• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Bills Toronto Series over after 2018?

A renewed lease for the Toronto Argonauts to play at Rogers Centre will effectively serve as notice to vacate, clearing the way for grass to be installed for baseball no later than 2018.

The Toronto Blue Jays have determined it is possible to grow and maintain a grass playing surface inside the facility by digging up the floor, adding a drainage system and topping it with about 30 centimetres of dirt.

Argonauts chief executive Chris Rudge understands the Blue Jays intend to play on grass.

“They can’t do it with the Argos there, and more to the point, the Argos can’t play there if they have grass,” he said.

It would be especially complicated to maintain natural turf in the indoor stadium, despite its retractable roof, with football cleats chewing it up. So, with the CFL schedule intersecting baseball seasons by up to four months, there will be no room for the Argos at the inn.
    The article is about the Argos not being able to play in SkyDome after grass is installed... Curious if it means that the Bills would no longer be able to play there as well...

If nothing else, it most likely means that the Bills won't be moving to Toronto... Not that they ever were going to, anyway.

Also wondering of the numbers for renewing the series ever came out...? I haven't seen them as of yet.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM.
  • Homegrown
    Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
    • Jul 2008

Re: Bills Toronto Series over after 2018?

it is possible to grow and maintain grass inside the facility by digging up the floor, adding a drainage system and topping it with about 30 centimetres of dirt.
    sounds like the Rogers Centre is about to become one enormous grow-up....

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Has anything positive come from the Toronto series, aside from maybe more money in Ralph's pocket?

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

I hope this is true......
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Should have never started.

Comment

• ckg927
            Not quite Best in the World....
            • Aug 2012

And THAT should put to an end ANY dreams of A. the Bills moving to Toronto and B. Toronto ever getting an NFL team.
            John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
            David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
              Has anything positive come from the Toronto series, aside from maybe more money in Ralph's pocket?
              Without the season ticket demographics or apparel sales numbers it would be impossible to know.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

I'd like to think that if either was positive, the team would let it be known. God knows that every time something is a success, Jerry Jones make sure we all know about it.
                Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                Without the season ticket demographics or apparel sales numbers it would be impossible to know.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
                  And THAT should put to an end ANY dreams of A. the Bills moving to Toronto and B. Toronto ever getting an NFL team.
                  For me, this is the big thing that I take out of this... Canada isn't going to build a football stadium and, if the SkyDome can't be used for football, that pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for them getting an NFL team.

-Bill

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                    For me, this is the big thing that I take out of this... Canada isn't going to build a football stadium and, if the SkyDome can't be used for football, that pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for them getting an NFL team.

-Bill
                    The Argos have to play somewhere. My guess is whatever they build for them won't be NFL quality but they have to build a football stadium of some sort if the Jays convert to grass.

This isn't the nail in the coffin for a team playing in Toronto but it makes it a lot less likely, especially in the short term.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle14211436/

The article is about the Argos not being able to play in SkyDome after grass is installed... Curious if it means that the Bills would no longer be able to play there as well...

If nothing else, it most likely means that the Bills won't be moving to Toronto... Not that they ever were going to, anyway.

Also wondering of the numbers for renewing the series ever came out...? I haven't seen them as of yet.

-Bill
                      If the Argos can't play there, they will need a new Stadium & the Bills can play in it as well as the Argos.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

-Bill
                        If the Argos can't play in the Skydome, of course they will build a new Stadium for them, but as Op said, probably not like the NEW NFL Stadiums, probably more like the Ralph with a wider field.

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

By then Wilson will be 100. My money says that he never makes it.

Will the team even be in Buffalo then? Who knows, but my money says no.

Naturally the question begging to be answered is will the Bills even be in Buffalo at that point? If not, then it's all moot anyway.
                          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                          Originally Posted by pmoon6
                          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            By then Wilson will be 100. My money says that he never makes it.

Will the team even be in Buffalo then? Who knows, but my money says no.

Naturally the question begging to be answered is will the Bills even be in Buffalo at that point? If not, then it's all moot anyway.
                            Of course the Bills will be in Buffalo. They are not even being mentioned as a possibility for LA any longer.

IF LA ever does get another existing team, it will most likely be the Raiders or Chargers with the Rams as the dark horse.

Comment

• ckg927
                              Not quite Best in the World....
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              If the Argos can't play in the Skydome, of course they will build a new Stadium for them, but as Op said, probably not like the NEW NFL Stadiums, probably more like the Ralph with a wider field.
                              Or more like the new stadium being built for the Hamilton Tiger Cats, which won't debut for another season or so.
                              John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                              David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

Working...
                              X