I could throw Manuel on here, but I left him off, b/c the fact that he's good isn't that much of a surpass to me)

1.) Jerry Hughes- We all probably thought nothing of that trade with Indy, except we were happy to see Shepp in another uniform. This guy has looked real good, and has shown the ability to make big plays. He's versatile, and maybe this coaching staff can develop something that the Indy coaching staff could not.

2.) Nickell Robey & Ron Brooks- This is a no-brainer of a choice to me. Robey especially. Robey was a guy that I wrote off as another failed attempt at a "db with promise" (as we have had what seems like 500 the past 8-9 years). This guy has been our best corner, besides Gilmour. He's also shown ability to return punts, which is an added bonus!! Brooks, minus the stupid penalty versus Indy, has looked like one of the most improved players under this new coaching regime. He hits like a ton of bricks, and seems like a guy that can make big plays when you need him too!!

3.) Chris Hogan & Marquise Goodwin- Both of these guys are completely different, but I couldn't choose just 1 and leave the other out. In Hogan, we have a poor man's Wes Welker. This guy is always open, and I think he's going to surprise alot of people this year. Goodwin is the ultimate homerun threat. He's so fast, and he is the definition of a guy you have to watch play b/c you never know when he's going to do something great!!

Honorable mention: Kiko Alonso, Marcus Easley, Manny Lawson, and, this whole coaching staff

Go Bills!!

What say you???
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

Re: 3 biggest surprises & 3 biggest disappointments (so far)

I'm such a dummy b/c I forgot Jeff Tuel. As good as Manuel has been, Tuel has looked just as good, if not better. He's extremely accurate, and I guess the only knock on him is he has done this versus 3rd stringers. I say, we should start him versus Washington, and give him an opportunity to face 1st teamers. I don't think that is going to happen, but if it did, I betcha he outplays Fitz, I mean Kolb...
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• sting32
      • Oct 2008

Explain your Hogan is a poor mans Wes Welker comment. I've watched both of them play and I don't see it. Just curious where you drew the comparison from.
      http://www.webgamestats.com/nfa.aspx

http://www.eteamz.com/MonroeCountySting/

http://www.nyafl.org/forums/cmps_index.php

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sting32 View Post
        Explain your Hogan is a poor mans Wes Welker comment. I've watched both of them play and I don't see it. Just curious where you drew the comparison from.
        They're both white. It's why EJ Manuel can only be compared to Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Vince Young, and JaMarcus Russell.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Bert102176
          • Aug 2002

Warren Moon is the greatest black QB ever we can only hope that we can compare EJ to him someday
          lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• GingerP
            • Aug 2012

Yeah, they aren't anything alike. I have heard Miles Austin as a comparison, but that could be because both played at Monmouth. They are about the same size/speed.

Hogan is a unique case because he hardly played college football. I can't think of too many guys at WR with as little experience as he had coming into the NFL. That is likely why he bounced around until now, any guy that raw needs time to develop. He has the athletic skill to be an NFL player, though, and has proven to be a real find.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Bert102176 View Post
              Warren Moon is the greatest black QB ever we can only hope that we can compare EJ to him someday
              I would rather be able to compare him to quarterbacks that have won Super Bowls.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Disappointments:
                1) Da'Rick Rogers
                2) Da'Norris Searcy
                3) EJ getting hurt

Surprises:
                1) Nickell Robey
                2) Kiko Alonso
                3) The solid play from the team

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Bert102176 View Post
                  I would actually rate Cunningham higher despite the fact that he didn't have the career longetivity and wasn't as durable due to his role. He was also a more efficient passer, particularly for a QB with over 4,000 career rushing yards.

Moon's W/L record also wasn't nearly as good at about .500.

If you're going by straight career yards or total wins, apart from W/L pct., then Moon has it. Otherwise Cunningham was a better QB IMO.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

How is Rogers a disappointment exactly? He was a UDFA WR with minimal expectations. Additionally multiple outlets have raved about his practice performances which weigh heavily in the pre-season.

Disappointments:
                    1. Searcy
                    2. Injuries (Stevie and EJ)
                    3. CB play

Surprises:
                    1. Butler
                    2. Hughes
                    3. Hogan
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I wouldn't call Kolb a disappointment only because I fully expected him to be this bad.

I mean Tarvaris Jackson sucks too but he's capable of going 11 for 23 with no TD's and a pick in preseason.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mayotm
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I wouldn't call Kolb a disappointment only because I fully expected him to be this bad.

I mean Tarvaris Jackson sucks too but he's capable of going 11 for 23 with no TD's and a pick in preseason.
                        Op, you can just list 6 disappointments since I'm sure you can't possibly find 3 positive surprises.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Bad

1. Searcy - Looks lost
                          2. DaBong Rogers - Internet legend
                          3. Kolb - Not even sure he's a good #2. Skins game will speak volumes.

Good

1. Jerry Hughes - looks unblockable. We got him for Sheppard ? Incredible.
                          2. Aaron Williams - looks very good at Safety. Instictive.
                          3. Pettines D - Especially the front 7. Attacking from all angles and applying real pressure, not imagined.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Good Surpise
                            Even though it's just preseason, we're learning how to win. We're changing our losing culture!

Bad surprise
                            It's preseason and it doesn't count
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

They're both white and play in the slot. Other then that I don't see that much in common either.

Comment

Working...
                              X