• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Marrone on EJ using his cell phone

Interesting.

“I told him, you have to be smart about it. Initially, you have this down time after the procedure, which is a short down time. And you’re on the phone quite a bit, talking to everyone. And I told him, what you’re doing is, you’re putting yourself in a bad situation where you’re conditioning other people to talk to you at this time, which you’re not going to have during the year. You’re taking up your time to do that, and then you’re going to have to transition back to a working type atmosphere. I said, we don’t want to go that route.”

• ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: Marrone on EJ using his cell phone

Marrone is walking a fine line here. These are 18 year olds coming to Syracuse where you have total control of them. These are million dollar athletes who can just easily tune you out. I understand Marrone's position though: be professional and use professional time for professional usage. If he's successful, he can be our Jimy Johnson.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
      Marrone is walking a fine line here. These are 18 year olds coming to Syracuse where you have total control of them. These are million dollar athletes who can just easily tune you out. I understand Marrone's position though: be professional and use professional time for professional usage. If he's successful, he can be our Jimy Johnson.
      Marrone has been in the NFL. He knows how to deal with NFL players.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

I think this is spot on. He's preparing EJ to be a franchise guy. If Manuel can become the quarterback we're all hoping he can be than this stuff is important. Marrone is preparing him to be Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan on and off the field. EJ is 23, he's a now a professional athlete with a lot of pressure, kudo's to a coach who's trying to help him balance everything.

Marrone and EJ will be forever linked. So it's in the coach's best interest to stay on top of him.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
          • Sep 2004

It's a good point, hopefully EJ sees the light behind it, the small things like that really add up.

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

When you're on-the-clock you're on your employer's nickel.

Unless it's a call to family/wife, etc., or another reasonable call that can't wait, cell phones should not be used during work hours.

I had a Walmart clerk texting while I was waiting to check out one day. I waited nearly a minute for her to finish.
            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
            Originally Posted by pmoon6
            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Emergency or business use only, that's about all.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                When you're on-the-clock you're on your employer's nickel.

Unless it's a call to family/wife, etc., or another reasonable call that can't wait, cell phones should not be used during work hours.

I had a Walmart clerk texting while I was waiting to check out one day. I waited nearly a minute for her to finish.
                You poor thing. And to think she made almost 12 cents while you sat there and waited. She shouldn't have treated you with so much indignity, while your standing at Wal-Mart was securing her trading the hours of her life for $7.25 and no healthcare to get treated like **** by people that think she needs to treat them with some unreasonable level of respect, which is not reciprocated at all.

Just curious...what if her mother was in the hospital, or one of her kids was sick, or something that you would have deemed a reasonable excuse to use the phone? You don't. You implied her reasons, and did so negatively because you waited for almost an entire minute. It sounds like you call your family during working hours, hence it being an acceptable reason, but can't stand if somebody else does.

Who give a ****? We are all on a one way trip to the crematorium anyway, and if you have to trade the hours of your day for a sack of nickels, and you actually have the opportunity to speak to somebody that isn't only interested in what you can do for them...go for it.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

Yeah, I think that's totally fair. When you're on the job, you're on the job. Can't run, find something you can do.

What I'm not 100% sure about is Marrone passing this along to the media. If it was a question he was responding to, fine. But otherwise that seems like one of those little conversations with a new employee that should probably stay in-house.
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid View Post
                    You poor thing. And to think she made almost 12 cents while you sat there and waited. She shouldn't have treated you with so much indignity, while your standing at Wal-Mart was securing her trading the hours of her life for $7.25 and no healthcare to get treated like **** by people that think she needs to treat them with some unreasonable level of respect, which is not reciprocated at all.

Just curious...what if her mother was in the hospital, or one of her kids was sick, or something that you would have deemed a reasonable excuse to use the phone? You don't. You implied her reasons, and did so negatively because you waited for almost an entire minute. It sounds like you call your family during working hours, hence it being an acceptable reason, but can't stand if somebody else does.

Who give a ****? We are all on a one way trip to the crematorium anyway, and if you have to trade the hours of your day for a sack of nickels, and you actually have the opportunity to speak to somebody that isn't only interested in what you can do for them...go for it.
                    Someone needs a hug.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                      • Sep 2004

"They make a dollar while I make a dime, so here I ****, on company time."

This is what goes through my head as I poop at work, daily.

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                        • Mar 2007

Maybe if she understood respect and was not using company time for her own personal time she would not be making 7.25 an hour. I never feel bad someone if they work at low paying jobs. They can control what they make. If they do not like it go back and learn a skill that will make them money. People have the ability to better themselves but would rather be handed the 75k-100k a year job then have to go out and work for it or go out and learn something new. It should not matter if you make $1 or $1000 you should always put forth the best effort you can at work. It is a matter of self respect to me and knowing I can always say I gave 110% at work no matter the situation.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

How does a minimum wage job come up when you're paying a guy a ~$1,000 an hour to pay attention at work ?

Comment

• gebobs
                            One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                            • Sep 2003

Marrone's a genius! I'm so glad this snippet was pointed out and we now have a thread where we can rejoice the fact that we are now certainly going to the Super Bowl and EJ is going to be a perennial MVP.
                            Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X